Author Topic: What do you dislike about geekhack?  (Read 21690 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: What do you dislike about geekhack?
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:01:54 »

I dislike it when a seller adds new items for sale to an old FS-thread. If you have new stuff, create a NEW thread for frak's sake!
I will not visit an old thread with items that I already know that I don't want to buy, but I don't want to miss your new items for sale.

Add to the same thread. Update the title. Bump the thread. I think that's better than new threads. IMO
Not better. Just easier for the poster ... only because the poster is lazy.
For a prospective buyer, it is more difficult to see what is for sale .. and that also lessens the chances for the seller to get his stuff sold.

Sometimes you can see an old re-re-reused FS-thread that has all its original items edited away from the first post, with new items added have several pages of post that are not relevant to the first post at all, just taking up space, being a burden on the board and on the users that try to find out what in the thread that is new.

Totally agree, it's lazy, and a bad way to sell.

TBH, I don't even like the "clearing out" threads where you have to look inside to see what's for sale - if you can't fit the item(s) in the thread title, use more threads!

On balance, I think it's better to have more threads that can be easily assessed by their title, than fewer threads that can't.

Classifieds threads should focus on the items, not the seller.

Problem with that is people bumping multiple threads at the same time.

Also, photo needs to chill on the over moderating.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:04:08 »

USER HAS BEEN WARNED FOR THIS POST

hhhehehehe

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:22:04 »

USER HAS BEEN WARNED FOR THIS POST

hhhehehehe
I regret nothing!

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:28:09 »
TBH, I don't even like the "clearing out" threads where you have to look inside to see what's for sale - if you can't fit the item(s) in the thread title, use more threads!

On balance, I think it's better to have more threads that can be easily assessed by their title, than fewer threads that can't.

Classifieds threads should focus on the items, not the seller.

That's a different problem. And a much smaller one, IMO.

Note... I'm not saying "one item per thread"... for exactly that reason!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:31:21 »

Actually you'd be surprised how many people report posts, including the people you maybe wouldn't expect to be reporting posts.  I don't moderate stuff that doesn't need it.  Are you basically telling me to not be a mod while I mod? :D
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:33:20 »
Almost every thread I've entered there is an edit by you. Other mods are more relaxed.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:35:38 »

Actually you'd be surprised how many people report posts, including the people you maybe wouldn't expect to be reporting posts.  I don't moderate stuff that doesn't need it.  Are you basically telling me to not be a mod while I mod? :D

demik's just jealous he isn't a mod :P

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:36:20 »
Almost every thread I've entered there is an edit by you. Other mods are more relaxed.

Other mods have been on vacations :)  You want this site to be filled with personal insults to everyone?  You're in a minority then.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:41:26 »

Other mods have been on vacations :)  You want this site to be filled with personal insults to everyone?  You're in a minority then.

Whoa whoa whoa. I make a professional Mexican thread and you want to call me a minority now? Modzi!

Jk dont edit my post

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:44:31 »
Don't say anything worth editing!

Offline iri

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:49:18 »
users complaining about a moderator actually doing a moderator's job
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:50:30 »
Don't say anything worth editing!

We'll see about that.

For the record I'm joking. It's that the other mods don't do a damn thing it's weird seeing one that does.

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 20:12:37 »
First, I'll start with what I like about GH:

1. Its about 10% useful information, another 5% nostalgia

What I don't like:

2. heaps of e-peen

3. obsession with 'clacks' and related crap make the board feel like an AD&D gathering

4. endless circular debates about finding keycap/board materials to make cheap Cherry switches feel perfect ( a lost cause)

5. can't take a thread off the watch list once you've replied to it
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 20:27:11 »

You can.  There's an 'unwatch' option.

Also, some of us like Cherry switches as they are, negatives and all.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 20:31:53 »
Not being able to report posts :'(

But seriously, please add the option to make polls back. Makes some threads cleaner as everybody isn't commenting their answers,

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 21:24:06 »

But seriously, please add the option to make polls back. Makes some threads cleaner as everybody isn't commenting their answers,

??

it says report to moderator right under every post.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 21:27:50 »
First, I'll start with what I like about GH:

1. Its about 10% useful information, another 5% nostalgia

What I don't like:

2. heaps of e-peen

3. obsession with 'clacks' and related crap make the board feel like an AD&D gathering

4. endless circular debates about finding keycap/board materials to make cheap Cherry switches feel perfect ( a lost cause)

Subscribe to TP4,, 900100% useful information..

As far as the discussions on switches.. the differences are mostly irrelevant.. as long as the switch preserves 2mm actuation.. they all work the same in the end..

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 21:29:55 »

??

Post report timeout :'( Its been weeks :'( :'(

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 21:35:46 »

??

Maybe you should stop reporting people and canceling bids and expressing your belief that poor children should work for their food, unlike yourself.
Or you could do all of the above. Probably why you have a post-reporting timeout.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 21:38:37 »

??

