Author Topic: return filco?  (Read 3558 times)

Offline lolkey

return filco?
« on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 10:30:43 »
just got a new filco and it's making this weird noise on the majority of the keys when the key is released -

(max your volume in sound cloud, windows, browser -- or you won't hear it, my microphone sucks and has a very low receiving volume. if you have headphones or earbuds use them, as it's easier to hear with with them)
https://soundcloud.com/lolkeys/filco-2-tkl-brw

it's driving me nuts and you can really hear it when you start typing really fast. what should i do, return it?
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 December 2013, 10:35:12 by lolkey »
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: return filco?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 10:42:30 »
Actually can't really hear it, but if you're talking about a sound of recoil/metallic resonance (known as "ping" here), it's very easy to fix.  Place some dampening material under the PCB.  A popular choice is some cheap rubber-foam drawer liner, like this:

It comes in many colors and also thin varieties that you could add a double layer of (single layer for the one shown above).  Cut to size of the bottom tray, cut some areas out that will go around plastic protrusions where the USB cord channel is, etc.  Place into the bottom tray, reassemble the keyboard.  Yes, it will void your warranty, but it will make your keyboard overall noticeably quieter--this goes for all other brands of keyboards of this design.

Example in a full-sized Filco:

« Last Edit: Sun, 22 December 2013, 10:45:26 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline lolkey

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 11:58:56 »
Wouldn't putting a thick cloth underneath the keyboard simulate the same thing? Is that rubber layer a know fix  for "ping"? And yes, it's hard to hear it on the sound file. I can't hear it through regular speakers, I have to useheadphones to hear it, my mic is ****.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 12:01:41 »
There are no known fixes for ping simpler than this one.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 12:08:02 »
Ping is generally heard by n0vices.

Because they're still in the phase where the totally give a h00t..

Once you start to actually USE the keyboard... all the ping melts away... because you're NOT listening for it... you're playing a game, or writing an email, or on GH planning your next purchase.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 12:09:20 »
No, it wouldn't.  The ping is audible because there's a cavity under the PCB filled with air where sound waves can travel and reverberate.  By filling the cavity with something porous that inhibits free sound wave propagation dampens resonant noise within the keyboard.  You can put something under your keyboard too which will help further, but not as much as putting something under the PCB.  A mat on your desk would mostly just help with punching your keycaps reverberating through your desk.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 12:10:18 »
The other option is to remove and reseat the springs. But since the Filco is plate mounted and the plate does not have cutouts there is no easy way to open the switch tops without unsoldering the switches. The rubber mat will remove some of the reverberation. This really isn't a Filco issue, it's more of a common thing with some MX swithes.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 12:13:35 »
No, it wouldn't.  The ping is audible because there's a cavity under the PCB filled with air where sound waves can travel and reverberate.  By filling the cavity with something porous that inhibits free sound wave propagation dampens resonant noise within the keyboard.  You can put something under your keyboard too which will help further, but not as much as putting something under the PCB.  A mat on your desk would mostly just help with punching your keycaps reverberating through your desk.

I have severe ping in my enter key.......  it doesn't bother me.

Also, I've tried all the dampening tricks.. etc..  doesn't fix all ping issues..

Sure I agree dampening would reduce reverberation.. But.. I think the effect is very miniscule compared to say a replacement spring..

and returning the filco for replacement, or another mx board, does not guarantee that you won't have some ping on the new board...

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 12:28:21 »
Isn't that just the noise from the keys popping back up?  A ping is a ringing noise caused by vibration of the springs and sounds completely different from the second click in the audio clip.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 12:36:16 »
Isn't that just the noise from the keys popping back up?  A ping is a ringing noise caused by vibration of the springs and sounds completely different from the second click in the audio clip.

No if you make it REALLY loud, you can hear the ping...

it's very dim compared to the clicks themselves..

lolkey, this is the new keyboard phenomena (what did ripster call it) mcrip effect or something? 

Where n0vice users over analyze and get hung up about the new toy they just got...

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 12:45:13 »
I believe just reseating the springs helped. I'd probably put a little strain on the spring if it was still loose.

Offline lilky

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 13:39:08 »
Most mechanical keyboards do this, you'll get used to it. Welcome to the mechanical keyboard club!

Also, your name is eerily similar to mine...

Offline lolkey

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 13:58:21 »
Thanks for all the information.

Can the ping noise also be affected by the keycaps at all? The stock keys are really thin, would something like a set of PBT thick keycaps help dampen the sound?

Offline lilky

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 18:14:05 »
Yes it definitely changes HUGELY depending on the keycap material. Also, you could install o-rings if you want to get rid of the ping.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 19:56:25 »
Yes it definitely changes HUGELY depending on the keycap material. Also, you could install o-rings if you want to get rid of the ping.

Ive got 40AL orings on mine and it still pings

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 20:17:05 »
Thanks for all the information.

Can the ping noise also be affected by the keycaps at all? The stock keys are really thin, would something like a set of PBT thick keycaps help dampen the sound?

The "ping" is internal--it won't be helped by keycaps.  But placing a liner like one I linked will help.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 23:38:03 »
Vibrations travel from the keystroke through the keyboard and into the springs.  If the vibration is just right, it will cause the spring to vibrate as well, which rings similarly to a bell.  If you can dampen the plate, it will absorb some of the vibration.

Offline Tony

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 00:57:55 »
With so many metallic springs, your Filco certainly is noisier than any rubber dome you had previously. So learn to live with that, or you may get a good headphone.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 01:08:01 »
Actually can't really hear it, but if you're talking about a sound of recoil/metallic resonance (known as "ping" here), it's very easy to fix.  Place some dampening material under the PCB.  A popular choice is some cheap rubber-foam drawer liner, like this:

Show Image

It comes in many colors and also thin varieties that you could add a double layer of (single layer for the one shown above).  Cut to size of the bottom tray, cut some areas out that will go around plastic protrusions where the USB cord channel is, etc.  Place into the bottom tray, reassemble the keyboard.  Yes, it will void your warranty, but it will make your keyboard overall noticeably quieter--this goes for all other brands of keyboards of this design.

Show Image

also

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52677.0

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 01:22:29 »

Show Image

Show Image

This leaves an ugly mark on the bottom of the keyboard after some time

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 01:51:08 »

Show Image

Show Image

This leaves an ugly mark on the bottom of the keyboard after some time

?  It goes inside the keyboard where you can't see it.  What mark...