Author Topic: Sunday rant – Downloading what you want – How hard can that be?  (Read 3203 times)

Offline BucklingSpring

I have been around for a while. I saw the birth of the Internet, growing up strong and become what it is today.

I always liked shareware/freeware sites offering pretty much anything you can dream of. Simtel was a great source. This morning I asked myself what ever happened to it. Long story short – Digital River who owned Simtel at the end, simply shut it down for lack of funding.

Everyone needs money… That's fine with me - but at what cost?

Once upon a time, not so far away, you could think of what you need, put some relevant keywords in a search engine and end up with what you want.

Imagine that – You go on a specialized site – click on the –beeping- download button and by some sort of magic, you get the product you expect on your disk ready to install.

Today, clicking on the obvious download button is just going to hack you for a ride and bring you everywhere except where you want to be. My poor mother who likes browsing and install what she thinks she needs get slapped every times. Now she calls me way too often for help.

Links are obfuscated; you can't even see what's under anymore. Shareware sites have their own downloaders and installers to bring even more junk to you. You now download the downloader, install the shareware client downloader and it downloads the shareware installer that might have, if you are lucky, the program you are looking for.

After the years, I developed tricks to avoid getting caught. A good one was to find the product home page and get it from there.

This morning one of my product homepage dropped me to the sharks and sent me to a site with 30 download buttons of all colors and shapes.

Am I the only annoyed by the big DOWNLOAD button?
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:03:12 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline iri

Re: Sunday rant – Downloading what you want – How hard can that be?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:00:33 »
apt-get install <whatever> <whatevernumbertwo> <somethingdifferentfromwhateveroneandtwo> <whateverwhateverwhatever>
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:01:27 »
You worked with Tim Berners-Lee?

Offline Halvar

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:04:56 »
Adblock and Ghostery might be a good start maybe if you're using firefox.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:06:32 by Halvar »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:05:17 »
your mom needs 4 apps

microsoft word
winrar
vlc
firefox

why does she need anything else.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:08:15 »
Is Tucows still around?

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:11:16 »
Are there sites that doesn't endorse such nasty/ aggressive  advertising practice?

I want to promote sharewares that use "fair" marketing techniques.
Is there an association of those?

One successor of my beloved Simtel was TuCows. So far they have managed to stay relatively clean as far as junk ads and other things to fool the user into a trap.

Are there sites that doesn
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:21:37 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:11:40 »
You outtyped me :-)

Is Tucows still around?

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:20:18 »
You want to give her a shout? Be my guest.

I recall my first attempt in mid 90's when she eared about Webshot and install it by herself.
Then she soon discovered streaming radios, choking her US Robotics 14.4 and wonder why.
And then... never ending story

your mom needs 4 apps

microsoft word
winrar
vlc
firefox

why does she need anything else.

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline iri

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:34:47 »
You worked with Tim Berners-Lee?
rather with leonard kleinrock. he said he saw the birth of the internet, not world wide web.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:41:02 »
I feel the same way that you do.

Downloading garbageware is not a bad price to pay for getting something for free, in the grand scheme of things. I am not really too upset about running Revo Uninstaller regularly to clear out the trash, and accept it as the "pound of flesh" that some people require as payment for whatever else they give me.

Most upsetting to me are the stealth parasites that are hard to find and remove, even when you know that they are there.

And worse, like horrible 2-year-olds, they never "clean up after themselves" and leave everything reset they wanted it !

"Google.com" has been my home page for at least a decade, without exception, but I have to reset it monthly, if not weekly, because somebody, somehow, sneaked in and messed with it. And if I had a nickel for every "toolbar" that I have wasted many minutes uninstalling, I could practically retire.

TV ads infuriate me, too, after having a DVR for a couple of years it is now extremely painful to watch something "live" and not be able to skip through commercials. Sometimes I deliberately do something else to kill 10 minutes just to create enough slack to get around having to watch the ads.

First world problems.
“Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:42:09 »
Are there sites that doesn't endorse such nasty/ aggressive  advertising practice?

One successor of my beloved Simtel was TuCows. So far they have managed to stay relatively clean as far as junk ads and other things to fool the user into a trap.

FileHippo is fairly neat and clean.

And no, you're not the only one annoyed with all the obvious fake download buttons. I never fall for them, but they still piss me off.

Offline Halvar

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:46:30 »
Cnet's Download.com is quite useable IMO.

