Author Topic: LAPTOPS  (Read 26789 times)

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
Re: LAPTOPS
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 17:41:27 »
using x230, Will be opting for x240 once that comes out... it seems pretty solid with haswell n all.
Show Image

Really? I found out about the lack of external battery slice, and the fact that you can only have maximum of 8GB RAM (which looks like it is not easily changed) and I decided that I want to make sure I get an X230 before Lenovo stops selling them.

well, those things arn't final..

But the slice battery might be unnecessary given Haswell because you'll already be looking at 8 hours of HEAVY use and 17+ hours of LIGHT use on the beefy 9cell.

Single channel DIMM is confirmed (maximum 8GB RAM), and no slice battery. In fact, the built in battery is a massive "no" for me, and the RAM is incredibly difficult to access.

For what it's worth, I get this long out of my Ivy Bridge X230, which are real world figures. Although there are no real world figures yet on the X240, I'll assume that as in most cases, battery life will fall short of the quoted 17.4 hours Lenovo say it's capable of.

Needless to say, I'm very glad I got the X230 over the X240, there are way to many negatives for me with the X240.

edit: also, the true HD panels that have been mentioned in official Lenovo videos seem to be mysteriously missing from the configuration options on the Lenovo website. This is really the only positive of the X240, and it's not even available on launch! Fail.

dang... well I think I could work with the single channel memory.. as long as it's 1600mhz..

mmm.... well now it's a tough choice, cuz the surface pro 2 seems like a better gadget cuz it has the pen.... not gonna get both since I don't actually need either one.

Well, my X230 accepts and runs my 1866MHz DIMMs at full speed, the X240 does state 1600MHz, but I don't see why it wouldn't run 1866MHz RAM too. Then again, the X240 is a downgrade compared to the X230 due to the single channel lane...

The Surface Pro 2 does look nice, but I couldn't deal with that form factor. I already bought this ThinkPad to replace my Nexus 7 tablet, which I found to be ultimately promising too much and not delivering what I wanted from a portable computer. I think the whole kickstand thing would annoy me way to much, since I prefer using a laptop on my lap instead of at a desk.

If you do get one, would you mind giving a few words on what you think?
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline tormentor

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 04:31:27 »
Inspiron 1501. Also have a 1525 which is worse then the 1501, removed the screen, wifi and hdd (added it to a disc drive enclosure) from the 1525 and added it to the 1501.

Offline vasouv

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 07:06:38 »
I have an HP Pavilion 6520ea, got it in 2006 if I'm not mistaken. It came with 1GB of RAM and ran Vista, which means around a week after I bought it I installed 2GBs of RAM so it ran more smoothly.

At some point I upgraded its RAM to 4GBs and now it runs Win8.1 x64.

Man I love my laptop to death but I really neglect it the last couple of years, I upgraded my desktop and got a bigger monitor so I hardly ever do anything on my lovely HP...

Offline Neal

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 08:06:13 »
Retina MacBook Pro
i7-3720QM Quad-core
16GB 1600 MHz
Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1GB
512GB SSD

I like this thing a lot, mainly because of the insane resolution.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 08:08:21 »
Retina MacBook Pro
i7-3720QM Quad-core
16GB 1600 MHz
512GB SSD

good hardware.. though I'm not a huge fan of the 90C load temp..

I mean.. benefit of the doubt given, since apple probably knows what they're doing w/ T-junc @ 105C...  but that's really close...

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 08:14:12 »
Currently waiting on a Lenovo Edge E440 to arrive, will give a write up on it once its here but here's the specs for the meantime!

Intel i3 4000m
8GB RAM
14” 1366x768
500GB HDD (replacing with 250GB SSD)

Only paid $630 shipped so I'm pretty happy overall, just wish it would arrive already!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 08:18:08 »
Currently waiting on a Lenovo Edge E440 to arrive, will give a write up on it once its here but here's the specs for the meantime!

Intel i3 4000m
8GB RAM
14” 1366x768

Only paid $630 shipped so I'm pretty happy overall, just wish it would arrive already!

IMO the Len Edge series is by far the best looking non-bank-breaking laptops..

You need to get the bios unlocked so you can put in your own wifi card..  I recommend the new intel AC card..

Offline Neal

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 09:08:47 »
Retina MacBook Pro
i7-3720QM Quad-core
16GB 1600 MHz
512GB SSD

good hardware.. though I'm not a huge fan of the 90C load temp..

I mean.. benefit of the doubt given, since apple probably knows what they're doing w/ T-junc @ 105C...  but that's really close...
I do agree, this thing gets HOT.
But I have yet to run into any issues and I've been using this thing hardcore for just over a year now, loving being actually able to do heavy stuff on the road.

I don't play games on it, not really what its intended for. Just 3D work, Photoshop, etc.

Also just love the design, call me a fanboy or not but I'm a sucker for anything that's made out of alu.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 09:09:19 »

Intel i3 4000m
8GB RAM
14” 1366x768

You need to get the bios unlocked so you can put in your own wifi card..  I recommend the new intel AC card..

