Author Topic: Theiving Bastards  (Read 6279 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Theiving Bastards
« on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 10:21:09 »
No, not here. IRL.

Sometime between Friday evening and Saturday evening, someone broke into my pickup and stole about $3200 of my personal property. I had left my backpack in the back seat, with my laptop, Chromebook, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, external HD, and about 20 USB sticks. I had also left my OnePlus One in the console, and they got that, as well as my Oakley prescription sunglasses, and a Bark River Bushcrafter knife.

It's not the items stolen that makes me mad, but the fact that someone would come onto my driveway outside my home and violate my personal domain. This sucks, and I'm pissed off. There were photos on the external HD that I'm not sure I have backed up anywhere else. >:(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline nuclearsandwich

Re: Theiving Bastards
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 10:23:33 »
Dude that totally sucks :(

I'm sorry to hear that. One time my cousin's  bag was stolen from her car, and a week later I got a call because someone found her e-reader under a bush in their yard. A bit of combing around that neighborhood yielded almost everything in the bag except for cash and credit cards.

<3

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 10:39:54 »
I'm so sorry. The monetary loss plus feelings of being violated suck. Hope life gets better for you.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 10:40:13 »
Ouch. Sorry to hear that, bro. Best thing to do in this instance, would be motion detecting flood lights and maybe a faux (or real) camera out front. Usually that is more than enough to deter thieves.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 10:40:26 »
That sucks! :( Anything we can do to help you in your current situation?
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 10:53:38 »
goddamn. i hope you recover your possessions, especially your digital data. losing things like personal photos without having backups is a major downer.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:00:53 »
That sucks, dude.

I hope they find the guy.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:18:40 »
wonder if car insurance covers that. or home insurance, since it was in the driveway.

mayyybe you could turn the stuff off remotely unless the hackers already disabled the tracking.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:20:53 »
Good lord. Man, i've had my car broken into three times, and every time it's no less violating and infuriating. I'm on your wavelength JD, it's one of the sourest feelings in the world to feel utter distrust in your own species. Internet bro hug  :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:24:44 »
I will most likely be okay, since I will be claiming the loss on my homeowners insurance policy. My deductible is $1500, but at least I can recover about half that way.

Also, the joke is on the thieves, because most of what they took can be locked remotely. Once they charge the iPad, it will connect to the wireless broadband network and lock itself down. Not sure if the OPO will lock itself down on instructions from the mobile carrier (T-Mobile), but I tried, and the SIM is of course deactivated. While the sunglasses were an expensive purchase for me a few years ago, the majority of that was for the prescription lenses. Good luck wearing those if you have perfect vision!

Thanks for the words of support. I just needed to rant about it. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:31:03 »
No offense but having all those things in your car is just begging for a break-in. Sucks that it happened, but it's like bate having all those electronics in there.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:35:23 »
The sad part is that the final monetary value to anyone else in the world, but you, is very small.

Such a lame and pathetic way to scrounge a few pennies on the dollars that you cost someone else.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:39:43 »
No offense but having all those things in your car is just begging for a break-in. Sucks that it happened, but it's like bate having all those electronics in there.
The way I read it is they were in a backpack, not exactly on display.

Sad that people have to be so dumb and steal things.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:42:46 »

Yeah, you're right. I'm not doing that again. It was just a bad circumstance that I had my backpack with all my electronic gear in the truck on Halloween night. Around here, parents load up their kids in their cars and take them around to different neighborhoods to do the trick or treating. So to anyone in the neighborhood, a vehicle pulling up on the street and people walking up to people's driveways wouldn't be out of place. I didn't even think of that when my family and I left the house to go to one of my wife's friend's houses. I know my truck was locked (I always lock it), but nothing was broken, so all I can think is that they must have used a slim jim to gain entry.

in memoriam

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:43:57 »

Yeah, you're right. I'm not doing that again. It was just a bad circumstance that I had my backpack with all my electronic gear in the truck on Halloween night. Around here, parents load up their kids in their cars and take them around to different neighborhoods to do the trick or treating. So to anyone in the neighborhood, a vehicle pulling up on the street and people walking up to people's driveways wouldn't be out of place. I didn't even think of that when my family and I left the house to go to one of my wife's friend's houses. I know my truck was locked (I always lock it), but nothing was broken, so all I can think is that they must have used a slim jim to gain entry.

At least you don't have to pay for a new window, then.

