Author Topic: I went back to a Black Widow, what!?  (Read 47732 times)

Offline DuckNorris

I went back to a Black Widow, what!?
« on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 00:05:09 »
Hey guys, so I was looking for a new keyboard since I spilled some soy sauce on my CoolerMaster Stealth and it is not doing some odd crap and it is basically screwed up. I went to my local frys and tried out to see what I could find. However I was looking at all different types and saw the new Razer Black Widow Stealth. I have for the past years downtalking the BlackWidow and thought I would never get one again. However , after trying this one out at the store, at first I was skeptic, I thought it was some marketing BS from Razer. However after typing on this keyboard for a while , I am really liking it, like alot. It feels like a in between between browns and reds, like a Softer Browns basically and I am LOVING typing on this, just wish someone else would make this.

Anyone else tried these "Razer Mechanical Switches" on the new Stealth Black Widow? It is weird, I never thought that after trying out so many different keyboards, I think this really hit the spot for me...
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 00:11:18 by DuckNorris »

Offline Aidenknives

Re: I went back to a Black Widow, what!?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 00:16:06 »
Hey guys, so I was looking for a new keyboard since I spilled some soy sauce on my CoolerMaster Stealth and it is not doing some odd crap and it is basically screwed up. I went to my local frys and tried out to see what I could find. However I was looking at all different types and saw the new Razer Black Widow Stealth. I have for the past years downtalking the BlackWidow and thought I would never get one again. However , after trying this one out at the store, at first I was skeptic, I thought it was some marketing BS from Razer. However after typing on this keyboard for a while , I am really liking it, like alot. It feels like a in between between browns and reds, like a Softer Browns basically and I am LOVING typing on this, just wish someone else would make this.

Anyone else tried these "Razer Mechanical Switches" on the new Stealth Black Widow? It is weird, I never thought that after trying out so many different keyboards, I think this really hit the spot for me...
Too bad no one knows how reliable these switches are since they are brand new.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 00:23:32 »

Too bad no one knows how reliable these switches are since they are brand new.

True, what I thought too. Cause Razer sometimes pulls some bs in some of their products but I hope they are decent because I am REALLY liking them as of now.

Kind of weird since I used to really downplay the original black widow after trying out so many different keyboards.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 00:30:25 by DuckNorris »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 01:04:32 »
I always thought that the Blackwidow tournament edition (TKL, blues) was one of the most attractively priced and best bang for buck mechanical keyboard options that were available in my country.

I also think that you do not have to apologize for what you like. Everyone has their own preferences. Once you have a keyboard, you can disregard brand, and just focus on how a keyboard feels instead.

Finally, I think that almost all mechanical keyboards are too loud to be of any use to me. Too loud to use at work, too loud to use in the living room. Basically useless. I would probably get more practical use out of that Razer than I would out of any respected brand that uses Cherry MX switches without a silent option.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 01:45:58 »
I always thought that the Blackwidow tournament edition (TKL, blues) was one of the most attractively priced and best bang for buck mechanical keyboard options that were available in my country.

I also think that you do not have to apologize for what you like. Everyone has their own preferences. Once you have a keyboard, you can disregard brand, and just focus on how a keyboard feels instead.

Finally, I think that almost all mechanical keyboards are too loud to be of any use to me. Too loud to use at work, too loud to use in the living room. Basically useless. I would probably get more practical use out of that Razer than I would out of any respected brand that uses Cherry MX switches without a silent option.

Wait what.. is the BW more silent than others, all of sudden ? O.o or have I missed something? The stealth version simply yas the equivalent of mx browns from what I've heard and tried of em..

To OP: I do like the BW as well ^^ but haven't tried it for a longer perios. I almost ended up with a bw tkl, but bought a HHKB instead :))
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 01:47:38 by Sagii »

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 02:16:31 »

Wait what.. is the BW more silent than others, all of sudden ? O.o or have I missed something? The stealth version simply yas the equivalent of mx browns from what I've heard and tried of em..

To OP: I do like the BW as well ^^ but haven't tried it for a longer perios. I almost ended up with a bw tkl, but bought a HHKB instead :))
@Grim, yeah they are really attractive overall and do last for most people for a while I think they have improved recently ( atleast for now) .

