Author Topic: Help choosing external HDD  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Help choosing external HDD
« on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 16:10:03 »
My 1tb in my rig is getting quite full and I am ready to get an external 2tb drive to perform backups and store data.  My question is what drive to pick?  I am on a budget and would like to stick around $80.  I was looking at the WD My book 2tb (found one open box at Fry's for $84) and a Seagate Expansion 2tb which is on a 24 hr. Mystery deal on Newegg and I can get pricematched at Fry's.  One other option is the Buffalo 2tb Drive station whick is $85 on Amazon.

Let me know what you guys think.

I would also use this to back up my wifes laptop.  Portability is not a concern to me as it will sit in a drawer between backups. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Help choosing external HDD
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 16:16:47 »
Have you seen this thread?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53656.0

Lots of info in there.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 16:20:34 »
My 1tb in my rig is getting quite full and I am ready to get an external 2tb drive to perform backups and store data.  My question is what drive to pick?  I am on a budget and would like to stick around $80.  I was looking at the WD My book 2tb (found one open box at Fry's for $84) and a Seagate Expansion 2tb which is on a 24 hr. Mystery deal on Newegg and I can get pricematched at Fry's.  One other option is the Buffalo 2tb Drive station whick is $85 on Amazon.

Let me know what you guys think.

I would also use this to back up my wifes laptop.  Portability is not a concern to me as it will sit in a drawer between backups.

Hey I just had the same dalema myself..  My WD 1TB fried and it was garbage. Lost it all.. (2nd one now) So I decided ok Im going to get a Seagate or Hitachi.
But then I figured well I would rather have reliability then unnecessary space.  So gave into an SSD from OWC.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MSU3SSD240GB/

But they also have Hitachi drives for less..

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MSU37T1.0T16/

I have 2 SeaGate internals in my computer and my wifes and they all work good. Just be sure to choose a good enclosure that will keep it cool and shock proof. The owc ones are fantastic for both of those things.

EDIT:

Have you seen this thread?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53656.0

Lots of info in there.

yeah thats my thread! See, I was in the same predicament.. hehe If you need HD space and not SSD then make sure you choose a good enclosure and a good brand. :)

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 16:50:18 »
to perform backups and store data

Don't use a single external drive for storage unless you don't mind loosing all of your data! If you need more space go ahead and get an external drive or internal drive, but make sure you get an additional drive large enough to back up all of your data to. Your drives will fail, either logically or physically. It could be in a day or two or 4 years from now, but it will happen.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 January 2014, 16:55:54 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 17:45:48 »
to perform backups and store data

Don't use a single external drive for storage unless you don't mind loosing all of your data! If you need more space go ahead and get an external drive or internal drive, but make sure you get an additional drive large enough to back up all of your data to. Your drives will fail, either logically or physically. It could be in a day or two or 4 years from now, but it will happen.

This is true I also use a 1tb internal seagate

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 18:24:53 »
Yeah, I saw that thread, but don't want the expense of an SSD.  I am mostly looking for a drive that will get limited use and mostly be a place for a system image and archiving tons of photos.  I am thinking of going cloud on the archiving though as the external could still fail. 

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 18:34:43 »
I am mostly looking for archiving tons of photos.

If you don't mind losing all of those pictures then go for it, get a single drive and move them there and cross your fingers. Who cares about a system image? You can re-install the OS and software easily. You can't replace your pics without having a copy of them.

The cloud (in popular vernacular) is nothing more than a marketing term for the Internet. You can store stuff there as long as you don't mind paying for it and/or having really low amounts of bandwidth. Plus, there is no guarantee that the data won't be lost there. You still need at least 2 separate copies of any data you don't want to lose.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 00:24:17 »
Yeah, I saw that thread, but don't want the expense of an SSD.  I am mostly looking for a drive that will get limited use and mostly be a place for a system image and archiving tons of photos.  I am thinking of going cloud on the archiving though as the external could still fail.

I have 2 seagates and an OWC SSD and my online Server that I host my website at.
Online and external is the way to go.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 00:31:52 »
I ended up picking up a Toshiba Canvio 2TB  based on price and 3 year warranty.  I know that if it fails, I will lose the data, but at least I will get a replacement drive.  All of my critical data (baby/wedding/family photos) I am backing up to DVD-R right now for archiving.  That way they can stay in a dvd book in my file cabinet (fire-proof) in case of a catastrophic loss. 

