Author Topic: Tornadoes! =/  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Cafiend

Tornadoes! =/
« on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 17:23:53 »
With the weather in Texas last week and the tornadoes ripping through Oklahoma, I hope you guys located there are safe.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Tornadoes! =/
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:11:25 »
that's what tornado insurance is for  :))

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:13:38 »
Thanks Cafiend. I'd rather be in Florida (will be soon), because hurricanes are much more voluntary lol

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:27:45 »
Thanks Cafiend. I'd rather be in Florida (will be soon), because hurricanes are much more voluntary lol

Hurricane Insurance, Loving it...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:44:22 »
I prefer earthquakes, over and done with fast and rarely do any real damage. Been in... who knows how many after living in So. Cal for decades.

The problem with hurricanes is that they are so huge, if you're in the path, you will get hit. However you can see it coming from a long ways off. Went  through one in Florida.

Tornadoes, you only see at the last minute, and do lots of damage, but the odds of being hit by one are actually rather slim. I've predicted several, seen over half a dozen (even two at once), many forming, and was almost hit by one. I was going to go chasing a few years ago, but they chased me instead.

Anyone living in tornado alley,
or anywhere with crazy weather, check out the NWS/NOAA website, specifically Skywarn (direct link!), you will be glad you did. The classes are free and you can become part of the early warning Skywarn system. ZThey teach you about all types weather, including tornado prediction. My mom used to be scared to death of tornadoes, she isn't after going to that class. She is much more confident, can even somewhat predict them now. Both of us are now Skywarn certified, and help provide early warnings.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 20:08:46 »
I just walked upstairs from watching the movie "The Perfect Storm" and it makes me realize, again, how fortunate we are that we have satellites.

In the old days (before "flying machines" or better) you were completely at random. Now we know surprisingly well.

Except tornadoes, of course, which can still be the most unexpected and frightening.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 20:53:30 »
Except tornadoes, of course, which can still be the most unexpected and frightening.
We are actually getting up to a 20 minute warnings on tornadoes now, which is a LOT considering it was less than 3-5  minutes tops just a few years ago.

Unfortunately, while technology has helped on a lot of that, a considerable amount is still "boots on the ground". So the more people trained and involved the higher that number goes.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 04:50:27 »
We have had a bumpy might, nothing too serious but my heart goes out to those who have experienced such tragedy the last few days.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 04:54:58 »
The tornado in Moore, OK yesterday was only 10 miles north of us and was very close to remedyhalopc, but he's okay too!

I want to move to Orlando now, but I think we're going to have to wait until early August :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 06:18:49 »
idk why you guys are worried, buy the insurance, go to the basement, hope it hits your house, and get all new stuff.. :D

Sentimental-s be damned. :))

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 06:22:17 »
Lol places don't have basements here. All the dirt is like clay, not sedimentary rock :p

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 06:24:59 »
Really? No basements? I would think those would be required by code in a place with tornadoes...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 06:29:37 »
The tornado in Moore, OK yesterday was only 10 miles north of us and was very close to remedyhalopc, but he's okay too!

I want to move to Orlando now, but I think we're going to have to wait until early August :(
Glad you are all safe.

I caught the northern tip later in the day, thankfully we only got pea size hail and a lot of lightening and rain out of it.

I spent half the day tracking the storm and the chasers. Most of the chasers knew that was where it was going to hit, just that none of them knew how bad it would be. Moore got early warning, unfortunately there's almost no getting out of the way of something like that except under ground.

I noticed at least one of the tornado tour groups headed home shortly after Moore was hit... Guess they got what they wanted.

Really? No basements? I would think those would be required by code in a place with tornadoes...

The ground is quite hard there so it's quite expensive to do.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 06:37:27 »
Where are you located Leslieann? I had no idea you lived around here.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 06:56:42 »
I'm much further north than you, kinda, sorta mid-Missouri.

I've been through Oklahoma a few times, more than I care to remember (then again, I can say that about quite a few states actually).
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 07:00:29 »
idk why you guys are worried, buy the insurance, go to the basement, hope it hits your house, and get all new stuff.. :D

Sentimental-s be damned. :))

you would think it works like that but sadly it doesn't.  we are still fighting the insurance company from hurricane Irene last October.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 07:01:52 »
Oh wow, like around Joplin? That place got blasted two years ago if memory serves me correct. I agree with not wanting to remember this place lol. I lived most of my life in Philly and Pittsburgh and have only been in OK for two years, but I cannot wait to get to Florida. I'm also looking forward to never seeing snow again :)

Edit - errrr maybe Joplin was last year. I forget...
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 07:07:46 by Jocelyn »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 15:03:46 »
Oh wow, like around Joplin? That place got blasted two years ago if memory serves me correct. I agree with not wanting to remember this place lol. I lived most of my life in Philly and Pittsburgh and have only been in OK for two years, but I cannot wait to get to Florida. I'm also looking forward to never seeing snow again :)

Edit - errrr maybe Joplin was last year. I forget...
Joplin was just about two years ago, and actually quite close to the border with Oklahoma. I went through there last August and they were still cleaning up. I was shocked at how bad it was.

You will get to Florida and then have hurricanes, it doesn't matter what state you go to, there is some sort of crazy weather or human created disaster awaiting you. The only real difference is the locals themselves. Some are (much) worse than others.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More