Author Topic: Recommend me a good anime  (Read 27256 times)

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
Re: Recommend me a good anime
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 12:19:09 »
Try not to waste my time on random anime unless it's been recommended by a number of friends. Watched Attack on Titan, it's as good as others in here have suggested.

Currently watching Hunter X Hunter (2011) per others recommendations, seemed kiddy until people started dying

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 12:50:58 »
Well, I guess that creators of Inital-D just wanted to make a show about racing and also make it cool. Without drifting and fast and furious physics there wouldn't be much of bling to get out of this show.

You could also be mad at Code Geass, because the stature of the characters would only be possible with using exoskeletons, not good old spine, ribs and whatnot.

Code Geass doesn't need additional reasons to be mad at it.  It has Ledouche, the most annoying anime character ever conceived.

You're right. Which is why R2 is ranked 8 of all time. (Apologize to my profile picture T_T)

Clearly it is ranked 8 out of ? for best ?  in the category of ? by ? since Ledouch is so annoying. Makes perfect sense.

But.. you can't hate ledouche for saying things like, "why bother, when you know you'll lose.."..  because that is part of the tactic that he's using.. to psyche out his opponent...

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 13:16:32 »
Well, I guess that creators of Inital-D just wanted to make a show about racing and also make it cool. Without drifting and fast and furious physics there wouldn't be much of bling to get out of this show.

You could also be mad at Code Geass, because the stature of the characters would only be possible with using exoskeletons, not good old spine, ribs and whatnot.

Code Geass doesn't need additional reasons to be mad at it.  It has Ledouche, the most annoying anime character ever conceived.

You're right. Which is why R2 is ranked 8 of all time. (Apologize to my profile picture T_T)

Clearly it is ranked 8 out of ? for best ?  in the category of ? by ? since Ledouch is so annoying. Makes perfect sense.

It has the 8th highest rating of all anime on MAL by over 240k people who on average disagree with you.
QWERTY(104wpm) -> CarpalxQ(modded) -> Colemak(118wpm) -> Colemak-DH
Mouse less.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 14:01:19 »
Popularity alone proves nothing. In fact, awful pieces of media seem to be massively popular on a regular basis. There's almost an inverse correlation between popularity and quality like 80% of the time.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 14:06:03 »
Well, I think that Lelouche (or whatnot) is kind of badass. Since he is young a single handedly broke down the whole empire (not to mention he sacrificed himself) is kind of ball-tearing badassery.

All I was saying was, that to make the anime show look cool, is to make it unreal, not physics accurate. Like teen girls firing bolt action sniper rifles while standing, dressed only in school uniform. It is appealing, makes the show fun to look at but the nerd inside you screams in pain...

What we say in our country, when we see such scientific nonsence is: Don't bother, it's a fairytale ;)

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 16:47:19 »
Popularity alone proves nothing. In fact, awful pieces of media seem to be massively popular on a regular basis. There's almost an inverse correlation between popularity and quality like 80% of the time.

You're right. That's why there's a different section for popularity and rating... Not sure if this was a response to me. Quality is largely subjective, and ratings are a decent way to determine the perceived quality of something based on the input of thousands of people. "Baby" may have over 900 million views, but at 3 million dislikes, the majority of ratings are negative. Popularity does say something though; plenty of good songs, shows, etc. are popular (Code Geass R1 is ranked number 2 in popularity). Ratings and rating systems can be somewhat flawed (I don't think fmab should be rated so high; just my opinion), but they generally give you a good idea of quality (fmab is a pretty good quality anime).

Code Geass r1 and r2 are both in the top 15 for score and popularity for a reason :D
Mouse less.

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 16:50:47 »
I keep accidentally quoting myself instead of editing. -.- Sorry for the double post.

Well, I think that Lelouche (or whatnot) is kind of badass. Since he is young a single handedly broke down the whole empire (not to mention he sacrificed himself) is kind of ball-tearing badassery.

