Author Topic: Suggest to me a keyboard?  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Springfox

• Springfox Software and Design
Suggest to me a keyboard?
« on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 07:53:11 »
Hi, I'm hoping I'm putting this in the right section

I love keyboards and have been through quite a few in the last few months, these include, Kinesis Advantage, Kinesis Freestyle 2, Sculpt Ergonomic, KBTPure, KBTPro and finally, what I'm on now, my Das Keyboard Ultimate.

I'm now after something with a far smaller form factor but that has the functionality I need, these include:

Must have separate Function keys (not fn + 1 for f1 for example)
Must have both delete and backspace
Media keys are optional

UK layout is preferred

I have been looking at the Noppoo Choc Mini 84 and quite like the layout, though for some reason to me it looks a bit ugly.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Re: Suggest to me a keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 08:36:23 »
I agree that the 75% boards are a bit ugly. If you don't like the aesthetic of those, the next size up is tenkeyless. Is that too large for you?

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 08:42:33 »
Welcome to GH forums!

I was thinking of Keycool 84 but it looks identical to Noppo Choc 84 and you said the keyboard looks a bit ugly.

There is SiiG Minitouch but to find one with ISO layout maybe a bit of a pain. The form factor is slightly bigger than modern counterparts of what defines as 60% however for it's day and age it is still relatively compact and maybe more abundant (compared to say kishsavers for instance or even those rare ones that has dedicated Function keys, not sure if the same keyboard would have both backspace and delete keys as well).

Here is the link to an old thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=11900.msg229323#msg229323

Looks like it is known as Ortek MCK-84 not SiiG Minitouch. SiiG Minitouch as big-ass enter key for instance.

Here are some updates:

• KMAC Mini - Korean custom. Missing F11, F12 and Del keys but I guess one could rebind them.
  • LZ-MX - Another Korean custom. You can see that sort of layout inspired the ideas that are similar to the ones you said looks a bit ugly.
  • "ACNOR keyboard" - It has most of the keys except for missing Del key. Again maybe key rebinding might be possible. This is just a wikipedia link, there are other layouts available I guess
As if to prove my point on IBM having small keyboards with function keys (similar to kishsaver) I found something relatively similar. (Though I swear I saw something smaller than that and it still boasts function keys.):
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 January 2014, 18:38:35 by tuxsavvy »
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline derek8

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 15:47:29 »
I agree that the 75% boards are a bit ugly. If you don't like the aesthetic of those, the next size up is tenkeyless. Is that too large for you? You could also try other websites that carry it.

The new ones are a bit ugly, lol.  I love the tenkeyless though. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2014, 13:30:11 by derek8 »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 20:53:02 »
If you do like TKL, you're in luck; a TKL will have zero compatibility issues with full-size keycaps and things. A huge variety of TKL keyboards are available.
Going smaller, however, finding a dedicated function layer would either necessitate a special sort of mini keyboard (think of the LZ-Mini) or like what you were talking about, 84-keys. The Keycool 84 is available in many options, I believe with PBT and/or backlight as well, you might enjoy that.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 01:06:56 »
Realforce 87UB

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 02:11:44 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

These guys sell keyboards in the UK: http://www.keyboardco.com/

Also here: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-cm-storm-quickfire-rapid-mechanical-cherry-brown-mx-gaming-keyboard-usb

You might find something that catches your eye there.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline catbuster

• Fusion is Future
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 09:18:51 »
Keycool 84  ;)
Poker 2 (black) 60% mx red

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 03:54:32 »
Keycool 84 with white color is PBT.  Backlit keycool 84 is also in the market.
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 03:58:28 »
Keycool 84, with nice key caps anything is not soo ugly