Author Topic: Triple monitor set up  (Read 16293 times)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Triple monitor set up
« on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:38:38 »
So I'm getting more and more into racing sims for the PC and I want to upgrade my monitor from 1 24" to a triple monitor set up.  I think I still want them to be 24" but I don't know what to look at from there.  I'll be getting a gtx 970 to feed them as well.

Basically do I:

Go bigger than 24" per panel since I'm doing multiple panels on a 48" wide desk that's less than 48" from my head?

Do I need more pees? 

Feel free to offer model numbers or ignore or whatever.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Triple monitor set up
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:45:38 »
You'll probably want more than a 970 for triple monitor.. at least 2x 970

As for monitors.. if you want to do this on budget.. get 3x 27" korean IPSes

Total cost  $900 + $600

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:46:27 »
If you are using a monitor arm, most won't let you exceed 27 in, although 24in is the sweet spot for most people. You should also probably be looking for an ips panel if you expect that you will have your monitors setup angled sharply.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:46:38 »
I don't think 3x 24"  is worth getting.. because they're not large enough to give you the immersion you'd expect from multimonitor..

The reason for that is because You still have to sit quite close to 24"ers

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:47:17 »

You'll probably want more than a 970 for triple monitor.. at least 2x 970

As for monitors.. if you want to do this on budget.. get 3x 27" korean IPSes

Total cost  $900 + $600

I can't imagine he will need more than a 970 if he only plans on running racing sims...

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:49:17 »
I don't think 3x 24"  is worth getting.. because they're not large enough to give you the immersion you'd expect from multimonitor..

The reason for that is because You still have to sit quite close to 24"ers

True, for emersion if you don't like sitting close a larger option might be bennificial.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:55:23 »
Optionally... You can get those $250 50" Tvs..

That's what I'd do. If I was in the game for this stuff.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:58:21 »
I'll be sitting pretty close, like I said, less than 2 ft away.

I've checked up with the 970 and as a single card, it specced to run 3 monitors fine.  I'll probably run some other stuff, but I haven't clicked with anything bleeding edge lately besides the racing sims I've played and if I do find something more graphically challenging, I can add more later.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 00:01:57 »
Since you're gonna spend the money.. Why be content with old-limitations..

Change..

Reach... 

space.. the final...

you get the idea..

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 00:06:35 »
Are you saying I need a holodeck?  Because it sounds like you're saying I should build a holodeck.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 00:09:21 »
Are you saying I need a holodeck?  Because it sounds like you're saying I should build a holodeck.

You definitely should. I see no problems with a holodeck. Make it so.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 01:00:05 »

haha... sigh......  I guess I'm content with the ergodox having been invented in my years..

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 01:28:02 »
Maybe?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34UM65-34-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00JR6GBHO/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1420874566&sr=8-12&keywords=21%3A9+monitor#customerReviews

I have done the multi-monitor thing and it just wasn't for me.  If you are just doing it for a single game, I would recommend just hitting up CL for 3 basic 24" monitors rather than going full tilt on brand new stuff to make sure it's for you. 

A quick search in your area-ish pulled these:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/sop/4804799282.html  $30 Dell
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/sop/4830344226.html  $100 Acer
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/sop/4786118723.html  $100 Samsung

Unless you are too ocd to use 3 different monitors, this would get you going on the cheap. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 January 2015, 01:33:22 by Badwrench »
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 01:44:59 »

lol, wut?  you don't have a holodeck?  who doesn't have a holodeck nowadays?  Do they know it's 2015 in Texas yet?

As for the triple monitors, the 3x 24" sounds good to me.  3x 24" is HUUUGE.  It'll make you feel like Dario Franchitti.  Except you won't be married to Ashley Judd.  Oh Snap!  Neither is he, for much longer. 

My only advice pardner, is maybe pony up another Texas Penny for the 980 GTX instead of the 970?  (see what i did?  i threw in some Texas slang in there to make you fell more comfortable).

Heart Heart Heart Dario <3 <3 <3

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 11:29:29 »

The only problem with actual TVs instead of monitors is that the quality is much lower. You may not be able to notice when you're watching TV from far away, but it's definitely noticeable gaming. Or you could get a 4k TV. But at that point you really shouldn't have to worry about budgeting...
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 11:32:32 »
Get a 21:9 ratio monitor? Most games are compatible and most cost effective if you don't want to spend a fortune. I own one myself which is running on a 970

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 11:52:24 »

The only problem with actual TVs instead of monitors is that the quality is much lower. You may not be able to notice when you're watching TV from far away, but it's definitely noticeable gaming. Or you could get a 4k TV. But at that point you really shouldn't have to worry about budgeting...