All I was saying was, that to make the anime show look cool, is to make it unreal, not physics accurate. Like teen girls firing bolt action sniper rifles while standing, dressed only in school uniform. It is appealing, makes the show fun to look at but the nerd inside you screams in pain...

What we say in our country, when we see such scientific nonsence is: Don't bother, it's a fairytale ;)

I agree. I can't think of any anime that is remotely realistic.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 November 2013, 16:52:44 by angelic_sedition »
Mouse less.

Offline thoere

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 16:15:57 »
Some of my favorites:
Kanon (2006)
Toradora
Clannad + Clannad: After Story
Angel Beats
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga ****ai
Mushishi
AnoHana

Offline divito

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 17:47:42 »
My favorites:

Evangelion
Samurai Champloo
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic
The Prince of Tennis
Initial D
Hajime No Ippo
Trigun

Also have and enjoy:

Kenichi
Ouran Host Club
Nodame Cantabile
KIBA (is okay)

Anyone that hasn't seen the above should have a go at some of these.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 November 2013, 22:22:35 by divito »
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 22:21:39 »
My favorites:

Evangelion
Samurai Champloo
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic
The Prince of Tennis
Initial D
Hajime No Ippo
Trigun

Also have and enjoy:

Kenichi
Nodame Cantabile
KIBA (is okay)

Anyone that hasn't seen the above should have a go at some of these.

I think I must've missed something in samurai champloo.. i didn't think it was that great when i saw it...

But it's come up on here so many times.. I guess I gotta rewatch..

Offline divito

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 22:25:27 »
I think I must've missed something in samurai champloo.. i didn't think it was that great when i saw it...

But it's come up on here so many times.. I guess I gotta rewatch..

The art style isn't for some, and I'm not particularly fond of it; it's also somewhat dry and slowly paced in parts. The writing content, comedy and fight scenes kind of put it up there for me, but it obviously won't be for some.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 04:09:49 »
caught up on kill la kill... this stuff is crazy... it's a mash up anime with all the winning functions of other animes randomly sprinkled..

Offline Asininity

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 19:52:35 »
It's been suggested multiple times but Attack on Titan is really good. I've also been watching Planetes.

Offline hexomega

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 12:16:18 »
Planetes is god-tier in terms of anime. Really, really well done. East of the Eden is another good one.

Attack on Titan was overrated. It isn't bad, but it falls apart if you actually start thinking and stop allowing yourself to fall prey to its manipulative and cheap-trick storytelling.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 12:33:15 »
Lucky Star! *braces for hate*
Slam Dunk - Still prob my #1 fav Anime/Manga series.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2013, 12:34:50 by projectD »

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 14:32:16 »
Attack on Titan was overrated. It isn't bad, but it falls apart if you actually start thinking and stop allowing yourself to fall prey to its manipulative and cheap-trick storytelling.
Care to explain? And have you read the manga?

I actual saw a really ba looking guy today with a Lucky Star Satchel. Lucky Star is for real men I guess.

I'd also recommend Kuroko no Basket. I really have no interest in sports whatsoever, but I'm about half way through this anime and love it.

Mouse less.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 15:42:58 »

I actual saw a really ba looking guy today with a Lucky Star Satchel. Lucky Star is for real men I guess.

I'd also recommend Kuroko no Basket. I really have no interest in sports whatsoever, but I'm about half way through this anime and love it.

watch slam dunk, so much better than kuroko imo.
Then again, kuroko's more fast paced with the actual games, slam dunk has more of a fleshed out story.
I personally don't watch kuroko, i just read the mangas.

Offline catbuster

• Fusion is Future
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:05:33 »
I watched over 300 different animes, so i can recommend u something if u post what anime u liked :D
Poker 2 (black) 60% mx red

Offline good121

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 02:50:55 »
i like the anime like detective conan and ghost hunt i thought those were pretty nice.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 13:23:44 »
I watched over 300 different animes, so i can recommend u something if u post what anime u liked :D

Ghost in the Shell. I haven't found anything in that caliber. Suggestions?

