Author Topic: Replacing this crap laptop  (Read 9607 times)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
Replacing this crap laptop
« on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 02:15:04 »
So my university provides students with laptops to be used throughout their college experience. Sounds pretty awesome as they boast the latest and up-to-date laptops...but as we all know...that is bull.

Instead they gave us terrible laptops that can barely even handle league at high graphics.

Thus I am on a journey to decide on a laptop before I get paid this summer.

I was wondering if getting a Sager from XoticPc would be smart...specifically the Sager NP8230: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8230-clevo-p151sm1-p-5840.html

I want to be able to play Battlefield 3 on Ultra and Battlefield 4 when it comes out. I want to also be able to handle multitasking and not worry about so much crashing like I do with this laptop at the moment.

Any advice on what I should get through XoticPC?

Trying to keep the price under $2000 and somewhere around $1500 if possible.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Replacing this crap laptop
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 08:15:29 »
look for one of those gaming laptops that's in $2000

they're all about the same...

good ones start at $5000

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 08:18:49 »
look for one of those gaming laptops that's in $2000

they're all about the same...

good ones start at $5000
Hope your being sarcastic.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 08:20:22 »
If you want to save a couple of bucks the Lenovo Ideapad Y500 is a great choice for a little under a grand. With a nice SSD you should be looking at a great performing laptop for around $1250 or so.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:42:26 »
what laptop did you get?

Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook on Windows 8. The only reason my school decided to get the ultrabook because they got a deal to be the first to use Windows 8 before the public release. I disliked it the first second we had it.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 22:59:40 »
So my university provides students with laptops to be used throughout their college experience. Sounds pretty awesome as they boast the latest and up-to-date laptops...but as we all know...that is bull.

Instead they gave us terrible laptops that can barely even handle league at high graphics.

What a disaster, school hasn't provided you gaming hardware. LoL is certainly an integral part of the curriculum, right?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 23:04:51 »

What a disaster, school hasn't provided you gaming hardware. LoL is certainly an integral part of the curriculum, right?

yeah i was just gonna say... poor you!!

goddamn davkol we agree... there's a first time for everything
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 23:16:13 »

Iight thanks. I wrote the above statement quickly so I didn't get to also add the fact that my laptop crashes every other day (scanned for viruses, malware, adware, etc. and none). The worse that it does is that it crashes when I need to multitask. You can be a complete jerk too though. I was just seeking advice. My bad for wanting more

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 23:30:50 »
Can you mess with software, if it's provided by university? I'd just try to fix the software, and build an miniITX gaming rig.

I hate gaming laptops. They're everything but durable and quiet. Battery life sucks as well.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 23:42:23 »
Can you mess with software, if it's provided by university? I'd just try to fix the software, and build an miniITX gaming rig.

I hate gaming laptops. They're everything but durable and quiet. Battery life sucks as well.

I mean Sager (really Clevo) isn't a gaming laptop. They just added that tag because people recently started get Clevo's for gaming. Most of it I can mess with, but some of the stuff I can't like changing it from Windows 8 back to Windows 7. Well not until I graduate. I really want to change the graphics card though. It runs on Intel HD 3000 which is pretty poor compared to a Nvidia 770m. The battery life wouldn't really be too much of a difference between a Sager or this Samsung because it really lasts only 2+ hours like a Sager.

Right now my problem is that it doesn't even start. I'm currently using my girlfriend's Samsung cause she has a Vaio that she bought before she transferred to my school (I can see her history and ish hehe).

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 01:58:31 »
If you want to save a couple of bucks the Lenovo Ideapad Y500 is a great choice for a little under a grand. With a nice SSD you should be looking at a great performing laptop for around $1250 or so.

I just got this laptop with a Samsung SSD, and would second this opinion.  Just keep in mind that the bios is locked, which limits some stuff if you like to tweak your hardware for maximum performance.  You can get an unlocked bios and overclock, but then you can kiss your warranty goodbye.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 00:21:02 »

I took a closer look at the specs on this and it is only a slight margin less than getting that Sager. I might as well just get this. Just want to play games on full with a good 30-60 fps.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 17:48:50 »

I took a closer look at the specs on this and it is only a slight margin less than getting that Sager. I might as well just get this. Just want to play games on full with a good 30-60 fps.

