Author Topic: So that Baltimore thing.  (Read 11526 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: So that Baltimore thing.
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:09:31 »
And here comes the closest racists of Geekhack.

At least they mark themselves. Easier to ignore.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:10:32 »
As an outsider in a country where this issue is nowhere near as rampant, with many black friends myself, I think the problem is way too complicated to just be throwing around absolutes.

1. Yes, I have read that black people on average statistically commit more crimes in America, though I'm interested about the part where bill says "*basically* regardless of economic background". In particular, it's the "basically" modifier that intrigues me - can you make this more precise?

2. *WHY* is this the case? Is it a systemic issue? Culture? Media? Family environment? How can we fix it? Or is it so difficult and entrenched in American society/history that it is unresolvable? This is what really interests me. If only we could scientifically test this. But people are too sensitive and politically correct to entertain the notion. Science and effective problem resolution is so often held back by these bleeding heart sentimentalities...

Anyway, I'm inclined to lean towards tp4 on this. I really think a big part of the crime element is simply economic inequality.  I have known poor white people who commit violent crime, because they don't know any other way. On the other hand, I know lots of super poor Asian immigrants who are still very law abiding and raise their kids right. Is it an innate, racial thing? I don't know. We can't say without cold, hard evidence. Anecdotal observations don't count.

Most of my black friends come from educated backgrounds and good family environments and they would never act like these rioting trash heaps. However, they do recognize that in some cases, yes, the police do act unfairly towards minorities, and I think that is a justified assertion. Do I think all cops are bad? No, maybe 1% fit the bill of bad cop, and another 1% have really, really poor decision making skills (like the SC shooting). I think 98% of police officers are good people who just want to go home to their families. But it's hard to do this when you are in a poverty stricken area where people have been conditioned to hate the police.

Anyway, tl;dr we should all just get along.
"THEY" have nothing to gain from all of us getting along. They generate wars and start riots always the same way, by hiring a few mercenaries that make a mess and people dumbly following it. It has been proven multiples time.
The one in power gain more from us fighting each other (selling weapon and other security related items, passing laws ...).
Wars, riots, aswell as all other major events (whether it is created or just happened) are just a distraction for the mass while pigs feed themselves.

Who is "they"? Where is your proof? This sounds so much like something pulled from some book.

Politics, Corporations,the one that would sell their own mother for profit. So much proof were found, what striked me the most recently was when France went to war against Islamics in Mali. After the army invested camps they found french paperworks in the huts. This paperwork was payment from the Pôle Emploi, our militaries where fighting against french mercenaries payed by the same government. They just had a different disguise and had to rememeber to yell "allah hakbar" everytime they met a camera.
Could link those things to you but my sources are from french websites. So much more lies on Irak, Syria ... Depressing.

While I don't disagree with your proof, I think we are discussing different topics.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:13:21 »

Hahahahha

I think biologically,  there must be some element to "promote" oneself..

So fundamentally,  people are always "racist"  to some degree..

The trouble comes, when that self-preservation Conflicts with the greater good of the "species" as a whole.

For example..  white women reject any other races on dating sites...

But if you think about it,  blacks have more than demonstrated their athletic superiority.

The ideal combination is a supportive family structure (more characteristic of whites) + the physical superiority of the blacks.

YET,  because the average white female on a dating site is predominantly NOT THINKING about "the human species"..  they choose their own genetic lineage. <--- this is in conflict with producing the strongest smartest humans.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:16:12 »
Is prejudice considered racist?

I think people are prejudice by nature. We can't help judge based on stereotypes. We are all guilty of it. It's when you try to justify your views is when you step over the I'm racist line.

Anyway, you seem to understand the problem here. Sadly not many will see it due to a couple of knuckleheads using these marches to act like ****s.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:18:43 »

I think people are prejudice by nature. We can't help judge based on stereotypes. We are all guilty of it. It's when you try to justify your views is when you step over the I'm racist line.

Anyway, you seem to understand the problem here. Sadly not many will see it due to a couple of knuckleheads using these marches to act like ****s.

you're taking this argument towards "semantics"    and away from the issue.

