Author Topic: Hoffman Drives to Florida; or, Let's Meetup From WI to FL! (SCHEDULE POSTED)  (Read 40281 times)

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
Re: Hoffman Drives to Florida; or, Let's Meetup From WI to FL! (SCHEDULE POSTED)
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 10:15:54 »
Last night was a blast. Enjoyed meeting and hanging out with you guys. We certainly need to meet up again in the near future.
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
Re: Hoffman Drives to Florida; or, Let's Meetup From WI to FL! (SCHEDULE POSTED)
« Reply #301 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 11:14:39 »
Frog legs time!

Aw man, I haven't had frog legs in, like, 30 years! They really do taste like chicken!  :p

Frog leg-cooking PRO TIP:
While the legs are first put in the skillet, dust them with salt and watch them twitch. The muscle tissue flexes as a result of the reaction to the sodium.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
Re: Hoffman Drives to Florida; or, Let's Meetup From WI to FL!
« Reply #302 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 11:18:00 »
Hoffmannnnn

Stop by my dystopia of Columbia, SC and you can crash at my place, and I'll feed you the best chicken and waffles you might ever have, go record shopping...yadda yadda. Could take a day or two off for ya buddy (or more, as much as you need :) )

And the best part...the time/distance matches up with your schedule  :thumb:

Show Image

so late to the punch on this. >_>

if you go that way i'm in Sumter SC 45mins away. make it happen
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2016, 11:21:30 by mrbishop »
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #303 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 15:43:32 »
Frog legs time!

Aw man, I haven't had frog legs in, like, 30 years! They really do taste like chicken!  :p

While the legs are first put in the skillet, dust them with salt and watch them twitch. The muscle tissue flexes as a result of the reaction to the sodium.

This is untrue.  The scientific reason this happens for smarmar is because the legs can't stand to be around such awesomeness without some sort of dancing.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #304 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 18:21:55 »
We didn't take any group photos, but here's a summary shot of last nights's fun. Great hang with Hoffmanmyster, tigersharkdude and Incredigasmic. It was big, big fun.

I'm trying to get the photos I took posted up on Flickr, but having some issues. I'll post a link when I get them figured out.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #305 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 18:50:40 »
^^I need the 'drunk' keywok .. lol

And sorry I had to leave last night, my stomach was starting to hurt like a *****

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #306 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 20:58:09 »
IMPENDING KITTEH

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #307 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 21:36:25 »
Puzzle time.  :)

Offline R1N3

« Reply #308 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 22:32:06 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #310 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 22:39:26 »
BBQ in Atlanta with fohat.digs and R1N3! So goooooood...

aaaannnd I'm hungry.

Offline R1N3

« Reply #311 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 22:42:46 »
IMPENDING KITTEH

my people's people~! :3

I thought this is illegal ?

Which part? Chicago is like the wild west: anything goes!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #312 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 05:33:20 »
Since you guys are in Nashville, I ran into this Filco Majestouch 2 for $80 while looking for something else:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/5365099968.html

<3 PM'd him.
Sweet!  He a member on here or did you mean email?

PM'd him on Craigslist
Gotcha.  :thumb:

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #313 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 08:37:05 »
Figured out and fixed the issue with Flickr. There aren't a lot of photos and still kicking myself for not getting a group shot, but you can find the album here.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
Hoffman Drives to Florida; or, Let's Meetup From WI to FL! (SCHEDULE POSTED)
« Reply #314 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:34:08 »
Brunch with Doom!

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #315 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:12:11 »
Chicken and Waffles!

The Coffee and Tea Exchange!

Hoff is overwhelmed by coffee!

Hoff and Nixie!

Some fresh cast caps

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:24:03 »
Show Image

Show Image

I see no glass of milk on the table! Who are you, and what have you done with Hoff?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #317 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:26:46 »
I've been found out!!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #318 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:31:30 »
I've been found out!!

Hey, steal me some Doom Caps while you're not drinking your milk.  :-X
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #319 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:33:14 »
I've been found out!!

Hey, steal me some Doom Caps while you're not drinking your milk.  :-X

I'll work on it.  ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #320 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 01:02:23 »
Alright, I just made it home a couple hours ago.  :)  I'm still processing the last week and a half, which has simultaneously blurred into a single moment and feels like it began a month ago.  I will post a much more cohesive and coherent post tomorrow.