I do believe the GPU setup on the Lenovo will allow you to play BF3 at smooth FPS, 50 or so I think, on High. Ultra isn't as playable but I guess if you tinker with you you'll probably be able to get 35FPS or so.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 22:44:45 »

I do believe the GPU setup on the Lenovo will allow you to play BF3 at smooth FPS, 50 or so I think, on High. Ultra isn't as playable but I guess if you tinker with you you'll probably be able to get 35FPS or so.

I've seen comparisons on high vs ultra, and there hardly is a difference. So I might just stick with the Lenovo. Debating on whether spending more on getting the SLI 750M dual graphics card, or get the lesser one that still has 12gb DDR3 and 16gb SSD.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 19:28:36 »
I use the 16gb mSATA drive for swap space.  Get rid of that 1tb drive that comes with it, and put it in a 2.5" drive enclosure to use as an external.  The laptop is super fast with a SSD.  Get the one with SLI and 16gb RAM, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 21:33:02 »
I use the 16gb mSATA drive for swap space.  Get rid of that 1tb drive that comes with it, and put it in a 2.5" drive enclosure to use as an external.  The laptop is super fast with a SSD.  Get the one with SLI and 16gb RAM, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the advice! Most likely going to do that.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 14:41:55 »
As of laptops i'd get either a Lenovo X, T or W series or a MacBook Air/Pro.

Anything else you get will worn out faster than you expect. Laptops are being built cheaper since the tablet market has appeared. Either get a millitary grade laptop from Lenovo that will never really break or get a MacBook because there's always going to be a random idiotic fanboy willing to buy it from you whatever how damaged/dull it could be; there's an apple on it...
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 16:07:07 »

Anything else you get will worn out faster than you expect. Laptops are being built cheaper since the tablet market has appeared. Either get a millitary grade laptop from Lenovo that will never really break or get a MacBook because there's always going to be a random idiotic fanboy willing to buy it from you whatever how damaged/dull it could be; there's an apple on it...

I decided to get a lenovo. I def need a tank. That last statement is hilariously true.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 07:25:27 »
Yeah haha, could have said "hipster" instead. :)

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 11:03:38 »

I decided to get a lenovo. I def need a tank. That last statement is hilariously true.

I don't think an ideapad is what Quardah was talking about.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 11:30:27 »

I don't think an ideapad is what Quardah was talking about.

No! Ideapad is low grade don't get that!

Get wither an X, T or W series they are massive laptop! My friend has an X220, his battery hold for 15 hours of usage that's intense!

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 11:46:14 »
Yeah, but you know... it's not "gaming".

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 12:03:53 »
personally im shocked OP thinks a sammy series 5 ultrabook is crap
*looks at his Dell M1530*

Offline megaforce

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 18:01:07 »
Why not just spend the $1500 on a gaming desktop and just use the ultrabook in classes?
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 18:47:54 »

Agreed, I have a Samsung series 7 and it was/is great.  The only reason I got the Lenovo that I recommended to him was because my wife needed an upgrade, so I upgraded mine and gave her my old one LOL.  They aren't really built for gaming though.  I got the Lenovo not for gaming, but for virtualization purposes for GNS3, so I need gobs of memory and a high end processor.  I need to be able to smoothly run 20-30 router labs for my CCIE studies, the gaming part is just a nice extra.

As far as laptops built like tanks, why?  The only people I have ever known that NEED ruggedized laptops are construction workers doing work in the field, where there is a high probability of the laptop getting dropped or run over by something.  For anyone else, just treat your laptop with respect and it won't break.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 23:30:23 »

Agreed, I have a Samsung series 7 and it was/is great.  The only reason I got the Lenovo that I recommended to him was because my wife needed an upgrade, so I upgraded mine and gave her my old one LOL.  They aren't really built for gaming though.  I got the Lenovo not for gaming, but for virtualization purposes for GNS3, so I need gobs of memory and a high end processor.  I need to be able to smoothly run 20-30 router labs for my CCIE studies, the gaming part is just a nice extra.