Everyone knows what you're talking about, if we loosen up on the terms. hahahaha

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:19:35 »

Humans like things to be organised and broken up into sections, be it information, games, dvds or people. I think Prejudice is something that comes from a lack off or poor education/background. I don't think racism or prejudice is naturally occurring, small children don't do it naturally and small children can be very harsh because they have yet to work out how to be nice to people and how things affect others as they are still growing.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:24:04 »
For example..  white women reject any other races on dating sites...

But if you think about it,  blacks have more than demonstrated their athletic superiority.

The ideal combination is a supportive family structure (more characteristic of whites) + the physical superiority of the blacks.

YET,  because the average white female on a dating site is predominantly NOT THINKING about "the human species"..  they choose their own genetic lineage. <--- this is in conflict with producing the strongest smartest humans.

Define athletic superiority. Yes, in track and field and sports requiring explosive, fast twitch fibers, yes. But what about soccer, or wrestling, or powerlifting, or hockey, or swimming? Are these any less athletic? These have a much wider range of ethnicities/races at the higher levels. I argue that once you make the sport not about a single action (running, jumping, etc.) and make it into a much more complex, realistic endeavour, those innate advantages associated to race disappear, and it becomes more about training.

I would not say people are prejudiced by nature. Babies are often receptive to any race. It is instead a function of familial upbringing and education/intelligence.

It's so easy to blame these things on "human nature". But we are better than that. We should strive to analyze these problems logically and not succumb to our so called prejudices. We should judge people on what they *can* change, not what they can't.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2015, 10:25:47 by ttzhou »

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:13:20 »
The majority of gun owners wouldn't even be affected by tighter gun control, but somehow a vocal minority manages to put down every attempt to regulate

'Splain please

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:17:57 »
The majority of gun owners wouldn't even be affected by tighter gun control, but somehow a vocal minority manages to put down every attempt to regulate

'Splain please

what the **** is that website??! I had to scroll down a bunch just to find the content and then to read it i had to fill in a survey?!

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:19:24 »
what the **** is that website??! I had to scroll down a bunch just to find the content and then to read it i had to fill in a survey?!

Are you not using an adblocker?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:22:44 »

not on a works pc

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:46:33 »
The media has framed this as a race issue and the cattle are being herded appropriately.    This is a poverty issue.   Stratification of wealth and power.   A very few years ago there were jobs and a man could feed his family and his wife could care for the children.    Now thirty years later a working man can not pay the basic costs of living and there is little opportunity to do so.    The middle class is being marginalized and the wealthy are above the law.    Policing has become militarized.   The poor are the enemy.

The reason that Americans claim a right to bear arms is to protect themselves from an oppressive regime.

It is pretty obvious that America is an oppressive regime both externally and internally.    To me it appears that the Americans with the balls to react to oppression are the gang bangers and the poor.  The politically correct on the Internet will  give up their rights at any threat.   

Militias should be protecting people from the army and the police.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 11:53:27 »

At this point I'm legitimately surprised when someone complains about ads
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 12:11:45 »
Whole shebang makes me so sad.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 12:13:16 »
As an outsider in a country where this issue is nowhere near as rampant, with many black friends myself, I think the problem is way too complicated to just be throwing around absolutes.

1. Yes, I have read that black people on average statistically commit more crimes in America, though I'm interested about the part where bill effectiveduck (sorry billnye, my bad!) says "*basically* regardless of economic background". In particular, it's the "basically" modifier that intrigues me - can you make this more precise?

2. *WHY* is this the case? Is it a systemic issue? Culture? Media? Family environment? How can we fix it? Or is it so difficult and entrenched in American society/history that it is unresolvable? This is what really interests me. If only we could scientifically test this. But people are too sensitive and politically correct to entertain the notion. Science and effective problem resolution is so often held back by these bleeding heart sentimentalities...

Anyway, I'm inclined to lean towards tp4 on this. I really think a big part of the crime element is simply economic inequality.  I have known poor white people who commit violent crime, because they don't know any other way. On the other hand, I know lots of super poor Asian immigrants who are still very law abiding and raise their kids right. Is it an innate, racial thing? I don't know. We can't say without cold, hard evidence. Anecdotal observations don't count.