Here in Germany there's a bunch of computer magazines that host good freeware collections on their websites, namely heise.de, chip.de and computerbild.de . Maybe theres something like that in the US too.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:48:14 »
apt-get install <whatever> <whatevernumbertwo> <somethingdifferentfromwhateveroneandtwo> <whateverwhateverwhatever>

This, I switched to using linux exclusively after XP came out.  Haven't looked back.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 12:34:22 »
@fohat.digs -> I have been a big fan of sandboxing pretty much anything new I try. VirtualBox is FREE and pretty decent. Not has hot as VMWare products, especially when it comes to 3D GPU emulation but for most standard apps... It's great. You can try first in a virtual environment to see how it goes and move to the real deal when confident.

I'm not familiar with Revo Uninstaller. Does it tracks/backups file changes (driver updates, etc) and registry changes?

Another trick - for sites that ask for email is using a provider that allows unlimited email aliases. With that you can create a one time use email without exposing your main email account to endless spam.

I like your suggestion... Maybe we should start a list of decent utility sites that are fairly clean.

TuCows
FileHippo
Cnet's Download.com
heise.de, chip.de and computerbild.de

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 13:53:06 »
Gotta agree with the hunt-the-download-button.  I suspect eventually you'll see litigation or ad networks get too annoyed by it, like the old banners which resembled a WinXP dialog box and looked especially hilarious on a Linux machine.

What I find annoying are the "download will be automatically triggered" pages because they frequently work badly, if at all, on mobile devices.

Honestly, I wonder if there's a potential niche for Steam to expand into.  It's already got a reputation of "you can download stuff from it and it's going to be what you asked for"-- all they need is to stocking "ABC Trial Version" for free and "ABC Registered Version" as a paid download.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 13:59:13 »
Gotta agree with the hunt-the-download-button.  I suspect eventually you'll see litigation or ad networks get too annoyed by it, like the old banners which resembled a WinXP dialog box and looked especially hilarious on a Linux machine.

What I find annoying are the "download will be automatically triggered" pages because they frequently work badly, if at all, on mobile devices.

Honestly, I wonder if there's a potential niche for Steam to expand into.  It's already got a reputation of "you can download stuff from it and it's going to be what you asked for"-- all they need is to stocking "ABC Trial Version" for free and "ABC Registered Version" as a paid download.

Steam have started offering software, but so far it's mostly more expensive software, such as art software, budgeting software and some benchmarking software.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 07:53:15 »
Most of the time where I am looking for some odd free utility to accomplish something, for example I had a need for a cue splitter recently, I always check sourceforge first. The site is not utterly annoying to use, and the downloads are always exactly what you are expecting it to be. Whether the programs works as expected can sometimes be another matter, but I digress.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 08:23:14 »

And no, you're not the only one annoyed with all the obvious fake download buttons. I never fall for them, but they still piss me off.
No custom installation options.

Here is one thing that pisses me off, everytime I update anything Adobe they ask me if I want to let the updater running all the time to check for updates and automatically install.  Well I mever wanted auto-install the past 50 times now did I?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 09:05:52 »
even cnet download dot com, nearly forces you to use their installer. now the thing to do is NOT us the download button, but rather look at the download graphic button and "hunt" for the small font download link that says "download without installer" usually directly underneath the really big download graphic.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 16:12:16 »
even cnet download dot com, nearly forces you to use their installer. now the thing to do is NOT us the download button, but rather look at the download graphic button and "hunt" for the small font download link that says "download without installer" usually directly underneath the really big download graphic.
**** Cnet and their stupid adware.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 17:55:30 »

Stupid adware - Hum... Is there any other kind of adware?
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 18:21:35 »

Stupid adware - Hum... Is there any other kind of adware?
Not really, I just wanted to express my anger by making sure everyone knows that it is STUPID.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 21:28:47 »

Except when they run an ad with a "download" on it.

Adblock Edge works for that though, but yeah, I use File Hippo all the time for work.

Here is one thing that pisses me off, everytime I update anything Adobe they ask me if I want to let the updater running all the time to check for updates and automatically install.  Well I mever wanted auto-install the past 50 times now did I?
My problem is how rare the auto update even works even when you do want it to.
I swear it;s like it's programed to do exactly the opposite of what you want, which, considering it's Flash, that wouldn't surprise me.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 22:31:49 »

YUM!

for windows:

ninite.com
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline iri

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 04:49:03 »

YUM!
"homebrew" for me now.
zypper until the beginning of june.

-Ray Bradbury