Author Topic: Are you a pill popper?  (Read 21748 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Are you a pill popper?
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:40:06 »
I heard boneless chicken farms are especially awesome

is this a real thing... i've googled it before, seems not possible.

sarcasm is very much a real thing

http://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/boneless-skinless-chicken-breast-farm
With the state of stupidity in our society right now I am not convinced that sort of sarcasm is not taken seriously. Sad day...

At least the beef we were eating until we recently ran out came from a bull who lived in a field behind our house.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:47:54 »

http://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/boneless-skinless-chicken-breast-farm
With the state of stupidity in our society right now I am not convinced that sort of sarcasm is not taken seriously. Sad day...

At least the beef we were eating until we recently ran out came from a bull who lived in a field behind our house.

What?

I'm talking about growing meat in petri-dishes,  You guys want to talk about the state of stupidity in the world?

Fine,

Let me enlighten you then..   EVERYONE is exactly as -smart- as they're supposed to be..

The world is wholly deterministic..   Choices are but the momentary recollection of fallen dominos..

Swill, you live in negligence of reality pretending to be better than those around you, how foolish..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:48:53 »

What?

I'm talking about growing meat in petri-dishes,  You guys want to talk about the state of stupidity in the world?

Fine,

Let me enlighten you then..   EVERYONE is exactly as -smart- as they're supposed to be..

The world is wholly deterministic..   Choices are but the momentary recollection of fallen dominos..

Swill, you live in negligence of reality pretending to be better than those around you, how foolish..

Oh so like one day we will have meat pills that are actually synthetically grown so we no longer have to chew, sounds reasonable.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:50:37 »

What?

Fine,

Oh so like one day we will have meat pills that are actually synthetically grown so we no longer have to chew, sounds reasonable.

well we already have very good protein and other isolates.. 

The problem is no one knows "FOR SURE" how much all this "nutrition" a person actually needs.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:51:29 »

What?

Fine,

No. I grew up raising everything that provided for me on a self sufficient farm without electricity or running water.

I am baffled by the state of society and how little people actually care. :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:58:16 »

What?

Fine,

No. I grew up raising everything that provided for me on a self sufficient farm without electricity or running water.

how little people actually care about "what"..

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 22:23:15 »

What they put in their bodies.  Where their food comes from.  What horrible things the animals go through who are feeding them.  How much of a natural disaster our farming practices are now days.  That monsanto can even exist and do what they do and people just don't care...  I find it scary...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 23:05:35 »

What they put in their bodies.  Where their food comes from.  What horrible things the animals go through who are feeding them.  How much of a natural disaster our farming practices are now days.  That monsanto can even exist and do what they do and people just don't care...  I find it scary...

Let me clear up some misconceptions for you swill..

First. there is no official oppressor of mankind..  Downward controlling pressure exerted by governments and corporations is a natural organizational phenomenon.

They HAVE TO exist in the way that they do, because if you leave it up to a "vote" nothing would get done..

The entire democratic process is merely an inclination.. One day when each individual transcends being merely human, transcends our very limited capacities (slow information processing speed), then perhaps we'd have the time to poll everything..

Governments and Corporations   ARE PEOPLE...   they're not the fat mosquitoes sucking the blood of the proletariat..

Now.. the People's health..

Truth is, it doesn't matter that people are dying.. as long as there are replacements.. haha.. this matter is far less sinister than it sounds.. I realize you must think I'm a psychopath for writing that..

We humans are procreative beings.. therein lies our immortality..  Individual health is important yes, but only to the extent that we are Productive throughout our peak physical age..

What happens after age 60, well,  if we were playing civ, and they simulated aged units..  most players would probably click delete-unit.. Hahaha...

Even with the modern afflictions of the Murica' diet..  it's enough to get most people working decent till retirement..

Natural disasters:..

We really have not seen any cataclysmic potential as the result of our earthly influence... Sure it may get smoggy and the ozone hole, yea... that's all bad..  but you must see that.. we are to evolve AWAY from being the flesh that cares about such things..

Once we have enough processing power to produce sustaining consciousness..  That is the natural conclusion to humanity as is..

and we MUST run towards this As soon as possible..   Any ol' thing from space can destroy ALL LIFE as we know it..

if what's important to you is more than a tombstone that says "man was here", then our life must progress beyond this rock and beyond our frail selves.. If we must scourge the surface to do it..  So be it.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 23:08:55 »
Omg I make one little joke and then board a plane. Land and the forum is on fire! You guys are so awesome and funny. I'm so thankful for this community.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline tbc

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 23:10:08 »

What?