@sagii
It is like a softer/lighter brows, i have browns , all type of cherry mx brows and with different silencers/orings and they don't feel 100% exactly the same, you barely feel the click here. Similarities are there of course since they are supposed to be a clone of browns but it is enough to really satisfy me to buy this keyboard rather than others. I was going to take the hit on the HHKB but I decided not too. Just did not want to deal with the learning curve price if I wasn't 100% sure any other keyboard(and I have tried TONS) would do.
Actually told myself, if the next keyboard I bought sucked , I would go for a HHKB... but damn was I mistaken xD.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 02:29:44 by DuckNorris »

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 02:19:56 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56405.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58185.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60389.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60139.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59245.0

OMG thanks for this rowdy and yeah it seems some people are not fully sure on this type of keys but there are close especulations. Thanks to this I found out there is a Mini version that i may buy later and use this one for work :) .

Crap, my bad for double posting X) .

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 07:11:38 »
The problem is generally Razer has awful build quality / durability across all their products =\
Anyway best of luck to your BW

Offline irecresum

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 07:48:28 »
I can also vouch for this as picked up a stealth full-size on sale and love the feel of its silky smooth hardly noticeable tactile bump.

The only thing I prefer my favorite mx reds keyboard over it is that I find the higher actuation point does slightly throw me off my accuracy. But I'm sure that if it were to be my daily driver I would soon get used to it.

Razer keyboards don't rattle (I'm talking spacebars) and the main thing I think ppl need to realize is that you do not have to install Synapse 2.0 for the backlighting to work. You can still use all 25 levels of backlighting, just not the macro keys.

They have in fact produced a better switch, albeit a modified Kailh one lol IMO.

edit: to clarify the issue I have with less accuracy with the orange switches is that the letter "u" regularly fails to register. I put this down to me becoming accustomed to not bottoming out on reds so I probably am not pressing the "u" key hard enough. Perhaps the "u" key on my blackwidow uses the full variance in actuation distance. But no biggie! Just tighten up that improved QA razer :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 08:36:38 by irecresum »
esoomenona: "****, son. Don't you see my ****ing post count? I matter in this *****"

Offline irecresum

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 08:05:23 »
Show Image

I think razer orange switches would go very well in a full ramen ergodox keyboard

No kidding.
esoomenona: "****, son. Don't you see my ****ing post count? I matter in this *****"

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:05:20 »
What? Some here at GH are actually liking Razer's Orange switch? And no one here has flamed them? :confused: What in the world is going on here at GH?! :eek:

Offline irecresum

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:12:32 »
My advice: don't buy it

because

then you will need to try the tournament edition, buy a spare one and then regret not waiting for the chroma, and then feeling like a clandestine weirdo razer fanboy

not to mention approaching SP to make custom keysets (and do they even make PBT?)
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:14:19 by irecresum »

Offline irecresum

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:18:06 »
I still wonder the reason why razer, coolermaster, steelseries don't make standard bottom rows so ppl can change out the caps. A CM rep posed this very question in another thread for us to ponder and I'm still pondering it.

Offline irecresum

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:42:31 »

You know, these orange switches do not require dampening - no matter how hard you slam the keys they are really "silent" except for the spacebar. So if you do get a blackwidow get at most one o-ring for the spacebar.

Also, the keycaps have a lovely velvety texture. Mmmm razer... I'm hoping there will be a blackwidow tournament stealth chroma if they are smart enough

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:27:26 »

I tried them for 2 weeks, liked them at first, despised them after that. With all keyboards mate, it's just personal preference. If you like it, get it, if you don't, then don't.

Simple as that really. - Personally though, I hate Kailh switches, Cherry > all.
你搞砸了

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:38:23 »
The problem is generally Razer has awful build quality / durability across all their products =\

Yep. Deathadders seem to be the only product that doesn't fall apart within 6 months to a year. At least, in my experience. Everything I've owned from them broke down from the ****ty quality of the plastic used.
c h e r

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:44:31 »

Yep. Deathadders seem to be the only product that doesn't fall apart within 6 months to a year. At least, in my experience. Everything I've owned from them broke down from the ****ty quality of the plastic used.

Even then
I visit gaming forums a lot and it's really luck of the draw. It's like they're designed to break down in a certain way so you buy next year's edition.

I've never had such an issue dealing with peripherals from other "high end" companies.

Offline irecresum

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:44:36 »
No, no, and no.  Razer blackwidows don't break down or ppl wouldn't buy them. Their products sell and they don't need geekhack's seal of approval ala keyed up labs. Brand new brand but better than Filco. Wot?!

