Author Topic: What is the advantage to...  (Read 2416 times)

Offline poisened_blueberry

What is the advantage to...
« on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 10:49:25 »
Having a tenkyless keyboard? smaller size? bigger keys?? more space between the keys?
Enlighten me please :)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: What is the advantage to...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 10:52:00 »
People like having the mouse and keyboard closer together. Less arm spread.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Amarok

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 10:58:32 »
Also, unless you do data entry or something with the number pad, you can get pretty darn fast using the number row. I don't like keys being in the keyboard twice.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 11:45:55 »
it's not as big a deal as some make it out to be...

if you don't need a num pad... then you'll have a TINY bit more space for mouse..

Offline aesthetics1

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 12:01:04 »
People like having the mouse and keyboard closer together. Less arm spread.

This. I asked the same question when I started here. It seems silly at first, but the compactness, and having your mouse closer to your keyboard was definitely worth it to me. Also, custom keycap sets are usually a little cheaper - you don't have to buy the 10 key addons :).
Home: Filco Majestouch TKL MX Red | Work: Ducky Shining (Blue LED) MX Black | Collection: CM Quickfire Rapid MX Red

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 13:02:01 »
Yeah, I just don't like the number pad at all. The only time I miss it is when I'm entering lots of numbers for an extended period, which almost never happens. I'll trade that for more desk space any day. I also play in quite a few League of Legends tournaments locally, and smaller keyboards are easier to travel with.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 15:12:35 »
people supposedly like things to be more tight, they don't want to stretch their arms.... Also they don't have that much space on their desks....

In my opinion 104 board looks way better than the TKL, I have TKL and nothing compares to full 104 board, I have enough space on my desk but my previous desk was smaller and I still had full board. Full board just looks right and more solid, especially if you have retro 2 tone color keycaps  on it, makes the 10 key pad sticks out.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 15:31:38 »
people supposedly like things to be more tight, they don't want to stretch their arms.... Also they don't have that much space on their desks....

In my opinion 104 board looks way better than the TKL, I have TKL and nothing compares to full 104 board, I have enough space on my desk but my previous desk was smaller and I still had full board. Full board just looks right and more solid, especially if you have retro 2 tone color keycaps  on it, makes the 10 key pad sticks out.

i'm actually the complete opposite.  I use the number pad a lot (excel) but i think the 104s look goofy and over sized.  TKLs for me just look "right."  everyone is different i suppose.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 15:59:58 »
Well, I reckon different people like them for different things. The reason I like them

-They save space on the desk
-I can have my mouse closer to the keyboard and the keyboard centered in front of me, which is comfortable
-I like the way they look

The trade off is a lack of the numpad. At home this does not matter to me, at work I need one.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 23:11:51 »
it's not as big a deal as some make it out to be...

if you don't need a num pad... then you'll have a TINY bit more space for mouse..

10 cm. That's the width of my shoulder. That makes a hell of a difference, unless one has very wide shoulders (I don't).

Quote from: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Offline Chase5delta

• Keyboardoholic
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 23:14:55 »
I went from a keyboard with tenkey, then to a tenkeyless, and then tried out the tenkey again. And my god, the keyboard with the tenkey just felt so akward, Tenkeyless are just much more comfortable to use in my opinion.
Filco MJ2 TKL (Mx Blues) Keycool 84 (Mx Reds)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 23:21:28 »
Gaming I like the mouse to be pretty far away from the keyboard. Typing is opposite but I also need every inch of desk space I can get.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 19:26:28 »
They look nicer. Slightly more ergonomic.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 22:26:00 »
More ergonomic when mousing for sure.  Less arm spread while mousing, and less distance to move your mouse hand back to a typing position.  Benefits get even better with a 60% or 75% board.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline morpheus

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 01:02:48 »
TKL is like heaven for a typist who doesn't use the number pad. Like everyone said, it just feels right.

Offline iri

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 05:52:17 »
when you switch to left-handed mousing, the "less stretching for reaching mouse" argument is not valid anymore, but tkl / 75% / 60% boards still save your space and are lighter in your bag.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 06:41:15 »
Unfortunately, most hotkeys are left-hand centric. Ctrl+X|C|V can be replaced by Ctrl|Shift+Insert, but that's all—the rest is much worse.

Offline iri

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 23:23:39 »
and the rest is... what?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Larken

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 00:07:15 »
TKL is easier to center for typists and gamers - but that is largely dependent on how much the person needs the number pad. In retrospect, I would've saved myself quite a
bit of headaches and probably some cash if I had bought a seperate numpad and went for tkls all the way instead.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline merrickx

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 03:02:37 »
Much of it is aesthetic for me, and when function and numpad keys are rarely used, that aesthetic doesn't really get in the way of utility.

Also, for those with small desks, it's very nice to have the extra space. A tenkeyless or 60% board is also very easy to transport  (I drag mine between two different workplaces and home every week), and the fact that I can reach any key on a normal keyboard while barely moving from the home row makes things a little more efficient, albeit a little less comfortable.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 03:29:05 »
Frankly, I never use my numpad unless I'm doing unicode characters for some reason which is quite rare. Additionally, there's ways around that anyway. I enjoy the extra desk space and less intrusion towards my mouse pad and having my arms closer together. I'll never buy another full size board, they are dinosaurs in my book.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 04:47:37 »
It's very antiquated.

Back in the days when the numpad was a standard, data entry was more manual, hence the need for a human interface device.

These days the computers already know which numbers to crunch.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline ksm123

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 05:53:35 »
My desk has "keyboard shelf" below main work surface.

There is enough space there for full size keyboard or for compact keyboard and mouse.

I do not like to reach up to lay my hand on keyboard.