Fine,

i would rather die.

are people do lazy they can't be bothered to chew?  or is it a modern groupthink where food is 'the enemy'?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 23:20:01 »

What?

Fine,

i would rather die.

are people do lazy they can't be bothered to chew?  or is it a modern groupthink where food is 'the enemy'?

no one said food is the enemy..

food pill is inherently attractive to those who recognize that any and all food serves as fuel.. It is the modern awareness of our biological machine that has taught us this..

Food as it-Was, has many connotations, family, love, unity, poison-detection, nutrition..

As our pursuits and definitions of "those" things change..  as does our desire for what we want OUT OF our food..

For me personally..  I really don't care for food.. I have millions of options to fill my time with.. EATING is the last thing I care about.. If I didn't have to do it, I wouldn't....

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 23:27:54 »

First. there is no official oppressor of mankind..  Downward controlling pressure exerted by governments and corporations is a natural organizational phenomenon.

They HAVE TO exist in the way that they do, because if you leave it up to a "vote" nothing would get done..

The entire democratic process is merely an inclination.. One day when each individual transcends being merely human, transcends our very limited capacities (slow information processing speed), then perhaps we'd have the time to poll everything..

Governments and Corporations   ARE PEOPLE...   they're not the fat mosquitoes sucking the blood of the proletariat..

Truth is, it doesn't matter that people are dying.. as long as there are replacements.. haha.. this matter is far less sinister than it sounds.. I realize you must think I'm a psychopath for writing that..

We humans are procreative beings.. therein lies our immortality..  Individual health is important yes, but only to the extent that we are Productive throughout our peak physical age..

What happens after age 60, well,  if we were playing civ, and they simulated aged units..  most players would probably click delete-unit.. Hahaha...

Even with the modern afflictions of the Murica' diet..  it's enough to get most people working decent till retirement..

We really have not seen any cataclysmic potential as the result of our earthly influence... Sure it may get smoggy and the ozone hole, yea... that's all bad..  but you must see that.. we are to evolve AWAY from being the flesh that cares about such things..

Once we have enough processing power to produce sustaining consciousness..  That is the natural conclusion to humanity as is..

and we MUST run towards this As soon as possible..   Any ol' thing from space can destroy ALL LIFE as we know it..

if what's important to you is more than a tombstone that says "man was here", then our life must progress beyond this rock and beyond our frail selves.. If we must scourge the surface to do it..  So be it.

I guess ignorance is bliss, because you my friend have it in spades...  I on the other hand would like to leave a world to my children that I could still be proud of.  To that end, I will do what I can and ignore such stupidness...

Offline tbc

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 23:28:03 »

What?

Fine,

i would rather die.

food pill is inherently attractive to those who recognize that any and all food serves as fuel.. It is the modern awareness of our biological machine that has taught us this..

Food as it-Was, has many connotations, family, love, unity, poison-detection, nutrition..

As our pursuits and definitions of "those" things change..  as does our desire for what we want OUT OF our food..

For me personally..  I really don't care for food.. I have millions of options to fill my time with.. EATING is the last thing I care about.. If I didn't have to do it, I wouldn't....

why do you always write so much...

you could have just said lazy
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 23:31:56 »

I hear you there buddy!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 00:31:25 »

I guess ignorance is bliss, because you my friend have it in spades...  I on the other hand would like to leave a world to my children that I could still be proud of.  To that end, I will do what I can and ignore such stupidness...

I am only ignorant in the sense that I can not possibly be cognizant of all things.

You're a very narrow thinker and seem perpetually limited by obsolete references..

Leaving a world for you're children.. being proud..  those are emotionally charged memories momentarily lived in retrospect.. and that is ALL that they are..

Once you leave, you have nothing, that includes your children.. be it their death or yours...

Stupid-ness.. Again, i'm not omniscent, but if all you have is name calling.. well, it's not like I expected much possible objection to my concord logic.

TP4 declares Victory... Yet again.. TP4 is great..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 00:33:06 »

What?

Fine,

i would rather die.

why do you always write so much...

you could have just said lazy

Bro, it just comes out..  If I must explain it, it has to do with the Egdx greatly increasing my 1-ness with the PC..  it takes no time at all for my thoughts to transfer onto the page..

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 01:47:16 »

i would rather die.

