Author Topic: Speakers / Audio question thread  (Read 1747 times)

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
  • Java programming and fancy key caps!
    • Elsea Labs
Speakers / Audio question thread
« on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 21:54:44 »
Hello. Since I'm already here for the keyboards, I figure I'd ask this question here.

I love music and listen to it almost constantly in my dorm room, or while doing homework, or walking somewhere, etc, but I have never really ventured into high quality sound systems, and I think this Christmas is the time for me to do that. But the problem is that I don't know much about it.

I liked my current sound system a lot. It sounded pretty good, even better than the Bose sound system my parents have at home that I have always assumed was good. I looked for a brand name on my speakers, but couldn't find one, or even a product number, so I have no idea what they are. It has a subwoofer and two speakers that hooked into the back of the subwoofer. But when one of the speakers broke, and I was stuck using on the right speaker, the experience was completely ruined. So I am in the market for something new, and something good.

Pics of my current system with the sad one speaker: https://imgur.com/a/H4tQQ

I don't even know where to start. I also don't know what amps or dacs or the stuff I see other people talking about, so I don't really know what I could get. I need to stay under $200. I could go over if I really need to, but it would really be pushing my budget for Christmas. I love well placed bass, but I do not like it when the bass is overbearing. I listen to all types of music, but mostly heavy electronic. So I would need something that is good for the weird sounds of electronic.

These seem to be the most purchased on Amazon, and the thing I was looking at buying, but I do not know if that necessarily means good. http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM64

Elsea Keys - Artisan key caps, keyboards, custom painting - Click any image to purchase or view

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: Speakers / Audio question thread
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 22:37:59 »
I used AV 40s for a long time.  The only thing I would say is get them high enough where they have a more direct line to your ears if you get them.  Other options that are decent are the audioengine a2, polk t15 and for the really budget friendly, dayton b652 (I don't think the last two are powered though, so you might have to rig it to work with your sub).

Otherwise, if you can stretch your budget, look at the emotive airmotiv 4s or  focal xs book. Or if you can get lucky, a used pair of either.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 22:45:27 »
I used AV 40s for a long time.  The only thing I would say is get them high enough where they have a more direct line to your ears if you get them.  Other options that are decent are the audioengine a2, polk t15 and for the really budget friendly, dayton b652 (I don't think the last two are powered though, so you might have to rig it to work with your sub).

Otherwise, if you can stretch your budget, look at the emotive airmotiv 4s or  focal xs book. Or if you can get lucky, a used pair of either.

Work with my sub? What do you mean? These monitors that I would buy would work with the subwoofer that I already have? I think it's specifically for the sound system that I already have. I thought I could hook these speakers directly up to the back of my computer? Will those monitor speaker things not have bass if I buy them and use them as is?

Can I use speakers like this without a subwoofer, or do I also have to buy a subwoofer?

Here is a picture of the back of my subwoofer. The red cord hook to a little control thing with volume and bass sliders.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 November 2014, 22:51:27 by connorelsea »

Elsea Keys - Artisan key caps, keyboards, custom painting - Click any image to purchase or view

Offline blackbox

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 01:22:14 »

Work with my sub? What do you mean? These monitors that I would buy would work with the subwoofer that I already have? I think it's specifically for the sound system that I already have. I thought I could hook these speakers directly up to the back of my computer? Will those monitor speaker things not have bass if I buy them and use them as is?

Can I use speakers like this without a subwoofer, or do I also have to buy a subwoofer?

Here is a picture of the back of my subwoofer. The red cord hook to a little control thing with volume and bass sliders.
Show Image

As far as i can see he did not mention the subwoofer. You do not need a subwoofer to get the options he specified to work. You do not need a subwoofer either.  The subwoofer can physically be used with the new speaker. But i highly recommend not to do that(because its tweaked for the speakers it came with and does most likely not match with the new speakers).
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 19:57:52 »

Show Image

As far as i can see he did not mention the subwoofer. You do not need a subwoofer to get the options he specified to work. You do not need a subwoofer either.  The subwoofer can physically be used with the new speaker. But i highly recommend not to do that(because its tweaked for the speakers it came with and does most likely not match with the new speakers).

Um....

that's not completely righ..  if you get big enough front stereo.. then just set the cut off for the sub at 50hz and lower..

That way.. it doesn't really matter  what subs you get..  because Subs have immense sonic distortion no matter what quality, price..

It's only when  the Front stereo is very SMALL do they need a sub to go up to maybe 100-150hz..

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 20:31:51 »

Show Image

What I meant was instead of having to buy an amplifier to power the speakers as well as the speakers, you might find that the amp used in your subwoofer that's powering what you have now might be usable with other speakers.  You'd just have to have the speakers terminated in that rca plug for it to work right.  Powered sets, you don't have to worry about doing that as they're already amplified.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 23:28:46 »
Would the M-AUDIO speakers sound fine without a sub woofer?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 23:36:21 »

They were alright on their own.  I think they start to roll off around 80hz

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 23:41:15 »

They were alright on their own.  I think they start to roll off around 80hz

Sorry for the ignorance haha, but any idea what I'd google to know what you just said means? I just want to know if my music would sound good or not. I just don't really know the resources to learn. Sorry.