Author Topic: What's better than jalapeno poppers?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
What's better than jalapeno poppers?
« on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 00:39:24 »
Habanero poppers of course!

53529-0

These are unseeded, bacon wrapped, and stuffed with cheddar, garlic, and cream cheese.  Every now and then I'll make a ghost chili popper, but I can only eat one otherwise it tears up my stomach.  Not only that, but I can only buy the fresh ones locally a couple months out of the year.  I only made three because I always finish however many I make, and any more will cause problems later LOL.

Any other capsaicin lovers in the house?

Offline Hull

• I like everything with great quality and soul.
Re: What's better than jalapeno poppers?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 00:45:49 »
The party in your stomach might get pooped atleast.

These things look good tbh.

Offline iri

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 01:08:56 »
i like spicy food!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 01:30:33 »
These things look good tbh.
They were excellent.  Like I said, that's why I only made three.  When I make a dozen or more, things don't go well the next day LOL.

i like spicy food!
A very common trait in awesome people.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 01:43:00 »
I expected this to be answered with a "MOAR JALAPENO POPPERS" kind of thing, but good choice.

I enjoy spicy things a lot, but the first time I was exposed to the ghost pepper was by prank.  Got asked if I liked spicy foods by a co-worker at a different branch of the car audio company I worked at and then "Oh, hey, I got a hot sauce you'll like, it's not that bad."

A couple seconds later, I have a dorito in my hand with a small dash of this dark red juice on it and in my mouth it goes.  In my experience with ghost pepper stuff, the first bites/couple seconds after only bite, it's not bad.  Like we're talking less than jalapeno not bad.  That sensation slowly built to the point that ~30 seconds later, my mouth and tongue had started to throb and my eyes leaking fluid.  "Man, that hot sauce really builds some heat" I said, "At first it was eh, now I hurt." 

And that's when I was shown the bottle clearly stating "3 ghost peppers died to make this hot sauce"

So yeah, still like spicy things and for a time after that, my heat had broken so to speak and I couldn't get enough ghost pepper infused foods. 

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 02:01:16 »
I expected this to be answered with a "MOAR JALAPENO POPPERS" kind of thing, but good choice.

I enjoy spicy things a lot, but the first time I was exposed to the ghost pepper was by prank.  Got asked if I liked spicy foods by a co-worker at a different branch of the car audio company I worked at and then "Oh, hey, I got a hot sauce you'll like, it's not that bad."

A couple seconds later, I have a dorito in my hand with a small dash of this dark red juice on it and in my mouth it goes.  In my experience with ghost pepper stuff, the first bites/couple seconds after only bite, it's not bad.  Like we're talking less than jalapeno not bad.  That sensation slowly built to the point that ~30 seconds later, my mouth and tongue had started to throb and my eyes leaking fluid.  "Man, that hot sauce really builds some heat" I said, "At first it was eh, now I hurt." 

And that's when I was shown the bottle clearly stating "3 ghost peppers died to make this hot sauce"

So yeah, still like spicy things and for a time after that, my heat had broken so to speak and I couldn't get enough ghost pepper infused foods. 

LOL that reminds me of the first time I tried a ghost chili.  I didn't really know about the Scoville scale yet.  I was used to eating raw habaneros, so I figure how better to judge a pepper than to pop a whole one in your mouth raw.  I definitely wasn't used to THAT type of heat(yet).  Whenever I make ghost chili wings, people always say that it wasn't as spicy as they expected, then about 30 seconds later they look like they are lit on fire.  One person described it to me as "a religious experience" LOL.  For some reason that particular chili has a creeping up effect that doesn't hit right away, but it hits HARD.

FYI - if you ever eat something WAY too spicy, forget about milk.  That **** doesn't work on a ghost chili scale.  Capsaicin is alcohol and fat soluble(which is why full fat milk works), so a better choice would be to swish around in your mouth either cooking oil or hard alcohol of at least 80 proof.  Since using cooking oil like mouthwash is gross, and I usually have hard liquor, I use that like mouthwash and spit it out after about 30 seconds.  DO NOT SWALLOW the hard liquor, it has become infused with the capsaicin in your mouth, and will be readily absorbed by your stomach causing further discomfort.  I made that mistake before and it felt like I swallowed a blender blade that was turned on max power.