For now though, I just want to quickly thank all of the people that indulged and entertained me the last few days, especially those that opened up their homes to me (heedpantsnow, Booper/scubaste, mashby, ImpendingxDoom).  I really, truly appreciate it, and cannot thank you enough.  I love you all, and all of you are welcome in my home at any time if you choose to travel a bit north.  ;)

And with that I enter this coma that is calling my name.

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #321 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 01:04:53 »
Alright, I just made it home a couple hours ago.  :)  I'm still processing the last week and a half, which has simultaneously blurred into a single moment and feels like it began a month ago.  I will post a much more cohesive and coherent post tomorrow.

For now though, I just want to quickly thank all of the people that indulged and entertained me the last few days, especially those that opened up their homes to me (heedpantsnow, Booper/scubaste, mashby, ImpendingxDoom).  I really, truly appreciate it, and cannot thank you enough.  I love you all, and all of you are welcome in my home at any time if you choose to travel a bit north.  ;)

:D

This has been the last 2 days for me^
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 January 2016, 01:19:31 by ImpendingxDoom »

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #322 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 20:27:59 »
I had fun Hoffman I hope you do it again next year!

I wish I could've taken you to some better spots. I owe you it!

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #323 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 23:14:09 »

I'm glad to hear you made it home safe! it was great to meet you!
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #324 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 21:12:10 »
Photo dump post:
(sorry for ****ty focus, exposure, and white balance...  :-[  photos were taken semi-hastily...)

Awesome beer haul after getting some buying advice for local brews from DanielUCF.  :)

FL BEER by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

This is what happens when you walk into a massive coffee shop and say "I'll take one of each".  (Note: Not literally one of each - more like one of 1/10 of each)

Coffee + Tea by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

These are all the keycaps that I was lucky enough to help make (or at least contribute in some way - moral support FTW!).  Plus a few from Booper's pile o rejects + the CC from rainb1ood.  :O

Booper + DOOM Caps by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Potato of Orangesicle CC from rainb1ood

Orangesicle CC by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Da BoopCaps

Booper Caps by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

DOOM

DOOM Caps by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

More Boop

More Boop

CMBruce by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #325 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 21:22:55 »
Wow, that's an awesome haul. That Orange CC is incredible!  :eek:
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #326 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 21:32:15 »
Photo dump post:
(sorry for ****ty focus, exposure, and white balance...  :-[  photos were taken semi-hastily...)

Awesome beer haul after getting some buying advice for local brews from DanielUCF.  :)
Show Image

FL BEER by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

This is what happens when you walk into a massive coffee shop and say "I'll take one of each".  (Note: Not literally one of each - more like one of 1/10 of each)
Show Image

Coffee + Tea by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

These are all the keycaps that I was lucky enough to help make (or at least contribute in some way - moral support FTW!).  Plus a few from Booper's pile o rejects + the CC from rainb1ood.  :O
Show Image

Booper + DOOM Caps by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Potato of Orangesicle CC from rainb1ood
Show Image

Orangesicle CC by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Da BoopCaps
Show Image

DOOM
Show Image

Show Image

More Boop
Show Image

More Boop
Show Image

These are the best pictures ever... Holy crap those caps though!! I love the colors of the boopers :) Looks like you had a successful trip back from Orlando!!!
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #327 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 22:24:52 »
And thus begins the lengthy post where I profess my undying love for everyone I met on this wonderful trip...

No, but seriously.  I'm sure I've said it before, and at this point I'm risking cliche, but it needs to be said.  I am so dang thankful to everyone involved in this trip - hell, to even be able to take such a trip at all.  What a wild ride...

Alright!  Stream-of-consciousness...begin!

Roadtrip Stats
Miles traveled: 3,738
Gallons of gas consumed: ???
Hours spent in car: ??
Duration of trip: 11 days

DAY 01 - December 29 2015
As you may have seen, the first day of the trip (leaving WI, traveling as far south as I could make it) began a little bit more eventful than I wanted... I had to make my way out of 8 inches of snow (because why would we plow), was an hour late for work, worked an hour late due to some crazy stuff going on, and was on my way at last!  Once on the freeway, ice and snow were no worry (thankfully).  I barely hit any traffic in Chicago, and there wasn't a lick of snow in all of Indiana.  Made it all the way to Bowling Green, KY where I made a nice rolling hotel room out of my car in a friendly truck stop.