/s
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:48:04 »
At least you don't have to pay for a new window, then.

/s

Actually, I am thankful for that. No one was hurt, the truck doesn't appear damaged, and property can be replaced. It sucks that some scumbag stole my stuff, but things could be worse.

in memoriam

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:49:19 »
Damn, sorry to hear that JD..

My cousin has a really nice security camera system. So if something is broken into, he can just replay footage. Who knows if it will be enough to catch them. But good idea for sure..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:49:30 »

Spamray has never pirated a movie EVER?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:50:23 »

Thats a bit different then personal objects, dont even start man..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:52:21 »

No reason to between amazon prime and Netflix there is always something on.

But on topic glad nothing was damaged on the truck.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 12:07:15 »
Ouch. Sorry to hear that, bro. Best thing to do in this instance, would be motion detecting flood lights and maybe a faux (or real) camera out front. Usually that is more than enough to deter thieves.

Came here to say this. I have a 4 camera infrared home surveillance system that cost less than $200 excluding the HDD. The cameras are clearly visible even at night thanks to the faint glow of the infrared light rings. It might be worthwhile to invest in something like this. I have had packages disappear off my porch before but magically, as soon as there were visible cameras, I haven't lost a single package.

Regardless, sorry to hear about your loss. Only bottom-feeders steal from another person. Sounds like you've got a handle on things and a positive outlook but if there's anything I can do to help out let me know. Here's hoping karma catches the ****-birds that stole from you with their pants down.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 12:08:23 »

Thats a bit different then personal objects, dont even start man..

i don't disagree on the severity..

however.. I say I'm offsetting the costs of movie production, as I did pay for the bandwidth and storage medium..

the thieves could also say they are offsetting the costs of living, by buying the slimjim and signing up for assassins creed afk classes..

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 12:27:19 »
omfg this is one of the few times ive genuinely cared because that **** is 100% of pretty much everything i dont want stolen the most and that must suck a lot for you
i hope you carpet bomb them
or hit them in the shins with a model m
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 12:47:56 »

No reason to between amazon prime and Netflix there is always something on.

But on topic glad nothing was damaged on the truck.

Same here! Gotta love streaming!

Came here to say this. I have a 4 camera infrared home surveillance system that cost less than $200 excluding the HDD. The cameras are clearly visible even at night thanks to the faint glow of the infrared light rings. It might be worthwhile to invest in something like this. I have had packages disappear off my porch before but magically, as soon as there were visible cameras, I haven't lost a single package.

Regardless, sorry to hear about your loss. Only bottom-feeders steal from another person. Sounds like you've got a handle on things and a positive outlook but if there's anything I can do to help out let me know. Here's hoping karma catches the ****-birds that stole from you with their pants down.

Now that sounds like a nice system!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 17:23:30 »

they sell moch cameras on ebay..  it's just a dud with an led.

Offline scubaste

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 17:33:36 »
This really sucks man, I had a similar thing occur several years back and it really is a feeling of immense violation. Might want to let your neighbors know if you havent already. These sort of things rarely occur randomly and often in area where the thief feels comfortable. Stay safe!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 17:48:53 »
This really sucks man, I had a similar thing occur several years back and it really is a feeling of immense violation. Might want to let your neighbors know if you havent already. These sort of things rarely occur randomly and often in area where the thief feels comfortable. Stay safe!

Hell maybe they did it.. !!! 

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 17:51:56 »
I will most likely be okay, since I will be claiming the loss on my homeowners insurance policy. My deductible is $1500, but at least I can recover about half that way.

Also, the joke is on the thieves, because most of what they took can be locked remotely. Once they charge the iPad, it will connect to the wireless broadband network and lock itself down. Not sure if the OPO will lock itself down on instructions from the mobile carrier (T-Mobile), but I tried, and the SIM is of course deactivated. While the sunglasses were an expensive purchase for me a few years ago, the majority of that was for the prescription lenses. Good luck wearing those if you have perfect vision!

Thanks for the words of support. I just needed to rant about it. :)

Hey, sorry to hear about the break-in.  Crime sucks.  I live in NYC, so I know about car break-ins.  They will break in and steal a gum wrapper if they see something shiny through the window.  Only thing to do now is exhaust all avenues of insurance.  Homeowner's policy is good, but as you found out, it has a high deductible.  Next, try your car insurance, then see if you have any theft protection on your credit cards, assuming you bought any of the stolen items with a credit card.  And finally, hopefully you have vision coverage through your health insurance that will replace the stolen RX glasses.  If not, you might have to wait until the coverage period starts again.  Or you should opt for the vision coverage in December, or w/e your open enrollment period starts.  Anyway, say goodbye to the old stuff, and start looking forward to getting new, and better stuff!  Everything can be replaced or improved, except of course the photo's, which sux.  But next time don't keep stuff in the car, even in front of your house, and back up them pics!
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline RED-404

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 17:55:02 »
That sucks man.

