Author Topic: LAPTOPS  (Read 26788 times)

Offline vyshane

Re: LAPTOPS
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 19:55:38 »
Mannnnnnnnn I want a Thinkpad w i7 so bad! Are they really that great? So tempting!!!!

not all i7s are great.. the ulv ones are slowwwwwwwwwww....

Depends what you use the machine for. Some people will take 13 hours of battery life over a faster CPU.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 19:58:39 »
Mannnnnnnnn I want a Thinkpad w i7 so bad! Are they really that great? So tempting!!!!

Depends what you use the machine for. Some people will take 13 hours of battery life over a faster CPU.

Web Design

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 20:16:17 »

those people should go home and stop trolling @ starbux.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 20:21:48 »

I'm in the battery life camp personally. I mostly use my laptop for coding so 90% of the time my CPU is sitting at like 5% usage.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 20:44:51 »

I'm in the battery life camp personally. I mostly use my laptop for coding so 90% of the time my CPU is sitting at like 5% usage.

then battery life doesn't really even apply to you..

you're gonna code, "outside" @ starbux for 9 hours?

That doesn't make sense..

and faster CPU is not inversely proportional to battery life...

it CAN drain battery quicker, but with power-gating... it does not, if you're just doing what you said, coding.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 20:52:07 »

then battery life doesn't really even apply to you..

you're gonna code, "outside" @ starbux for 9 hours?

That doesn't make sense..

You're the one who brought up Starbucks, I don't even drink coffee. I study from home, work and my mentor's offices in the evening so I need battery life if I want to make it through the day and not lug my power pack around.

and faster CPU is not inversely proportional to battery life...

it CAN drain battery quicker, but with power-gating... it does not, if you're just doing what you said, coding.

And your point is? Why would I buy an i7 if all I'm doing is running Eclipse and an SQL server, my i3 4000m does the job nicely and I get like 9 hours out of a charge.

It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 13:23:14 »
my ThinkPad X230 can get this much battery life and it doesn't use an "ultrabook" i7 CPU

it is also still very much a portable machine, even with the slice battery attached. of course, what you're comfortable with carrying around in a backpack is a personal thing. I personally don't care if my laptop is thicker than my phone. some people do, weirdly. For you people, an Ultrabook is an ok choice.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 20:30:10 »
my ThinkPad X230 can get this much battery life and it doesn't use an "ultrabook" i7 CPU
Show Image

it is also still very much a portable machine, even with the slice battery attached. of course, what you're comfortable with carrying around in a backpack is a personal thing. I personally don't care if my laptop is thicker than my phone. some people do, weirdly. For you people, an Ultrabook is an ok choice.

that number's a lie and u know it.. my experience with x230 14 hours tops with both batteries.

maybe a little.... more with undervolting..

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 20:44:26 »
Show Image

that number's a lie and u know it.. my experience with x230 14 hours tops with both batteries.

that number is not a lie, and you're a fail troll.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 23:53:09 »
Show Image

Consider your post count, now consider his.
Consider your accusation, now back to his.
(i.e. stop barking)
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 04:24:37 »
Show Image

(i.e. stop barking)

tenure has absolutely bugger all to do with whether someone is trolling or not.

So around here, in your opinion, your post count means that you have more legitimacy?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 09:24:10 »
Show Image

(i.e. stop barking)

So around here, in your opinion, your post count means that you have more legitimacy?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 21:56:03 »
Show Image

(i.e. stop barking)

You're embarrassing yourself. I thought it was obvious that I was being sarcastic, but I suppose it went over your head.
If you look over what you posted, you might realize that tp was making an observation about battery life, and on the likelihood that something was an exaggeration. You, on the other hand, flew off the handle and made a pretty poor excuse of a comeback.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 23:35:59 »
picked up an MSI gt 680m barebones last may when i was shopping around for a new pc, decided to go the laptop route due to having to travel a couple times a week to stay with and check up on mom on my days off work. little guy is pretty beastly and can play any game i throw at it comfortably at high settings, cant get used to a 15" inch monitor so i picked up a Benq2420TE when they were on sale for black friday. Should probably get an actual camera if im going to continue to post extremely crappy pictures  :-[  *edit wouldnt recommend gaming without without the plug though, nvidia optimus promised 2 hours of gaming unplugged which it does do. However doing that cuts the GPU usuage percent by 50% so bye bye high settings