Is this still for connoisseurs or ppl trying to fit in and promote the next fad?
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:47:03 by irecresum »

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 11:06:43 »
No, no, and no.  Razer blackwidows don't break down or ppl wouldn't buy them. Their products sell and they don't need geekhack's seal of approval ala keyed up labs. Brand new brand but better than Filco. Wot?!

Is this still for connoisseurs or ppl trying to fit in and promote the next fad?

I'm not sure I understood this broken message properly but there's a high failure rate to Razer products. I've owned them, I've known others who owned them and I discuss them.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 12:00:37 »

I'm not sure I understood this broken message properly but there's a high failure rate to Razer products. I've owned them, I've known others who owned them and I discuss them.

It is luck of the draw. I knew this too from my previous experience with them. I have friends who have had Black Widows from 3-4 years ago with no issues, and people that had one broken down in 6 months. I am hoping I am lucky about it so far. I mean if I could I would remove the switches and make a new board ( but dk if that is possible, and if it is no way I have the time or resources to).

Just really digging these switches.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 12:04:31 by DuckNorris »

Offline irecresum

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 13:19:00 »

Maybe a glitch in your comprehension. Have you personally owned the current stealth switch? Don't rely so much on hearsay but get your own experience first then you can expound on the quality of razer's 2014 stealth edition. I think people have mainly complained about keys repeating but as I said you don't need synapse for the keyboard to work. Just don't install synapse. Ok you'll lose some gaming functionality but not the typing experience which the OP loves and another flippant love it one day despise it the next reviewer. Ask fohat if he needs to use each and every key of his behemoths in order to enjoy the satisfaction of actually typing on them.

Anything you can't comprehend? See an English teacher for new arrivals.

Also, are KULs tried and tested yet in large enough quantities and for their full declared number of keystrokes for us to be proclaiming them as better than filcos as tactical does for elitekeyboards? Kailh's have been around longer than keyed up labs and razer has only said to have had improved them. Certainly ppl have said there is less wobble and the boards have been torn down and proven to be of solid construction. Enough with the disingenuous obfuscation regarding razer borne out of jealousy no doubt.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:20:47 by irecresum »

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 13:27:00 »
NSFW
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:06:26 by pbtforever »

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 13:31:21 »

I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars on Razer products. I've also been given plenty of their peripherals for free. I've assisted with giveaways at conventions. I stopped supporting these products because everything I've had has broken down. I continued to buy from them because of their flawless marketing, on top of the fact that my friends are sponsored by them and I wanted to support them.

I ended up at GH trying to find a replacement for my 12th Naga and advice on replacing my Orochi (which had also broken) and keyboard (which had also broken). It has nothing to do with being a member of GH. I came here because I wanted real responses from people who had used QUALITY peripherals, because I didn't feel like I was getting quality from Razer. As I've learned, I was correct, I wasn't. I have peripherals from Corsair that I've had for 4-5 years that have been thrown against walls and still work like they did out of the box. I never mistreated my Razer products and each Naga became a Maraca (if you've had one fall apart from the inside, you know what I'm talking about), the buttons stopped working on every other mouse I've owned from them within a year, keyboard switches became unresponsive, or the plastic began breaking for no plausible reason and each headset I've had broke down either structurally or electronically within 12 months.

I'm not a snob. I wouldn't consider CoolerMaster & Corsair to be enthusiast brands. I own and support their products, even if they aren't what I choose to use most now. I think Razer products are junk because they are.
c h e r

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 13:36:01 »
Have you personally owned the current stealth switch? Don't rely so much on hearsay but get your own experience first then you can expound on the quality of razer's 2014 stealth edition.

I loved Razer products initially, so I don't think testing the 2014 edition will give me any insight into its quality. If I got my hands on one (FOR FREE, I wouldn't pay for anything from them), you could talk to me in 12-18 months and I could give you an idea of the actual quality.

Razer's problem is that its products do not last (though as someone else said, some products are hit or miss). Lots of reviews for their products get amended after the first year because people complain that the products didn't hold up to normal use.
c h e r

Offline irecresum

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 13:38:10 »

I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars on Razer products. I've also been given plenty of their peripherals for free. I've assisted with giveaways at conventions. I stopped supporting these products because everything I've had has broken down. I continued to buy from them because of their flawless marketing, on top of the fact that my friends are sponsored by them and I wanted to support them.