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 13:30:56 »
Full Metal Alchemist. I've watched a lot and it's easily one of the best. The Ghost in the shell series are great as well.

Offline catbuster

• Fusion is Future
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 13:45:32 »

The ones who come to mind right now:

Ergo proxy
Psyho pass
Darker than black
Poker 2 (black) 60% mx red

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 14:47:35 »

I assume you've seen the original movie, the 2nd movie  Innocence, GITS: SAC 1&2, GITS SAC SSS, and the newest one that just came out this year GITS Arise Eps 1 which is like a reboot.

that more mature feel?
Or the sci-fi feel?
Or the "half the eps are just stand alone stories and don't tie in chronologically with the story" feel? lol

Oldie but a goodie is Trigun
Appleseed from Masamune Shirow (creator of GITS)
Cowboy Beebop is good too.
Ergo proxy - dark mature anime

others i'd recommend that aren't that type of flavor but still good imo are
Trinity Blood
Chrno Crusade
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (skip the 1st FMA, its meh)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 17:14:29 »
I'm also a big fan of more 'serious' anime. I would recommend - Armitage III, Megazone23, Perfect Blue, Jin-Roh... since I don't think they were mentioned already. Also they aren't long series which can be a nice thing. I've also been kind of into the Bubblegum Crisis universe of stuff (A.D. Police, Parasite Dolls) lately. Some other older ones that might be interesting... Fist of the North Star, Wolf's Rain, Angel Cop, Silent Möbius, Venus Wars, Roujin-Z.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 November 2013, 17:17:20 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 06:22:21 »

what is a "ba looking"

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 01:03:05 »
Photon is a small 6 part show, but it was well written and is very funny.

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 16:41:53 »
Watched the 30 first episodes of FMA: Brotherhood this weekend, really glad I did since I like this a lot more than FMA for some reason.
A long time ago I watched 10-15 episodes of FMA and I didn't really get into it like I have with other good animes.
Maybe something to do with me getting older and my taste in anime chaning, I do not know.
Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for mentioning Brotherhood^^
Ducky Mini w/ white LEDs [Browns]

WTB SLUSHY RED CC/BROBOT!!
Got 3D and Hack Orange for trade, both MX.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 17:59:39 »

what is a "ba looking"

bad ass prob

Offline Minion

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 10:43:04 »
I liked guilty crown ^.^

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 12:44:52 »
I just watched the Sword Art Online and guys, it is really epic and there were very feely moments in this. I would really recommend to watch. It is kind of light, but there is drama and all and all, it is fun.

Now I'm going to watch Valvrave ;)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 13:16:37 »
I just watched the Sword Art Online and guys, it is really epic and there were very feely moments in this. I would really recommend to watch. It is kind of light, but there is drama and all and all, it is fun.

First section made sense.. then the second part.. UGh........................... blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............................murrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh...........................

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 13:58:33 »

I assume you've seen the original movie, the 2nd movie  Innocence, GITS: SAC 1&2, GITS SAC SSS, and the newest one that just came out this year GITS Arise Eps 1 which is like a reboot.

that more mature feel?
Or the sci-fi feel?
Or the "half the eps are just stand alone stories and don't tie in chronologically with the story" feel? lol

Trinity Blood
Chrno Crusade

Thanks for Ergo Proxy, LOVE the art-style and it's quite unique compared to what I have been watching before
Ducky Mini w/ white LEDs [Browns]

WTB SLUSHY RED CC/BROBOT!!
Got 3D and Hack Orange for trade, both MX.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 15:32:21 »

First section made sense.. then the second part.. UGh........................... blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............................murrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh...........................

Well, I really loved the first part. The second part was kind of meh, but it made sense. This anime found it's place on my backup harddrive. I will definitely watch it again ;)

God, I even shed a tear or two...

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 15:38:06 »

that more mature feel?
Or the sci-fi feel?