Food pills have always interested me .
Hear me out , I like food a lot , family dinners and thing .
But on a daily basis , when I have little time and eat basic food to keep the body running , I wouldn't mind food pills .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 02:26:39 »
The caps are probably made from gelatine, which is not vegetarian .... ;)
Being a vegetarian I tend to avoid gelatine unless it is real medicine, I.e. pain killer, antibiotics, etc.

I'm vegetarian, however I'm not super strict about it, I've accepted that I might need to consume gelatine and some other similar products which come from animals, however I refuse to consume any form of meat.

I understand the whole cruelty towards animals and it is one of the reasons why I don't eat any meat, but from my experience, it is very hard to convince a non-vegetarian person of the same, so I don't bother being a part of those arguments. We can't deny the fact that humans were designed to be omnivores, however modern farming practices are so cruel to animals, it's become hard for many to overlook this.

Offline iri

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 03:18:02 »
But on a daily basis , when I have little time and eat basic food to keep the body running , I wouldn't mind food pills .
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 03:19:50 »
can't resist

I live in Kansas and not the small part with Google fiber.
The weatherman says **** it its Kansas.
It looks like the African Savanna, but without all the cool ****.
The best internet I can get involves a 60ft tower and only gets 300kbps on a good day well its the best I can get without paying $48,0000.
I have to drive 35min just to get gas, not due to traffic, there is no traffic.

On the upside, one day I woke up made a fresh pot of coffee opened the back door and shot a deer.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 03:50:24 »
Yeah , i imagined I would be trolled about that .
Keep in mind that I'm a young man . So cooking is never on my priorities list , it's a task to me .
Liking eating great food and liking cooking is two seperates things .

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 07:40:59 »
The caps are probably made from gelatine, which is not vegetarian .... ;)
Being a vegetarian I tend to avoid gelatine unless it is real medicine, I.e. pain killer, antibiotics, etc.

I'm vegetarian, however I'm not super strict about it, I've accepted that I might need to consume gelatine and some other similar products which come from animals, however I refuse to consume any form of meat.

I understand the whole cruelty towards animals and it is one of the reasons why I don't eat any meat, but from my experience, it is very hard to convince a non-vegetarian person of the same, so I don't bother being a part of those arguments. We can't deny the fact that humans were designed to be omnivores, however modern farming practices are so cruel to animals, it's become hard for many to overlook this.
+1. I still eat meat, but make sure i know where it comes from. We have friends who have an organic family farm and we get all of our meat from them.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 07:44:56 »
can't resist

I live in Kansas and not the small part with Google fiber.
The weatherman says **** it its Kansas.
It looks like the African Savanna, but without all the cool ****.
The best internet I can get involves a 60ft tower and only gets 300kbps on a good day well its the best I can get without paying $48,0000.
I have to drive 35min just to get gas, not due to traffic, there is no traffic.

On the upside, one day I woke up made a fresh pot of coffee opened the back door and shot a deer.

We see plenty of deer from our porch as well  ;D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 10:33:13 »
It is so nice to be a carnivore. Not avoiding anything.

Luckily, not everyone thinks selfishly like you.

I am proud to be selfless and help save animals. If everyone thought like you, they'd be extinct.

Eating animals is selfish now?   :confused:

Iron is problematic for men

Genuinely curious - how is something vital for human survival deemed problematic for men?

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 10:55:36 »

I am proud to be selfless and help save animals. If everyone thought like you, they'd be extinct.

I will never understand vegetarian logic.

So instead of killing and eating living things, you're going to kill and eat other living things?

Plants are living creatures just as much as cows/pigs/chickens are. The only difference is, you feel better about killing them because they aren't sentient.

tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 11:02:06 »

So instead of killing and eating living things, you're going to kill and eat other living things?

Plants are living creatures just as much as cows/pigs/chickens are. The only difference is, you feel better about killing them because they aren't sentient.

Yeah.  I mean, if you wanna not eat meat, that's cool, I won't judge you.  But I expect the same from you.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 11:05:32 »

Yeah.  I mean, if you wanna not eat meat, that's cool, I won't judge you.  But I expect the same from you.

Exactly. Same goes for many other aspects of life, but none worth derailing this thread further to discuss...
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 11:12:52 »

Not sure its as much the eating of meat as it is contributing to the practices used to raise and produce the meat in the current system.  I have nothing against eating meat, I love it.  But I do have issues with the way meat is produced nowadays.  I think this 'selfish' statement was referring to the disregard for the animal's well being in the process.  That is how I understood his statement anyway...