You lie...

The quality is Not lower..

In what way are they lower..

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 12:23:32 »

You lie...

The input lag and lower pixel density of TVs
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:39:42 »

You lie...

The input lag and lower pixel density of TVs

pixel density is not a problem  when you add distance..  which you'd have to, because most tvs are at least 40"

But what we're looking for is Immersion...   sure.. in an ideal world.. 3x 4k 50" tvs..   but I'm assuming Tj doesn't **** silver ingots..

and input lag hasn't been an issue for a LONG time....  these days even budget tvs have gaming mode if you need it.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:48:14 »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTV05XG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

So I think this is what I'm going to go for unless things change before I get the $ together.  Thin bezel, displayport and a good panel.  It's not 1440p or 1600p but it seems like a good price for a well liked screen.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:54:37 »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTV05XG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

So I think this is what I'm going to go for unless things change before I get the $ together.  Thin bezel, displayport and a good panel.  It's not 1440p or 1600p but it seems like a good price for a well liked screen.
Good choice.  Those are great monitors and since they are ips, you can run all 3 in portrait if they are too wide in landscape on your desk or you want a slightly different ratio.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:55:06 »
I'd recommend going for 24" in IPS or VA, so you don't get colour shifting.

I use three 24" BenQ 1080p VA panels. 27in will cost more, because you will probably want a higher resolution than 1080p for 27in monitors (my 4th monitor is a 1080p 27in and it's kinda grainy.. my 5th is a 50" 1080p TV and it's super grainy up close-ish). Three 24" is still huge and really breath taking too. Finding triple armed monitor stands that take anything larger than a 24" is tougher also, if you're into the stands. They're a little too rich for my blood, when I could spend that money on more keyboards.  ;D

Look for a display with thin square bezels, and then overlap them to halve the bezels!  :thumb:

I play sims too, DCS/FSX/Falcon 4.0/Rise of Flight/Assetto Corsa, a bunch of others. It's great for all types of games really, but playing sims with triple monitors and a TrackIR is really amazing.

Here's a couple of (old) pictures to give you an idea of what I have going on. Being pushed by two R9 290s, I can max/near max pretty much everything at 60FPS, some with AA, some without. My eventual goal if I get around to it would be two more monitors for a 5x1 portrait setup.. /drool.

« Last Edit: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:57:19 by meow a cat »

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 17:24:18 »

I have one of those. Been pretty happy with it. The bezel is ridiculous on them.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 17:48:14 »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 17:53:24 »
I have a 27-inch Dell in the center, flanked by two HP 24-inch monitors. I use this setup mainly for work, and I like to have the larger higher-res monitor in the center, where I focus most of my attention. Peripheral items go onto the side screens. On my main system, the monitors are driven by dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs in a 2013 Mac Pro, but I have the same triple-monitor setup on an older Mac Pro with a single ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card and it does just fine, but I don't do any gaming.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 18:14:02 »
Although racing games does not require power to run at decent frames having 3 monitors running on a single card will not be enough. Plus you want to have a monitor that has low inpute lag vs a monitor with fast response time. In the end manufactures all have a different system of measuring responce time. You can Google the difference.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 18:39:20 »
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-23-6-led-hd-monitor/8767187.p?id=1218890757510&skuId=8767187&productCategoryId=pcmcat200900050014  Thinking about these, too.  Less money, similar bezel, but no displayport.

I have 3 of those, I like them. I don't really have anything to compare them to though.

I get by with a gtx670 on assetto corsa 5760x1080p 2x aa 2x as at mid to high settings with post processing. Runs well imo, so you should be okay. Going to upgrade my gpu soon though.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 19:18:50 »
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-23-6-led-hd-monitor/8767187.p?id=1218890757510&skuId=8767187&productCategoryId=pcmcat200900050014  Thinking about these, too.  Less money, similar bezel, but no displayport.
And, being the Dell Ultrasharp **** that I am... the stand on the Ultrasharp will blow that Asus away. Height, rotation, tilt, easy to remove if you want to mount, etc.

And DisplayPort.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 19:22:23 »
And, being the Dell Ultrasharp **** that I am... the stand on the Ultrasharp will blow that Asus away. Height, rotation, tilt, easy to remove if you want to mount, etc.

And DisplayPort.