Most of my black friends come from educated backgrounds and good family environments and they would never act like these rioting trash heaps. However, they do recognize that in some cases, yes, the police do act unfairly towards minorities, and I think that is a justified assertion. Do I think all cops are bad? No, maybe 1% fit the bill of bad cop, and another 1% have really, really poor decision making skills (like the SC shooting). I think 98% of police officers are good people who just want to go home to their families. But it's hard to do this when you are in a poverty stricken area where people have been conditioned to hate the police.

You know somebody is white when they use their black friends as reference material for discussions on race.  Or at least not black.

The root of these issues is systematic.  One thing is all related to another.  Poverty, schools, jobs, the economy, parenting, race, community, individual decision making influenced by cultural trends, all these things are interconnected and related to produce outcomes.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 12:21:52 »

Ads are one thing, but having to fill out some survey just to see the news article is something I've never seen before

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 12:22:57 »

Ads are one thing, but having to fill out some survey just to see the news article is something I've never seen before
I've actually started to see those pop up a little bit more often

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 12:30:24 »

1. Yes, I have read that black people on average statistically commit more crimes in America, though I'm interested about the part where bill effectiveduck (sorry billnye, my bad!) says "*basically* regardless of economic background". In particular, it's the "basically" modifier that intrigues me - can you make this more precise?

You know somebody is white when they use their black friends as reference material for discussions on race.  Or at least not black.

The root of these issues is systematic.  One thing is all related to another.  Poverty, schools, jobs, the economy, parenting, race, community, individual decision making influenced by cultural trends, all these things are interconnected and related to produce outcomes.

What's your point? What does my ethnicity have to do with this? You just repeated the exact same thing I said, except with a snarky and pointless comment.

Note that I mentioned it is not race, it is linked to poverty, and also familial upbringing, and other factors, so you're just regurgitating what I said. My comment on my black friends was meant to address the fact that it is not race that influences your actions, but environment and family values.

Offline tbc

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 12:40:31 »

What's your point? What does my ethnicity have to do with this? You just repeated the exact same thing I said, except with a snarky and pointless comment.

Note that I mentioned it is not race, it is linked to poverty, and also familial upbringing, and other factors, so you're just regurgitating what I said. My comment on my black friends was meant to address the fact that it is not race that influences your actions, but environment and family values.

americans just tend to have a lot of racial baggage.  makes things rather silly.  eg baltimore, ferguson
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 12:43:40 »

I wanna laugh when I see this. ttzhou is neither white, nor born in the Americas.

Because of the diversity of geekhack we have very different approaches to these social issues. I would have sanctioned live ammunition and head shots against the rioters. But I would also have fired the entire police department, confiscated everyone's pension and barred them from future employment with the government if they did not stop covering up for each other.

Any solution to a severe problem needs to be suitably radical as well. If you don't want live ammo and head shots, then maybe you need a very thorough and far reaching program of community outreach and communication between the police and residents, plus much more transparent and accountable police actions such as compulsory use of body cameras at all times and presumption of guilt if a policeman fails to keep his camera on at all times.

If you want a compromise milquetoast solution, it won't cure the deep underlying problems ranging from endemic crime in black communities to ingrained racism in the police force.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 14:31:28 »

I wanna laugh when I see this. ttzhou is neither white, nor born in the Americas.

Because of the diversity of geekhack we have very different approaches to these social issues. I would have sanctioned live ammunition and head shots against the rioters. But I would also have fired the entire police department, confiscated everyone's pension and barred them from future employment with the government if they did not stop covering up for each other.

Any solution to a severe problem needs to be suitably radical as well. If you don't want live ammo and head shots, then maybe you need a very thorough and far reaching program of community outreach and communication between the police and residents, plus much more transparent and accountable police actions such as compulsory use of body cameras at all times and presumption of guilt if a policeman fails to keep his camera on at all times.

If you want a compromise milquetoast solution, it won't cure the deep underlying problems ranging from endemic crime in black communities to ingrained racism in the police force.

You're essentially saying, "kill everybody"   let's nuke ourselves, so there are no problems, therefore no solution is necessary..

