Author Topic: How much exercise do you get?  (Read 6921 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
How much exercise do you get?
« on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 02:15:51 »
I get so little exercise it's not even funny, I think one of the things I need to start doing is to get out more and get in shape, to where I don't lose my breath after 3 minutes of running...

Offline raymogi

Re: How much exercise do you get?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 02:21:35 »
Nothing at all lately. Unless 10fastfingers counts. It's an exercise for my delicate fingers amirite?
Please feed my addiction.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 03:00:47 »
I usually go on a 30-40 minute run 3 times a week

If you're looking to get into running you should do couch to 5k - I was always someone who hated exercising and couldn't run for longer than a couple of minutes like you but after doing that program I've moved on to running a half marathon and quitting smoking

Offline joey

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 03:16:06 »
Not enough.

I have a 3.5 mile cycle to work, so 7 miles a day.

I've tried to go for walks / jogs but I do it once or twice then not again for a month or two :/

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 03:37:13 »
not much,
I do mattress and furniture delivery ~20h/week. beds are solid latex and are ~90-180lbs depending on size and thickness, floppy as anything. Frames can be 120lb headboards. aside from that, i dont go to the gym. I walk probably 2-3miles a day on average, dont really count as exercise.
I also smoke.
could be worse?

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 03:44:40 »
does driving count?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 03:47:27 »
does driving count?

Do you drive a truck with a crash box transmission, if no than... no.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 03:49:11 »
does driving count?

but I do drive a race spec GT3 Porsche at weekends

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 03:52:54 »
does driving count?

Hnnnngggg envy  :'(

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 03:59:56 »
does driving count?

Hnnnngggg envy  :'(

i lied ^-^

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 04:20:37 »
2 miles every morning and weights at night.  Just got back from the gym.  So.  Hungry.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 04:22:57 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 04:24:20 »
About an hour's walk every weekday.  I seem to walk about 1.5x the pace of everyone else, so that's probably a reasonably vigorous walk.

Not as much on the weekends, maybe a quick round of the playground with my daughter, gardening etc.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 05:41:51 »
Almost enough..

I just never quite get a regular exercise thing going. I suppose I should reorganise and reprioritise a little.

Nowadays once or twice a week rowing my boat and I walk to work and back.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 06:48:21 »
I have to walk up stairs to get to my office.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 07:50:39 »
I'm pissed that they still haven't really come up with the Official "How to Be a Human" Manual..

It'd be nice to have some solid numbers as to how much of this "work out" I really need..

Then I can INTERNET in peace without having to worry about premature failure of major organs...

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 08:54:43 »
I'm pissed that they still haven't really come up with the Official "How to Be a Human" Manual..

It'd be nice to have some solid numbers as to how much of this "work out" I really need..

Then I can INTERNET in peace without having to worry about premature failure of major organs...
Show Image

This is what you need

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:01:16 »
Not enough.

This. I need to get back into cycling and yoga.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:04:19 »
I work out for 2 Hours a day, ~5 Days a week. Its just become a part of my routine after work, if I skip the gym I feel so aimless and anxious if I'm not doing something important.

I also try to do Yoga once a week, although I've been pretty bad about that lately. Definitely helps with my lifting though, in terms of recovery and form.

Offline jamster

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 11:18:28 »
I work out for 2 Hours a day, ~5 Days a week. Its just become a part of my routine after work, if I skip the gym I feel so aimless and anxious if I'm not doing something important.

I also try to do Yoga once a week, although I've been pretty bad about that lately. Definitely helps with my lifting though, in terms of recovery and form.

It's so good being able to exercise enough to addict yourself to it. Exercise goes from a chore to pure joy.

2-3 times a week here. 45 minute workouts. Simple strength work with weights.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 22:36:08 »
Basically none.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 00:44:31 »
Just work. 

Though I work as a union millwright.  Essentially industrial construction, machinery maint, steel fabrication, etc.

Last week alone I worked 94 hours. 

Most tiring job was working at an ethanol plant.  After sending the crane home from flying 120 feet worth of replacement drag conveyor chain to the top of the silos, we found out we were 8 feet short.  So we had to take 8 feet of the old chain, drive it to the shop, replace the flighting (all cutting with angle grinders and cut off wheels, and weld new back on).  With the new chain back at the plant we had to hike it up 247 steps to the top of the silos.  This section of chain weighed 150+ pounds, and zero good way to carry it.  Here is a pic of a very close approximation to what we carried.  The links in the chain were 6 inches long.  That was about a 14 hour day.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 00:46:08 »
not alot, i'm quie out of shape.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 02:19:22 »
Very little to none, if you include what i do weekly... :(

I am one of those who has not motivation, moans about having no motivation and does nothing to motivate themselves. 

