Author Topic: Ergo Clears?  (Read 3196 times)

Offline deazncy

Ergo Clears?
« on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:55:31 »
Hey guys, I wanted to know what's so good about ergo clears? As far as I know, it's just the stem of a mx clear on the spring of a red/brown/blue switch, but what's special about it? I've had keyboards with the main types of cherry switches (black, brown, blue, and red), but I wanted to know more about ergo clears.

I have a Max Nighthawk with browns and decided I didn't like it much (still trying to sell it in classified section) because the tactile feedback wasn't really noticeable when typing at a regular pace. I was trying to look for a switch that felt like blues, but without the noisiness, and I stumbled upon "ergo clears."

I've read that they have a nice tactile feedback, but can get stuck because of the lightness of the springs from blues/browns/reds.

I might want to get a Poker II (I heard they will be releasing a pcb mounted version?) in mx reds to try the ergo clear mod, but I don't want to spend all that money to have a switch that felt like a slightly more noticeable mx browns. I want a tactile feedback like blues, rather than a bump like browns.
“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” -Bruce Lee

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Ergo Clears?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:59:33 »
because the tactile feedback wasn't really noticeable when typing at a regular pace.

Ergo clears have A LOT more tactile feedback/bump :)

Check out this thread - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43374.0

Then ask any questions not answered here or there.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:20:52 »
Clears give you a very distinct tactile sensation..

BLUE gives you both the tactile sensation, and an Auditory cue "the snap", that your key-press succeeded.

Now, Ultra-experienced typers needs neither the tactile nor auditory sensation.. Based on reflex alone, they can complete keystrokes with high accuracy...

Let me classify experienced typists, Average sustainable speed of 125wpm, you're experienced, 125+ you have too much time,  150+ (unsubstantiated-ly // potentially) Gifted..

So... WHY bother with tactile and auditory... that is ALL in the realm of preference...

They provide NO advantage in PERFORMANCE... nothing towards the PURPOSE of the keypress...

I like tactile because it is a continuation of my computer experience, I've started on tactile rubber domes, and I'm now on tactile mechanical.

Linear feels like falling off a cliff.. I could get used to it, but there is no reasonable motivation to make this transition, and so I do not.

As far as the "stuck-ness" goes,  we THEORIZE it is due to the leaf spring rather than the coil spring that's under the stem.

Now, that doesn't exclude the fact that a stronger coil spring could OVERCOME the faulty leaf spring...  THe problem is, if CHERRY is already using that minimum amount 80g, the clear switch is too heavy for some.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 02:08:17 »
MX White (basically quiet blue with a different spring)

Clears are more like browns on steroids.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 02:34:16 »
Maybe try out clears first before going ergo. Clears have more bump, while ergo seems to be like davkol said "browns on steroids."
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 02:36:11 »
Maybe try out clears first before going ergo. Clears have more bump, while ergo seems to be like davkol said "browns on steroids."

Clears have less of a bump than ergo clears, but still more than browns due to the extra weight of the spring. That's another consideration, some people don't like heavy switches, and a clear is a heavier switch
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Larken

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 02:49:09 »
What are you planning to do with ergo-clears? Its more a switch meant more for typing than anything. If you're looking to game with them, you might be rather disappointed.

To make an answer short - if browns feel like there's a grain of sand in it, ergo clears have a clump of dirt in it, or more like a hump in the road, in terms of tactile feel. If you want to try them, make sure to lube them, or else it's rather easy to dismiss them from the get go.

FYI, my modded switches has never gotten stuck on mx browns/reds/blues springs, even unlubed.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 02:57:48 »
What are you planning to do with ergo-clears? Its more a switch meant more for typing than anything. If you're looking to game with them, you might be rather disappointed.

To make an answer short - if browns feel like there's a grain of sand in it, ergo clears have a clump of dirt in it, or more like a hump in the road, in terms of tactile feel. If you want to try them, make sure to lube them, or else it's rather easy to dismiss them from the get go.

FYI, my modded switches has never gotten stuck on mx browns/reds/blues springs, even unlubed.

Aachem..

There is no impact on performance, gaming or typing...

If you find that you suddenly suck when using blue coming from red.. It's in your mind... and/or you're not playing the game how you would normally, due to the fact that you're paying more attention to the keyboard than the game...

IN GAME.. when playing seriously, The last thing you think about is how the key feels.

and SINCE, almost no games outside of fighting and rhythm actually CARES about key press precision,  EVEN if there is accuracy loss, it would be insignificant...

Offline Larken

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 03:06:39 »
I'm not responding to an obvious troll attempt. Oh wait. I just wasted five seconds, might as well put it through.

did I say there was an impact? No. Did I say it would affect my gaming prowess? No.

We're all here searching for the best switch feel. And ergo clears, especially the lighter variant, would not suit what most gamers desire out of a switch. Can a top player still kick ass with a ergo-clear? Why not? He or she could do the same with rubber domes. Same with any other switch.

You're obviously ignoring the point trying to get a rise out of me.

I will not be responding to you again. Go bother someone else.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline deazncy

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 03:08:30 »

Aachem..

There is no impact on performance, gaming or typing...

If you find that you suddenly suck when using blue coming from red.. It's in your mind... and/or you're not playing the game how you would normally, due to the fact that you're paying more attention to the keyboard than the game...

IN GAME.. when playing seriously, The last thing you think about is how the key feels.

and SINCE, almost no games outside of fighting and rhythm actually CARES about key press precision,  EVEN if there is accuracy loss, it would be insignificant...

This is actually very true. My gaming performance has never been hindered when switching over to a new switch type. Sure, it could take a few minutes to about an hour to get used to it, but performance will never be affected.

The main reason why I wanted to try ergo clears was because I though it would feel similar to blues, but without the loudness. I loved the feeling of blues but received many complaints so I decided to try other switches. My top two are definitely blues and reds, so I might ultimately just end up going back to regular reds when the Poker II comes out.
“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” -Bruce Lee

Offline deazncy

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 03:10:20 »
I'm not responding to an obvious troll attempt. Oh wait. I just wasted five seconds, might as well put it through.

did I say there was an impact? No. Did I say it would affect my gaming prowess? No.

We're all here searching for the best switch feel. And ergo clears, especially the lighter variant, would not suit what most gamers desire out of a switch. Can a top player still kick ass with a ergo-clear? Why not? He or she could do the same with rubber domes. Same with any other switch.

You're obviously ignoring the point trying to get a rise out of me.

I will not be responding to you again. Go bother someone else.

I don't think he meant it that way. As I see it, it was just mis-communication. Please don't fight <3

Offline iri

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 03:54:42 »
do we really need that many ergo clears threads to tell same things over and over?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline GON

• * Maker
  • Skype ID : GonsKeyboardWorks
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 03:54:43 »
Stronger tactile feel than MX Browns. ;)

Among keyboards I have made, assembled or tuned so far, the most are Ergo Black and Ergo Clear.
These two switch builds are more than 70%.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 May 2013, 03:56:51 by GON »
Even though I have made/assembled/tuned HUNDREDs of keyboards for others, I myself don't have a full-tuned Custom Keyboard now.
So Ironical!

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 06:08:31 »
Why does tp4tissue is always a default troll to some eyes? Lol.
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 06:16:21 »
Stronger tactile feel than MX Browns. ;)

Among keyboards I have made, assembled or tuned so far, the most are Ergo Black and Ergo Clear.
These two switch builds are more than 70%.

ergo blacks are just reds no? :D