Trinity Blood
Chrno Crusade

Thanks for Ergo Proxy, LOVE the art-style and it's quite unique compared to what I have been watching before

I saw the trailer. Ergo proxy is next on the list. I love this forum. Much more better than anime forums. No hate, just experience. I wrote this post on pbt blanks I bought form one of you. ¨¨

Thank you all.

Offline suby4me

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 21:28:32 »
The ones that I can remember off the top of my head:

Comedy:
Nyan Koi
Tenchi Muyo
Tenhi Muyo GXP
Ranma
Great Teacher Onizuka

Mecha:
Gundam 0079 (original gundam, first ever gundam made in the universe that started it all)
Gundam 0083
Gundam Formula 91
Turn A Gundam (interesting universe)

Martin Successor Nadeshiko
Kikaider
Dual: Parallel
Rahxephon

Action:
Shadow Skill
Bakuretsu Hunters (Witch Hunters)
Tokyo Underground
Trigun
Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari
This sad, Yet beautiful world (or this sad, yet ugly world. cant' remember the title)
gatekeepers
scryed

Drama:
Infinite Ryvius
current: poker 2 | HHKB pro2, Novatouch | off: das keyboard 4 | Ducky 3 TKL | death by coffee das keyboard mac ver. | razer blackwidow | whitefox | corsair K70 RGB

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 23:03:26 »
I love lists like this. There's been some great stuff recommended so far. I recognize some of it, and I'm looking forward to checking out the stuff that I don't. I thought I'd throw in a couple more names.

Eureka Seven
Scrapped Princess

Offline Canious

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 05:29:51 »
Hajime No Ippo, do it.

Offline balanar

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 06:27:00 »
Dunno how many here would like it but I watched Clannad & Clannad Afterstory and really liked them. It was a marked change from the previous animes like Code Geass, Bleach, Vandread and Naruto which I'd watched.

Edit: Getting ready to watch Evangelion tonight and Attack on Titan will be next after that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 December 2013, 06:28:49 by balanar »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 12:23:18 »
Started Attack on Titan last week, I'm enjoying it quite a lot.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 12:27:01 »
I just watched some episodes unbreakable machine girl...

Standard fan service stuff.. well done for the most part with respect to this "genre"..

What was more interesting to me is the concept of dolls.

Is a sufficiently complex doll that can reproduce (in some form), a life, a human?

I suppose this goes for Data from TNG as well.

Offline suby4me

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 13:53:07 »

Standard fan service stuff.. well done for the most part with respect to this "genre"..

Is a sufficiently complex doll that can reproduce (in some form), a life, a human?

maybe a hybrid? reminds me of armitage, where she had the ability to have kids. she did have a daughter and she seemed to age like a normal human.
also reminds me of that video game, binary domain.
current: poker 2 | HHKB pro2, Novatouch | off: das keyboard 4 | Ducky 3 TKL | death by coffee das keyboard mac ver. | razer blackwidow | whitefox | corsair K70 RGB

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 14:04:17 »

maybe a hybrid? reminds me of armitage, where she had the ability to have kids. she did have a daughter and she seemed to age like a normal human.
also reminds me of that video game, binary domain.

it would seem that all our conscious definitions can only ever be approximations.. And in that way it will always be behind reality until we merge completely with the universe to achieve singularity..

Offline w3djyt

« Reply #142 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 14:07:37 »
If you like shounen (Naruto & Bleach) you owe it to yourself to pick up Yu Yu Hakushou. It pretty much defined the genre and you'll see a lot of influence from it in both series. (YYH more primarily to Bleach - Hunter x Hunter is more the primary source of Naruto. YYH and HxH are by the same mangaka and HxH was recently remade if you have a thing for newer animation styles, it is absolutely worth it as well).

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #143 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 20:34:26 »
Dunno how many here would like it but I watched Clannad & Clannad Afterstory and really liked them. It was a marked change from the previous animes like Code Geass, Bleach, Vandread and Naruto which I'd watched.