DAY 02 - December 30 2015
This day was living hell.  Everything started off peaceful - driving was calm, everyone was friendly.  Ahhhh..... 
At some point as I went further and further south, the rules of the road seemed to change pretty drastically.  I had always been taught that the left lane is for passing, but this is not the case in GA and FL.  Nahhh, the left lane is for going only slightly above the speed limit, while all of the right lanes are for passing (and slow moving vehicles and trucks...).  Hmm.  Makes sense.  This actually worked out GREAT in the middle of the night when there wasn't much traffic, but during busy hours?  **** that.
Also, Atlanta during rush hour = hell no.  I saw more wrecks in that afternoon than I've seen in the last month or two.  And the delays...  :eek:
All-in-all, this was a solid 16 hour day of driving.  Left the truck stop at 7am central, arrived in Ft. Myers at midnight eastern.  :|  Got second wind, stayed up until 5am.  **** me.

DAY 03 - December 31 2015
Family day #1 (and the whole reason I'm anywhere other than WI right now).  Beach, jet skis, relaxing, etc.  Fireworks and long walks on the beach.  :)

DAY 04 - January 01 2016
Family day #2.  Brunch; some family members begin their return journeys.  I stick around and spend the day with my mom and dad.  Have them show me around Sanibel, grab some food, nice and relaxing day.  ^-^

DAY 05 - January 02 2016
Kicked off the GH leg of the road trip with rainb1ood in Ft Myers.  I really wish we had more time to chat since he is a great guy, but unfortunately one meal is all I got.  :(  rainb1ood kicked this trip off in high style by gifting me a freaking CC though!  :eek:  See Orangesicle post above.  :O  Seriously, cannot thank you enough for that, man.  One of these days I will return the favor!
After Ft Myers, I headed up to Tampa to see VesperSAINT and LXXXIX.  I've spoken to Vesper quite a bit before, but never LXX.  Always great to form some new bonds as well as strengthen existing ones (yay ****ty inspirational quote-ish).  Anyway, as is a recurring theme throughout this whole trip, we didn't really have any plans.  We met at a mall and went from there - BBQ, boba tea, etc.  You'll notice that FOOD is a common theme throughout this trip as well... hehe.
Eventually I had to bail on Tampa and head to Orlando to snuggle with heed.

DAY 06 - January 03 2016
Woke up to heedpantsnow's ADORABLE little kids.  ^-^  Seriously, they are way too freaking adorable. 
But moving on to keyboard things!  :D  heed and I went and did some quick shopping before the grill-out (picked up some "generic" (not really) sausages and a local sausage from AL, where heed is from).  CCarlitos, Vesper, smarmar, and DanielUCF ended up attending this little mini-meet.  Had such a blast hanging with all of you, and I'm so happy you were all able to make it out.  The night ended with some dimmed lights, red wine, and slow jazz...

DAY 07 - January 04 2016
Monday began at Vespr (coffee joint), as thankfully heed was able to get some time away from work to entertain us goons.  And HOLY HELL, that espresso/gelato concoction has got to be my absolutely favorite coffee anything ever.  I mean, damn.  :eek:
After coffee, we decided to head to Dandelion Cafe, a super "hipster" place that made a killer grilled cheese sandwich.  Of course I got the only non-vegan thing on the menu, but damnit I need my cheese.  xD
We then came shockingly close to hacking heed's wallet on some vinyl, but he held out long enough to spare himself.  I showed some great restraint myself, only purchasing two records instead of the four I initially wanted.  ;D  :))
heed had to head out to take care of some business, so Carlitos and I decided to get some climbing in real quick.  Turns out we are both VERY out of shape (I can only speak for myself, of course!) 
Carlitos had to take care of some family stuff, so I ended up meeting up with Daniel again in the evening for some dinner.  We went to a place called The Black Hammock, and I tried an assortment of friend gator as well as frog legs.  :cool:  It was interesting, to say the least.  Actually rather tasty, but more of a novelty IMO.  :P  He also showed off some of his wife's artwork (and gifted some along, which was really nice :) ), and passed along some home brews and a local beer as a gift as well (not to mention all the recommendations listed above).

