Author Topic: A Different Set of Complaints about Ebay  (Read 1891 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
A Different Set of Complaints about Ebay
« on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 19:44:55 »
I am seriously irritated about 2 cell phones I just "sold" on ebay.

My kids' Galaxy S3s which I upgraded to S5s for their main gifts (nice Dad, right?) and I put the old ones up for sale. Both were in excellent condition throughout, surprisingly, with original boxes, accessories, etc.

Ebay offers "choices" and "selections" which they really don't want you to use, and it is a perpetual whack-a-mole to try to keep them in place. For example, I believe that when you back up, change, or edit completely unrelated things, ebay takes the opportunity to reset other, off-screen selections to their preferred defaults. I perceive it as part of their grand strategy to screw sellers at every opportunity.

For example, I always make a point of checking "immediate payment required for Buy-It-Now", yet a woman in Texas supposedly "bought" one of the phones 4 days ago but still has not paid. This listing is down and ebay wants their fees from me. I opened a complaint and got an automatic reply that nothing could be done until 7 days had passed. WTF? What does "immediate payment" mean? All I can figure is that ebay de-selected my choice after the fact.

I did not want to get too involved with international shipping, so I excluded everywhere with the exception Europe. Today I turned on my computer and saw that the phone had been bought and paid for by someone in Morrocco. How?

It would seem that ebay would honor the wishes of sellers, even when it conceals the choices it doesn't like and makes them hard to find and select.

These things irritate me more than money-related aggravations like rapacious fees.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: A Different Set of Complaints about Ebay
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 19:47:14 »
This is why I just give all my old stuff to my long list of kid cousins..  they don't care if you give um 1yr old phones.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 19:52:59 »
Well about the international shipping, they can still buy the product, but you only have to send it to ebay, they ship it for you.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 20:10:34 »
Well about the international shipping, they can still buy the product, but you only have to send it to ebay, they ship it for you.

How does that work? I have always just done everything the old-fashioned way.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 20:13:11 »
They just give you the address to a CONUS shipping center. All you have to do is send it to them and they take care of the rest

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 20:19:29 »
They just give you the address to a CONUS shipping center. All you have to do is send it to them and they take care of the rest

So how do I make this happen?
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 20:22:39 »
Literally just mail it to the address they give you

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 20:27:26 »

So how do I get them to give me an address?

I can't find any of this stuff on the site.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 20:28:22 »

So how do I get them to give me an address?

I can't find any of this stuff on the site.
It should be the default address they send you once the person pays

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 20:32:58 »
Never mind. I created a dummy sale to look at the info and FAQs.

Morocco is excluded.

Cell phones are excluded.

Did I mention that this is a complaint thread about ebay's obstreperous attitude?

- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jalaj

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 20:33:54 »
generate the USPS shipping label through ebay's website, it's one of the options available for your sold items.
edit: or UPS via eBay, depending on your preference, price, etc.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 09:34:11 »
So is it possible to limit a sell to  CONUS only and avoid 0 feedback buyers?

I've always been hesitant to sell on eBay but have been considering trying it out.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 09:45:22 »

I've always been hesitant to sell on eBay but have been considering trying it out.

You can make exclusions for everywhere in the world, by continent and/or country.
Just be careful, because ebay will reset your exclusions to "off" at any opportunity.

You cannot block buyers except ones with negative feedback. That is bad.

- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 10:35:42 »
This is why I just give all my old stuff to my long list of kid cousins..  they don't care if you give um 1yr old phones.

Chinese have a 'long list of cousins'??? Weren't you born in Beijing in the 1990s ie after all the horrible birth controls? I am surprised that you even have one cousin.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 10:38:15 »

You can make exclusions for everywhere in the world, by continent and/or country.
Just be careful, because ebay will reset your exclusions to "off" at any opportunity.

You cannot block buyers except ones with negative feedback. That is bad.

fohat, you have complained more than once and I have always commiserated.

But don't expect Ebay to change its attitude. I am waiting for Alibaba to do something about this. Only free market competition will change Ebay's attitude. They were MUCH nicer in the 1990s when they were new and there were many competing auction sites.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 11:01:46 »
They were MUCH nicer in the 1990s when they were new and there were many competing auction sites.

I did not start getting cranked up until maybe 6-8 years ago when they changed many of their policies for the worse.

Fees doubled or tripled, Paypal became the only payment option, sellers could not leave negative feedback on buyers, buyers with low feedback could not be excluded, return/refund/shipping requirements for sellers became more onerous .....

My first big round of selling several hundred collectible LPs around 2003-05 was generally pretty pleasant.

A few years later, when I started selling again, the landscape had changed drastically.

But ebay remains "the only game in town"
- Jimmy Carter 2015