Edit: Getting ready to watch Evangelion tonight and Attack on Titan will be next after that.
If you enjoyed Evangelion you might enjoy watching RahXephon. To me they are somewhat similar in one distinct way.

Also you might like Air and Kanon. I have not seen Clannad but Clannad after story and Clannad the movie. Clannad after story is quite saddening even though I don't know much of the story behind Clannad itself.

Code Geass makes me think of Gundam being somewhat similar, notably Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny. Vandread is very nice and somewhat similar (mech. theme) to Code Geass and Gundam series but of a completely different plot.

Naruto and Bleach are somewhat alike, I guess the only other suggestion that I may add is Fairy Tail. Also Inuyasha and maybe One Piece.

that more mature feel?
Or the sci-fi feel?

Trinity Blood
Chrno Crusade

I saw the trailer. Ergo proxy is next on the list. I love this forum. Much more better than anime forums. No hate, just experience. I wrote this post on pbt blanks I bought form one of you. ¨¨

Thank you all.
You might also like (in no particular order whatsoever):
  • Monster
  • Gankutsuou
  • Death Note
  • Serial Experiments Lain
  • Texhnolyze

Well, I really loved the first part. The second part was kind of meh, but it made sense. This anime found it's place on my backup harddrive. I will definitely watch it again ;)

God, I even shed a tear or two...

For quite sometime I thought Sword Art Online was just an actual MMORPG game and not an anime based on the game itself (based on seeing an advertisement banner on some tracker site). When I decided to give the name a bit of twirl with google I found out to my disbelief it was anime. The anime was really nice but it needs polishing in my opinion, threre's just too much "time warping" factors.

If you like Sword Art Online you might also like Accel World which somewhat has similar themes here and there.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 20:38:45 »
I'll also recommend log horizon to anyone who enjoyed sao as an anime with a similar premise.
Mouse less.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #145 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 21:52:15 »
...... Mizugi Kanojo is pretty good  ;)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #146 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 21:55:20 »
I like a bit more mature animes, and full metal alchemist just lost my interest after 10-15ish episodes.
Brotherhood any better in that regard?

Might aswell add Afro Samurai to the list I recommend aswell, just due to the art and the fighting.
Um art and fighting? Yes those are great parts of Afro Samurai and do well on their own, but the BEST feature of the anime is SAMUEL FREAKING JACKSON!

The RZA

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 22:57:02 »
I thought "excalibur" from soul eater was more annoying.

Maybe I was in a bad mood that day, but I didn't like the "ghost in the shell" movie.

Ones I have liked that I didn't see listed here:

Angel Beats : one of my favourites, though it does move a little fast.
Haibane Renmei : This one was great for how it made me think and feel while watching it. I am given to introspection naturally though.
Mononoke : (not princess mononoke, the film) It's all about Japanese folklore and stuff, and I really enjoyed it.
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 : realistic story of some children in an earthquake.
Spice and Wolf : main focus is on economics and commerce. Because of this, it was really good!

Most of the other ones I've liked, I'm not sure if I'd recommend, as they are primarily just good ones in a genre I prefer. The above are all good though.

Offline cantus

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 21:44:50 »
Monogatari series is very interesting! Has a hate it or love it art style though tbh
Aria the Animation and the rest of the series were fantastic, great just to watch and relax to.
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is a must watch. It. Has. Everything.
Both Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop were great.
Psycho Pass and Ghost in the Shell are great philosophical/thought provoking shows as well.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 01:05:12 »
Monogatari series is very interesting! Has a hate it or love it art style though tbh
Aria the Animation and the rest of the series were fantastic, great just to watch and relax to.
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is a must watch. It. Has. Everything.
Both Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop were great.
Psycho Pass and Ghost in the Shell are great philosophical/thought provoking shows as well.

I watched ghost several times, and it's actually "not that deep"..   essentially simply adapting the constitution of mind vs body arguments towards our computer age. 

But this is the same basic question on "doubt" and meaning of "existence".