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 00:41:01 »
I ended up picking up a Toshiba Canvio 2TB  based on price and 3 year warranty.  I know that if it fails, I will lose the data, but at least I will get a replacement drive.  All of my critical data (baby/wedding/family photos) I am backing up to DVD-R right now for archiving.  That way they can stay in a dvd book in my file cabinet (fire-proof) in case of a catastrophic loss.
Cool enjoy!
Oh yeah DVD-R is a good option as well! I just got a Blu Ray Burner so Ive been burning BD-Rs. :)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 03:40:02 »
Cool enjoy!
Oh yeah DVD-R is a good option as well! I just got a Blu Ray Burner so Ive been burning BD-Rs. :)
Beware of DVD delamination.
Happens a lot more than people realize. While original DVD's were designed to last 10 years, cheaper production ones often do not. Not to mention the time it takes.

Blueray seems like a better option until you realize that external drives and even online storage is nearly the same price and easier to manage.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 January 2014, 03:44:40 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 03:58:28 »
Cool enjoy!
Happens a lot more than people realize. While original DVD's were designed to last 10 years, cheaper production ones often do not. Not to mention the time it takes.

Blueray seems like a better option until you realize that external drives and even online storage is nearly the same price and easier to manage.

Yeah, I luckily got the Blu Ray Burner as a Christmas gift. I find Verbatim discs on Amazon for about $1.25 each or so. Its a decent deal. But yes I do fear time for the discs.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 11:03:19 »
Cool enjoy!

Yeah, that is a concern, but for the price, is not too bad of an option.  It took about half a dozen DVDs to backup all my pictures, and I have a very small book that I can keep in my fire proof file cabinet.  What do you think about one of the larger flash drives for archiving photos and documents?  I don't really care if I have to find programs or re-download games, but in just pictures, I am near 30gb. 

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 01:59:32 »
Yeah, that is a concern, but for the price, is not too bad of an option.  It took about half a dozen DVDs to backup all my pictures, and I have a very small book that I can keep in my fire proof file cabinet.  What do you think about one of the larger flash drives for archiving photos and documents?  I don't really care if I have to find programs or re-download games, but in just pictures, I am near 30gb.
If it's a thumbstick, do doubles of everything.
Thumbsticks are easily damaged and regularly fail. It's usually one small circuit (easily fixed) or the USB plug itself (also easily fixed), but they do fail a lot.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:06:31 »
Thumbsticks are easily damaged and regularly fail. It's usually one small circuit (easily fixed) or the USB plug itself (also easily fixed), but they do fail a lot.

that is what I was wondering.  Would an SD card be a better way to go?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 01:35:37 »

that is what I was wondering.  Would an SD card be a better way to go?
Sd lacks the chip that tends to fry and the usb connector that breaks... Other than being shocked or broken, they are quite durable.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 01:49:34 »
SD cards have a controller chip very similar to USB flash drives. Practically speaking, the main difference between the two are mostly physical and logical formatting. High quality optical media have a shelf-life of up to 100 years if stored properly.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 02:04:42 »
SD cards have a controller chip very similar to USB flash drives. Practically speaking, the main difference between the two are mostly physical and logical formatting. High quality optical media have a shelf-life of up to 100 years if stored properly.
It's not the same, problematic chip though.
I've tossed many thumbsticks, but never an sdcard.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 02:10:35 »
Probably because USB drives are much easier to break due to the way they are constructed. They both basically consist of a controller chip and storage chip(s). I agree, I've had many more USB flash drives go bad. I can't remember the last time I had an SD card go bad, but I don't use them that much either.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 10:09:43 »
Probably because USB drives are much easier to break due to the way they are constructed. They both basically consist of a controller chip and storage chip(s). I agree, I've had many more USB flash drives go bad. I can't remember the last time I had an SD card go bad, but I don't use them that much either.

yup.. you don't use sd card nearly as often.. they don't receive nearly as much traffic.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 03:26:40 »

yup.. you don't use sd card nearly as often.. they don't receive nearly as much traffic.
You clearly haven't seen my phone.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 17:55:20 »
It's one of the reasons I like USB flash that are like these:

usual point of breakage for me has been the solder joints on the usb plug to the PCB, but that type is just one piece with contacts as part of the pcb... so far they have been way more durable and I haven't had one break on me yet. The only real con is they are so SLOW. I wish someone would make USB3 with at least 40MB/s like those... but I haven't found such thing yet.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 04:08:05 »
I use these... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313312
You will break the computer port first. LOL
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 10:43:18 »
Those kinds are also not too bad. I got a usb3 one like that recently as a compromise to not being able to find anything like those other ones with a good speed. That new one at least is not made of steel like an old one I had in that style. That damn thing would usually make any PC reboot when you insert it.