Author Topic: Went to a farm today  (Read 9142 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Went to a farm today
« on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 05:18:33 »
And saw some animals that you don't usually see at a farm (along with the usual crowd of pigs, sheep, chickens and so on that everyone knows what they look like).

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Re: Went to a farm today
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 05:22:03 »
Makes me want to go to a zoo. I just want to sit and watch a gorilla.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Narcix

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 05:42:39 »
 :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama:
Keycool 87 Grey PBT with mx blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 06:35:37 »
This was a farm, not a zoo, and yes, the first pic is a llama :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 06:42:58 »
Show Image

^^ This guy knows what's up!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 06:48:45 »
He's da boss!

Although I think the one next to him pushed him away when the food came out.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 06:57:05 »
He's da boss!

Although I think the one next to him pushed him away when the food came out.

I heard about this guy who is a billionaire here in the usa the other day who has a pet kangaroo.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 08:13:51 »
Cool pics, thanks! What do they do with the kangaroos? Typically ranch animals in the U.S. are kept for some combo of milk, meat, wool, or labor. It's hard to imagine roos fulfilling any of those roles.

I live in southern California, and we have some ostrich, emu, and alpaca ranchers in the rural areas of the county.

Offline xiaokucha

• Singing in the rain
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 08:22:14 »
Cool pics, thanks! What do they do with the kangaroos? Typically ranch animals in the U.S. are kept for some combo of milk, meat, wool, or labor. It's hard to imagine roos fulfilling any of those roles.

I live in southern California, and we have some ostrich, emu, and alpaca ranchers in the rural areas of the county.

maybe human vs kangaroo boxing?
B4DD00D5

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 08:23:26 »

I would eat a kangaroo.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 08:32:40 »

I have a baseball glove made from Kangaroo leather.  Much softer than cow leather.

Also, camels always look like they are having a great time.  Strikes me as a no nonsense animal.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 08:55:35 »
Those kangaroos like so comfy. They're just lounging!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 09:32:20 »
I'd want to have a dance-off with one of those chill roos.... I wonder if the trigger word for a deadly dance confrontation is in german or something like "krikey!"
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 09:33:33 »
I'd want to have a dance-off with one of those chill roos.... I wonder if the trigger word for a deadly dance confrontation is in german or something like "krikey!"

I bet you could take him Binge!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 10:45:34 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 10:48:05 »
Show Image

^^ This guy knows what's up!

What?? what???

Show Image

Somebody's been hittin the gym....or possibly taking steroids....

Offline belac

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 10:54:14 »
I saw your pics and thought "Hey, that looks like Kentucky Down Under". Then I saw you're in Australia and thought "hey, I guess that place in Kentucky is named appropriately." Nice pics

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 10:54:34 »

Nah, he's been hitting the heavy bag

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 10:56:04 »
I want to go to Australia now lol

those kangaroos looks sweet 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 10:58:50 »

Nah, he's been hitting the heavy bag

Show Image

I want one now....forget having a dog that just barks at people who tresspass.....this guy.....#legitballbuster

Offline UniClown

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 11:45:19 »
I love how the kangaroos look lying on the ground. They just DNGAF

Offline mauri

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 12:47:29 »

Afaik kangaroo leather/skin is used in a lot of shoes :3
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 13:16:29 »
So do you milk the kangaroos or eat kangaroo eggs or something?

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 13:25:16 »
lol wtf!

That kangaroo bro posted looks like he could easily kill a muh****a! (with his bare... paws?)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 13:30:12 »

Yeah too bad the eggs only come scrambled.

Offline Yzeets

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 13:51:16 »
that last picture is amazing I didn't know Australia had grass, I always see it as a big field of red looking clay

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 16:56:20 »
Just for reference, most farms do not have kangaroos.  Or camels.  Not sure about the kangaroos, but the camels were someone's pet but grew too big for their back yard so the farm adopted them.

You can eat kangaroo meat, although there is some reluctance to do so, maybe in part because the kangaroo is (unofficially?) Australia's national symbol.

I have a baseball glove made from Kangaroo leather.  Much softer than cow leather.

Also, camels always look like they are having a great time.  Strikes me as a no nonsense animal.

This camel was off in the middle of the field.  It had a rope around its neck and I thought "He's not going to come all the way over here".  He did.  Slowly and purposefully.  I backed away and zoomed the camera in a bit.  Those things are big.

Although I did have a camel ride a few years ago - not very comfortable.  And you have to hold on when the thing stands up.

Those kangaroos like so comfy. They're just lounging!

They were all lying around when we arrived, but when the food bags came out most of them came over to the fence.

http://www.gamemeats.com.au/kangaroo.html

Yeah too bad the eggs only come scrambled.

Shaken, but not stirred.

that last picture is amazing I didn't know Australia had grass, I always see it as a big field of red looking clay

There is a lot of grass here, but mostly around the edges.  In the middle is lots of sand.  THe very edges have sand too.  Some of the grass is green.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 17:10:15 »
I would love to eat an ostrich egg for breakfast. Over easy. With all the other good breakfast stuff. Bacon hash browns etc. it would be hard to finish. Maybe impossible. But it's on my bucket list.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 19:03:57 »
Kangaroos have to be one of the top ten most chill animals.

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 19:16:53 »
The vast majority of kangaroo meat comes from commercial hunting of wild kangaroos. I've eaten it a few times, it's got an interesting flavour, not some something I'd eat regularly though.