Hahahahha

This does work btw.. IF and ONLY IF  you're god..   he's the only guy with the ability to pull something like this off.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:46:27 »

Your other 98% of cops are equally bad by keeping their mouth shut. See that's part of the problem, the thin blue line police follow. Everybody says it's a few bad apples yet the rest do nothing about it. Police departments need a serious ****ing overhaul.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:51:56 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:54:34 »

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:59:03 »
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 16:11:32 »
Your other 98% of cops are equally bad by keeping their mouth shut. See that's part of the problem, the thin blue line police follow. Everybody says it's a few bad apples yet the rest do nothing about it. Police departments need a serious ****ing overhaul.

I see your point. But at least try to understand the difficult position they are in. These bad cops are men and women these good cops work with every day, who might one day actually save their ass. If you are in that situation, would you be so quick to betray them? If your best friend committed a heinous crime, would you so quickly turn them in? It's so easy for us to sit in an armchair and criticize them and act like we are altruistic paragons of righteousness.

Another question: how do we know that officers do not report them? Most of the time, it is a *jury* of *citizens* who acquit these officers.

I do agree, police departments need a serious overhaul. So do the political systems. In fact, a lot of institutions need serious overhauls. But where is the media attention towards those institutions? Why aren't we equally as outraged at white collar criminals who embezzle billions? Politicians who levy wars that send young men to their deaths?

I'm just trying to avoid dealing with absolutes. Dealing with absolutes is a surefire way to lead to bad decisions. There are always two sides to the story.

Anyway, I can see that this is going to just spark more strong opinions. I'll just stop here and let you guys have the last word.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 16:15:14 »
Show Image

IS THAT A BOMB?!

I dunno :/
I think this picture represents a decent human gesture.

I just wanted to get this in here before we warp the interpretation of this to something ridiculous like here's a poor marginalized black kid being forced to provide a tax to tightey whitey. This is of course symbolic of taxes, which fundamentally impact poor substantially more than the middle and upper class, and also of the cycle of oppression. Also Capitalism is dead. Socialism and redistribution is alive and well. Take take take, the government is out to get you and carry guns. Yada Yada Yada I'm a stupid liberal.
Yada Yada Yada I'm a dumb conservative. Yada Yada Yada this isn't about race it's about economics. Yada Yada Yada I'm not a racist.

If you don't think this an accurate caricature of this thread then take a moment to read some of the stupid senseless **** you've written.
Good day folks and go **** yourself.  :))

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 17:18:40 »

+1
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 17:18:52 »
Show Image

those kid's new balance's are pretty sweet

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 18:05:47 »
The media has framed this as a race issue and the cattle are being herded appropriately.
i hope this is a joke post
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 18:47:50 »

I see your point. But at least try to understand the difficult position they are in. These bad cops are men and women these good cops work with every day, who might one day actually save their ass. If you are in that situation, would you be so quick to betray them? If your best friend committed a heinous crime, would you so quickly turn them in? It's so easy for us to sit in an armchair and criticize them and act like we are altruistic paragons of righteousness.

Another question: how do we know that officers do not report them? Most of the time, it is a *jury* of *citizens* who acquit these officers.

I do agree, police departments need a serious overhaul. So do the political systems. In fact, a lot of institutions need serious overhauls. But where is the media attention towards those institutions? Why aren't we equally as outraged at white collar criminals who embezzle billions? Politicians who levy wars that send young men to their deaths?

I'm just trying to avoid dealing with absolutes. Dealing with absolutes is a surefire way to lead to bad decisions. There are always two sides to the story.

Anyway, I can see that this is going to just spark more strong opinions. I'll just stop here and let you guys have the last word.

did you seriously just justify keeping quiet on a corrupt cop because he might "have your back" one day? that makes cops that dont say **** look like bigger cowards. yes, there are cops that speak up. very few. because from the top they get nonstop harassment. there is a story on NPR about a cop that went public (and recorded) about cops having ticket quotas in NY. what happened to him? whole department treated him like he was crazy. how about the guy in arizona (or some **** hole state) that recently beat the **** out of a homeless guy and wouldn't stop until the homeless guy said "you're the man?" he had a partner, didn't say a ****ing thing. who did? a cadet. and what happened to that cadet? he quit and had to move states because of the harassment he was going to receive.

and it's funny, because law enforcement is so behind stopping the "stop snitching" movement. yet the cowards do it themselves.

from the judge, DA to the **** cops on the street, law enforcement is absolute ****.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 20:01:15 »
A cop killed a drug dealer leading to people giving themselves an excuse to act like animals. That's how it started.