I ended up at GH trying to find a replacement for my 12th Naga and advice on replacing my Orochi (which had also broken) and keyboard (which had also broken). It has nothing to do with being a member of GH. I came here because I wanted real responses from people who had used QUALITY peripherals, because I didn't feel like I was getting quality from Razer. As I've learned, I was correct, I wasn't. I have peripherals from Corsair that I've had for 4-5 years that have been thrown against walls and still work like they did out of the box. I never mistreated my Razer products and each Naga became a Maraca (if you've had one fall apart from the inside, you know what I'm talking about), the buttons stopped working on every other mouse I've owned from them within a year, keyboard switches became unresponsive, or the plastic began breaking for no plausible reason and each headset I've had broke down either structurally or electronically within 12 months.

I'm not a snob. I wouldn't consider CoolerMaster & Corsair to be enthusiast brands. I own and support their products, even if they aren't what I choose to use most now. I think Razer products are junk because they are.

Well I question the veracity of your experience with Razer products as well as your reason for coming to geekhack. Aren't you already somewhat famous yet you're dabbling in making artisan keycaps for goodness sakes. Hope they prove worthy of being the victim of fakes only to prove their popularity. If you're not in it for profit I don't personally see any merit in your erstwhile attempts but that's just my personal taste.

Who exactly forced you to spend thousands of dollars on razer products anyway? Did they just suit your color scheme?

You haven't been here for 3 years so if you discovered corsairs to be so reliable did you just want the confirmation from others about your personal experience? I agree with TP about you and ur narcissistic issues.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 13:59:29 by irecresum »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 13:39:55 »
Well I question the veracity of your experience with Razer products as well as your reason for coming to geekhack. Aren't you already somewhat famous yet your dabbling in making artisan keycaps for goodness sakes. Hope they prove worthy of being the victim of fakes only to prove their popularity. If your not in it for profit I don't personally see any merit in your erstwhile attempts but that's just my personal taste.

I question you joining Geekhack too. Seems like you joined to be an *******. Mission accomplished. That's just my personal taste though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 13:42:15 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 13:46:57 »

Well I question the veracity of your experience with Razer products as well as your reason for coming to geekhack. Aren't you already somewhat famous yet your dabbling in making artisan keycaps for goodness sakes. Hope they prove worthy of being the victim of fakes only to prove their popularity. If your not in it for profit I don't personally see any merit in your erstwhile attempts but that's just my personal taste.

I question you joining Geekhack too. Seems like you joined to be an *******. Mission accomplished. That's just my personal taste though.

Reported! How dare you call out little linkbane!

Offline irecresum

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 13:48:05 »

Can you show me how to best format my upcoming review? Ease of navigation trumps information and honest opinion right. I too question your reasons. To have meet ups. To answer questions as a newbie yourself.

Can I have my account deleted if the likes of you are so unwelcoming. Does your post count give you super powers?

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:01:29 »

Well I question the veracity of your experience with Razer products as well as your reason for coming to geekhack. Aren't you already somewhat famous yet you're dabbling in making artisan keycaps for goodness sakes. Hope they prove worthy of being the victim of fakes only to prove their popularity. If you're not in it for profit I don't personally see any merit in your erstwhile attempts but that's just my personal taste.

Who exactly forced you to spend thousands of dollars on razer products anyway? Did they just suit your color scheme?

You should probably find my first post in the classifieds, where I was taunted for taking MORE THAN AN ENTIRE YEAR to reach 100 posts. Also, I make keycaps. You don't think they fit on the exact same design of MX stems that Razer created? Not sure how I profit from people not purchasing Razer products. I was complaining about Razer before I ever started making keycaps (which was a recent thing, by the way).

I'm complaining about the quality of materials and the crafstmanship of their products, not the design.

No one forced me to purchase Razer products. I liked the way they looked and I'm one of those people that is a sucker for good marketing. I had their stickers all over my car and my PC case. I was in love with them. I even took home a free Neon Red Kraken from Dreamhack this summer because it was pretty. No intention on using it, but I still love the way most of their products look.

I'm in that video behind Swifty and Chinglish in the white jeans and turquoise top. I'm not being fake. I'm sure you could scour the internet for my complaints about my many, many Nagas.