Oops, forgot to mention. The stand on these monitors (The asus) are HORRIBLE, so wobbly. I have them wall mounted though, so that doesn't matter, but it is worth noting.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 19:27:12 »
Yeah, this would be something that would go from box to triple mount, so not hugely worried about the stands.  It's just deciding if the dell is worth near $100 more a monitor.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 20:31:04 »
sigh.. guys.. if you're worried about Bezel.. that's all the more reason to get a TV set instead..

it's about Bezel relative to screen size..   Even the most basic tv has a significantly BETTER ratio  than monitors..

The Bezel on TVs almost feel like they disappear because next to the Larger screen, they're insignificant..

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 21:05:54 »
>2015
>only 3 1080p monitors

mkw (my kek when)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 21:22:01 »
>2015
>only 3 1080p monitors

mkw (my kek when)

What can i say, I'm cheap af

Offline Sniping

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 04:47:22 »
Do you plan on gaming a lot on all three monitors? I don't play games have good support on 3 monitors, so my side monitors are in portrait. You can get by with cheaper panels on the side if this is the case. I actually picked up one of my monitors on a sidewalk that someone was throwing out. It's an older Dell monitor, but it's a 24" and 1200p, so it's fine for what I need.

My center monitor is a Korean 1440p monitor. It's not bad on a budget. I have it mounted to a Humanscale M8, which I found on Ebay for $100. This setup is still cheaper than a 1440p monitor from a name brand though, so I'm happy.

Everything is running off of a 770.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 12:37:02 »
Just man the **** up and get three projectors, full room immersion.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 12:46:20 »

No bro.. This is very difficult to do..  I tried a while back with 2x 8700ub.

Light pollution..      Throw distance..  Etc..   unless he has LOTS of space and the ability to paint the ceiling black..  It's very difficult to do multi projector.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 12:53:27 »

No bro.. This is very difficult to do..  I tried a while back with 2x 8700ub.

Light pollution..      Throw distance..  Etc..   unless he has LOTS of space and the ability to paint the ceiling black..  It's very difficult to do multi projector.

>three projectors impossible
>TV's as computer monitors perfectly fine
>tp4 logic

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 12:59:23 »
The problem with TVs is that if you get too big than the pixel density wont be good enough for a desk setup. Especially if TJ plans to sit close, the pixels will be noticeable.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:01:52 »
a little late, but this is the setup I had in my lab that was awesome for everything

a bit pricey and outdated monitors in the pic, but still works
Hi :)

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:07:06 »
a little late, but this is the setup I had in my lab that was awesome for everything

Show Image

Will that work for gaming though? seems like a weird resolution.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:09:33 »

Show Image

It worked for fps, rts, and basic racing games, haha.  I used it mostly for work and editing.

oh and skyrim/other rpg type games

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:11:29 »

Show Image

It worked for fps, rts, and basic racing games, haha.  I used it mostly for work and editing.

Show Image

Can I ask why you have "Bunny Suicides" written on your wall?

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:21:04 »

Show Image

Show Image

Funny enough, I worked in a lab that studied/drugged/dissected/raised bunnies.  It was highly controlled by the ethics board, so everything had to be extremely accurate, especially for the anesthesiologists.  They would have to put the bunnies to sleep, and we would cut them open to take samples, etc. but sometimes the drugs were not enough and they would be screaming in pain while asleep.  It was sad, but since it was so highly controlled we could not do anything.  I used to write memoirs to the lost rabbits/mice/crayfish/rats/fish in the name of science. 

The picture is not actually mine, haha I just found a similar setup to mine online. 

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:30:11 »
Waite, your saying that you found a random persons photo that also had some connection to suicidal/ dying bunnies.  :eek: Thats kind of amazing.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:35:45 »

Show Image

Show Image

That is what called your attention? Not that horribad saitek keyboard?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:41:37 »

Show Image

Show Image

I couldnt figure out what it was but looking at his signature I figured it was probably a decent board nonetheless.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:50:01 »

Show Image

Show Image

cmon demik I thought we were homies!  I wouldn't have that board there.  IT would probably be my type-S with the dox on the side :)

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:51:52 »
Waite, your saying that you found a random persons photo that also had some connection to suicidal/ dying bunnies.  :eek: Thats kind of amazing.

Haha it was meant to be!  I had them on a higher stand though. The standard height hurt my neck looking down so much

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:54:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

cmon demik I thought we were homies!  I wouldn't have that board there.  IT would probably be my type-S with the dox on the side :)

Anyone with over 100000 posts has to have lots of opinions  :))

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 14:30:33 »

Show Image

Show Image

thats how i knew it wasnt yours :p
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.