Now it's evolved from something utterly stupid and unjustified into a political race riot of an extremely susceptible economic group of Baltimore citizens. This entire thing is sad to watch. Humanity devolving right before our eyes.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 20:09:05 »

did you seriously just justify keeping quiet on a corrupt cop because he might "have your back" one day? that makes cops that dont say **** look like bigger cowards. yes, there are cops that speak up. very few. because from the top they get nonstop harassment. there is a story on NPR about a cop that went public (and recorded) about cops having ticket quotas in NY. what happened to him? whole department treated him like he was crazy. how about the guy in arizona (or some **** hole state) that recently beat the **** out of a homeless guy and wouldn't stop until the homeless guy said "you're the man?" he had a partner, didn't say a ****ing thing. who did? a cadet. and what happened to that cadet? he quit and had to move states because of the harassment he was going to receive.

and it's funny, because law enforcement is so behind stopping the "stop snitching" movement. yet the cowards do it themselves.

from the judge, DA to the **** cops on the street, law enforcement is absolute ****.

No, I didn't justify anything. I simply said that we should try and empathize with their position.

What would you do in their position? Have you been in their position? I'm not a cop, so I can't say. But neither are you. I agree with you on the LAPD and the NYPD being corrupt. But you would have to say NYPD, LAPD are corrupt police departments. It's not law enforcement as a whole, though, so I have to disagree with you on your final statement, it's painting with a really wide brush.

I do agree that there is corruption in the system, but it's no different than any other institution like politics and high finance. It just gets more focus. Why don't we give the same amount of focus to the rampant drug problem that is feeding this in the first place, or the thousands of other complex factors?

Good points though!  ;D And you could be right as well, I am just speaking from my personal experience with police here in Canada, I do find that 98% of cops are good folks. Maybe it really is that bad in the States, in which case, it's a whole other question - why is this the case?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 20:16:42 »

No, I didn't justify anything. I simply said that we should try and empathize with their position.

What would you do in their position? Have you been in their position? I'm not a cop, so I can't say. But neither are you. I agree with you on the LAPD and the NYPD being corrupt. But you would have to say NYPD, LAPD are corrupt police departments. It's not law enforcement as a whole, though, so I have to disagree with you on your final statement, it's painting with a really wide brush.

I do agree that there is corruption in the system, but it's no different than any other institution like politics and high finance. It just gets more focus. Why don't we give the same amount of focus to the rampant drug problem that is feeding this in the first place, or the thousands of other complex factors?

Good points though!  ;D And you could be right as well, I am just speaking from my personal experience with police here in Canada, I do find that 98% of cops are good folks. Maybe it really is that bad in the States, in which case, it's a whole other question - why is this the case?

i can't empathize with a cop. they know what they signed up for. not like they were told the job will be full of daises and butterflies from day one.

and why is it bad? no accountability. PDs purposely hiring cops with low IQs.

cop doesnt give a **** if they're caught on tape. DA won't charge them, their union backs them up and if they eventually lose the lawsuit, the city will pay. no money out of pocket. gets fired? eh, no biggie, i'll move to another town and become a cop there.

LAPD, NYPD, APD, any PD. same ****, different toilet.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 06:05:14 »
"LAPD, NYPD, APD, any PD. same ****, different toilet."

Demik, that was the most awesome statement I have seen in a while...

That said, I don't think the police in my country are ****. We call them poodles (because poodles are dogs that bark furiously for their masters).

Police are different based on the national culture. As a non black person I would rather have a brutal and racist police force, than one that can't get anything done. In Singapore the police run for cover when there is a riot, then emerge en masse to harass political dissidents. At least I have grudging respect for the US police.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 11:50:19 »
As a non black person I would rather have a brutal and racist police force, than one that can't get anything done. In Singapore the police run for cover when there is a riot, then emerge en masse to harass political dissidents. At least I have grudging respect for the US police.