This is the first time I contacted them about it:

Oh, and here is my date of joining GH:

Like I said, I tried with them. Their customer service was good, their stuff is pretty, but it DOES NOT LAST.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:06:44 by cherpalla »
c h e r

Offline Sagii

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:10:18 »

@sagii
It is like a softer/lighter brows, i have browns , all type of cherry mx brows and with different silencers/orings and they don't feel 100% exactly the same, you barely feel the click here. Similarities are there of course since they are supposed to be a clone of browns but it is enough to really satisfy me to buy this keyboard rather than others. I was going to take the hit on the HHKB but I decided not too. Just did not want to deal with the learning curve price if I wasn't 100% sure any other keyboard(and I have tried TONS) would do.
Actually told myself, if the next keyboard I bought sucked , I would go for a HHKB... but damn was I mistaken xD.

Huh, didn't know it was a softer brown O.o bear in mind the only brown switches I've tried besides razer's orange are the ones on the G710+, which, from what I've understood, really ain't a good starting point :))

Anywhoo.. I would DEFO recommend you pull the trigger on a HHKB :D Both formfactor and layout are just simply great, love it to death, but topre really isn't my thing (I don't think it is, at least). That's why I've just ordered a Poker 2 with mx clears from massdrop ^^

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:12:28 »

@sagii

Huh, didn't know it was a softer brown O.o bear in mind the only brown switches I've tried besides razer's orange are the ones on the G710+, which, from what I've understood, really ain't a good starting point :))

Anywhoo.. I would DEFO recommend you pull the trigger on a HHKB :D Both formfactor and layout are just simply great, love it to death, but topre really isn't my thing (I don't think it is, at least). That's why I've just ordered a Poker 2 with mx clears from massdrop ^^

Have you typed on clears before? I really like the way they look, but I'm so used to reds I wonder if they would be too much for me.
c h e r

Offline irecresum

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:15:05 »

You should probably find my first post in the classifieds, where I was taunted for taking MORE THAN AN ENTIRE YEAR to reach 100 posts. Also, I make keycaps. You don't think they fit on the exact same design of MX stems that Razer created? Not sure how I profit from people not purchasing Razer products. I was complaining about Razer before I ever started making keycaps (which was a recent thing, by the way).

I'm complaining about the quality of materials and the crafstmanship of their products, not the design.

No one forced me to purchase Razer products. I liked the way they looked and I'm one of those people that is a sucker for good marketing. I had their stickers all over my car and my PC case. I was in love with them. I even took home a free Neon Red Kraken from Dreamhack this summer because it was pretty. No intention on using it, but I still love the way most of their products look.

I'm in that video behind Swifty and Chinglish in the white jeans and turquoise top. I'm not being fake. I'm sure you could scour the internet for my complaints about my many, many Nagas.

Show Image

Show Image

Like I said, I tried with them. Their customer service was good, their stuff is pretty, but it DOES NOT LAST.

I appreciate your civil and insightful response. I will indeed do some scouring. But if anytime was the time to be suckered by razer's marketing it's now. They are claiming to have improved cherry's switch for gaming especially with their green switch but only in the  2014 edition. I just discovered a love of the orange switch. Still can't get frag1lity's complete turnaround. He may be a she who loves red switches.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:16:39 by irecresum »

Offline Sagii

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:24:21 »

@sagii

Have you typed on clears before? I really like the way they look, but I'm so used to reds I wonder if they would be too much for me.

Nope, never tried em. Switches are hard to come by where I love.. All I've tried is a G710+, BW orange and green, pluss the steelseries mech board (can't remember it's name, but it got black switches), and a k95. Reds, browns and "greens" were too light for me. Black was pretty okey. Planning to mod my clears though ^_^

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:28:59 »
They are claiming to have improved cherry's switch for gaming especially with their green switch but only in the  2014 edition.

That's Razer marketing speak for, "We're sourcing a knockoff Chinese switch that's cheaper for us, but we're still going to charge the same price as when we were using real Cherry switches."

Nope, never tried em. Switches are hard to come by where I love.. All I've tried is a G710+, BW orange and green, pluss the steelseries mech board (can't remember it's name, but it got black switches), and a k95. Reds, browns and "greens" were too light for me. Black was pretty okey. Planning to mod my clears though ^_^

You should slap some 85g springs on those clears if you thought greens were too light.

