Author Topic: What should be my next purchase?  (Read 1051 times)

Offline ashcraft

What should be my next purchase?
« on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:00:27 »
I have a quickfire rapid atm, so far I love it and it has made me love mechanical keyboards. But I was starting to believe I should purchase something new whenever I buy new computer parts. What should I purchase? I like tenkeyless, I have no real need for the numb-pad and I like being able to carry it wherever I need to. I was thinking of grabbing the KUL-ES87,  but what are you opinions? Is there a newer or better tenkeyless out right now? Maybe you found problems with the es87? Thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Thanks

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: What should be my next purchase?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:06:14 »
QFR to KUL... not worth it.

Try a HHKB? RF 55g?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:08:59 »
Like absyrd said, that's not really an upgrade or anything, especially if you stick with the same switch.  You really need to specify what you're looking for, what kind of feel and usage situations and typing style, and get some feedback from there.

Offline ashcraft

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:22:06 »
I understand where you're coming from with it not actually being an upgrade, now that I look at it with that as a thought I agree with you 2 there.

Well, I like the feel of the quickfire, the multimedia keys are necessary for me and I like having the arrow keys. The HHKB is a little too expensive for my taste, my price range would cap at 150. I like to do some light gaming but nothing major, so far this quickfire has been more than enough for my gaming needs so no need for any actual 'gaming' keyboards.

Overall this would be a keyboard for light gaming and web surfing. I like the thought of multimedia keys because when I am not at work I usually lay in my bed and watch movies.

But really I am just new to mechanical keyboards and while the HHKB looks awesome in my opinion, I cant fork out 230 dollars for it.

Price is my major deciding factor when choosing to buy something.

I guess my necessities would be,
  • 150 or less
  • Arrow keys
  • Multimedia keys (I guess I could deal without them)

Anything else?
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:28:48 by ashcraft »

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 12:45:51 »
Keep saving for a HHKB, you'll probably end up buying one sooner or later and its cheaper to go straight to the "endgame" products in most hobbies.
May all your key presses strike true.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 12:49:17 »
You shouldn't really be considering buying another board unless it's for a switch change or because your current board lacks features.  If you want to get a KUL because you want to try out clears or something then go for it, but if you want to go from a red switch QFR to a red switch KUL then that's a waste of money.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 12:51:40 »
You shouldn't really be considering buying another board unless it's for a switch change or because your current board lacks features.  If you want to get a KUL because you want to try out clears or something then go for it, but if you want to go from a red switch QFR to a red switch KUL then that's a waste of money.

For sure. Are you looking for something tactile or linear, ashcraft?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 20:28:37 »
Find a kit board that you can afford. Build it and program it yourself to your own liking.
After I build one myself as I liked it... it has stayed my primary keyboard. I've bought and tried many others too since, and asides from a few rare 'collectible' Cherry boards they all come and go, often to resale in a short time. Nothing really beats your own custom build.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 18:51:09 »
The Final Keyboard before Ergodox 2... is...

ERGODOX

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 20:55:57 »
SSK
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Altis

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 22:43:03 »
I know it's hard to tell after one keyboard, but what do you like in a keyboard?

Is there a certain feel, sound, look, weighting, color scheme, or anything that you like or are curious about?
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)