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 11:22:07 »

Not sure its as much the eating of meat as it is contributing to the practices used to raise and produce the meat in the current system.  I have nothing against eating meat, I love it.  But I do have issues with the way meat is produced nowadays.  I think this 'selfish' statement was referring to the disregard for the animal's well being in the process.  That is how I understood his statement anyway...
The way meat is produced nowadays ... Like a lot of modern products , it's produced in large quantity , "the more the best ".

I can understand people that "doesn't want to hurt animals" . But vegetables are produced the same way that other  mordern industrial products , just look up for spanish vegetables thats are growing in plastic .

If for every single product you use , you start to count up how many poor country people died for it to get there or how much pollution it did to get to your place , you go back to live in a cave .
Azerty Propagandiste

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 11:23:04 »
Modern society woes...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 11:34:21 »

The way meat is produced nowadays ... Like a lot of modern products , it's produced in large quantity , "the more the best ".

I can understand people that "doesn't want to hurt animals" . But vegetables are produced the same way that other  mordern industrial products , just look up for spanish vegetables thats are growing in plastic .

If for every single product you use , you start to count up how many poor country people died for it to get there or how much pollution it did to get to your place , you go back to live in a cave .

That attitude does not help solve the problem (and yes, it is a problem).  Yes, it is a very small gesture for a large problem, but I only buy local organic meat from a farm I know treats their animals decently.  I also only buy organic vegetables from a different farming co-op.  Yes, it is more expensive than the mass produced stuff.  Yes, it is a personal choice which I am making and I have the financial means to make that choice.  Yes, I get blasted on here for doing what I can and not just falling in line with the accepted norms.  Yes, I try to raise awareness that it is a problem because it is important that people start to pay attention...  Is it worth being criticized over.  YES!  If it was an easy problem it would have already been solved, but that does not absolve us from taking responsibility for your own actions...

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 11:49:47 »

Exactly, factory farms are cruel.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 11:52:00 »

That attitude does not help solve the problem (and yes, it is a problem).  Yes, it is a very small gesture for a large problem, but I only buy local organic meat from a farm I know treats their animals decently.  I also only buy organic vegetables from a different farming co-op.  Yes, it is more expensive than the mass produced stuff.  Yes, it is a personal choice which I am making and I have the financial means to make that choice.  Yes, I get blasted on here for doing what I can and not just falling in line with the accepted norms.  Yes, I try to raise awareness that it is a problem because it is important that people start to pay attention...  Is it worth being criticized over.  YES!  If it was an easy problem it would have already been solved, but that does not absolve us from taking responsibility for your own actions...

So what you're saying that is poor people are the problem because they can't afford to boycott the corporate farms, and because of that you feel the need to judge them.

Sounds to me like it's capitalism that's the problem...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:16:56 »

As I said earlier, I don't judge people who eat meat, as I believe humans were meant to be omnivores, however to say that vegetarians are "killing" plants is also false for most cases, this is because most plants rely on consumption by animals to propagate. Eg fruits, there is a reason why the seed is in the center and surrounded by by juicy flesh, it is to attract animals to consume the fruit and in the process excrete or throw away the seed somewhere else to spawn another plant.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:19:18 »
Exactly, factory farms are cruel.

I wouldn't disagree with this. 

But it seems to be different than your initial statement where you imply that anyone eating an animal at all is selfish...

If factory farms are your issue, please don't assume that anyone who eats meat supports these farms.

And even if they did, people have various reasons to do so and not everyone can afford to avoid them.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:19:36 »

So what you're saying that is poor people are the problem because they can't afford to boycott the corporate farms, and because of that you feel the need to judge them.

Sounds to me like it's capitalism that's the problem...

That is not what I said.  Yes, I have the luxury of changing my personal consumption.  I recognize that not everyone is in the same position and I hold no judgment towards them.  I do think that respecting your food regardless of what you have is something that everyone can do.

I have not always been in this position.  I grew up very poor.  I had 4 older sisters and I ended up wearing girls clothes because that is what we had for hand me downs and we could not afford to buy me boys clothes. 

I paid for everything I own since I was 14.  When paying my way through university I was quite literally a starving student.  I lived on $50/month for food for an extended period of time.  To be honest, I probably eat better in that time period than I ever have.  I eat very little meat because I could not afford it.  I bought cheese (one of my favorite things at the time) once every couple months and it WAS my luxury. 

I don't think that capitalism has helped the problem.  The only reason Monsanto can exist is because of capitalism and the excessive amounts of money put into lobbying.  Is that something I can change on my own?  No.  Does that mean I have to turn a blind eye?  No... 