As far as laptops built like tanks, why?  The only people I have ever known that NEED ruggedized laptops are construction workers doing work in the field, where there is a high probability of the laptop getting dropped or run over by something.  For anyone else, just treat your laptop with respect and it won't break.

I need the tankiness because college. Even with a case, the Lenovo's we used to have before the "upgrade" kept getting damaged even with a laptop sleeve. It was one of the less rugged but still weighty models.\

I only say that the Samsung Ultrabooks are crap because my ultrabook is currently unusable (won't even go past boot)...I'm going to give it to the tech people soon, but I rather have a system that is more trusted and reliable. Also I felt limited with the specs on the ultrabook, and I prefer Windows 7 over 8 by far. Don't it's only a fraction of my total pay over the summer (another fraction will probably go to modding this Poker X with ergo or panda clears [not sure yet because I am wondering how the 62g springs feel on clears rather than the 45g springs on the UST sitting in front of me]).

I will let you know how that goes. Plus I love Lenovo's keyboards on their laptops over the flat chiclets on ultrabooks.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 07:38:35 »
I don't get it, maybe times are different but what does tank ness have to do with college? I hated lugging around my 17" HP when I was in college. For travels now I bring a 13" notebook around.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 13:48:18 »
I use my laptop on the bus/train, and carry it between classes few times a day. That's a lot of strain on hinges. Someone can hit the lid with their backpack—or you can get hit by a door when you're carrying the laptop. **** happens.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 14:57:25 »
Get a GOOD laptop backpack.  There is tons of padding for the laptop, and still room for your books.  If that's not enough, then you need to take better care of your stuff.  Either way good choice on the laptop!

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 22:32:52 »
I don't get it, maybe times are different but what does tank ness have to do with college? I hated lugging around my 17" HP when I was in college. For travels now I bring a 13" notebook around.

I like the extra exercise XD. It also tests my back strength after lifting. I have a pretty strong back so carrying a bigger laptop isn't too bad.

I use my laptop on the bus/train, and carry it between classes few times a day. That's a lot of strain on hinges. Someone can hit the lid with their backpack—or you can get hit by a door when you're carrying the laptop. **** happens.

Get a GOOD laptop backpack.  There is tons of padding for the laptop, and still room for your books.  If that's not enough, then you need to take better care of your stuff.  Either way good choice on the laptop!

Stuff happens a lot when you are at college. Especially if you travel to and from places like me and my field places.

I am using a Crooks and Castles backpack ATM which has no padding. It was handed down to me from my brother. I do need a new bag...I wonder if those Herschel backpacks have good paddind on the inside. I can't do the one strap sling bags because they put a horrible strain on my traps. Otherwise yeah getting a new bag would benefit.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 06:13:31 »
Get a Swiss backpack.

As for laptop: At 2 grand if you want all the kicks might as well get a dare-I-say-it Razer Blade. Although the price tag is obnoxiously high, it is probably one of the best, definitely not $/value but yeah.

Other than that: Sager is one of the cheaper more value behind the buck.

I personally like Toshiba for quality, they last a wholeeeeee lot longer than most notebook companies.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 08:34:09 »
I personally like Toshiba for quality, they last a wholeeeeee lot longer than most notebook companies.