Cheers for the heads up, I'm tossing up on whether to get one or save the spot for an MSSD down the line.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 09:29:44 »

Intel i3 4000m
8GB RAM
14” 1366x768

Definitely agree on the aesthetics there - I've always had a thing for the the industrial design of the ThinkPad series, and the Edge definitely follows it but then adds a modern flair to it. Some find the utilitarian design a bit drab, but I like the minimalist design
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline blighty

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 13:40:56 »
Sager NP7330 (i7-4800MQ, 16GB ram, 256GB mssd, 64GB mssd, 750GB hd, GTX765 2GB ram).  It does editing/encoding/gaming well enough.  It does get a bit loud when the fan kicks in though.  Runs flawlessly on Win8.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2013, 13:44:33 by blighty »
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 16:01:23 »
Sager NP7330 (i7-4800MQ, 16GB ram, 256GB mssd, 64GB mssd, 750GB hd, GTX765 2GB ram).  It does editing/encoding/gaming well enough.  It does get a bit loud when the fan kicks in though.  Runs flawlessly on Win8.

Crazy mobile power...  what's the cpu temp during encode.

Offline blighty

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 15:01:50 »
Show Image

86 degrees C seems to be the highest temp.  It would probably get a bit higher if I wasn't on a laptop cooler.  The so-call max temp for the cpu is 100, so it seems safe enough. With a minimum load, it's around 53.  The fan sounds aren't so bad for me, since I wear headphones most the time using it, but it's definitely not a classroom/library friendly set up.

LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 18:16:16 »
Show Image

86 degrees C seems to be the highest temp.  It would probably get a bit higher if I wasn't on a laptop cooler.  The so-call max temp for the cpu is 100, so it seems safe enough. With a minimum load, it's around 53.  The fan sounds aren't so bad for me, since I wear headphones most the time using it, but it's definitely not a classroom/library friendly set up.

Hmm... i guess all the oems are pushing these close to max temp.

Offline bear95

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 08:33:45 »
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-V7-482PG-6629-14-Inch-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/dp/B00F9VXQDI
Would prefer cheaper version with matte and no touch screen bit I think I might settle with this. Anybody recommend something else? Picked this for size, 750m, and 1080p at $950

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:15:36 »
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-V7-482PG-6629-14-Inch-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/dp/B00F9VXQDI
Would prefer cheaper version with matte and no touch screen bit I think I might settle with this. Anybody recommend something else? Picked this for size, 750m, and 1080p at $950

For that price I'd get a lenovo y410p.

Offline bear95

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 14:42:43 »

Heh... dat cpu and keyboard. But its a bit thicker than I want it to be.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:51:00 »

Heh... dat cpu and keyboard. But its a bit thicker than I want it to be.
Yeah, but it's not an Acer.
I stay well clear of Acer, Dell, Hp, Compaq, Emachines and Gateway... They simply do not hold up as well as Sony, Asus, Toshiba, Apple and higher end Lenovos.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:04:10 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline stancato9

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:54:13 »

^ Agreed. The Lenovo Y series sport a very attractive price for the high end specs you get.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline bear95

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:49:16 »
Heh... I guess everybody likes the lenovo

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 22:00:56 »
I had a Dell and it was pretty nice but just not as sleek as Id like. Moved to a macbook Pro non unibody and it was pretty decent. Then my newest is the last model with 17" Macbook pro 17" w i7 3.4ghz 8gb ram. Its a great laptop. I LOVE PCs for Desktop and I LOVE Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 w classic gnome but for mobile i have to have iPhone for the smooth operating system and the smooth body. Same goes for tablet, had the transformer prime, couldnt stand it. iPad MINI is where its at. For laptop, same thing, OSX pisses me off a lot but damn they make a great body, smooth keys case charging port screen, everything love them.  :thumb:

Last macbook pro:

Current macbook pro:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 23:27:02 »
I haven't had much luck with Toshibas...

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 23:45:23 »

Me neither, actually had 3 of them come through my hands in the last year from friends with a variety of different hardware issues. Can't in good conscience recommend them anymore.

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 01:25:08 »
Thinkpads for me.

Though with each iteration they seem to be driving away the 'purists' - with regard to the X240 and 8gb max - I remember the X series having T-series hardware, stuffed in as small of a package as possible. With thin LCD and keyboard bezels - everything was packed tightly, yet it still had powerful hardware (at a high price premium). Now it seems like it's just their smaller laptop line, nothing special.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 01:28:23 »
Actually got my Lenovo Edge E440 on Tuesday afternoon, very happy with it overall! Getting about 7 hours out of a charge and it seems very snappy even with a normal hard drive. Should scream along once I replace it with an SSD.

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 01:43:05 »
Actually got my Lenovo Edge E440 on Tuesday afternoon, very happy with it overall! Getting about 7 hours out of a charge and it seems very snappy even with a normal hard drive. Should scream along once I replace it with an SSD.