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:20:51 »

Hey , I'm with you on that , both my parents family are farmers . 80% of what we eat at home is organic and family made .
But when you're not around or want to buy something your family can't produce you gotta do with it .

I just find it dumb to be a vegan to fight against industrial meat when 90% of what surround you is industrial and tainted with poor country blood .
I've work in non-meats food industries (walnuts and goat cheese) and even if it happened in a developped country (france ) , methods were sometimes doubtful and farmers were ripped-off .

I got your point on the small gesture Swill .

As much as dustinhxc seems to be an overall great guy around here , his comment was so arrogant.

Azerty Propagandiste

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:26:02 »
OT threads are like the telephone game... you start with one topic, and end up on something completely unrelated.

Pills, vegetarianism, death to capitalism...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:28:41 »
I don't think that capitalism has helped the problem.  The only reason Monsanto can exist is because of capitalism and the excessive amounts of money put into lobbying.

Lobbying is not part of capitalism, FYI.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:31:39 »
I don't think that capitalism has helped the problem.  The only reason Monsanto can exist is because of capitalism and the excessive amounts of money put into lobbying.

Not directly, but it is a result of a government built on a capitalist economy.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:33:58 »

I guess that depends on what type of capitalism we feel is actually in play...

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:35:51 »

Seems accurate...

EDIT: That corruptions perceptions map looks a little off to me though...
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:43:38 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:45:21 »

Seems accurate...

This is exactly the problem.  But it's a very important distinction.  Most people are totally okay with capitalism.  Crony capitalism, on the other hand, is what most people object to.

So if Swill is referring to crony capitalism, then I agree with him.

Offline iri

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:54:19 »

Don't worry, I don't eat animals. I only eat people. Selflessly.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:59:02 by iri »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 12:58:31 »

Don't worry, I don't eat animals. I only eat people.

Now this is truly a sound plan to save the planet! Humans; the new beef!
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 13:01:04 »

Seems accurate...

This is exactly the problem.  But it's a very important distinction.  Most people are totally okay with capitalism.  Crony capitalism, on the other hand, is what most people object to.

You guys are stuck in this loop that FORCES reality into tight definitions that could not possibly be encompassing.

Money is most fundamentally a measure of the flow of desires..

The structure is what it is at any moment.

At the moment you snapshot and analyze it.. many people make the shortcut of dissecting the components too radically, and taking their behaviors as independent variables..

When lots of money flow into Monsanto..  How does that happen.. well.. PEOPLE DESIRE FOOD.. more so, they desire it at EVER LOWERING COSTS...

Monsanto is the representative of those desires and it exists because it fills them..

On the surface, you might see them bludgeoning classical virtuous values.. but that is NOT what's happening.

They are the sum of the little bits of greed in EACH OF US. the little bit of craving for more after we each take a bite..

Monsanto is not a monster.. it's just the representative..   THE MONSTER is not any one of us, it's ALL OF US...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 13:02:37 »

I was bleeding this one time.. and I licked the cut.. it tastes no bueno..

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 13:04:18 »

Seems accurate...

You guys are stuck in this loop that FORCES reality into tight definitions that could not possibly be encompassing.

Money is most fundamentally a measure of the flow of desires..

The structure is what it is at any moment.

At the moment you snapshot and analyze it.. many people make the shortcut of dissecting the components too radically, and taking their behaviors as independent variables..

When lots of money flow into Monsanto..  How does that happen.. well.. PEOPLE DESIRE FOOD.. more so, they desire it at EVER LOWERING COSTS...

Monsanto is the representative of those desires and it exists because it fills them..

On the surface, you might see them bludgeoning classical virtuous values.. but that is NOT what's happening.

They are the sum of the little bits of greed in EACH OF US. the little bit of craving for more after we each take a bite..

Monsanto is not a monster.. it's just the representative..   THE MONSTER is not any one of us, it's ALL OF US...

As little as I understood the whole of your explanation, I think I understand it's principle...

DEATH TO MONETARY SYSTEMS!

I was bleeding this one time.. and I licked the cut.. it tastes no bueno..

That's cuz you weren't thoroughly cooked...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #148 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 13:08:16 »
Isms in my opinion are not good....

I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 13:11:53 »
The monetary system is just tabulation.. 

taking away pen and paper won't stop people from eating .. and wanting more than they need..

You really want to solve humanity's problems..  Study physics and build a transcendence mechanism such that we may leave these silly quarrels of flesh..

That or a doomsday device to kill us all..  Either one would work..