Author Topic: So I walked into Best Buy today...  (Read 5604 times)

Offline Dimswitch

So I walked into Best Buy today...
« on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 15:51:03 »
And whilst strolling through the gaming peripherals I spot the "Razer BlackWidow Ulitimate 2013 Elite Mechanical Gaming Keyboard" (catchy name). I've been looking at it for literally three seconds when an employee runs up to me telling me how he has two (why?), it sounds amazing to type on, it's the second coming of Christ, etc, etc...

"Wow," I think, "Must be pretty friggen' sweet."

I knew the board had MX blues in it from reading online. Mind you, I've never touched a Cherry MX board before, only buckling spring (favorite=Model F XT), so I was excited when I saw that this particular product had exposed keys for the shopper's testing convenience. 
More

So I reached out, depressed said keys and...

:-\

Threw up in my mouth a little bit.

It sounded cheap. Like stepping on a McDonalds kid's meal toy. It felt cheap. Like a rubber dome with some sand or grit stuck in the slide. Confused and disappointed, I think: "These are the MX Blues everybody's talking about online?!"

So now I have to ask, was this board a fluke? Are all Cherry Blues like this? Is this simply more of Razer's "gaming-grade" garbage? Or am I just completely spoiled by buckling springs?
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2013, 15:57:35 by Dimswitch »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: So I walked into Best Buy today...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 15:52:49 »
There is a Hitler style hatred of that board on this site. We dare not speak its name.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 15:54:35 »
How dare you doubt the second coming of christ?!
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 15:54:50 »
Lol, We can't tell you what you're going to feel when you touch something. If you think they're bad, then they're bad for you. Now you know.

I like AT F switches more than the Cherry Blues, but Blues are my favorite Cherry switch.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 15:55:19 »
Mind you, I've never touched a Cherry MX board before, only buckling spring (favorite=Model F XT)

Or am I just completely spoiled by buckling springs?

Every keyboard in the universe is cheap plastic after a Model F - even a Model M.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 15:55:54 »
The way you compare blues to BS is accurate. They are little plastic toys compared to BS. Perhaps you would prefer greens, the heavier blues.

Although I do enjoy using blues.

Offline Dimswitch

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 15:59:58 »
Mind you, I've never touched a Cherry MX board before, only buckling spring (favorite=Model F XT)

Or am I just completely spoiled by buckling springs?

Every keyboard in the universe is cheap plastic after a Model F - even a Model M.

I'm beginning to notice that... Kinda funny that the first mechanical keyboard I ever pressed down on was an F... It's all downhill from here I guess, haha...

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:00:34 »
I am about to get a green switch board within days, soooo excited!! Hope they have comparable actuation force to BS!
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:04:18 by linziyi »
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:02:04 »
If you have BS-using man-hands then just stick to BS :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Dimswitch

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:02:32 »
The way you compare blues to BS is accurate. They are little plastic toys compared to BS. Perhaps you would prefer greens, the heavier blues.

Although I do enjoy using blues.

I'd certainly like to try the greens. I do think part of my problem with the blues is that they feel too light. I'm also guessing that if the switches were mounted in a better platform than the "RBWEMGK2013" that would help...

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:04:02 »

Even the Space Cadet (and similar lisp boards) with hall effect switches? Or beam springs? Or steno machines?

There's a few insane quality boards out there alongside the f.

But seriously, if someone made a self contained f switch somehow, I'd totally direct wire an edox type board with it.

Offline Dimswitch

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:04:27 »
How dare you doubt the second coming of christ?!

Haha, I know. All I could think was: "That dude paid $260 for a double-dose of this?!"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:06:38 »
Even the Space Cadet (and similar lisp boards) with hall effect switches? Or beam springs? Or steno machines?

Right, I am speaking out of ignorance. I have not used those rare esoteric boards you mentioned.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:10:11 »

Right, I am speaking out of ignorance. I have not used those rare esoteric boards you mentioned.

Ha, yeah, the lisp boards are damn near impossible to get and beams are anything but easy.

Steno is easy to get. They just cost like three grand.

Also, what if the employee just gets money when he makes sales so he has two of everything in the store if someones looking to buy it?

Offline Dimswitch

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:18:07 »
Also, what if the employee just gets money when he makes sales so he has two of everything in the store if someones looking to buy it?

It's possible, but I had a friend who worked at best buy a couple years ago and they didn't get any sort of commission then...