As a non black person I would rather have a brutal and racist police force, than one that can't get anything done. In Singapore the police run for cover when there is a riot, then emerge en masse to harass political dissidents. At least I have grudging respect for the US police.

Totalitarianism vs anarchy is not a choice, both should be despised. 

And I don't get the rationale behind saying "as a non black person".  As a human being, you should be concerned anytime any person is abused by people who abuse their power.  That's just basic human empathy.

In addition to that, there's the understanding of human behavior that should make you despise it.  As their power increases and remains unchecked due to a lack of punishments for bad behavior, no true systemic checks against their behavior, and a lack of people with clout standing up to them, there are fewer and fewer barriers in place to stop them from coming after others because they know nothing will happen.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 13:27:55 »

Totalitarianism vs anarchy is not a choice, both should be despised. 

And I don't get the rationale behind saying "as a non black person".  As a human being, you should be concerned anytime any person is abused by people who abuse their power.  That's just basic human empathy.

In addition to that, there's the understanding of human behavior that should make you despise it.  As their power increases and remains unchecked due to a lack of punishments for bad behavior, no true systemic checks against their behavior, and a lack of people with clout standing up to them, there are fewer and fewer barriers in place to stop them from coming after others because they know nothing will happen.

Nubbinator, in response I will observe the following:

ONE

Me pointing out that I am non-black does not suggest that black lives don’t matter. That’s your own stretched conclusion. Rather, it is an acknowledgement of a potential bias or different starting point in my assumptions. Which is that the police are not a ‘racist occupying force’ but exist to keep order. (The order itself may be unjust but it is not the police’s duty to create a just social order.)

The police are properly to be controlled by elected officials and civilian authorities. If you are not happy with the conduct of the police, either elect a new police commissioner or get your mayor to appoint a suitable commish (depending on what your local political system does.) The fact that the black mayor, black police commissioner, and majority black city councillors of Baltimore have not seen fit to reform their police department suggests that it is not an electoral issue that greatly matters to the two-thirds black population of Baltimore.

‘Basic human empathy’ suggests that we should respect the views and values of these people. Remember, when people are actually voting and making coolheaded decisions, they may be thinking: “I hate the racist corrupt police, but they are still better than the thugs in my crime ridden neighbourhood. So long as the bad guys are scared of the police, I’ll hold my nose and accept things as they are.”

And that’s how I would have voted too. I did not say it was a pleasing choice.

TWO

This is not the first time I have heard Singapore described as a dictatorship, a totalitarian state, a fascist state or whatever. That fails spectacularly in describing the state of affairs here.

I call this an electoral monarchy because the political culture in Singapore most resembles the political culture in another island country at a particular point in its political development.
When Hobbes was writing the Leviathan, the large majority of English people and most Europeans believed in absolute monarchy. Many people were deeply upset that a (literally) unholy alliance of property owners and religious fanatics did away with their monarch. If everyone could vote in 1651, they would almost certainly have voted for their existing monarchs.

Hobbes has since been superseded in Europe, but it took them a long time. Royalists were still influential in 20th century Europe. At present a number of countries still believe in the Hobbesian view of politics, including Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia and Bhutan. The populace will vote enthusiastically for their king! Local monarchs still command a lot of respect and moral authority in many African and Arab countries. Political evolution takes time.

I do not think authoritarianism is necessarily despicable, or even that it can develop unchecked and escalate endlessly. The Western world is influenced by the example of Nazism and Niemoller’s words. Every authoritarian system has its own natural limits. Kim Jong Un for instance is very powerful but he is still restrained by the need to appeal to his own ruling clique that supports him in his daily affairs.

As for the police departments in the USA, they can always be restrained every election cycle. The question is whether voters actually want to.

Now let me tell you this unvarnished reality my dear Nubbinator and fellow geeks. You guys are NOT going to vote for police reform. You may grumble, but when the next election comes you will vote for the incumbent with more name recognition or the guy from your preferred political party. That’s how Americans always vote.