« Last Edit: Sat, 14 December 2013, 23:38:01 by HipsterPunks »
sell out and eat ass

Offline Canious

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 05:25:46 »
Using alienware m18x with dual 6990m crossfire... the thing is about 4 years old but still runs most games on max settings on 1080p with 50+ fps. Im thinking of getting a mac book air for college tho not sure atm lol

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 05:33:18 »
Does anyone know if the battery life time estimate thing is an option that I somehow haven't got turned on somewhere? Ubuntu gives me an estimate but windows 7/8.1 do not.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 08:29:57 »
Show Image

(i.e. stop barking)

You're embarrassing yourself. I thought it was obvious that I was being sarcastic, but I suppose it went over your head.
If you look over what you posted, you might realize that tp was making an observation about battery life, and on the likelihood that something was an exaggeration. You, on the other hand, flew off the handle and made a pretty poor excuse of a comeback.

nope, not really. if you can point out to me where I "flew off the handle" in responding to tp4tissue, I'd be obliged if you could point it out. But you can't, since I didn't fly off any handle at all. My response was entirely appropriate for such a wrongly assuming statement.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 16:59:18 »
ULV processors of late have been sort of a joke or a godsend.
Most of the time, processors are idled down, at which point the differences are FAR more minor. A modern desktop I7 can idle down almost as far as an Atom, so where is the real benefit?  This is what many people don't get.

Yes, when under load the I7 will use more power, but on a process that has an end point, like compiling video, the I7 will crunch it and then idle back down. Meanwhile the Atom will sit crunching for hours at full power. Because of this, the I7 can actually run more efficient over that length of time. HOWEVER, for something like just viewing web pages, the Atom can actually win, because it can sit at a lower rate the entire time as it has finer stepping.

For this reason, if you need the power, a normal processor can actually have better battery life.

As for the argument above, CHILL.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 17:03:25 »
Most of the time, processors are idled down, at which point the differences are FAR more minor. A modern desktop I7 can idle down almost as far as an Atom, so where is the real benefit?  This is what many people don't get.

Yes, when under load the I7 will use more power, but on a process that has an end point, like compiling video, the I7 will crunch it and then idle back down. Meanwhile the Atom will sit crunching for hours at full power. Because of this, the I7 can actually run more efficient over that length of time. HOWEVER, for something like just viewing web pages, the Atom can actually win, because it can sit at a lower rate the entire time as it has finer stepping.

For this reason, if you need the power, a normal processor can actually have better battery life.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 18:22:05 »

Atom? Do Ultrabooks have Atoms in them these days?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 23:43:32 »
I was just using it as an example of how distorted peoples ideas are about processors and battery life.

Best way to really see, is to compare the processors idle wattage, that is where the magic actually is. I'll lose a watt at idle happily for a whole lot more computing power at the top end when I need it.
Ultrabooks, in order to be called an Ultrabook, are supposed to have an SSD and a CULV or SIP I5 or I7 processor. I don't think the I3 even qualifies, much less an Atom.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline cantus

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 21:55:14 »
Using a Vaio Pro 13 currently, my first laptop. I would say its a big change from the desktop I built a while back but I do enjoy the portability that it offers.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 22:05:28 »
I 100% get that the new CPU's can crank themselves down but it still doesn't make want an i7 any more. My i3 never shows any signs of slow-down so I don't see the point in throwing more money at it just so I have an e-peen.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 16:43:15 »
I 100% get that the new CPU's can crank themselves down but it still doesn't make want an i7 any more. My i3 never shows any signs of slow-down so I don't see the point in throwing more money at it just so I have an e-peen.