Very cool, hopefully you have better luck with it than your past machines! The sell of Thinkpads for me was their durability/reliability - tough as nails laptops that can really take a beating. Hopefully this spills over to the Edge line (I'm not familiar with it), though I should hope it does.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 03:53:23 »

Very cool, hopefully you have better luck with it than your past machines! The sell of Thinkpads for me was their durability/reliability - tough as nails laptops that can really take a beating. Hopefully this spills over to the Edge line (I'm not familiar with it), though I should hope it does.

No rollcage.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 05:45:28 »

No rollcage.

thinkpads don't really take a beating anymore.. they've made it lighter and thinner..

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 06:15:05 »
Yeah the Edge series definitely isn't as durable as the older models but I only paid $630 for a i3 4000m w/8GB RAM so I'm pretty happy. Should do the job for the next year or so as long as I take care of it.

One feature I love is the Onelink dock - one cable to the laptop for power, hdmi and USB3 means I can keep my desk a lot cleaner.

Offline csmith1991

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:53:21 »
I have an ASUS ux31a. Its one of the ultrabook laptops. I have zero qualms with the purchase, and when I need to take it to school it fits nicely on a desk.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 13:01:44 »
what's this I hear about a toshiba 22hr haswell

Offline Asininity

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 13:15:37 »
Lenovo Y470 and an old Toshiba I got for free. I have another hold HP and Dell I haven't touched in a year or two.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 14:56:40 »
Just got a 13" Retina MBP w/ 256ssd and 16gb mem from work for my secondary computer.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 15:31:27 »
Just got a 13" Retina MBP w/ 256ssd and 16gb mem from work for my secondary computer.

Nice man! Enjoy it! I love my 17"

Offline zemp

• FREE ITENS PLS
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 22:36:41 »
lenovo thinkpad with quadro graphics card. 16 gb ram i7 sandbridge.

Gaming Laptop : Lemovo Y510P SLI GT750M

Im hardcore lenovo

Offline ahmadmzak

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 05:46:00 »
I have a 15" acer with i7 2630QM, 4 GB Ram, and GT 540M. Can't really play games that well so most of the time I play emulations of snes and ps1.

Really hate laptops =/ But I have no choice since i'm a student.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 14:38:47 »
My aunt in law has a thinkpad and this girl at my tattoo shop has one too! They look nice :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 18:07:28 »
My aunt in law has a thinkpad and this girl at my tattoo shop has one too! They look nice :)

what?  what off wall references... LOL

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 19:58:44 »

what?  what off wall references... LOL

Hahaha yah :p

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 20:34:47 »

Me neither, actually had 3 of them come through my hands in the last year from friends with a variety of different hardware issues. Can't in good conscience recommend them anymore.
Mine is still going strong. After about 20 years only the battery is dead.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 21:11:37 »
Mine is going on it's 4th year and I see no reason to upgrade. Plus, I really like having ESATA for data recovery or drive imaging. I haven't seen many new laptops with ESATA.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 22:51:39 »
Mine is going on it's 4th year and I see no reason to upgrade. Plus, I really like having ESATA for data recovery or drive imaging. I haven't seen many new laptops with ESATA.

that's cuz esata sux... not ubiquitous, and support is minimal on the drive side..
AND enclosures often break specs... and you get corrupt writes..

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 23:09:23 »
Most data recovery software will not work (well) with USB, but is fine with SATA. Same thing with drive diagnostics. I've never had any problems with Linux/Unix and ESATA or the 2 different ESATA adatpters/cradles (not enclosures) that I have. I've been using them for years without one issue. As a matter of fact the ESATA drives have always been seen as just another drive plugged into the internal controller because it is.  USB is a different story.

...just like saying I'm a noob for posting my setup. Grow up, man.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 December 2013, 23:20:37 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 00:49:30 »
Mannnnnnnnn I want a Thinkpad w i7 so bad! Are they really that great? So tempting!!!!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 08:28:39 »
Mannnnnnnnn I want a Thinkpad w i7 so bad! Are they really that great? So tempting!!!!

not all i7s are great.. the ulv ones are slowwwwwwwwwww....

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 18:07:15 »

Oh really? sorry but which ones to look out for? is that a part number? dont know too much about processors just ghz

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 19:24:07 »

Oh really? sorry but which ones to look out for? is that a part number? dont know too much about processors just ghz

if it's labeled i3/i5/i7 and it 's less than 2.0ghz..  they suck..

They might even lie on the box and write something like 3ghz turbo or something...

regardless ulv processors are terribad...  They choke quite often.. even on firefox.

memory bandwidth is tied to freqency as well, which means, the computer as a whole is much less responsive.

throw in aggressive power gating and factory tuned EXTRA power save stuff..  ur stuck with a super sluggish, "ultrabook" as they call it.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 19:25:16 »

They might even lie on the box and write something like 3ghz turbo or something...

regardless ulv processors are terribad...  They choke quite often.. even on firefox.

memory bandwidth is tied to freqency as well, which means, the computer as a whole is much less responsive.

Oh ok cool! I don't look at anything under 3.4ghz

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 19:25:58 »

Also skip anything AMD CPU on mobile

nvidia and intel are better on power use relative to performance.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 19:50:22 »

Also skip anything AMD CPU on mobile

nvidia and intel are better on power use relative to performance.

Thanks!