Author Topic: I just made something! RPi + HiFiBerry DAC + Volumio = WebUI music player!  (Read 10482 times)

Offline zeroni13

So I wanted to test out Volumio which is a linux based music OS.
First I got myself a new Pi because the other ones I have was revision 1 and I needed the rev 2 for this project.
Then I went ahead and bought the HiFiBerry DAC and some Furutech FP-900 G (RCA connectors)

The first thing I did was to solder on the P5 header on the RPi.

Then I test-fitted the DAC

I wasn't happy with how it would be if I put in in a case so I started modding the Pi by removing the 3,5mm jack and the RCA connector from the board.

Also removed the RCA connectors from the DAC board.

Soldered on some wires and put the RPi and DAC together to test fit in the case.

Soldered on the Furutech RCA connectors

Closed the case and there we have the finished product!

And here is the WebUI

Took me about 1,5 hours to do, but the planning took a while.

Hope you like it! Please tell me what you think! I would love some constructive feedback, maybe I can make it even better?
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 July 2014, 11:00:49 by zeroni13 »
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline zeroni13

hahaha... very koo... tp4 r jelly
Show Image

Make one yourself then! =D
Haha.

Offline zeroni13

hows the sound.. does it need an amp for something like earbud.
The sound is amazing! It's a 24-bit 192KHz DAC so it can deliver very good sound.
I don't think you would need an amplifier for earbuds, but I would really reccomend to use it with a good amplifier + some headphones/speakers.

I run the audio from the RPi to a Schiit Sys, then to a Doxa Model 74 and then to some Bower & Wilkins 684.

Offline zeroni13

A little update:

I tried to tweak the UI a little bit.
First I removed the volume wheel because I use the HiFiBerry DAC and I control the volume with a passive preamp.
Then I had to center the playback wheel and see if it still looked good on both PC and mobile.
After that i tried to change all the colors, but there are still some color values I cannot find (I probably will try more later)

Anyway here is the result.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 July 2014, 06:15:53 by zeroni13 »

Offline blackbox

hows the sound.. does it need an amp for something like earbud.
The sound is amazing! It's a 24-bit 192KHz DAC so it can deliver very good sound.
I don't think you would need an amplifier for earbuds, but I would really reccomend to use it with a good amplifier + some headphones/speakers.

I run the audio from the RPi to a Schiit Sys, then to a Doxa Model 74 and then to some Bower & Wilkins 684.

Very nice! Can't wait  to hear it(I live in the same apartment)! I must add that it is an doxa 70b not a 74.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Whoa, this looks awesome. So instead of plugging in your cans into your computer, you plug it into this music player and you can listen to your music wherever?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
thats super cool sir

i wish i was a wizard
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
nice price on that DAC, I think the last rpi dac I saw was like $200 more than it should have been.

Offline nuclearsandwich

Did you 3D print that case or get it from somewhere pre-made?

Offline zeroni13

Whoa, this looks awesome. So instead of plugging in your cans into your computer, you plug it into this music player and you can listen to your music wherever?
Yes, this can stream from a NAS or a computer with cifs/nfs.
Right now I'm just using a USB HDD because the NAS I plan to set up is not done and my computer is not always on.
The neat thing is that it also can play webradio so I actually don't need any local files at all.

nice price on that DAC, I think the last rpi dac I saw was like $200 more than it should have been.
Sounds a little flat and and "colorless" compared to more expensive DAC's, but it's not bad for the prize /size at all!

Did you 3D print that case or get it from somewhere pre-made?
It's a Multicomp premade case, the reason it fit so well was becuase I cut away some supports inside (not documented). And since I removed the 1/8" (3,5mm) jack and the RCA video connector from the RPi itself, I could mount it in the case there. I had to use a file to get the 1/8" hole bigger because I needed to fit a RCA plug there. The hole for tha RCA plug that was there originally was a perfect fit though.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 July 2014, 02:21:33 by zeroni13 »

Offline nuclearsandwich

Wow, I was just looking at sourcing those RCA jacks and they cost more than the DAC!

Offline blackbox

Wow, I was just looking at sourcing those RCA jacks and they cost more than the DAC!

Ehm, yes they actually do(quite insane). It was salvaged from a DIY amplifier that I and zeroni13 made. So it was not bought for this project :)
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0