Offline iri

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 02:04:01 »
i used to eat raw and pickled jalapenos as well
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 02:15:54 »
i used to eat raw and pickled jalapenos as well

I still do sometimes.  Jalapeno's aren't very spicy, but they do have great flavor, especially if you roast them over an open flame or pickle them.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 02:47:08 »
I like spicy food. But I only dabble in really hot stuff here and there and usually it's not by choice.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 03:43:15 »
Anyone here ever had Hotmaple hot sauce? You'd think habs and maple syrup wouldn't mix but it has got to be one of my favorite sauces.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 11:20:59 »
Anyone here ever had Hotmaple hot sauce? You'd think habs and maple syrup wouldn't mix but it has got to be one of my favorite sauces.

No, but I bet that would go great with some wings.  I really don't like sweet stuff by itself, but sweet and spicy go great together.

I like these sauces that I get at the local grocery store:
http://www.originaljuan.com/pain-is-good
Specifically these two:
http://www.originaljuan.com/pain-is-good/batch-114-jamaican-style-hot-sauce
http://www.originaljuan.com/pain-is-good/batch-37-garlic-style-hot-sauce

The FIRST ingredient is habaneros, so it's mostly habanero paste with flavorings.  They manage to have good heat, as well as good flavor.  I've tried a bunch of the super spicy extract based sauces, but they seem to be all heat without much flavor.  Extracts are cool, but using real pods is much more flavorful in my opionion.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 11:26:30 »

No, but I bet that would go great with some wings.  I really don't like sweet stuff by itself, but sweet and spicy go great together.

Specifically these two:

The FIRST ingredient is habaneros, so it's mostly habanero paste with flavorings.  They manage to have good heat, as well as good flavor.  I've tried a bunch of the super spicy extract based sauces, but they seem to be all heat without much flavor.  Extracts are cool, but using real pods is much more flavorful in my opionion.

Spice extremists are optimizing the "heat" sensation above all else.. because they're desensitized to it..

It is an endorphin high..

That is to say they're (half way) drug-addicts..

It is no longer about "the flavor"..

Just as alcoholics don't care that most alcohols taste like 'rotting-wood

Meth-addicts don't care that meth is extremely bitter

Coke addicts don't care that snorting damages their mucous lining.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 11:53:15 »

Specifically these two:

Spice extremists are optimizing the "heat" sensation above all else.. because they're desensitized to it..

This pretty much. I love the taste of sauces like Cholula, but the heat just doesn't do it at all for me. But those extracts are just horrid. They taste like straight battery acid. Makes for a great april fools day prank though, just pour into a batch of cookies and watch the napalm wreak havoc

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 12:01:29 »

Specifically these two:

This pretty much. I love the taste of sauces like Cholula, but the heat just doesn't do it at all for me. But those extracts are just horrid. They taste like straight battery acid. Makes for a great april fools day prank though, just pour into a batch of cookies and watch the napalm wreak havoc

capsaicin extracts are dissolved in alcohol arn't they? that would explain the battery acid- flavor..

Offline Lanx

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 20:32:09 »
ppl who like spice should just find a good thai/indian restaurant and say i want thai-hot or indian-hot, non of that white ppl spicy. (stores usually ask the customer how hot from 1 to 10?, which is really just mild spice for white ppl, you have to say you want it thai or indian hot for the real spice)

my wife can handle thai hot, i think i'm cursed with a gwei-lo's resistance tho.

also, chedder + cream cheese? i don't like the combination, sometimes i view the cheddar as way too overwhelming.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 20:59:47 »

Specifically these two:

Truth.  It is an endorphin rush, but you can manage to keep the flavor too.  I've made homemade ghost chili sauces that rival the heat from extract based sauces, but I think that because fresh ghost chilis are expensive, they use extracts instead.  The ghost chili actually has a nice fruit flavor before it lights you on fire.  Also, there are plenty of alcoholics who are very picky about fine liquor vs natty ice, coke fiends that care about fishscale to minimize the amount of powder ingested vs 90% B12, and meth addicts... I'll give you that one LOL.

Battery acid is a perfect description of those extract based sauces.  Actually, the best prank use I've found for those is when you're taking shots with a bunch of people - the ones that have the "I can drink more than you so lets make this a competition" type, just put a couple of drops in each shot.  Make sure that you take one too, so that you can show everyone that it's "not that bad," even though it's because you're used to it.  THAT **** IS EPIC LAUGHTER.

ppl who like spice should just find a good thai/indian restaurant and say i want thai-hot or indian-hot, non of that white ppl spicy. (stores usually ask the customer how hot from 1 to 10?, which is really just mild spice for white ppl, you have to say you want it thai or indian hot for the real spice)

my wife can handle thai hot, i think i'm cursed with a gwei-lo's resistance tho.

also, chedder + cream cheese? i don't like the combination, sometimes i view the cheddar as way too overwhelming.
You are correct about the 1 to 10.  I'd been going to this Thai place for years ordering number 10 and being disappointed.  Everyone else that orders number 10 complains how spicy it is though, some people have to order something else because they can't eat it.  One day I made the comment "10 unless you can go higher."  Because of that comment plus me being a regular that tips well, the guy told me about stuff on the secret menu and that I could order up to 30.  Now every time I go there I jokingly order number 50 spicy, then they tell me 30 is the max they will do, which I'm okay with.  I guess they usually only tell Thai people about the secret menu.