Offline tbc

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 14:06:20 »
That’s how Americans always vote.

well....some of them.  alot of people in western nations just don't vote.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 14:40:36 »
Me pointing out that I am non-black does not suggest that black lives don’t matter. That’s your own stretched conclusion. Rather, it is an acknowledgement of a potential bias or different starting point in my assumptions.

I never said you said black lives don't matter, I said it's unjust to say that since the issue does not affect you due to your race that it doesn't really matter that they're brutal and aggressive toward certain people.

Which is that the police are not a ‘racist occupying force’ but exist to keep order. (The order itself may be unjust but it is not the police’s duty to create a just social order.)

Not sure where you got anything about a "racist occupying force" as I never said anything like that.

Your statement is problematic as police claim to be there to serve and protect, yet are not obligated to render aid and assistance.  A police force who is there to keep order and who often resort to brutal tactics are no better than a foreign occupying force.

The police are properly to be controlled by elected officials and civilian authorities. If you are not happy with the conduct of the police, either elect a new police commissioner or get your mayor to appoint a suitable commish (depending on what your local political system does.) The fact that the black mayor, black police commissioner, and majority black city councillors of Baltimore have not seen fit to reform their police department suggests that it is not an electoral issue that greatly matters to the two-thirds black population of Baltimore.

That's an overreaching assumption.  You ignore the power of police unions and how police routinely engage in harassing behavior and smear campaigns against those who speak out against them.  It's almost impossible to reform police departments without FBI investigations or bad cops getting killed (not that I'm suggesting the latter).  Many cities, including Baltimore, have attempted civilian oversight of police departments, but they're ineffective and have no power to do anything.  The rare instances where there's the ability to do top to bottom police reform is the result of corruption and arrests of top officials.

In other words, to say it's not something that people care about is an untrue statement.  It's something people care about, but are not empowered to make a change about because the police have been given too much power and independence and it cannot be revoked.

‘Basic human empathy’ suggests that we should respect the views and values of these people. Remember, when people are actually voting and making coolheaded decisions, they may be thinking: “I hate the racist corrupt police, but they are still better than the thugs in my crime ridden neighbourhood. So long as the bad guys are scared of the police, I’ll hold my nose and accept things as they are.”

And that’s how I would have voted too. I did not say it was a pleasing choice.

Many in the poor neighborhoods prefer gangs to police since gangs are more likely to play by the rules and provide order in a neighborhood.  As long as police continue to have an us and them mindset instead of engaging in community policing, this will continue to be an issue.

TWO

This is not the first time I have heard Singapore described as a dictatorship, a totalitarian state, a fascist state or whatever. That fails spectacularly in describing the state of affairs here.

More
I call this an electoral monarchy because the political culture in Singapore most resembles the political culture in another island country at a particular point in its political development.
When Hobbes was writing the Leviathan, the large majority of English people and most Europeans believed in absolute monarchy. Many people were deeply upset that a (literally) unholy alliance of property owners and religious fanatics did away with their monarch. If everyone could vote in 1651, they would almost certainly have voted for their existing monarchs.

Hobbes has since been superseded in Europe, but it took them a long time. Royalists were still influential in 20th century Europe. At present a number of countries still believe in the Hobbesian view of politics, including Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia and Bhutan. The populace will vote enthusiastically for their king! Local monarchs still command a lot of respect and moral authority in many African and Arab countries. Political evolution takes time.

I do not think authoritarianism is necessarily despicable, or even that it can develop unchecked and escalate endlessly. The Western world is influenced by the example of Nazism and Niemoller’s words. Every authoritarian system has its own natural limits. Kim Jong Un for instance is very powerful but he is still restrained by the need to appeal to his own ruling clique that supports him in his daily affairs.

I never called Singapore a totalitarian state.  The discussion was on police and I was stating that there are two extremes that you were describing, the totalitarian state approach that US police often take and the laissez-faire or anarchic approach of the Singaporean police you were describing, both of which are bad.

As for the police departments in the USA, they can always be restrained every election cycle. The question is whether voters actually want to.

Again, I point back to fundamentally misunderstanding American politics, as I already discussed above.