They're lovely animals they just have a horrible habit of jumping out in front of cars, as my car and I experienced last year :/
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 19:27:10 »
I've had kangaroo before, it's surprisingly close to the taste of beef. So close you may not even know the difference if someone doesn't tell you.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 21:19:48 »
I would love to eat an ostrich egg for breakfast. Over easy. With all the other good breakfast stuff. Bacon hash browns etc. it would be hard to finish. Maybe impossible. But it's on my bucket list.

You might need a bucket after eating that!

I've had kangaroo before, it's surprisingly close to the taste of beef. So close you may not even know the difference if someone doesn't tell you.

Like horse meat in Europe?

Offline iri

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 04:58:00 »
ostrich / llama / camel farms here. no kangaroos though :(
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 05:22:27 »
Those were emus, not ostriches :)

And as a pronunciation guide, in Australia it is pronounced like "eem-you", NOT "ee-mooo" ;)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 07:36:39 »

In a similar vein, I've had ostrich meat.  Tastes like bbef, only less greasy.  I find that most exotic meats just end up tasting like beef or chicken.  As red meats go, it's tough to beat a good buffalo.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 15:08:38 »

In a similar vein, I've had ostrich meat.  Tastes like bbef, only less greasy.  I find that most exotic meats just end up tasting like beef or chicken.  As red meats go, it's tough to beat a good buffalo.

Everything tastes like chicken, doesn't it?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 16:20:04 »

I've always felt this might be because people always have chicken soup which is solely a chicken flavor when they have nasal congestion, or a cold or sick with something.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 17:22:17 »

I've always felt this might be because people always have chicken soup which is solely a chicken flavor when they have nasal congestion, or a cold or sick with something.

I am yet to find chicken-flavoured chocolate though.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 17:51:09 »

Yes! Grass fed American bison is awesome. Makes me feel a little extra 'MURICAN every time I taste it...

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 18:01:51 »
I went to a free range farm about a month ago to buy some fresh chickens.  I saw these little guys and I got hungry for some goat taco's. 

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 04:27:08 »
I went to a free range farm about a month ago to buy some fresh chickens.  I saw these little guys and I got hungry for some goat taco's. 

Show Image

I try not to eat animals based on how good they taste.

Because doing so is feeding an unnecessary mental demand for satisifaction. Where the true purpose of consumption is thwarted; that being the need to recharge.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 10:58:50 »
I just don't eat animals.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 10:59:47 »

Show Image

I try not to eat animals based on how good they taste.

Because doing so is feeding an unnecessary mental demand for satisifaction. Where the true purpose of consumption is thwarted; that being the need to recharge.

So in that respect beef liver trumps ribeye steak?

:o :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:11:04 »

An admirable sentiment :)

Do you need to take many dietary supplements?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:19:16 »

Haha, thanks.  It's nice to have someone just say that.  I spent time in Texas and usually the responses were quite a bit different.

Just some anti-oxidants and sometimes something like hemp or flax oils for omega 3s.  I probably should take some others just to make absolutely sure that I've getting everything I should, but I generally have a pretty balanced diet with plenty of leafy greens and a wide spectrum of colored vegetables.  It's actually really easy to get everything you need on a vegetarian diet if you eat more healthy and balanced.  The problem is that many vegetarian diets are people who don't do any research into it and don't exactly eat much healthier than fast food.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:27:17 »

Haha, thanks.  It's nice to have someone just say that.  I spent time in Texas and usually the responses were quite a bit different.

Just some anti-oxidants and sometimes something like hemp or flax oils for omega 3s.  I probably should take some others just to make absolutely sure that I've getting everything I should, but I generally have a pretty balanced diet with plenty of leafy greens and a wide spectrum of colored vegetables.  It's actually really easy to get everything you need on a vegetarian diet if you eat more healthy and balanced.  The problem is that many vegetarian diets are people who don't do any research into it and don't exactly eat much healthier than fast food.

I am a carnivore (sorry), but my mother has been vegetarian for decades and she is as healthy as.

I've tried vegetarianism a couple of times, but not for much more than a week or two.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:27:52 »

Congrats on breaking 1000 posts!   ;D

I've been a vegetarian myself, since about 2002.  (And also lived in Texas, but that was only for three years...)  Get a little protein anxious once in a while, but I eat a lot of edamame, legumes, and have soy milk on my breakfast cereal. 

In some ways I think the influx of tech workers from Asia has increased the demand for vegetarian options.  More and more grocery stores carry veggie options in pre-packaged meals, like the Amy's line, or various Indian dishes.  There are also a lot of dishes that work fine when done as vegetarian, like risotto and chili. 

Making me hungry...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:30:29 »

I've been a vegetarian myself, since about 2002.  (And also lived in Texas, but that was only for three years...)  Get a little protein anxious once in a while, but I eat a lot of edamame, legumes, and have soy milk on my breakfast cereal. 

In some ways I think the influx of tech workers from Asia has increased the demand for vegetarian options.  More and more grocery stores carry veggie options in pre-packaged meals, like the Amy's line, or various Indian dishes.  There are also a lot of dishes that work fine when done as vegetarian, like risotto and chili. 

Making me hungry...

Thai food is a godsend as is Trader Joe's.  And it's fun to experiment with different vegetarian dishes.  If you like Risotto, try making it with Soyrizo, a little lime, a little cilantor, and vegan sour cream.  It's tasty.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:30:38 »

Making me hungry...

Went to a restaurant recently, and the items on the menu were highlighted as suitable for vegetarians, extra-healthy, or both.

There were surprisingly few that were both.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:32:11 »
That's funny, because it's pretty darn easy to do both.  Sounds like they didn't know how to make good vegetarian foods and relied heavily on salt and dairy to make it better tasting.