Cheddar + cream cheese works very well.  To me, too much cream cheese is overwhelming, and so is too much cheddar.  They balance each other out by reducing each other's strong characteristics.  Cream cheese is too creamy when it gets hot, and cheddar is too thick and flavorful to eat a lot of.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 21:06:53 »
Geez, I was just going for a few drops in a whole batch of like 30 cookies, but in a single shot? Just settle down Satan  :)

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 21:48:03 »
I bring drinking games to a new level :)

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 01:29:10 »
When I get home, I have a few jars of spicy peppers from Brazil! Every year when I go back to my family I buy about 4 bottles....
They are absolutely amazing. :p

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 01:47:59 »
What kind of chilis?

Offline iri

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 02:06:00 »

what's funny is that "low spicy, please!" doesn't work on the streets of thailand

-Ray Bradbury

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 02:41:40 »

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 02:59:48 »

I've been pepper sprayed before, and getting that stuff in your eyes and lungs is no fun at all, even for pepper enthusiasts.

Not the best quality clip, but I like this chili related Simpsons clip where Homer covered his mouth in hot wax to avoid burning his mouth, then trips balls:

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 00:35:48 »
Aaaaawwwww ****.  Ask and ye shall receive.  Look what just showed up again at the grocery store.
53717-0
I've been waiting for these to come back in season.  Most people I've talked to online have to grow their own from seeds ordered online because they aren't locally available.  I feel privileged that I can buy these locally, but usually these are only available March - October.  I'm very glad Bhut season started early this year.  At one point I was able to get Butch T scorpions, but only one box then they never showed up again.  I'm hoping for fresh Carolina Reaper to turn up locally, but these will do in the meanwhile.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 01:55:24 »

I've been pepper sprayed before, and getting that stuff in your eyes and lungs is no fun at all, even for pepper enthusiasts.

You can't just say that and move on. You must entertain us with the story ... unless it was actually something horrible in which case I don't think you would have brought it up. So do tell =}

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 02:27:42 »

Not the best quality clip, but I like this chili related Simpsons clip where Homer covered his mouth in hot wax to avoid burning his mouth, then trips balls:

being pepper sprayed sucks. being in the area also sucks.

rock the bells concert, rage against the machine's second show since they got back together. crazy crowd. pepper spray happy cops.

coughing... coughing everywhere.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 03:19:15 »

You can't just say that and move on. You must entertain us with the story ... unless it was actually something horrible in which case I don't think you would have brought it up. So do tell =}
Unfortunately I don't have some epic fight the power run in with the police story to go along with it.  I called a girl a dumb c-word along with some other stuff about 15 years ago.  It was pretty much a situation where a dumb ***** was talking ****.  If she was a guy we would have been exchanging fists.  But since it's not socially acceptable to beat a woman into a coma, I used words instead, and she eventually sprayed me out of anger.  She was still talking **** after.  I would have gone to jail if I tried to do anything about it, so instead I just left.  Sorry I don't have a more interesting story.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 03:27:06 »

Unfortunately I don't have some epic fight the power run in with the police story to go along with it.  I called a girl a dumb c-word along with some other stuff about 15 years ago.  It was pretty much a situation where a dumb ***** was talking ****.  If she was a guy we would have been exchanging fists.  But since it's not socially acceptable to beat a woman into a coma, I used words instead, and she eventually sprayed me out of anger.  She was still talking **** after.  I would have gone to jail if I tried to do anything about it, so instead I just left.  Sorry I don't have a more interesting story.

Ahhh, yea you definitely did the right thing. I know somebody who got jail time for something like that in a similar situation.

I almost feel bad for prying, I thought it was one of those self defense class gone wrong type of things.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 03:36:57 »

Ahhh, yea you definitely did the right thing. I know somebody who got jail time for something like that in a similar situation.

I almost feel bad for prying, I thought it was one of those self defense class gone wrong type of things.

Even if you are defending yourself from a violent female, you're still going to look like the aggressor to the police.  Too bad for your friend.