Which one? The gaming qosmio I'm repairing these days is utter crap. The cooling system is designed not to last longer than three years (those *******s/idiot "engineers" put dust filters on most holes in the case... obviously, those get filled with dirt in days), and it's impossible to clean it without removing whole mobo. However, you need to get past 40 screws (at least 5 different, non-standard sorts of them) and some plastic hinges to do that—good luck not breaking them. It's not the first time I'm dealing with this kind of stuff.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 12:17:54 »
The best laptop I have ever owned is my 11-inch Macbook Air (MBA). My primary computers are desktops (Mac, Linux, and Windows), and so I use a laptop only when I need portability. The 11-inch MBA is something I actually take with me to meetings, classes, and on the road. Even a 13-inch Macbook was a bit too bulky for me to enjoy traveling with it. However, if Windows-based games are important to you, I suppose you would want a powerful PC/Win laptop, although you can run Windows on a Mac using Bootcamp. You can also run Windows in a virtual machine, but performance would suffer.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 13:11:04 »
The best laptop I have ever owned is my 11-inch Macbook Air (MBA). My primary computers are desktops (Mac, Linux, and Windows), and so I use a laptop only when I need portability. The 11-inch MBA is something I actually take with me to meetings, classes, and on the road. Even a 13-inch Macbook was a bit too bulky for me to enjoy traveling with it. However, if Windows-based games are important to you, I suppose you would want a powerful PC/Win laptop, although you can run Windows on a Mac using Bootcamp. You can also run Windows in a virtual machine, but performance would suffer.

Yeah the only thing Windows still has over Mac is gaming... Mac laptops are really taking the upper hands nowadays for their insane battery life, incredibly beautiful screens and weightlessness.

But it's ****ing 1000$+ and that's the dealbreaker.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 16:27:04 »

Yeah the only thing Windows still has over Mac is gaming... Mac laptops are really taking the upper hands nowadays for their insane battery life, incredibly beautiful screens and weightlessness.

But it's ****ing 1000$+ and that's the dealbreaker.

Yep, there's truth in the old adage, "You get what you pay for!" In the past, I have paid more for PC/Win laptops that were disappointments in many ways, including being so bulky and heavy I left them behind when traveling. In contrast, my Macbook Air has paid for itself by contributing to increased productivity and being easy to take along on business trips.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 22:48:16 »
I don't like Apple as a company and only find their usage in the iPhone and maybe the iPad for teaching purposes, but I am going to stick with Windows because I find more use with that than I do with Apple products. Thanks for the input though.

I think I am going to stick with Lenovo on this one.

Planning on getting the Y510p with the SLI graphics card. I chose this one because they changed what you would get with the y500 including no option for the SLI graphics card. It looks like an upgrade to the y500, with changes that are worth it... and the model I am looking at is actually cheaper with better and update components (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/)

Just gotta wait for that final paycheck so I can order it.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 10:38:25 »
It is great that we have so many choices, many of them good.

Although I use Macs as my primary computers, I am running Windows on one of my Macs for those situations when I need a Windows-only application.

As for tablets and phones, I prefer Android devices over the iPad or iPhone, because you can actually access the file system. For my laptop and desktops, I like OS X, not only for the file system, but because the underlying system is Unix, which is directly accessible via the terminal.

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:41:48 »
My next upgrade will be a Macbook Air with retina (if it ever arrives - hopefully sometime next year).

Will be sticking Linux on it though, I have the Mac mini and that's all the Mac OSX I can handle.

Gaming on a laptop is not very practical for me, my current Sony Vaio (SZ770N) is about the maximum weight I can tolerate on a laptop. If weight is not an issue you will find some damn impressive laptop hardware in the market reasonably priced. It's only when you want lightweight and performance where the prices are sky high.

Lenovo supposedly have the best laptop keyboards, not sure which models, search the forum.
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 16:30:29 »
Should I spend more for the 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz or the 16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz for the Y510p?

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 18:47:36 »
It's a bit closer to the higher end of your price range, here. But I'd like to throw in a vote for Origin PC.

http://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/eon17-s/
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 07:31:49 »
My next upgrade will be a Macbook Air with retina (if it ever arrives - hopefully sometime next year).

Will be sticking Linux on it though, I have the Mac mini and that's all the Mac OSX I can handle.

My friend, do not dream about a retina MBA, it ain't happening for the only reason that Apple wants the MBA to have the highest battery life, and it would be impossible with a retina screen.

For a laptop with retina you need to go MBP, which is currently not a deal since you get a ****ing dvd drive which is worthless in 2013.