Offline viatical08

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:30:30 »

Not going to lie, that hurt a little bit.
Quickfire Stealth Blues

Offline Dimswitch

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:39:59 »

Not going to lie, that hurt a little bit.

Hey, I'm not saying that all blues are bad (I wouldn't know, tbh). All I know is that that Razer board was... Double plus ungood.

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:40:12 »
You should look into Clears if you're not already completely turned off to Cherry MX switches. I find them to be a nice complement to a buckling spring board because although they're not nearly as tactile, they're much quieter.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:44:42 »
There is a Hitler style hatred of that board on this site. We dare not speak its name.

haha

Though to be fair, you can not really judge the way a keyboard feels unless you actually get to type on it. Also, there are different switches available, different people like different things.

My girlfriend loves her chiclet style keyboard on her laptop, not only that , but the is a blazingly fast typist on it, reaching 80 WPM when I asked her to check her speed on 10 fast fingers. No doubt she can do faster with a couple more tries. I struggle to get past 75 on my fancy mechanical keyboards. Different people, different things.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 17:42:35 »
If you ever get a chance try a topre board some time :)
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 17:56:27 »
He'd probably hate it lol

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 18:27:57 »
Are all Cherry Blues like this?

Sorta. It does make a difference if you have a set of good quality keycaps or not, but they still don't feel as solid as BS switches.

TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline calavera

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 18:31:23 »
So I walked into Best Buy today...

I stopped reading right there.

Just kidding :D

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 18:35:18 »
Imo, its just a bad keyboard but if I found one for $30 ill just harvest the switches. Lol.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 18:57:34 »
The Razer stuff has the delightful combination of cutting every single corner, every single cost, throwing any attempt to produce a decent product out the window, and spending all that money on marketing. If they could find MX Blue knockoffs cheap enough, rest assured, it would be "Cherry MX Blue*" with "* - or equivalent as determined by us."

So no. Real keyboards don't feel like that at all. Razer is not a real keyboard. Especially when they're stupid enough to leave the keyboard exposed, where gods only know how many filthy hands have touched it, drooled on it, and hit it with hammers. (BestBuy for some inexplicable reason, still gets a decent amount of traffic. So presume lots.)
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 19:10:39 »
He'd probably hate it lol

I dunno if he likes solid feeling keyboards then realforce is super solid and silky smooth.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 19:22:38 »
I started using my FK-2001 w/Simplified White ALPS again and I'm having a hard time understanding why I stopped (maybe because it is full size).

The only way I can explain it is, "It's like typing on ten MX Blues at the same time with one finger"

The click is as intense as a buckling spring minus the size of the keyboard.

Pure gold....I highly suggest it to anyone and everyone!!!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 19:42:50 »
I don't give a flying f. if it feels cheap... as long as it's an ergodox

Offline Rafen

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 21:16:43 »
I have never used BS, but I hate the way the switches feel on the Black Widow switches weather they are the browns or blues.  The board for some reason just makes the switches feel really cheap.

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 22:09:32 »
I have never used BS, but I hate the way the switches feel on the Black Widow switches weather they are the browns or blues.  The board for some reason just makes the switches feel really cheap.

I had the black widow ultimate stealth (browns) and it felt pretty good.  the caps were thicker because of the backlighting.  I tried the non backlit version and the caps were super thin and flimsy.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 22:54:01 »
One time I walked into a best buy hoping to find some type of board that had Cherry MX switches (I was new okay...), and I asked if they had any mechanical keyboards...the worker looked at me like I had five heads.

Never...Again...
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline Dimswitch

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 01:00:02 »
If you ever get a chance try a topre board some time :)

I'd love to. Unfortunately they're a bit above my pay grade at the moment.  :-[

The Razer stuff has the delightful combination of cutting every single corner, every single cost, throwing any attempt to produce a decent product out the window, and spending all that money on marketing. If they could find MX Blue knockoffs cheap enough, rest assured, it would be "Cherry MX Blue*" with "* - or equivalent as determined by us."

So no. Real keyboards don't feel like that at all. Razer is not a real keyboard. Especially when they're stupid enough to leave the keyboard exposed, where gods only know how many filthy hands have touched it, drooled on it, and hit it with hammers. (BestBuy for some inexplicable reason, still gets a decent amount of traffic. So presume lots.)

Yeah... My first and only Razer purchase resulted in my computer being infected with a nasty virus - by downloading the latest official drivers from the official site... I had to reformat my PC. Needless to say I returned the mouse and swore off Razer products for good. http://www.geek.com/news/razer-driver-downloads-include-a-trojan-912111/