In short, I sleep, i wake, i drive to work, i sit I work for 8 hours, i drive home, I sit, I sleep.  add into that personal hygiene acts, cleaning the house and once a week going to visit the parental units.

So yeah probably gonna die earlier than i should. 

It would be cool if there was an app for fitness buddy's, where based upon location and interests pairs you up with like minded unfit people.

Or i should quit procrastinating and do something before its too late.

H

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 02:51:12 »
I walk to work (15 minutes fast as possible and slightly slower home) but otherwise pretty much what hudson said.  I used to go to the gym twice a week doing 50 minute circuits or kettles classes and to karate once a week until late last year when I got an annoying minor wrist injury and never went back to it.

Didn't experiene the endorphin rush that's supposed to get you hooked, it did nothing to aid my confidence (not that I needed it) and didn't give me any motivation in other areas of my life so in short I think exercise is overrated.  Who cares if I don't live to be 60, I have no desire to.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 02:53:46 »
I woke up late..

Called the driver (hand exercise)

Went downstairs to wait (leg exercise)

Ate ice cream (hand exercise, upper body)

got in the car (whole body exercise)

got out (whole body exercise)

walk to machine shop (leg exercise)

sat down in front of PC controller (torso exercise)

Continue sitting for 4 hours (torso exercise)

Walk to buy more ice cream at local shop (upper body)

Then walk to bus stop (buses are faster during rush hour vs car)

Then walk from bus stop to apartment (300 meters leg exercise)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 13:36:18 »
I don't really exercise except some random stretching and a daily series of push-ups/crunches… and I walk (or run, when necessary) to/from the bus stop, which is actually about 3+ km/day currently thrice a week. However, I do have a standing setup and have to walk up/down the stairs all the time, thus I probably get more exercise than most people, that consciously go to a gym, in the end.

Offline iri

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 19:55:35 »
I carry 15kg of beer to beautiful spots.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 21:18:06 »
Does walking to the fridge count?  Haha, I'm kidding...

I go to the office about 4 times a week. That commute involves about an hour of walking each day.

Now that I have a toddler I actually get a little bit more. He is old enough to go out and kick a soccer (footie) ball around, so we do that for about 30 mins most nights.  I also put him to bed and our routine includes us snuggling on a yoga ball and me bouncing him to sleep. So that's another 30 mins every day. So ya. Starting to get some exercise now. Nothing crazy, but enough to keep the weight off. Actually lost 35 lbs in the past year and a half, so that is good. I was about 40 lbs over where I should be, so I am pretty happy with where I'm at now.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 21:25:45 »
I ride my bicycle for half an hour daily. The smooth hills I live in give a good amount of variety to the ride.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 21:31:35 »
I ride my bicycle for half an hour daily. The smooth hills I live in give a good amount of variety to the ride.
Nice. That's a fun activity and great for changing the air in you lungs.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 21:32:44 »

The yoga I do every week is the hardest part of working out. :'(

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 21:58:25 »
I run 3 miles several times a week and am trying to participate in 5k's more regularly.

I'm trying to get back into swimming regularly as that is much more "whole body" than jogging.

And then there's the kid exercise: between helping coach soccer and being a jungle gym and just generally trying to keep them alive...

So yeah, I actually feel pretty decent lately on the exercise front. Now sleep on the other hand...

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 00:07:20 »
One hour of walking everyday to work.. making me crazy

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 00:27:50 »
Been getting right back into the exercise lately as a way to control my depression, seems to be working reasonably well so far. Only bad thing is I really feel it when I miss a day. The last week I've done 3 hikes, one boot camp workout that I used to do for grid iron training, and one yoga session earlier in the week.

Helps that I've recently moved a lot closer to the city, there are so many nice places to get out and do things.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 01:15:55 »
I run 3 miles several times a week and am trying to participate in 5k's more regularly.

I'm trying to get back into swimming regularly as that is much more "whole body" than jogging.

And then there's the kid exercise: between helping coach soccer and being a jungle gym and just generally trying to keep them alive...

So yeah, I actually feel pretty decent lately on the exercise front. Now sleep on the other hand...