Now let me tell you this unvarnished reality my dear Nubbinator and fellow geeks. You guys are NOT going to vote for police reform. You may grumble, but when the next election comes you will vote for the incumbent with more name recognition or the guy from your preferred political party. That’s how Americans always vote.

Again, you are flat out wrong on this. I rarely vote for the incumbent, especially in Orange County where most of them are conservative yes men.  I always vote for someone who I feel will bring accountability and work in the best interest of the people.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 20:46:58 »
a peaceful protestor, Joseph Kent, just got abducted in what looks like an army vehicle
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:07:05 »

Many in the poor neighborhoods prefer gangs to police since gangs are more likely to play by the rules and provide order in a neighborhood.  As long as police continue to have an us and them mindset instead of engaging in community policing, this will continue to be an issue.

I think the issue, as was sort of touched upon by demik and I during our discussion, is the hiring practices and training that modern police receive. I was talking to my boxing coach, who is an old school police, he was coached by an old school police, and they always tell us how different modern police are trained. They are trained to be like soldiers, rather than guardians, which fits in exactly with this "us against them" mentality, and I think a lot of this had to with the whole "war on drugs" political motion that has been going on in the past few decades.

He was telling me how old school police would always know their communities, and everyone knew the local cop who walked their beat. They rarely had to resort to violence to solve problems... if there was drugs, they'd find out who was distributing, and take it from there. Nowadays, there's more cops, but less talking - it's all about knocking heads, and rips of low level guys, while the upper level dealers continue to go on unpunished. Seeing these militarized cops beating on poor kids who are trying to make money (not excusing their actions, they are lazy and worthless for dealing drugs) doesn't really help the image or the situation, and that is going to come to a head, like what just happened.

This difference of soldier vs guardian/investigator contributes I think to the disconnect between the police and the people they are supposed to protect. Humans trust people they can connect with and talk to... not people who come around and beat down their ass. Add on the valid points about how the departments are growing unchecked in power, and the numerous civil rights infringements, and it's no wonder why these recent occurrences have happened.

I wonder how big of an issue this will be in your next election?

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:22:05 »

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:35:03 »
I'm still waiting on the reports that are to be out next week. No use jumping ahead like Ferguson before all the information is out.

If the cops are in the wrong, then yeah give them their punishment like the cop in South Carolina.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:36:53 »
why are people defending the actions of the protesters itt?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:40:30 »
well peaceful protest is fine. the people that are looting and getting violent usually don't care about the cause and are just taking advantage of a favorable situation.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:44:45 »
well peaceful protest is fine. the people that are looting and getting violent usually don't care about the cause and are just taking advantage of a favorable situation.

Yeah exactly, and somehow this thread has devolved into yet another police brutality thread. If anything, this is the exact opposite of that where it's the citizens acting like ****s and the cops are the ones getting hurt and putting themselves out there to protect these neighborhoods yet no one seems to find any empathy when the tables are turned. You can't just take an arguments side simply when it suits you.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:52:13 »
lol protect these neighborhoods.

http://www.businessinsider.com/baltimore-paid-5-million-in-4-years-for-police-brutality-lawsuits-2015-4

nobody is defending the looters. they're opportunists, we can all agree to that. they make the actual protesters look bad.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:58:12 by demik »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:58:06 »
Yeah you're right, all police officers are always evil all the time.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:58:53 »
not all.

some are cowards that don't speak up. and are just as bad.

but hey, the blue line must not be crossed.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-police-detain-americans-black-site

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 22:10:29 »
not all.

some are cowards that don't speak up. and are just as bad.

but hey, the blue line must not be crossed.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-police-detain-americans-black-site

You know, it may really be that bad in the trenches where you are, and in which case, I feel lucky to not have to be in that kind of environment. But not all cops are evil, and those who do not speak up are not necessarily cowards. They have their own families that they have to take care of as well. It's not all as black and white as you make it seem to be, and it's not healthy to label *all* cops as the enemy - that kind of behaviour is not much different than racism. Not saying you are a racist, just drawing parallels between the attitudes.

That being said, you present some alarming examples of police corruption, and that is definitely something that needs to be fixed post haste, and I learned something from that, so thank you on that point.