Offline irecresum

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:36:39 »

@sagii

You like the way clears look? Buy one fc660m  with clears and trying typing on it. It feels kind of spongy to me. Filco browns with thick imsto pbt trumps stock clears with pbt IMO. But I like the feel of the key stroke to be like a woman's skin. Smooth. So I like reds the most especially on vortex boards. I got a zippy Bluetooth one and a iKBC 104 key and they are my faves. The k65 and Filco not so good. The hpe I put down to not liking the dsa caps I stuck on them. I like Pom caps on reds like others. Cheers, Cherpalla. Btw, forgot I also have a poker 2 backlit with reds and a fc660m with reds. The poker is better to me than the Leo. It's interesting how switches feel across different boards in terms of perceived weight and enjoyment.

In b4 quickest ban in GH history. Came out of lurking sick of the hypocrisy, misleading information and demik loving. Ban him he's useless. What boards does he even like. He just abuses noobs and says 'noted'. The milk is sour already!
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:46:40 by irecresum »

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:43:07 »

Show Image

Show Image

I have bought at the time the most expensive mouse from them ( Mamba), their most expensive last black widow ultimate 2012 or 2013 model can't recall, their most expensive mousepad. I had everything razer in the past, and I left them but not cause they failed. Actually all 3 of those products were used by my little brother as i passed them down to him and they are still going strong for him. However, from others I have heard issues. I move away from Razer in the past year or so and tried/used 10 other different keyboards from Coolermaster, ducky, Das, that I could find. As well as switching to Mionix mouse.

The quality in the ducky and das were superb of course compared to the old black widow. However so far, no issues with this one. But the switches are really something for me atm in this new one. I was an old razer fanboy, who switched to other brands and usually talked down on razer keyboards UNTIL this new one. Why i was so surprised regarding me liking this.

The keyboard so far feels solid (not installing that synapse crap). Will it hold up unlike some of their older stuff? Who knows, time will tell.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:45:13 by DuckNorris »

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:46:53 »
well if a black widow then hhkb type s?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Sagii

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:47:48 »
They are claiming to have improved cherry's switch for gaming especially with their green switch but only in the  2014 edition.

That's Razer marketing speak for, "We're sourcing a knockoff Chinese switch that's cheaper for us, but we're still going to charge the same price as when we were using real Cherry switches."

You should slap some 85g springs on those clears if you thought greens were too light.
Haha, I'm talking about Razer's green, mate :)) it's the equivalent of a blue mx switch!

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:51:15 »

Haha, I'm talking about Razer's green, mate :)) it's the equivalent of a blue mx switch!

Their greens didn't really impress me , felt the same or a little less comfortable than some blues i have had(just a little more resistance in the razer ones).I don't know if it was that keyboard specifically or not.   

Offline Sagii

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 15:13:54 »

Their greens didn't really impress me , felt the same or a little less comfortable than some blues i have had(just a little more resistance in the razer ones).I don't know if it was that keyboard specifically or not.
Who knows.. but I had literally nothing to compare it to. I'vd never tried proper blues :/

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 15:22:19 »

Maybe a glitch in your comprehension. Have you personally owned the current stealth switch? Don't rely so much on hearsay but get your own experience first then you can expound on the quality of razer's 2014 stealth edition. I think people have mainly complained about keys repeating but as I said you don't need synapse for the keyboard to work. Just don't install synapse. Ok you'll lose some gaming functionality but not the typing experience which the OP loves and another flippant love it one day despise it the next reviewer. Ask fohat if he needs to use each and every key of his behemoths in order to enjoy the satisfaction of actually typing on them.

Anything you can't comprehend? See an English teacher for new arrivals.

Also, are KULs tried and tested yet in large enough quantities and for their full declared number of keystrokes for us to be proclaiming them as better than filcos as tactical does for elitekeyboards? Kailh's have been around longer than keyed up labs and razer has only said to have had improved them. Certainly ppl have said there is less wobble and the boards have been torn down and proven to be of solid construction. Enough with the disingenuous obfuscation regarding razer borne out of jealousy no doubt.

You completely ignored my entire point to attack me on a point I had not argued in the first place.
Genius. Top tier human. /sarcasm

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 15:39:53 »
well if a black widow then hhkb type s?

Wat?

Offline Altis

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 15:44:11 »

I really think the experience can vary a lot. My old BlackWidow Ultimate has never missed a beat, and feels a little better made than my older Das Ultimate, although the keycaps are really crappy.

Having said that, my Razer Imperator mouse, while great when it works properly, sometimes gets all bugged up and one axis will stop responding intermittently.

I think that the BW Tournament edition is pretty well made at a decent enough price.

