Author Topic: Virtual Private Networks...do you use them?  (Read 6027 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Virtual Private Networks...do you use them?
« on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 21:57:53 »
If you use a VPN, do you use free or paid? What VPNs have you tried and what do you like?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Re: Virtual Private Networks...do you use them?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 22:02:04 »
My bf uses a paid VPN (Private Internet Access) and he likes it well enough so far, says the speeds are ok. What are you looking to use one for?

http://www.reddit.com/r/VPN/comments/19atgi/privateinternecaccess_says_they_do_not_keep_logs/

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 February 2013, 22:10:44 by missalaire »
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Input Nirvana

Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 23:00:03 »
A couple highly rated freebies:
http://www.anchorfree.com
http://proxpn.com

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 11:13:01 »
i setup a vpn at my small office using windows server 2012 with a static IP from the cable company.  not a bad setup if you have the hardware laying around.

Active directory
DDNS
VPN
Fileshare
Print server
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:38:35 »
I've always wanted to give a VPN a try, but never tried -- I figured the lag would be too much.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:55:54 »
What use of VPN would you be refering to? I have to rely on Cisco AnyConnect to connect to my work office from my home office and i hate how its so proprietary, someone made a openconnect client for linux but thats about it. and I use Vypr VPN for private browsing on computer/phone as it comes with my giganews membership. pretty cool stuff to dodge ip tracking :D

Offline nar

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 15:17:15 »
I mainly use VPNs for spoofing my location, US, Japan etc... for places that give you the, You can't access this site from your country BS.

Though funny enough the most used VPN I have is the VPN I set up at my house to let me access the full internet while in China.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline pby

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 20:00:14 »
I use a paid vpn to act as a proxy so I can watch hulu. I also use hamachi so I can play older games with my friends over the net

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 20:04:28 »
http://btguard.com works great, two exit points available too so if you want you can exit out of CA and still watch netflix :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 20:23:17 »
Only AT&T, Verizon, Time Warner Cable, Comcast, and Cablevision are implement this CAS system, so I see not using any of their service the best plan.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 February 2013, 20:25:12 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 21:18:32 »
I own a small IT consulting firm, so I use VPN to connect to my customer's networks all the time.  I would never pay for a VPN, that's just silly, you might be paying someone to spy on you.  If you VPN to a network you don't control, you have no idea if they are sniffing your traffic.  Yes it's encrypted over the internet to the remote end, but from the remote VPN network they could be monitoring everything you do because you are routing all of your traffic through them to get out to the internet.  Proceed with caution.  LOL @ nar, I used VPN the last time I was laid off to collect unemployment before deciding to start my own company because I got tired of layoffs.  It was like the 3rd time I got laid off, because of the crappy economy. I took off to the Philippines for a while, so I VPN'd so that when I filed online would show up as a local IP address and not be suspicious, and also for the you can't access this site from your country BS.  Glad that part of my life is done.  Now I create jobs, instead of hoping I don't get laid off six months after starting a new job.

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 22:51:33 »
Incidental triggering of copyright infringement scanners is a truly worrisome prospect. Now that 6 strikes is in effect you can count on it being abused and callously mis-applied. VPNs will come under scrutiny under this law, so the only real alternative short-mid term is to use VPNs that are complete end-to-end, and better that its anonymized.

I2P fills the bill here, if you are content interacting only with other I2P users; the good news is that it has been growing steadily and someday might conceivably challenge the norm of in-the-clear Internet access for everyday use. Tor could conceivably fit the bill here, but last I checked it was only suitable for interacting with web pages (and even so, 98+% of its use is not end-to-end, but used to access naive sites); plus, it doesn't have the routing architecture to handle P2P which is the main aim of the 6 strikes law.

As the name implies, I2P is intended to be robust enough to handle even P2P traffic. My experience suggests it works well but won't set any speed records. A download that took 90 minutes over bare bittorrent would realistically take 90 hours over an I2P torrent-- you have to be more patient.