Now I have to ask am I the only one that doesn't leave anything in my car???

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 17:55:41 »
Man that sucks so much. So sorry to hear that. Back Well at least those electronic gadgets you could remotely lock them & make a police report.
Home in my country (Malaysia), robbers tend to target people who puts stuffs at the back of their car. So I'm always super careful.
Anyways, hope you can recoup most of your losses  :'(
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 20:45:02 »
And finally, hopefully you have vision coverage through your health insurance that will replace the stolen RX glasses.  If not, you might have to wait until the coverage period starts again.  Or you should opt for the vision coverage in December, or w/e your open enrollment period starts.  Anyway, say goodbye to the old stuff, and start looking forward to getting new, and better stuff!  Everything can be replaced or improved, except of course the photo's, which sux.  But next time don't keep stuff in the car, even in front of your house, and back up them pics!

I just get a few spares from zenni to tide me over while I'm waiting for more Luxottica monopoly insurance covered goodness.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:30:38 »
That sucks JD, it's terrible to lose stuff like this.

Warm wishes and remember - what goes around comes right back around.

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=thdvb8ng2emmm2tgv0k1hnh0uero0e22&topic=63161.0
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 12:50:05 »
So sad to hear that. Wish you will getting better.
I believe when bad things happen, good things will also come. So you don't need to sad.
Good luck!
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 12:57:12 »

Now, I live in a college town so it may be a bit different here, but I've heard a few times, that: if you leave a backpack visible in your car, you will be broken into because the thieves assume you have college books in there, which can be traded back at the bookstore for cash, no questions asked.

A friend lost his DnD campaign notebook, several pencils, a lengthy character sheet, and the matching minature (painted by said friend) because someone broke in, took the backpack, and left everything else. He was only parked in that complex's lot an hour to begin with, too ...

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 12:58:41 »

Now, I live in a college town so it may be a bit different here, but I've heard a few times, that: if you leave a backpack visible in your car, you will be broken into because the thieves assume you have college books in there, which can be traded back at the bookstore for cash, no questions asked.

A friend lost his DnD campaign notebook, several pencils, a lengthy character sheet, and the matching minature (painted by said friend) because someone broke in, took the backpack, and left everything else. He was only parked in that complex's lot an hour to begin with, too ...

Pretty much this in my town. Doesn't matter what else is in the car, they're only going to go for the bag and nothing else as they don't want to be around long enough to get caught.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 13:05:27 »
ya, living in NYC has conditioned me to not leave anything visible while on the car....i had someone break my passenger window for my POS GPS unit since i left the suction cup on the windows.

This was like 5 yrs ago when the unit was like $100.00 on a black friday sale.  It was also off by like 40 ft lol.
****ing window replacement/cleanup cost more than the unit.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 15:10:15 »
I put anything under some furniture moving blankets so it's not visible. Since there's no interior panels or anything in the car anyway there's lots of little cubbyholes to put stuff. Also, the hope is that people will notice that there's not even panels in the car and assume that I don't keep anything else in there either (which is basically also true.)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 15:23:34 »
:(  Sorry you had to deal with this, JD.  That's really ****ty, and I can't imagine losing photos like that.  I know your thoughts on money and items, so I know you'll be alright, but still - that sucks.

Seems like you're already taking a positive outlook on this, so that's good at least.  :) 

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 17:48:00 »
ya, living in NYC has conditioned me to not leave anything visible while on the car....i had someone break my passenger window for my POS GPS unit since i left the suction cup on the windows.

This was like 5 yrs ago when the unit was like $100.00 on a black friday sale.  It was also off by like 40 ft lol.
****ing window replacement/cleanup cost more than the unit.
Yeah, I had my truck broken into about a month after moving to Nashville, and the thief broke my door handle (thankfully not the window) to steal the one thing in my car: an ancient CD player that worked about half the time. I had literally nothing else in the truck (apart from an owner's manual) and the burned CD that was in the CD player.