What I have to give at least some credit to Razer for, though, is that they actually made the BWU widely available so I could try out a mechanical board in person. Back when I started, this was important to me, as I could try MX Blue and MX Brown in person at my local BestBuy. Now, the computer stores stock even more types of mechanical boards, which is great, but I have to give a nod to the ones who were there early on.

I still use my BWU with MX Blue, despite also having many other boards, and I probably will continue to as it's not as bad as all that. I'm sure Razer quality can be bad on some product, and their marketing is certainly questionable, but I do think that it's the "in thing" to hate on Razer, if my experience is any indication.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 15:58:20 »
but I do think that it's the "in thing" to hate on Razer, if my experience is any indication.

That's just it. It's your experience. While I've not used any of their keyboards, I've tried just about every single one of their mice, and the only one that was worth a spit was the original Boomslang. While I loved the feel of the DeathAdder, the software was garbage. Their support in general has been subpar in my experience. Whenever I've had a question about my Logitech mice, I always received a response within 24 hours. Similar inquiries with my Razer mice would take 2-3 times as long.

Razer is a brand that I want to like, but once bitten, twice shy, or in my case it's more like eight times bitten.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 16:57:27 »

I really think the experience can vary a lot. My old BlackWidow Ultimate has never missed a beat, and feels a little better made than my older Das Ultimate, although the keycaps are really crappy.

Having said that, my Razer Imperator mouse, while great when it works properly, sometimes gets all bugged up and one axis will stop responding intermittently.

I think that the BW Tournament edition is pretty well made at a decent enough price.

What I have to give at least some credit to Razer for, though, is that they actually made the BWU widely available so I could try out a mechanical board in person. Back when I started, this was important to me, as I could try MX Blue and MX Brown in person at my local BestBuy. Now, the computer stores stock even more types of mechanical boards, which is great, but I have to give a nod to the ones who were there early on.

I still use my BWU with MX Blue, despite also having many other boards, and I probably will continue to as it's not as bad as all that. I'm sure Razer quality can be bad on some product, and their marketing is certainly questionable, but I do think that it's the "in thing" to hate on Razer, if my experience is any indication.

Well there's the differentiation where people hate it for a reason while others hate it because the original people hate it.
As an audiophile I regularly have to deal with companies pushing out cheap gimmicky **** (especially in the headset realm)(and a lot of Gaming companies do this, Razer being one of them)
I understand very well that some people hate something for the sake of being like everyone else. Beats by derp are a good example.

Though there's always some truth to all of it and it's that the original haters voiced their opinions for reasons, such as beats by derp being flimsy in build quality and sub par in overall sound quality to headphones half the price.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 19:20:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

I appreciate your civil and insightful response. I will indeed do some scouring. But if anytime was the time to be suckered by razer's marketing it's now. They are claiming to have improved cherry's switch for gaming especially with their green switch but only in the  2014 edition. I just discovered a love of the orange switch. Still can't get frag1lity's complete turnaround. He may be a she who loves red switches.

I already have access to custom accentuation here at GH, so having options for various pressures doesn't draw me in. The fact that they made a clone of Cherry MX switches and "improved" them under Razer branding is certainly not enticing. Cherry MX clones have been around for awhile. The orange, by the way, would be the one to compare to red, not green. Green is more tactile than orange (they refer to this is clicky vs silent). They also claim that their lifespan is 40 million keystrokes greater than Cherry, but the fact is that Cherry switches last up to 50 million keystrokes and if Razer has produced a quality product that outdoes that slightly, I would be surprised, given that most of the plastic they use isn't very strong, from my experience. I would be willing to give their switches a chance, if they hold up. However, they are proprietary to the Black Widow at this point and I have small hands. Compact TKL boards are my home.
c h e r

Offline silas1128

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 21:20:13 »
Hmm, I've had my Razer BWU, Kraken headset, and deathadder for like a year with heavy use. Not a single issue with any of it.. And the stuff takes a beating... Maybe I'm just lucky??

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 21:22:33 »
Hmm, I've had my Razer BWU, Kraken headset, and deathadder for like a year with heavy use. Not a single issue with any of it.. And the stuff takes a beating... Maybe I'm just lucky??

That's what I'm thinking...I've never had an issue with a single razer product...I must either really take care of my stuff, or be an outlier. Then again, I haven't owned one of their keyboards since my lycosa, and that ended when I came to college.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |