Author Topic: Recommendations for a good solid old school gaming mouse for under $50 shipped?  (Read 16481 times)

Offline dante

Basically ...

Old school - means it looks like a mouse that could have been packaged with a corporate business PC.  Further clarifying - no annoying logos / back lit logos / weird artsy fartsy unnecessary bumps / transformer looking thing.  Basically, a mouse that wasn't originally intended for gaming but could be used for it.

2 buttons and a wheel - that's it.  If it HAS to include 2 extra side buttons ... fine ... but I'd prefer that it doesn't.

PLUG AND PLAY - does not come with or need special drivers.

Yes it might not have eleventy billion DPI like you guys use today - I'm not sure what it's up to - but it will be enough for me.

Offline engicoder

The G400 is a very good gaming mouse, that looks pretty vanilla, but it does have a few extra buttons.
http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/8259
EDIT: Whoops....these have gone up in price since the last time I bought one...or I forgot how much I paid...sorry
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 December 2014, 14:25:01 by engicoder »

Offline dante

The G400 is a very good gaming mouse, that looks pretty vanilla, but it does have a few extra buttons.
EDIT: Whoops....these have gone up in price since the last time I bought one...or I forgot how much I paid...sorry

Pass.  I don't like the look of it.  It's got ripples / too many buttons.

Offline trace.

• 「ひとりぼっち」「empty4ever」

If you're using Windows 7 this would be pretty much the best thing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Wheel-Mouse-Optical-WMO-Steelseries-MOD-100-NEW-5-Colors-/121179666270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item61d44f5bbb
The thing is though that all legit wmo's I've found are from Takasta, and all of them have modded coating and some have a led logo.
This is closest to the stock coating but still not it.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
What about the Zowie EC eVo series?

Offline dante

What about the Zowie EC eVo series?

Of all the mainstream gaming mouse makers Zowie is probably the closest to what I'm looking for.  However, I've read of many reviews of peeling rubber coating, paint chipping, buttons unintentionally double clicking, and very slow support from Zowie which is why I ignored them.

Offline dante

If you're using Windows 7 this would be pretty much the best thing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Wheel-Mouse-Optical-WMO-Steelseries-MOD-100-NEW-5-Colors-/121179666270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item61d44f5bbb
The thing is though that all legit wmo's I've found are from Takasta, and all of them have modded coating and some have a led logo.
This is closest to the stock coating but still not it.

This looks pretty close to what I'm looking for!  But I'm a bit confused ... what is a Microsoft mouse doing with Steel Series branding?

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
See if you can find a wmo?

It's in the geekhack mouse guide for superior sensors and is probably the closest to your ideal look. Comes in both black and white. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline dante

Hey I've read the mouse guide - it says the IMO 1.1 should have 5 buttons - however on the above ebay link I previously posted it looks like 3 maybe 4.  Isn't that mouse supposed to be ambidextrous?

BTW I've been on the look out for a Zowie Mico just for the hell of it - it's the only 3 button mouse in the line up.  However it looks like supply has dried up.  Has this been discontinued?

Yeah - this is probably what is in the Mouse Wiki:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Original-Microsoft-Intellimouse-Optical-USB-IO-1-1-white-X08-mouse-/131300729691

However this appears to be the same item with only an extra button on the left?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Microsoft-Intellimouse-Optical-USB-IO-1-1-Mouse-US-Seller-/321130359723

Very puzzled!
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 December 2014, 10:08:16 by dante »

Offline Joebroniee

I still use a microsoft intellimouse 1.1 optical from time to time. its amazing for what it does and how old it is. there are 5 buttons on that specific model. right left, 2 side buttons one on each side(the silver ones) and the center scroll being a click too. trust me it works. if you can get a new one that hasn't yellowed, they are beautiful. zowie fk's steelseries sensei's are designed after this mouse fyi. the white microsoft abouve with no silver side buttons is literally the second iteration of the original intellimouse with the scroll ball. then hence forth came the 1.1. 

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Zowie MiCO has an annoyingly backlit wheel.

What about basic SteelSeries mice like Kana v2 and below?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
I have a Steelseries Kinzu though I only use it as a spare. Considering they can be had for $10-15 often, it's not a bad mouse at all. The buttons they use in them are fairly ****ty though... I popped it open after a few minutes and replaced them with some Omrons and stuck on some corepad glides and it was a 500% improvement.
Logitech G100 might be another option, if you can find one of the older non S models before they put those tacky rubber stripes all over the body.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 December 2014, 22:58:35 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline dante

Kana v2 and its like require drivers.  I'm very much a purist - I want it to be plug in play - so much so that the manufacturer offers no drivers of any kind.

Offline dante

Sorry for all the stupid questions.  I went through over 100 keyboards to find out what I really want - I don't want to go through this again with computer mice  :confused:

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
Can't go wrong with a WMO

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
I think I'm going to rock a matte black WMO and stuff the Aurora's guts in it once they start selling them separately.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Kana v2 and its like require drivers.  I'm very much a purist - I want it to be plug in play - so much so that the manufacturer offers no drivers of any kind.
Every mouse requires drivers, unless you want to use it as a paperweight. Every mouse mentioned in this thread should work just fine with OS' built-in USB HID drivers.

The only reason to dismiss a mouse with extra drivers is that you're paying for them, when you buy a brand new mouse from an official distributor (something I never do), and they're ****ty or proprietary and don't work on your platform—voting with ones wallet is understandable. And, yes, I'm pissed at CM Storm for providing firmware updaters only for MS Windows, and I wish Roccat would ditch their proprietary drivers with the usage-tracking gimmick in favor of the open-source driver (i.e. only provide a kernel module for, say, MS Windows).

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
yeah... I didn't install any specific driver for my Steelseries. I just plug it in and it works. Works fine on everything I have stuck it into from my retro Windows 98 build, to #!, to Windows 8.1, 7, server 2012... Maybe if you want to update the firmware you might have to install the steelseries software but otherwise no.

Offline dante

Thanks for everyone's input: I just placed an order for a WMO.

@davkol - I run Windows 7 so technically every mouse should work ... it's just a philosophical belief on my part that additional software should not be necessary.  Same thing with PC's: I don't want one that comes with a bunch of bloat apps.  "Updates" for a Mouse are ridiculous - it's a MOUSE not an Operating System!

I have to say after studying gaming mice for the last week I've come up with a couple conclusions:

1. It seems to me that the factories that produce these mice have horrible QC.  Every single [modern] mouse has a good number of people with inconsistent clicks, different weighted clicks, wheels squeaking, rubber coating coming off after relatively short period of time - all sorts of things.  Perhaps 1/3 of the reviews come from serious defects or engineering issues.

2. While a lot of people have found "the one" - how hard can "the one" be?  If you take "DPI" out of the equation then a lot of the original mice absolutely nailed it.  And they didn't need flamboyant alien Tonka toys aesthetics or ProGamers faces to move units - they were simply good products in their own right.  Which leads me to believe these manufacturers intentionally make their products imperfect in some way so they always have something "new and improved" to sell.

Offline osi

Cougar 200m.

Has a logo and 5 buttons but for under 20 bones, I don't think it can be beat.

Better than the three brand new zowie mice I've had. **** zowie

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Congratulations, now you understand the modern economy.

Anyway, keep in mind that the modern mice cost up to about 100 USD, modern USD is worth next to nothing in actuality, and it has to cover marketing, customer service and R&D expenses. Yes, R&D. The modern tracking systems aren't simple, and pushing limits adds complexity. That's why firmware updates, if there are bugs or tracking isn't convenient (e.g., too high LOD). It's the same story as with storage—it's just storage, isn't it? Actually, you can run an ordinary OS (like Linux) straight in modern HDDs.

I doubt there's market for simple, high-quality mice currently. Simple mice used especially by businesses are cheap to replace, thus there isn't demand for quality, and individuals (are tricked to) favor features—but at limited budget. If you want a reliable pointing device, look elsewhere (industrial trackballs in particular).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Ummm... WMO is pretty good.. the newer versions can do 1000hz i believe using the mouserate tool..

the older WMO only did 500 max..

ofcourse default is still 125 on all WMO... out of the box

I recall.. there IS angle snapping on WMO...   

now... As long as angle snapping is part of your playstyle,  you should be fine..

Like if ur still on cs1.6, prediction imho is better, because nearly all obstructions are blocky square polygons, so it's much easier to keep things level with prediction..

But in newer shooters where there are more ROUND obstructions,  it make sense to get a prediction-free mouse..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
just did some reading...

why didn't u get a logitech g502..  I mean.. yea it's kinda weird looking.. but it's pretty inexpensive and has perfect sensor and 1000hz native.. vs the fiddling with WMO

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Razer Krait. Built like a warhorse, and completely reliable.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
roccat lua but not old skull :))
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline dante

@ tp4, noisyturtle, yasuo - all three have extra software (do not want!)

and that g502 is a joke - aesthetics wise.

Flavorwise think more FinalMouse 2015.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
@ tp4, noisyturtle, yasuo - all three have extra software (do not want!)

Flavorwise think more FinalMouse 2015.

The Krait does not require the software, I never installed it. At least the old model doesn't, they did rerelease it but try to find the original (gold/orange LED) version. Still use mine for my laptop, never installed the Razer software, still going strong after 8 years.

Holy ****! Never thought about how old my Krait was, almost a decade :eek:

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia

Maybe, but it's still the best performing mouse I've ever used.

Offline Creizai

Hey I've read the mouse guide - it says the IMO 1.1 should have 5 buttons - however on the above ebay link I previously posted it looks like 3 maybe 4.  Isn't that mouse supposed to be ambidextrous?

BTW I've been on the look out for a Zowie Mico just for the hell of it - it's the only 3 button mouse in the line up.  However it looks like supply has dried up.  Has this been discontinued?

Yeah - this is probably what is in the Mouse Wiki:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Original-Microsoft-Intellimouse-Optical-USB-IO-1-1-white-X08-mouse-/131300729691

However this appears to be the same item with only an extra button on the left?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Microsoft-Intellimouse-Optical-USB-IO-1-1-Mouse-US-Seller-/321130359723

Very puzzled!

If you need a MiCO I have a backup that I bought.  The none matte surface zowie mice are actually extremely good, normally I hate painted surfaces but the EC2 Evo White edition feels really good. Though you can never really go wrong with a WMO/IMO/3.0.  I just bought a WMO brand new in white off ebay for 25$.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 January 2015, 22:22:47 by Creizai »

Offline dante

Creizai, thanks for the offer but it's not necessary.  I'm working with qtan in acquiring a Startale Zowie mouse from China.

My WMO should be in the mail this week! :D

Offline spale

There is no better and cheaper mouse then Logitech MX518. I have it for 7 years now, its survived everything.

Offline dante

There is no better and cheaper mouse then Logitech MX518. I have it for 7 years now, its survived everything.

It looks like it has shingles.

Offline dante

I received my WMO from ebay/Takasta today.  So far it works pretty good!  My only criticism is it might be a touch larger than I'd like but certainly a really good product.

Offline dante

BTW: This is a 11th hour question after the product has already been delivered ...

The WMO comes with hard plastic feet - will these be ok on a soft pad like a Steelseries QCK or should I buy aftermarket feet to extend the life?

Offline munch

• !
I would do it for the feel rather than the durability. it feels so much nicer with good PTFE feet.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
BTW: This is a 11th hour question after the product has already been delivered ...

The WMO comes with hard plastic feet - will these be ok on a soft pad like a Steelseries QCK or should I buy aftermarket feet to extend the life?

Not sure if this deal expired, but $3 for two sets of feet with free shipping:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67200.0

Offline dante

That deal expired :(