Plus if you stick Linux on it, it's going to be worthless; Linux won't be able to exploit the full retina resolution and contrast capability since Apple proprietary hardware is most probably not supported by Linux.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:17:30 »
Should I spend more for the 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz or the 16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz for the Y510p?

8gb probably.

TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 03:00:54 »

My friend, do not dream about a retina MBA, it ain't happening for the only reason that Apple wants the MBA to have the highest battery life, and it would be impossible with a retina screen.

For a laptop with retina you need to go MBP, which is currently not a deal since you get a ****ing dvd drive which is worthless in 2013.

Plus if you stick Linux on it, it's going to be worthless; Linux won't be able to exploit the full retina resolution and contrast capability since Apple proprietary hardware is most probably not supported by Linux.

I think they can make it an option at least. For me the form factor of the Air is just about right. There are workarounds for retina on linux. The other option is the lenovo X1 carbon ultrabooks which are just as tasty.
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline compgeke

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 04:11:43 »
I would like to point out that a tough laptop in a school is actually a great thing to have, my Latitude E6400 took a good deal of damage at a high school level, from things such as being knocked off a table, cord got tripped on, etc. My school requires you to have a laptop, and a lot have damage just from the fact that they're taken everywhere every day. Taking care of it yourself is one thing, having it around others is another.

Personally I can vouch for don't get any of the cheap consumer crap. A $300 Toshiba or HP or whatnot won't last you two years if you take it everywhere, I've seen a lot with broken screen hinges as they broke out of the plastic casing.

On a better note, the business-grade or higher end laptops last a bit longer when around people. No one has invested in a Toughbook yet, but the Thinkpads, Latitudes and Macbooks all seem to stay in one piece longer.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 10:31:06 »
I would like to point out that a tough laptop in a school is actually a great thing to have, my Latitude E6400 took a good deal of damage at a high school level, from things such as being knocked off a table, cord got tripped on, etc. My school requires you to have a laptop, and a lot have damage just from the fact that they're taken everywhere every day. Taking care of it yourself is one thing, having it around others is another.

Personally I can vouch for don't get any of the cheap consumer crap. A $300 Toshiba or HP or whatnot won't last you two years if you take it everywhere, I've seen a lot with broken screen hinges as they broke out of the plastic casing.

On a better note, the business-grade or higher end laptops last a bit longer when around people. No one has invested in a Toughbook yet, but the Thinkpads, Latitudes and Macbooks all seem to stay in one piece longer.

i'd say its more how careful one takes care of their things.
I have an old Dell XPS M1530 that still works just fine after 5 years, and this is the one that has the faulty nvidia chipset allegedly.
i used to bring that sucker to and from work everyday before I got myself an ipad to do less problems.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 17:25:12 »
So I went ahead and bought a Lenovo Y500 with dual SLI GT650M graphics card.

Only reason I bought it is because my mom wanted to get the points for her Sears account, so I am going to be paying her back in increments (and she is an amazing mom because she is only having me pay 900 instead of the full 1300).

Pretty sure the 650m will be enough for my gaming needs, and the amount of memory is just crazy so I won't be struggling with that. I might have to buy Microsoft Word because OpenOffice is buns to me. Unless it is easy to get a torrented version without worrying. It's Windows 8, but oh well.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 03:20:29 »
If you're computer savvy, and are able to create new rules for your firewall, most torrented programs wont provide a problem. Once the program is installed, and activated (you generally want to disconnect from the network and do an offline activation, with the use of some form of key generation) you set up a new firewall rule before reconnecting to the network, keeping your new program from communicating out, and therefore shutting down any possibility of it trying to call for an update, and being noticed by the issuing authority and shutting down your copy, or sending up your IP.

The key is creating the new firewall rule. If you can do that, and find a copy that's vouched for by enough comments, then you're in the clear.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 16:19:39 »
Make sure you don't replace your crap laptop with an Apple laptop. You'll just be getting another piece of crap.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 18:50:19 »
Make sure you don't replace your crap laptop with an Apple laptop. You'll just be getting another piece of crap.

Oh I know. My brother has had his laptop for only a year and it sucks. I also don't like the OS.