Author Topic: BitMessage  (Read 2920 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
BitMessage
« on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 08:38:58 »
Anyone here use BitMessage?

Q: What is BitMessage?
A: Bitmessage is a P2P communications protocol used to send encrypted messages to another person or to many subscribers. It is decentralized and trustless, meaning that you need-not inherently trust any entities like root certificate authorities. It uses strong authentication which means that the sender of a message cannot be spoofed, and it aims to hide "non-content" data, like the sender and receiver of messages, from passive eavesdroppers like those running warrantless wiretapping programs. If Bitmessage is completely new to you, you may wish to start by reading the whitepaper. [Taken from https://bitmessage.org/wiki/Main_Page]

BitMessage works a lot like Bitcoin, except that you aren't mining anything. All connections are peer-to-peer (P2P) and there is no central server that must relay your messages. It is encrypted by default. It also discourages spam, since your machine must complete a proof-of-work block for every message you send or relay. While your machine is on and running the BitMessage software, your client becomes a node in a stream. Everything is decentralized, so redundancy is inherent.

Setting up BitMessage on Windows: tutorial

My BitMessage address: BM-2DBW5S8B9ee5Kdjeu9x32fmvaycjY3ESfX

Send me a message, I'll send you one back!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Re: BitMessage
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 10:22:53 »
jdcarpe: BM-2DBW5S8B9ee5Kdjeu9x32fmvaycjY3ESfX
Binge: BM-2D7BBV1njsgufyojXnP4jjEdaYNDYVFfJk
[username]: [BitMessage address]
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 August 2013, 09:34:35 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 10:29:50 »
Looks interesting, although I don't know what I'd do with it so I'll just keep an eye on this thread for now, might decide to set it up sometime later.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 10:43:13 »
Looks interesting, although I don't know what I'd do with it so I'll just keep an eye on this thread for now, might decide to set it up sometime later.

Well, if you can get people to use it to exchange messages instead of email, it can be your email replacement. With the recent revelations into what the NSA is collecting from services based here in the US, such as Gmail, etc., I think we will see more decentralized messaging such as this.

in memoriam

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 10:44:20 »
Why not just use encrypted email then?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 10:46:19 »
I am sending one to you, jd. It is still trying to get your pub key :P

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 10:50:04 »

Because people won't do it. It's too much trouble for them to setup keys in GnuPG, use Thunderbird + Enigmail, etc. Also, this hides the sender and receiver information, as well, since there is no header sent in the clear.

in memoriam

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 10:50:06 »

Well, if you can get people to use it to exchange messages instead of email, it can be your email replacement. With the recent revelations into what the NSA is collecting from services based here in the US, such as Gmail, etc., I think we will see more decentralized messaging such as this.

That's where I'm not seeing the immediate benefit for me, it's probably over a year since I used e-mail to talk to someone, after that pretty much all the e-mails I've sent have been to various customer supports and whatnot.
Not really expecting them to switch to this anytime soon. Most of my online conversation is done via skype or something.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:01:58 »

Because people won't do it. It's too much trouble for them to setup keys in GnuPG, use Thunderbird + Enigmail, etc. Also, this hides the sender and receiver information, as well, since there is no header sent in the clear.

My words are so compelling that even without address information, they'd immediately know who sent it

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:04:06 »

My words are so compelling that even without address information, they'd immediately know who sent it

Show Image

Sounds about right.
I love Elzy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:04:52 »

Show Image

Sounds about right.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:08:09 »

Show Image

Your on the watchlist aren't you?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:20:55 »

This is cool, but I wish to remain off the 'No-Fly List', LOL!
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:50:48 »

Show Image

Your on the watchlist aren't you?

which one are you referring to, GH or NSA

Offline uzoc

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 18:35:15 »
JDcarpe: Sent you a message, just wanted to know what the reply looks like... 

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 08:45:04 »
I've hopped on board, here's my public GH address,

BM-2D7BBV1njsgufyojXnP4jjEdaYNDYVFfJk
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline uzoc

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 10:16:23 »
If you give out your address here (or anywhere public/private), it starts becoming less secure...
It can be linked to your Geekhack ID and contact info, etc, etc.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 10:27:00 »
^ this does not make sense.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."