People suck.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 18:12:47 by slip84 »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 18:12:31 »
I can empathize with the lost of data, it's always more important to me than the actual hardware, due to the amount of time we all spend creating those datas.

Sorry to hear, hope you manage to recover the stuff.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 18:21:25 »
So sorry to hear this, jd.

Glad you are able to go through your homeowner's and get some of it back.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline feizor

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 18:46:03 »
I've had my car broken into as well. Although all that was stolen was some rayban sunglasses, the thief tried to actually steal my car and did about $2000 of damage to the car's panels and ignition system.

I feel for you bro. It was probably done by some punk ass kids who were bored.

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 21:21:02 »
Sounds like you could use this:

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline feizor

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 21:44:09 »

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 13:01:39 »
I put anything under some furniture moving blankets so it's not visible. Since there's no interior panels or anything in the car anyway there's lots of little cubbyholes to put stuff. Also, the hope is that people will notice that there's not even panels in the car and assume that I don't keep anything else in there either (which is basically also true.)

What are you driving?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 13:51:12 »
I learned this lesson early on in life. My (then gf) and i parked opposite a police station parking lot, i'm serious, if i had a bit of phelm i could have spit on the station doorsteps. We left our bags on the passenger side, like always. Afterwards, window was broken into and our bookbags gone. Yea this was in early 2000, before electronics were really that portable. (you had to be really well off to have a lap top back then) So they just stole all our college books, and notes and ****. and gym clothes, literally walked across the street and reported it to the police.

Thieves are scum and will steal anything, anywhere, even 1 block away from a police station!

Ever since then we always put anything, ANYTHING of value in the trunk, when we had early GPS we took the whole thing, suction cup and all down and put it in the glove box, everytime, there's no money or change in the holder, our cars are clean as hell. (so they don't snoop around to see what they can steal)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 14:41:03 »
Ever since then we always put anything, ANYTHING of value in the trunk, when we had early GPS we took the whole thing, suction cup and all down and put it in the glove box, everytime, there's no money or change in the holder, our cars are clean as hell. (so they don't snoop around to see what they can steal)

Just a word of warning.  If you are going to put things in your trunk, I advise you to do so before you arrive at your destination or in a verrryyy inconspicuous manner.  Some friends of mine did that after parking in Chicago and their trunk was popped open when they got back, since everyone saw them put the items back there (and the trunk was easier to break into, to boot (heh pun)).  Seriously though, plan ahead and be careful.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 20:10:41 »
America is really a paradise for criminals.

Here in Singapore the government has to run ads to remind people to be wary of criminals.

Car break ins are rare here; it's more like you piss someone off by the way you walk or talk or park, and they scratch your car when your back is turned. That's why most people are polite as hell in the parking lots.

Seems as though the only real way to deter criminals invading your truck parked on your own front lawn, is to install a big sign saying

NRA Member for Life lives here. Owns 50 guns. I will Stand My Ground..
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 20:15:34 »
America is really a paradise for criminals.

Here in Singapore the government has to run ads to remind people to be wary of criminals.

Car break ins are rare here; it's more like you piss someone off by the way you walk or talk or park, and they scratch your car when your back is turned. That's why most people are polite as hell in the parking lots.

Seems as though the only real way to deter criminals invading your truck parked on your own front lawn, is to install a big sign saying

NRA Member for Life lives here. Owns 50 guns. I will Stand My Ground..

But then they will just wait until you are out of the house, and break in and steal all your guns.

Believe me, if I had heard anything when the burglary occurred, the perpetrator would have been staring down the barrel of a 12-gauge shotgun. Loaded alternately with 00-buckshot and 1-oz rifled slugs.

in memoriam

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 21:00:01 »
Lava pit with lava fiends and pterodactyls flying overhead.

Cause you know, humans suck and you gotta keep em away with whatever you can.

No, seriously though -- that sucks. All I can say is keep your stuff on you at all times and never leave things in your car, don't leave it unlocked and don't think it is safe...even in your driveway.

Too many rich neighborhoods have people who become lazy and complacent, trusting, leaving their keys in their cars and their garage doors open all day or night; ridiculous.

The amount of stuff you lost though, it makes me think somebody had to of known you were moving that amount of stuff or saw you stash it (or whatever). That is ridiculous and hard to accept that it is just "coincidence" that they just happened to strike your vehicle the day/night you put all of your things into it.

Way too fishy if you ask  me.
The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.