In other news: The editors at Bloomberg recently announced that profits at the largest financial institutions are due to "corporate welfare".
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 13:02:25 »
6 strikes is not a law, it's something that is being implemented voluntarily by those ISP to appease their media providers, as you will note they are also all involved in cable/iptv broadcasting.

Offline Burz

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:28:08 »
I stand corrected... However there are other countries where such a scheme is law, no?

PRIVATE TRACKERS..... Problem Solved. :D

But you have to trust them completely. Not so with fully anonymized torrents (like I2P... not the kind where only tracker info is piped through Tor).

Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 21:10:30 »
Only AT&T, Verizon, Time Warner Cable, Comcast, and Cablevision are implement this CAS system, so I see not using any of their service the best plan.

That idea tends to work better when there are alternatives.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 03:29:10 »
I stand corrected... However there are other countries where such a scheme is law, no?

PRIVATE TRACKERS..... Problem Solved. :D

But you have to trust them completely. Not so with fully anonymized torrents (like I2P... not the kind where only tracker info is piped through Tor).

Nothing is fully anonymized...

I rather bet on the hopes that there's a GUY who will press the delete button and or hammer to harddrive client data..

Because with the encrytion people, they're just in it for the experiment..

With the Private tracker people, it's something known as P2P Passion.

Offline Burz

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 10:56:24 »
I rather bet on the hopes that there's a GUY who will press the delete button and or hammer to harddrive client data..

Has that ever really happened? Even hushmail turned against its users.

Because with the encrytion people, they're just in it for the experiment..

I think you mean 'anonymity people' (VPNs are based on encryption too). If they lose their taste for experimentation, their users have far less to worry about.

At this stage, I'd rather be dealing with precautions than with passion.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 11:48:57 »
Yes there are other countries that have national monitoring and filtering and if politicians on the payrolls of RIAA/MPAA have their way the US will too.

In most places there is at least one other ISP choice. Though you might not have the higher speeds, it is a trade off of being slower all the time, or just some of the time when they decide to throttle your connection speed. It could be irrelevant I suppose in the end speed wise but you don't have to deal with getting nastygrams telling you are a bad person for using torrents.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2013, 11:50:55 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 12:36:07 »
Signed up for a month of privateinternetaccess.com to try it out

I had a co-worker explain to me that the "six strikes" arrangement won't work in any case, because your ISP is not legally allowed to share what exactly you're doing on your internets. I'm using the VPN anyways lol.

i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Burz

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 17:27:53 »
Signed up for a month of privateinternetaccess.com to try it out

I had a co-worker explain to me that the "six strikes" arrangement won't work in any case, because your ISP is not legally allowed to share what exactly you're doing on your internets. I'm using the VPN anyways lol.

In the amoeba-like corporate world, that is no impediment to them. ISPs have been merging with Hollywood studios, so they can at least try to detect (or electronically hallucinate) infringement on the content they do own. Also, the USA has a history of 'deputizing' investigation outfits that are run by private industry-- the BSA can raid your home or business, for instance, because most local law enforcement take their claims at face value.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 18:13:04 »
I think he was referring to the Exclusionary Rule. The people who obtained evidence that someone was doing something illegal, obtained that information by crossing their constitutional rights. So that evidence can be voided.

Offline Burz

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 20:35:17 »
I think he was referring to the Exclusionary Rule. The people who obtained evidence that someone was doing something illegal, obtained that information by crossing their constitutional rights. So that evidence can be voided.

That's what I had inferred. However, conduct and attitudes within the establishment notwithstanding, when the content and the links are owned by the same entity then they can pursue you constitutionally.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 20:38:51 »
I can't deny it does scare me. A little money invested in the encrypted VPN tunnels is a good security measure in any case.

