Author Topic: Make the switch....***** t-shirt (buckling spring)  (Read 10573 times)

Offline RougeR

Make the switch....***** t-shirt (buckling spring)
« on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 06:37:42 »
ordered these when my idea for shirts was rekindled on the apparel thread.
fits and looks perfect :)

can link order thing if people want, got it from zazzle, also fyi sizing might be a bit small, this is tight fitted as an M when normally they are a bit more loose, may just need a wash.

Buckling spring warrior!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Re: Make the switch....***** t-shirt (buckling spring)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 21:12:41 »
I like the switch illustration as art, but not the word *****. It feels too much like wearing a foam trucker's hat with a filthy saying on it.

Take that off, and I'd probably buy it. Otherwise, looks awesome.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 21:49:06 »
I like the switch illustration as art, but not the word *****. It feels too much like wearing a foam trucker's hat with a filthy saying on it.

Agreed.  Like the front of the shirt, not keen on the back.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 21:54:06 »

Agreed.  Like the front of the shirt, not keen on the back.

Yea there should be a cross-out line through Deskthority.. LOL JKJK,  nah i'm also on DT :D

But we could do without the curse-word..  Then again, there arn't really any *****es in our camp anyway, so it's not like we'll be offending anyone that'll ever NOT join us because of it.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 22:03:13 »

I agree. The word '*****' is a bit unnecessary and may actually put people off. I do like the rest of the t-shirt design.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 22:05:08 »
ALSo...  could we not make this on the type of shirt that's like a Giant Billow around the waist..

Like could we get this on something a little form fitting, so that we don't get this "shirt puddle" when seating..

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 22:40:07 »
I would also prefer it if "Make the switch, *****" was not on the shirt.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:47:59 »
Also not a fan of the profanity, the rest of the shirt looks so slick though!

Offline morpheus

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 01:33:53 »

Dat Hat...

Oh the t-shirt looks bangin'

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 04:53:14 »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 05:04:40 »
I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 05:35:00 »
I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended.

FINALY someone I can understand!

Offline iri

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 05:58:09 »
"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended."
l. torvalds
ftfy.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 09:40:01 »

that's not the issue with the shirt... I think everyone knows I am often lippy,  so I know all about "offensive"

The issue with the shirt is, the curse word would conflict with our intended message to get people to switch to awesome keyboards.

It diminishes the impact of "make the switch", because now the reader thinks, why am I a *****, rather than why make the switch, EVEN if they're not offended, they are at least distracted from the core philosophy.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 10:01:38 »

that's not the issue with the shirt... I think everyone knows I am often lippy,  so I know all about "offensive"

The issue with the shirt is, the curse word would conflict with our intended message to get people to switch to awesome keyboards.

It diminishes the impact of "make the switch", because now the reader thinks, why am I a *****, rather than why make the switch, EVEN if they're not offended, they are at least distracted from the core philosophy.
Agreed. I'm not sure that I'd wear it, even around my friends because the idea seems harsh, even with catchy line.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 10:22:40 »

Agreed. I'm not sure that I'd wear it, even around my friends because the idea seems harsh, even with catchy line.

I think everyone want to say what I said, but was too lazy to make the sentences.. :D

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 10:27:02 »
The front and back would work better as two different t-shirts IMO

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 10:28:41 »
Agreed. I quite like the front.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 10:49:45 »
Could we also please discuss the shirt puddle issue. :D

He should use t-shirts such as American Apparel/Alternative Apparel for these. They fit slim, just as a t-shirt should, and there isn't the issue of puddle.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 10:50:42 »
Contrary to everyone else, I think we should remove "Make the switch". Who are we to force our opinions on to others? They should experience things of their own accord.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 10:57:01 »
They are always free to disregard the suggestion. Placing "Make the switch" on a t-shirt isn't forcing anybody's hand, but effectively communicates that we want more people to try this out, of their own accord.

It's essentially just a simple sales message.

And I for one love the word "*****" on there.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 10:59:24 »
I think a more proper shirt would be "Would you like to make the switch, *****?" It's only polite.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:00:51 »
The slogan makes it into something that would be kinda sorta funny to wear at a keyboard meet-up but make you seem like a bit of a **** to anyone outside of the keyboard scene. Heck, you'll probably come off as a cock to quite a few people in the keyboard scene as well.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:08:35 »
"*****" doesn't need to be on the shirt, I would say most keyboard enthusiasts aren't the kind of people who walk around knocking drinks out of people's hands and getting in fights for fun, and therefore aren't the types to wear potentially offensive T-Shirts.

What bugs me, ironically, is that it's "Make the switch. . . *****". The ellipses implies the speaker is hesitating, which makes it weirder for me. Even if it was Make the switch, ***** it would make more sense.

Either way, no.

EDIT: I would wear the "$250" obama-poster cherry esc if it was screened onto a tee.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:09:16 »
I think the slogan "make the switch" would be better without '*****' as that only really works to limit where you can wear the Tee or who would want to wear it, which defeats the purpose of the message, I think it would work better if it was more random so people would be pushed to ask you "wtf?"... for example;

Hogan says make the switch or buckling spring?!

or something like that...

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:10:53 »
What bugs me, ironically, is that it's "Make the switch. . . *****". The ellipses implies the speaker is hesitating, which makes it weirder for me. Even if it was Make the switch, ***** it would make more sense.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:17:23 »
BS is harder to get into than Cherry..  not colorful enough // varied.

Maybe we should also consider a Cherry version..

Once we've suckered them in,, they can discover topre and BS on their own..

