Author Topic: My unboxing a Das Ultimate Silent! I am so excited!  (Read 3833 times)

Offline clickclickblueclickclick

My unboxing a Das Ultimate Silent! I am so excited!
« on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 03:17:31 »
I got it off amazon for $68! Im so excited!

Heres the video

:cool:

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: My unboxing a Das Ultimate Silent! I am so excited!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 03:19:29 »
I ****ing cringed at the way you opened the box. Always cut away from yourself!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 03:54:17 »

+1..

I'll give it a couple of hours before it gets all greasy!
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 03:57:00 by imadeanaccounttoseepics »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 04:21:18 »

DOOD, THIS. I was watching the video, and at the start...holy crap... 0:36 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jJLav807DQI#t=36s) of the video I was squinting and looking away from the screen so I wouldn't have to see him cut himself...
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 04:23:47 by VesperSAINT »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 04:37:45 »
After there being a huge thread about why people would never buy this keyboard what exactly made you decide buying this?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 04:42:18 »
After there being a huge thread about why people would never buy this keyboard what exactly made you decide buying this?

This is the older one still made by Costar. The new model (3rd gen I think) is now made by iOne or iRock which are known for less than stellar manufacturing
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 05:15:14 »
A Dos Ultimate silent (browns) popped my mech keyboard cherry. I'll always be fond of it for that reason, and it still stands up against my printer stand as a backup. It's been used so much, all the keycaps are shiny. But, the switches feel as good as the day I bought it.

Buddy, for < $70, you did great. Be proud.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 05:35:01 »
+1 for cutting away from you while keeping fingers out of the way :eek:

And all that padding on top of the keyboard in the box - nothing underneath?!?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline crthell

• crthell
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:17:53 »
A Dos Ultimate silent (browns) popped my mech keyboard cherry.
lmfao dude
/crthell
Mechanical Keyboard(s): Apple Extended Keyboard II M3501 (dampened Alps)
Quality Rubber Dome(s): Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:44:01 »
How'd you get them so cheap?

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:59:02 »
How'd you get them so cheap?

It was a used Amazon Warehouse deal.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 10:26:55 »

This is the older one still made by Costar. The new model (3rd gen I think) is now made by iOne or iRock which are known for less than stellar manufacturing

Or rather the unknown manufacturer that makes CM Storm QF TK, Logitech G710+ etc.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 12:41:13 »
What's with all the rage on cutting technique..

He could be sword master and have +10 knife mastery, in which case it doesn't matter at all if he's cutting towards oneself. :D

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:22:19 »
Cant watch the vid since I'm still at work, but congrats anyway! I have the exact same keyboard at home.
It too popped my mechanical cherry. lol
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:23:07 »
I got it off amazon for $68! Im so excited!

Heres the video

:cool:

I'm so sorry....
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:45:25 »

Im a careful guy, I never cut myself lol!!!  ;D

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:46:39 »

To be honest, I tried this in the store before and it just felt so nice. I did read that other thread but it didnt bother me a bit

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:47:17 »
On the topic of having their cherries popped, the Ducky DK9008 with Cherry MX Blues popped my cherry... unless you want to count the Model M when I was a wee lil lad.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:50:40 »
On the topic of having their cherries popped, the Ducky DK9008 with Cherry MX Blues popped my cherry... unless you want to count the Model M when I was a wee lil lad.

I was triple-raped by Razor

It's really tough to talk about such a harrowing experience as my first time, but my entry into the genre was not pleasant..

black widow regular, Sticky space bar, sticky s key
Black widow ultimate, cuz I thought money would fix the problem, Nope, same problems
Replacement black widow, same problems, top row didn't go down all the way without hitting the casing.

Yup..

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:51:35 »

The Model M was playing doctor, so it doesn't count. The Ducky was your first.

Offline Surnia

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:59:05 »

He could be sword master and have +10 knife mastery, in which case it doesn't matter at all if he's cutting towards oneself. :D

blade looked severely dull, and there were moments when the blade got caught on the box and he used force to slice (and nearly nicked himself a few times).

Sword master and Knife master +10 users wouldn't be using a dull box cutter like that =p

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 14:04:34 »

I was triple-raped by Razor

It's really tough to talk about such a harrowing experience as my first time, but my entry into the genre was not pleasant..

black widow regular, Sticky space bar, sticky s key
Black widow ultimate, cuz I thought money would fix the problem, Nope, same problems
Replacement black widow, same problems, top row didn't go down all the way without hitting the casing.

Yup..

I'm sorry to hear about your pain.  I almost had to deal with the same pain but was lucky enough because Dell ran out of stock to fulfill my order so it's what lead me here to Geekhack to find a different mechanical keyboard. Here I found my Ducky blues which is literally still the best feeling blue switch keyboard I've felt and I've used many other blue keyboards. It was meant to be.

If it makes you feel any better, I recently obtained a dead BWU and I tore that thing up by salavaging all the switches :P

The Model M was playing doctor, so it doesn't count. The Ducky was your first.

Now that I think about it, the model m is a child molester. I'm sure it took many ppl here at a young age!
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 14:07:20 by VesperSAINT »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 14:57:08 »

blade looked severely dull, and there were moments when the blade got caught on the box and he used force to slice (and nearly nicked himself a few times).

Sword master and Knife master +10 users wouldn't be using a dull box cutter like that =p

I watched this knife commercial once, and the fat asian chef guy was saying how You never cut yourself with a sharp knife, ONLY a dull knife.

because a sharp knife goes where you intended it to go....

Idk if this is always the case, since there's still some unpredictability of the medium of which you cut through, but it seeeeeems plausible.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:33:52 »

Yeah so basically he got a Costar Das Keyboard for super cheap, good job  :D

My first mechanical keyboard is also a Das MX Brown.  Well actually prior to that I used a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate for one week (MX Blue) then decide that I hate the macro keys lol.

I still use my Das Keyboard from time to time lol.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 16:26:20 »
I don't mind people cutting towards themselves if they look like they know what they're doing with a knife. I was gonna say the first few people who replied need to calm down, but after watching the video with a box cutter extended 10-clicks + fidgety hands = noob. You should have only needed 3 strokes to open the box.

Sorry for being so critical of your knife handling. But I've seen waaay too many boxcutter/x-acto accidents during architecture school. Thinking "Im a careful guy, I never cut myself" doesn't help avoid trips to the ER for stitches.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 16:35:23 »

I watched this knife commercial once, and the fat asian chef guy was saying how You never cut yourself with a sharp knife, ONLY a dull knife.

because a sharp knife goes where you intended it to go....

Idk if this is always the case, since there's still some unpredictability of the medium of which you cut through, but it seeeeeems plausible.

The main cause of sliced fingers I saw during school were 1) dull knives and 2) lack of sleep...haha

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 17:22:04 »
Congrats on your new DAS...

Im a careful guy, I never cut myself lol!!!  ;D

Ok you may not be a candidate for the Darwin Award but I can see why people are worrying for your fingers.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)