Author Topic: Is this VPN a good option?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Is this VPN a good option?
« on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 10:38:33 »
Anyone know if this is a worthwhile service? Or is it crap? Opinions? I'm reading the comments, but don't have experience with various service types. It's provided by Simplex and can be used on mobile devices as well as desk units. $19 for 3 years and 5 devices sounds way cheap and I'm wondering if this is a good value?

Deal expires about 9pm PST Oct 16.
https://deals.tuaw.com/sales/vpn-unlimited-premium-plan-3-years-of-hacker-protection-more
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Is this VPN a good option?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:21:51 »
What is your goal of having a VPN?  Protection while downloading certain files?  Accessing foreign websites as if you are a resident there?

Regardless of your intent, it does seem very cheap.  I've only used VPNs for work and other non-illegal purposes, so I'm not the best person to ask anyway, but I do think that clarifying your intent will help.   :thumb:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:24:49 »
I don't know about that pareticulated software, but I've never had a problem with the free version of cyberghost. But for the services you get that looks like a really good deal
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:48:12 »
If i can make a suggestion, privateinternetaccess.com is an excellent vpn. I routinely have over 100mb connection, which is twice my service plan. You can also pay with gift cards from other companys. In two years i have never had any issues and they have exit nodes in many european, asian countries  and US cities.  Canada, UK, Switzerland, Netherlands, Sweden, France, German, Romania, and Hong Kong.

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-services-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2014-edition-140315/
eh o well

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 14:29:15 »
2 responses:

1-Yea, clarifying intent is an accurate question. Not looking for speed to download Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I'm thinking of when using wi-fi in a public place with (i.e.: iPad/Macbook Pro/iPhone to check email/banking/posting on GH). The wi-fi on my iPhone 4 is broken and I have unlimited data with ATT, so I have not concerned myself with using wi-fi and also not too worried about security when checking banking via cellular. When I receive the iPhone 6+ I don't know what motivation I'll have to use wi-fi publicly since I have unlimited data. I currently use about 7-8gb/mo. I'll use even more with new phone since my GPS is also broken, LOL

2-NNNOOOO I'm not looking at this to download "illegal" content, I do that over regular home internet connection. One Comcast letter didn't phase me. So you guys can relax, my basketball sized titanium balls are out there 100%.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 14:31:29 »
2 responses:

1-Yea, clarifying intent is an accurate question. Not looking for speed to download Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I'm thinking of when using wi-fi in a public place with (i.e.: iPad/Macbook Pro/iPhone to check email/banking/posting on GH). The wi-fi on my iPhone 4 is broken and I have unlimited data with ATT, so I have not concerned myself with using wi-fi and also not too worried about security when checking banking via cellular. When I receive the iPhone 6+ I don't know what motivation I'll have to use wi-fi publicly since I have unlimited data. I currently use about 7-8gb/mo. I'll use even more with new phone since my GPS is also broken, LOL

2-NNNOOOO I'm not looking at this to download "illegal" content, I do that over regular home internet connection. One Comcast letter didn't phase me. So you guys can relax, my basketball sized titanium balls are out there 100%.

just setup ur own vpn.

if you have a modern PC, there's no way paying for vpn will exceed the electric bills.

Offline tracyleon

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 09:34:45 »
More
I think you are not aware with the value of any vpn tool... I will suggest you to just experience this beautiful and useful tool once. I am living in us and using Ipvanish which is a paid tool and trust me this is really an awesome tool i have ever experienced. There are many best vpn for us or uk you can find for your best.

MODERATION NOTE: User was muted and warned for this spam post.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2015, 06:21:29 by infiniti »

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 09:46:40 »
what are you, a crimester?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 09:50:33 »
I think you are not aware with the value of any vpn tool... I will suggest you to just experience this beautiful and useful tool once. I am living in us and using Ipvanish which is a paid tool and trust me this is really an awesome tool i have ever experienced. There are many best vpn for us or uk you can find for your best.

MOD EDIT: Removed spam url.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2015, 06:22:33 by infiniti »
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 09:55:09 »
Sounds like you don't really need a vpn at all then. You cancelled out the 3 best reasons to have one at all... use of potentially risky public wifi or public machines like libraries/internet cafe etc, hiding your ip from copyright trolls, or accessing country specific content. If you're not concerned about those 3 things might as well spend that money on basically anything else.