DAY 08 - January 05 2016
Left Orlando at 6am eastern, hoping to get to Atlanta around 1pm.  Thanks to Orlando rush hour traffic, I made it to Atlanta around 2pm.  fohat.digs and R1N3 were gracious enough to be super flexible and meet me for a 2pm lunch, so thank you guys for that!  And wow, what a lunch!  First off, the BBQ was amazing.  Man.  I had so many delicious meats during this trip, it's incredible.  But there's something about that pork BBQ that just really set me off.  But I digress. 
fohat and R1N3 are both really cool people too, so the company was just as good as the food.  ;)  Seriously, I really enjoyed chatting with you two, and wish I could have spent more time in Atlanta with you guys.
I left for East TN (thank you for the correction, fohat ;) ) about 430pm, and finally arrived at Booper/scubaste's house around dinner time.  They had literally just moved in, so I must once again thank them for hosting despite the chaos their lives are in!  But nonetheless, we had a good time eating, drinking, casting, the whole works.  :D 

DAY 09 - January 06 2016
Got to see a bit of the city and enjoy some coffee at a local joint downtown.  :)  After that, we headed a bit into the mountains/hills to check out a nice nature reserve park thing, and hiked down by the river a bit.  10/10 would hang out again.
Shortly after lunch time, I headed west to Nashville!  I arrived a little late (sorry everyone!), but was able to meet up with tigersharkdude, Incredigasmic, and mashby.  And I've got to say, the artisan collections of tiger and Incredigasmic are pretty impressive.  Seeing tiger's iconic board in person was...wow.  Pictures really don't do it justice.  I know it's not everyone's style, but it's just so well put-together.  :thumb:  And of course mashby has his own freaking museum of 60% boards, so...  :rolleyes:
Oh.  And don't even get me started on the food.  I don't know how I managed to forget, but holy cow does mashby know his way around eateries.  :eek:  I already posted pics, so I won't again (my mouth is already watering), but wow.  And of course, I cannot thank mashby enough for letting me sleep on his couch (seriously).  He already had his mother visiting from out of town, so letting me crash as well was a godsend.  Thank you thank you thank you!  :-*

DAY 10 - January 07 2016
I left mashby's pretty early in the morning, hoping to hit Indianapolis by 1230 or so (eastern) to be able to meet up with vivalarevolucion (prdlm).  Unfortunately, the timing didn't work out ( :( ), but I'm honestly surprised that this was the first hiccup during this entire trip.  It has worked out surprisingly well up to this point (due in large part to the flexibility of those I was meeting, so thank you all again for that :) ). 
I press on to Chicago, to meet with Doom and Joey Quinn.  Doom shows me around his place (kickass apartment, btw :P ), and lets me tinker with some resins (and promptly takes over cause I lack the skillz).  Many outs are hung, and eventually JQ shows up as well.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to connect with sori on this trip, mostly poor planning on my part - I put minimal planning into the Chicago leg of this trip, since it's practically my "home" region, so the thought was that if it didn't work out I can just make a weekend trip to see those people.  So I am sorry for the lack of planning, sori, but I will get down there and see you in the near future!  :-*

DAY 11 - January 08 2016
Killer brunch, killer coffee shop haul, and killer hanging with Doom + GF.  Seriously, had a blast with all the Chicago crew, and I'm really happy I didn't "pass" on that stop and just head the rest of the way home.  I will definitely need to get down there again sometime soon.

Okay, I really hope this makes even a little sense.  I'm not proof-reading it, it's just too long.

But know that ALL OF YOU are more than welcome to come visit me in WI and surf my couch, as you have allowed me to surf yours.  <3

Thank you all for everything over the past weeks - the memories, the friendships, all of it.  It means so much to me, and I am so happy I decided to do this.  :)

<3 :-*

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #328 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 22:33:47 »
More Boop
Show Image

Hubbah hubbah  :eek:

EDIT: Also, seems like the dopest of trips Hoff.... which makes me think that the information we are receiving could be, oh I don't know, heavily moderated?! Don't believe his lies people!  :p
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 January 2016, 22:36:11 by nathanrosspowell »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #329 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 22:38:01 »
EDIT: Also, seems like the dopest of trips Hoff.... which makes me think that the information we are receiving could be, oh I don't know, heavily moderated?! Don't believe his lies people!  :p

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Offline smarmar

« Reply #330 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:01:16 »
Frog legs time!

This is untrue.  The scientific reason this happens for smarmar is because the legs can't stand to be around such awesomeness without some sort of dancing.