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 20:54:42 »
I've had a seedbox for about 3 years now.  Only private trackers are permitted but you get great speeds and are able to build great ratios.
Originally I got one as I was spending a year in France (which had just introduced a 3 strikes law at the time) but kept it going after I came back simply because it was so convenient.
Personally I think it's a better solution than using a VPN.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 12:56:15 »
It seems to me that VPN in various forms should be getting more used/popular due to concerns of general privacy, and of course security. I'm sure I'm not secure enough as it is. But I don't use things like social media/names/pics because it makes me feel uncomfortable. Plus, who wants peeps from the past having a finger on what/where you are now? Kinda creepy.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 17:47:28 »
As far as free VPNs go, I'm seeing that data transfer rates are quite slow...prohibitively slow for any sizable amount of information. The daily/monthly maximum is anywhere from low to reasonable. And some have restrictions on torrents and other items. I haven't looked at very many, but this has seemed to be somewhat consistent so far. Some seem ok for certain usage, but not for others. Paid may be the only all encompassing solution, or a Seedbox, which I'm also unfamiliar with.

Offline Trent

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 21:18:51 »
ipredator.se

Cheap, and no snooping.  Enjoy!
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 01:15:43 »
Only VPN I use is for work.

I stopped torrenting stuff a while ago, once I started making enough money to legally purchase my content/apps/games.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 17:37:54 »
Funny - this thread showed up just when I got interested in the matter.

I also recently registered to a VPN service just to spoof my IP for Netflix.

Meanwhile I learned about DD-WRT - A custom firmware to beef up many different routers. One of the neat feature is the implementation of OpenVPN. Which work with many VPN providers.

So I bought an Asus RT-N16 router with load of CPU power and memory (you need at leas 8Mg of flash to get the OpenVPN feature)
Then I set the WAN Interface of the router to connect to the VPN provider with OpenVPN.

And finally hooked up my Network aware media devices on the lan/WiFi Interface of that router.

Now my TV (somewhere in Canada) loads Netflix USA which has a much broader selection than its Canadian counterpart.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 22:35:55 »
Funny - this thread showed up just when I got interested in the matter.

I also recently registered to a VPN service just to spoof my IP for Netflix.

Meanwhile I learned about DD-WRT - A custom firmware to beef up many different routers. One of the neat feature is the implementation of OpenVPN. Which work with many VPN providers.

So I bought an Asus RT-N16 router with load of CPU power and memory (you need at leas 8Mg of flash to get the OpenVPN feature)
Then I set the WAN Interface of the router to connect to the VPN provider with OpenVPN.

And finally hooked up my Network aware media devices on the lan/WiFi Interface of that router.

Now my TV (somewhere in Canada) loads Netflix USA which has a much broader selection than its Canadian counterpart.

none of this will work, you need a seed box... :D

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 22:40:40 »
I just bought a Motorola SB6141 modem with my Apple Airport Extreme router...can't use DD-WRT with the Apple router. Read a lot of good things about OpenVPN.

I'm currently trying to get ProVPN to work on my iMac.

SEEDBOX:
Is this something you do in your home or a service?
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 March 2013, 22:42:20 by Input Nirvana »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 22:44:56 »
I just bought a Motorola SB6141 modem with my Apple Airport Extreme router...can't use DD-WRT with the Apple router. Read a lot of good things about OpenVPN.

I'm currently trying to get ProVPN to work on my iMac.

SEEDBOX:
Is this something you do in your home or a service?

You go to homeless people and pay them 20% ontop of their government checks.

Use said checks to buy Visa prepaid cards...

Then use prepaid cards at a public library 2 towns away from you to pay for yearly seedboxs in sweden..

No way they'll catch you.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 22:48:34 »
Thanksssss....

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 00:09:31 »
you also have to consider that some ISPs may not participate in CAS  but they do actively shape/throttle your traffic based on dpi or broader traffic patterns. clear is a great example of an ISP that does this... hence why i use a VPN...
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 21:38:07 »
A lot of good reasons for VPN...I'm sure more will be popping up in the near future.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 20:54:16 »

none of this will work, you need a seed box... :D

If you are making a joke. I don't get it.
And the setup I describe works. I have been watching Netflix USA on my new "SMART" TV since I installed and configure the router with the VPN.
Or maybe I forgot to mentioned the TV has a Network port?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 23:52:33 »
Dunno what he means....may just be flak.

I'm at a point where I'm thinking cruising the innernet without VPN is haphazard. At the very least it seems VPN should be a must for banking, any commerce, personal emails, etc. (Although if you are on an HTTPS website that should be more secure.)

Perhaps the cost of VPN is a part of life like insurance, credit/ID theft/fraud protection, etc.

Offline Burz

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 01:44:42 »
Dunno what he means....may just be flak.

I'm at a point where I'm thinking cruising the innernet without VPN is haphazard. At the very least it seems VPN should be a must for banking, any commerce, personal emails, etc. (Although if you are on an HTTPS website that should be more secure.)

Perhaps the cost of VPN is a part of life like insurance, credit/ID theft/fraud protection, etc.

The biggest security boost you get from a VPN is while you're using non-HTTPS sites over a publicly-shared Wifi (not cellular) connection because the opportunities for exploitation are many in that situation.

If you share your home or office connection with any number of Windows systems having dubious levels of security/maintenance, then a VPN can help security for much the same reasons as it helps with public Wifi.

OTOH if you trust your home LAN a great deal, you can set up your router or other system with your own VPN server (using OpenVPN or similar) and then configure your mobile devices to always route through it. That would give you added security while traveling. The downside is that you have to connect to your home IP address which might change on occasion, though that can be solved with an external service like Dynamic DNS.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 00:30:38 »
The biggest security boost you get from a VPN is while you're using non-HTTPS sites over a publicly-shared Wifi (not cellular) connection because the opportunities for exploitation are many in that situation.

If you share your home or office connection with any number of Windows systems having dubious levels of security/maintenance, then a VPN can help security for much the same reasons as it helps with public Wifi.

OTOH if you trust your home LAN a great deal, you can set up your router or other system with your own VPN server (using OpenVPN or similar) and then configure your mobile devices to always route through it. That would give you added security while traveling. The downside is that you have to connect to your home IP address which might change on occasion, though that can be solved with an external service like Dynamic DNS.

I'm referring to "being on the web" in general, not wireless/wifi. I have no idea how much to trust my home LAN, wireless or not. I use a Apple router and I have Comcast as an internet provider. I don't know if they block OpenVPN, I've been trying to use ProXPN but it won't connect, and I've got HotShield working but I'd like something better. There's more to look into I guess.

And I want to get a few movies/music too. There, I said it out loud.

Offline Burz

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 07:10:36 »
I'm referring to "being on the web" in general, not wireless/wifi. I have no idea how much to trust my home LAN, wireless or not. I use a Apple router and I have Comcast as an internet provider. I don't know if they block OpenVPN...
Heck no, they wouldn't block a home VPN. I have used OpenVPN on Comcast.

Probably there was some specific technical issue with your VPN setup.

As for trust of your home LAN, you just have to think about how much you trust: A) your ISP, B) your router, C) the computers connected to your router. But mainly, its the level of confidence you have that your home system(s) are not infected.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 21:21:08 »
I'm referring to "being on the web" in general, not wireless/wifi. I have no idea how much to trust my home LAN, wireless or not. I use a Apple router and I have Comcast as an internet provider. I don't know if they block OpenVPN...
Heck no, they wouldn't block a home VPN. I have used OpenVPN on Comcast.

Probably there was some specific technical issue with your VPN setup.

As for trust of your home LAN, you just have to think about how much you trust: A) your ISP, B) your router, C) the computers connected to your router. But mainly, its the level of confidence you have that your home system(s) are not infected.

I think Hotspot Shield uses OpenVPN in it's workings...I see OpenVPN running while Hotspot is active.
My use of VPN would extend from home to over the web to it's absolute maximum extension. Not much point in using a system and not have coverage end-to-end.

Thanks for the clarification on this...being Mac I know there is floating around to hurt my system, but that means effectively nothing. It only takes one violation to wreck havoc.

ISP trust? Little to zero of course. My Airport router? Meh, about the same as my computer and iPhone I guess. But I have recently moved from a home in a conservative area to an apartment in Silicon Valley. A few more threats I'm assuming.