If you never do anything CPU intensive, that's totally fine. But you obviously don't understand the reason why someone would want to get a higher-powered processor.

Offline tbc

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 00:47:17 »
I was just using it as an example of how distorted peoples ideas are about processors and battery life.

Best way to really see, is to compare the processors idle wattage, that is where the magic actually is. I'll lose a watt at idle happily for a whole lot more computing power at the top end when I need it.
Ultrabooks, in order to be called an Ultrabook, are supposed to have an SSD and a CULV or SIP I5 or I7 processor. I don't think the I3 even qualifies, much less an Atom.

just to clarify some more about the ultrabook spec requirements, the reason they pick cpus with those performance characteristics is because of cooling requirements,  there MUST be a cap on performance or your ub will just shutdown.

if you're doing professional video editing, get a proper machine.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 05:20:46 »

just to clarify some more about the ultrabook spec requirements, the reason they pick cpus with those performance characteristics is because of cooling requirements,  there MUST be a cap on performance or your ub will just shutdown.

Very true, that applies to normal laptops as well. Too many think a laptop is intended for use as a desktop/workstation, and frankly, most are only meant for short bursts of full power, not long term full power. The heatsinks are simply not built for it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 09:45:07 »

Very true, that applies to normal laptops as well. Too many think a laptop is intended for use as a desktop/workstation, and frankly, most are only meant for short bursts of full power, not long term full power. The heatsinks are simply not built for it.

Yet they don't put a label anywhere telling people that they can't full blast the thing...

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 10:07:10 »
2012 MacBook Air. Best laptop I've owned so far.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 14:04:47 »
Lenovo x200 13 inch running ubuntu cuz I couldn't stand Windows 8.
I think I'll re-install windows 8.1
The built in wireless on this thing is dying though.
Ugh.
Lenovos :/

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 15:56:06 »
Ugh.

My housemate has a Lenovo B58 in which the wireless was barely functional when she got it. Ridiculous.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 14:03:57 »

My housemate has a Lenovo B58 in which the wireless was barely functional when she got it. Ridiculous.

I've had two lenovo laptops that worked perfectly and then developed issues (t60 and this x200) after a few months of relatively normal usage.
Alot of my friends also have difficulty with lenovo products.
I think it's time to boycott their products (at least for me).
This really is ridiculous.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 14:46:04 »
Ugh.

she needs to swap out the wify card...  hit up the digital-life forum. get a custom bios.. and BOOM.. great wireless.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 23:29:28 »
Speaking of custom bios, I had to use a CTRL-FN BIOS switch mod because the keyboard placement (FN key then Ctrl Key) was bugging the crap outta me.

Offline Canious

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 00:19:37 »
Macbook pro ftw (comming for a long years of windows user)

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 08:13:30 »
Speaking of custom bios, I had to use a CTRL-FN BIOS switch mod because the keyboard placement (FN key then Ctrl Key) was bugging the crap outta me.

on Lenovo ThinkPads, you don't need to mod the BIOS to do that - the option is there in the stock BIOS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 14:26:57 »

on Lenovo ThinkPads, you don't need to mod the BIOS to do that - the option is there in the stock BIOS

Not ALL of the original thinkpads had the swap feature.. all new ones do

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 09:04:18 »

Not ALL of the original thinkpads had the swap feature.. all new ones do

I never said 'original thinkpads' in my post.

Offline dimamantra

• | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 13:19:43 »
Personal laptop is a MacBook Pro.  I got it so I could focus on having my PC be a gaming only rig.

I have a Lenovo X220 for a work computer and let me say, that thing bangs hard. I love that thing to death.

Offline dimamantra

• | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 13:36:08 »
Macbook pro ftw (comming for a long years of windows user)

I have always been a Windows user up until 4 months ago when I bought my MacPro. It was a heat of the moment buy and I just clicked the buy button online one night around 2:30am. I am not disappointed though at all though as this thing has been great. I write code, go online, IRC, email, etc, etc. Just some general computing needs other than gaming.

EDIT: Spelling.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2014, 13:38:55 by dimamantra »