My hips can't take it....  I'm OLD

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 04:26:08 »
I cycle to work every day. It's about 8km each way and I try to keep a quick pace all the way. I use Strava and have set up a few segments so I can try to best my own times along the way. I'd recommend it for anyone, whether you consider yourself a 'serious' runner/cyclist. I also try to do longer rides at weekends of at least 20km ~50km.

I'm dreading winter when it gets too icy. Riding to work saves me money and time and means I can take my daughter to karate when I get home.

Edit: I'm in my late 30's so I am starting to realise how important it is to take care of myself. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 October 2015, 04:28:55 by stoic-lemon »

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 04:31:38 »
Been getting right back into the exercise lately as a way to control my depression, seems to be working reasonably well so far. Only bad thing is I really feel it when I miss a day. The last week I've done 3 hikes, one boot camp workout that I used to do for grid iron training, and one yoga session earlier in the week.

Helps that I've recently moved a lot closer to the city, there are so many nice places to get out and do things.

I get that a bit - helps if you have two workouts that you alternate

For a while I was alternating strength training at the gym with running each day - problem is that even with different workouts I got burnout fairly quickly

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 04:32:16 »
I cycle to work every day. It's about 8km each way and I try to keep a quick pace all the way. I use Strava and have set up a few segments so I can try to best my own times along the way. I'd recommend it for anyone, whether you consider yourself a 'serious' runner/cyclist. I also try to do longer rides at weekends of at least 20km ~50km.

I'm dreading winter when it gets too icy. Riding to work saves me money and time and means I can take my daughter to karate when I get home.

Edit: I'm in my late 30's so I am starting to realise how important it is to take care of myself. :)

Is cycling the fastest way around?  how bout moped.

What do you do about the sweating , when you get to work..  Do you guys have work showers like in canada.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 04:37:27 »

Is cycling the fastest way around?  how bout moped.

What do you do about the sweating , when you get to work..  Do you guys have work showers like in canada.

Sweat is one of the worst things about cycling to work since they're are no showers. I have to use the special cleansing deodorant towels they sell here. Gets the job done and I smell better than the PE teacher. I used the sweet thing as an excuse for a while, but at the end of the day, it's that or get fatter.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 04:57:47 »
One hour of walking everyday to work.. making me crazy

Do you walk an hour FROM work too?  Or is it more like 30 minute walk to work and 30 minute walk from work?

I have a 20 minute walk to the railway station, then a 30 minute train ride, change trains, another short ride, then about 10 minutes walk from the city station to work.  The reverse on the way home.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 05:53:14 »
B.Ball twice a week.
I stabilize weight while the b.ball season is on, then start fatting again.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 06:25:50 »

I did a dynamic flow class every week for a couple years which did a pretty good job of kicking my ass.  Interestingly, I do less yoga now that I married the teacher. Haha...  I wonder what that's about. :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 06:38:16 »

I did a dynamic flow class every week for a couple years which did a pretty good job of kicking my ass.  Interestingly, I do less yoga now that I married the teacher. Haha...  I wonder what that's about. :)

You saw her bend over, 

Wow, you're weak...    Fortitude man, Fortitude.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 09:36:01 »

Tell me about it. After yoga I feel absolutely drained, and could eat anything in sight.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 13:32:01 »
Unfortunately zero exercise. I just can't force myself. It's not that I'm opposed to the idea in principle, I'm far from that. On the other hand, in practical terms, I just can't get around to it, can't deal with the repetitive nature of the thing, and otherwise it's hard to explain but I can't get myself to do it. Even though it's critical to my health, if I want my NAFL etc. to go away rather than progress to irreversible damage.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 13:46:18 »
Right now, nothing. I started boxing classes on May, but stopped it at the beginning of September: the classes started at 9pm, and after some weeks my sleep pattern got messed up. Too bad, I was liking it. :(

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 14:01:54 »
My exercise consists primarily of walking and movement related to my work. 

I average 6939.699 steps on a weekday and 2689.041 on a weekend.  For me this translates to 3.417 and 1.324 miles respectively.The weekend value is significantly lower because I do not walk to work and I do not carry my phone (pedometer) on me at all times like I do during the week.  These data were collected from 12/8/2013 to 7/7/2015.

An interesting calculation I was able to do with this data is miles on my shoes.  My last pair of shoes were used for 2298.32 miles.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 14:07:11 »
I usually work out 6 times a week for about an hour and a half (closer to 2 most of the time though) and play rugby 4 times a week for 2 hours as well.