Offline keymaster

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:21:36 »
"*****" doesn't need to be on the shirt, I would say most keyboard enthusiasts aren't the kind of people who walk around knocking drinks out of people's hands and getting in fights for fun, and therefore aren't the types to wear potentially offensive T-Shirts.

Either way, no.

EDIT: I would wear the "$250" obama-poster cherry esc if it was screened onto a tee.

This must be done. It will look cool and non-geeks will think it looks "edgy". It would be a win-win.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:41:45 »

Harsh? Sigh, the 'murricans/Canadians/English... I wear this:

Offline keymaster

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:46:29 »
Harsh? Sigh, the 'murricans/Canadians/English... I wear this:

Show Image

>Kernel Ultras

Lol, reminds me of soccer hooligans. All you're missing now is a black & white checkered scarf.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:56:44 »
It's KERNEL ULTRAS, bro.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:20:21 »

That's exactly it. It's like you're awkwardly going ". . . *****" at the end of a scentence to seem hardcore.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:31:48 »
It's like people who flip off the camera. I just don't get it.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:32:46 »
I love wearing offensive T-shirts. I'm not the kind of person who gets offended, and I think it's funny when people are so uptight that a word on a t-shirt gets them riled up.

I have to agree with Linus. This world needs less people who get offended, not more people who worry about offending people

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:35:11 »
I think there is a difference between being "offensive" in a witty way and saying a "bad" word just to say it.

I personally don't think the shirt is a bad idea. I do, however, agree with internetlad about the ellipsis.

But then, I wouldn't wear the shirt either way, so what do I know?

edit: added more quotation marks.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:36:44 »
I love wearing offensive T-shirts. I'm not the kind of person who gets offended, and I think it's funny when people are so uptight that a word on a t-shirt gets them riled up.

I have to agree with Linus. This world needs less people who get offended, not more people who worry about offending people

But those type of T-shirts are supposed to be provocative -- this t-shirt isn't and that's why it's kind of awkward to have it on there.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:40:02 »

But those type of T-shirts are supposed to be provocative -- this t-shirt isn't and that's why it's kind of awkward to have it on there.

Doesn't really matter to me, honestly. If a shirt appeals to me, I'll wear it regardless of what anybody else may or may not think about it. If it happens to offend people, I'll get a good laugh.

I like the shirt because it doesn't take itself too seriously and has a bit of attitude.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:42:49 »
It's like people who flip off the camera. I just don't get it.

But the plain fact is that that's how the world is. I can take a joke and there are very few things that would get me offended, but not everybody is like that. Some people look for reasons to fight and argue, some people legitimately take offense for reasons beyond our understanding (IE: A woman who was beaten by her husband/father and called "*****" constantly takes offense to the shirt, even though that was never the intention.)

Bottom line is it's crude and unneccessary. It would be great if everybody was a little more laid back about stuff, I think it would make a lot of people's lives easier. It's human nature. Just because i'm that way doesn't mean everybody else is, and if you don't take offense to something that you know is potentially offensive, but say, wear, or do it anyways, then it's pretty clear you're doing it just to be a ****.

EDIT: Incidentally daerid you live in denver. Everybody is baked there anyways. Our cabbie tried to sell us weed a couple years ago when we were visiting, so It's not like you're walking around harlem with a WHITE POWER shirt on where you're likely to get shot stabbed or beaten.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:44:43 by Internetlad »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:44:02 »

Exactly. I'm not opposed to offending people, but there's a difference between attacking ignorance and trying to offend people by walking up to them and yelling swears in their face. This falls more into the latter category.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:45:34 »
Exactly. I'm not opposed to offending people, but there's a difference between attacking ignorance and trying to offend people by walking up to them and yelling swears in their face. This falls more into the latter category.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:49:21 »
I wouldn't say that I'm offended (and I share your disdain for people who are easily and unduly Oh!fended) but I wouldn't wear a shirt like that because ... (don't be Oh!fended) ... (dramatic pause denoted by double ellipses) ... I'm not white trash.

There! I said it! I'd say it again if I had to.

I wouldn't be offended by someone wearing that shirt, I would just peg them as being kind of trashy -- which is why I wouldn't wear the shirt, or really any kind of shirt or apparel with a swear word on it. There's a certain kind of person who wears (sometimes literally) filthy language as a badge of honor; they want to offend people. Seems puerile and stupid to me. "Look how transgressive I am!"

There's no sense in offending people intentionally; that's just a mark of a childish personality, not verve.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:59:08 by Krogenar »
More

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:51:30 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:37:05 by esoomenona »

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:52:57 »
much better

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:57:36 »
much better

MAKE THE SWITCH ... YOU KNOW, OR DON'T. WHATEV.
More

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:59:03 »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 13:02:17 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:36:48 by esoomenona »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 13:09:14 »
the '**** you' should be like x4 the size of the rest of the text

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 13:34:25 »
It's offensive because Comic Sans.

(Attachment Link)

it doesn't make any sense to say Make the switch,   the context isn't clear from the first line...   

Because you can't assume the audience would see both sides of the shirt...

The back should be something like.

Mechanical Keyboards!
Make the switch..

If you don't then .... you.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 13:39:30 »
It's offensive because Comic Sans.

(Attachment Link)

it doesn't make any sense to say Make the switch,   the context isn't clear from the first line...   

Because you can't assume the audience would see both sides of the shirt...

The back should be something like.

Mechanical Keyboards!
Make the switch..

If you don't then .... you.

Switchin' is *****in'