Maybe you should stop reporting people and canceling bids and expressing your belief that poor children should work for their food, unlike yourself.
Or you could do all of the above. Probably why you have a post-reporting timeout.

naw. the post report is for something else

if cancelling bids is wrong then a **** ton of gh is wrong too

i do work for all my ****, don't go around giving personal attacks if you don't know someone in person

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 21:40:20 »
i do work for all my ****, don't go around giving personal attacks if you don't know someone in person
I am currently 16, a sophmore in high school.
I'm a self made entrepreneur, selling a sh*t ton of stuff on ebay since 5th grade

checks out!

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 00:26:42 »
Groupbuys...

I've never been swindled out my money like I have from the groupbuys here.

1) Prof's Phantom GB

2) Kboardvintage BSP GB

3) Team Redline DSA Dolch - Taking forever and a day...but I think this one will work out eventually.

In reality it is not the groupbuy, but there are some real shady people in GH.

Have you tried PM'ing Prof recently, you might have a pretty good chance of getting your parts, however services are a hit and miss.

GG on the BSP, and like SpAm said, you might can get a refund for the Dolch.

I've tried many times to contact the Prof through PMs. He has not returned any in a long time. I don't think he cares anymore at this point. The Dolch GB I figured I could get a refund but I put it in there since it still pending.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 02:52:38 »
I am currently 16, a sophmore in high school.
I'm a self made entrepreneur, selling a sh*t ton of stuff on ebay since 5th grade

checks out!

pacifist is legit as far as 16yr olds go... I don't understand all the hostility

Offline Blusey

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 02:54:22 »
I think the only thing I hate, is that slow climb to 60 posts for the Classifieds thread. I guess the reason I hate it is purely because I don't want to spam or post useless crap so I'm stuck only commenting/posting when it's actually useful or a genuine comment :P so it's taking its time! :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 02:57:33 »
I think the only thing I hate, is that slow climb to 60 posts for the Classifieds thread. I guess the reason I hate it is purely because I don't want to spam or post useless crap so I'm stuck only commenting/posting when it's actually useful or a genuine comment :P so it's taking its time! :D

With the number of shady sellers around here recently, you'd want to get in 60 valid constructive posts so that people get a feel for your character.  There is likely to be some suspicion of low-post members trying to sell stuff after a few recent bad experiences.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Blusey

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 02:59:18 »

With the number of shady sellers around here recently, you'd want to get in 60 valid constructive posts so that people get a feel for your character.  There is likely to be some suspicion of low-post members trying to sell stuff after a few recent bad experiences.
Yeah I get what you mean, I'm lucky in a sense I've already bought 3 things on here, and hopefully those people will have nice things to say about me as I do have quite long discussions/chats in PM's. I think some of the nicest GHers I've met so far have been potential trades etc. Heck I have another 2 I have to buy sets from "PointyFox" and another key seller for their awesome customs :P but yeah. I'll get there eventually. Probably in a week or two haha!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #176 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 03:10:29 »

give me ur account information... I can have you up to 100 by the end of the day.. with legit posts, not spam...

Offline Blusey

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 03:12:42 »

give me ur account information... I can have you up to 100 by the end of the day.. with legit posts, not spam...
Show Image

Haha sounds nice but as Rowdy said, with me aiming to be in Classifieds, it's probably better my posts have a genuineness for people to get to know me :P, heck I need to get round to doing a new members post and tell everyone how I come from an e-Sports background and found this website through a fellow gamer at LAN :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 03:33:28 »

There's a money making idea! :P

Also, I think I'm going to have to add someone to my ignore list but it doesn't work for tapatalk....so sad....
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 January 2014, 04:20:56 by SpAmRaY »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 04:27:19 »

Also, I think I'm going to have to add someone to my ignore list but it doesn't work for tapatalk....so sad....

As long as you like Ergo Dox ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 04:40:37 »

As long as you like Ergo Dox ;)

Everyone loves Egdx... they just don't know it yet...   

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 04:43:13 »
I do want to try an ergodox someday.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 07:41:39 »

Show Image

Legit posts?!?  That would be a change. :P

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 10:27:47 »
I do want to try an ergodox someday.

Same here. Looks interesting.

Offline iri

« Reply #185 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 15:32:28 »

too bad that it doesn't work for the "new replies to your posts" section.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 15:40:11 »

Does for me :3
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #187 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 15:41:34 »

The bane of my happiness on this site.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 16:01:16 »
Just use the 'watched' section instead?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 07:42:15 »
That demik is banned

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #190 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 07:53:28 »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 08:04:28 »
Good bye demike! :'(
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #193 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 09:37:29 »
 :)) smart i don't think so,I cheated :))
remove avatar,hhkb elitist change to banned :))
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:51:30 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 09:44:20 »
:)) smart i don't think so,I fooled :))
remove avatar,hhkb elitist change to banned :))

Never! I'll always be hhkb elitist.