:)) I didn't want to say that outright and sound like a braggart.
Hey, yer kinda awesome too  ;)
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #331 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:11:20 »
Quote from: HoffmanMyster
Seeing tiger's iconic board in person was...wow.  Pictures really don't do it justice.  I know it's not everyone's style, but it's just so well put-together.  :thumb:

Oh stop it you.

And of course mashby has his own freaking museum of 60% boards, so...  :rolleyes:

Mashby - "here's my viper ... here's a 60% .. here's a duck poker ... here's a ...."

Brad - "Mashby's like "Im literally better than all of you" ...... LOL"

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #332 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:30:30 »
Hey look! I found a picture of Hoffman and Scubaste!

omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #333 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:40:51 »
This day was living hell.  Everything started off peaceful - driving was calm, everyone was friendly.  Ahhhh..... 
At some point as I went further and further south, the rules of the road seemed to change pretty drastically.  I had always been taught that the left lane is for passing, but this is not the case in GA and FL.  Nahhh, the left lane is for going only slightly above the speed limit, while all of the right lanes are for passing (and slow moving vehicles and trucks...).  Hmm.  Makes sense.  This actually worked out GREAT in the middle of the night when there wasn't much traffic, but during busy hours?  **** that.
Also, Atlanta during rush hour = hell no.  I saw more wrecks in that afternoon than I've seen in the last month or two.  And the delays...  :eek:
All-in-all, this was a solid 16 hour day of driving.  Left the truck stop at 7am central, arrived in Ft. Myers at midnight eastern.  :|  Got second wind, stayed up until 5am.  **** me.

Welcome to the east coast, where driving laws are made up and the lines don't matter!

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:50:01 »

Welcome to the east coast, where driving laws are made up and the lines don't matter!

Lol.  I straight up don't even bother driving between 5-7 on Mon-Thurs, and 3-7 on Friday.  Even a light drizzle seems to increase the rate of accidents by at least 50%.  One week I worked from home and heard 12 accidents just at the intersection right outside my apartment.  :eek:

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #335 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:52:43 »

Lol.  I straight up don't even bother driving between 5-7 on Mon-Thurs, and 3-7 on Friday.  Even a light drizzle seems to increase the rate of accidents by at least 50%.  One week I worked from home and heard 12 accidents just at the intersection right outside my apartment.  :eek:

Yeah I can't blame you. My job's sister company is located in ATL, and I've had to travel there for work. It's a mass exodus at 3:30PM to beat the traffic, every day.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: Hoffman Drives to Florida; or, Let's Meetup From WI to FL!
« Reply #336 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 14:17:19 »
Hoffmannnnn

Stop by my dystopia of Columbia, SC and you can crash at my place, and I'll feed you the best chicken and waffles you might ever have, go record shopping...yadda yadda. Could take a day or two off for ya buddy (or more, as much as you need :) )

And the best part...the time/distance matches up with your schedule  :thumb:

Show Image

so late to the punch on this. >_>

if you go that way i'm in Sumter SC 45mins away. make it happen

Sumter?? Well dang. We definitely have to meet up at some point and talk keyboards then!

Sorry Hoff. Continue with more chicken and waffles pictures plz :3

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #337 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 14:18:51 »
And of course mashby has his own freaking museum of 60% boards, so...  :rolleyes:

Mashby - "here's my viper ... here's a 60% .. here's a duck poker ... here's a ...."

Brad - "Mashby's like "Im literally better than all of you" ...... LOL"

« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2016, 16:08:32 by mashby »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #338 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 14:46:40 »
Had a great time hanging with tigersharkdude, incredigasmic, and mashby today. Thank you guys all so much for making this stop happen and not crumble into a disorganized mess. Much appreciated.  :)

We are now enjoying this INSANE meal. Holy hell this is so good.

All I want to know is where you guys ate in Nashville?? That food looks amazing.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #339 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 14:48:04 »
Had a great time hanging with tigersharkdude, incredigasmic, and mashby today. Thank you guys all so much for making this stop happen and not crumble into a disorganized mess. Much appreciated.  :)

We are now enjoying this INSANE meal. Holy hell this is so good.

All I want to know is where you guys ate in Nashville?? That food looks amazing.

A place called The Family Wash^-^

Offline smarmar

« Reply #340 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 21:04:36 »

Yo, that's how we do it in the South! Road rules is for chumps and yankees!
Seriously though, the driving mentality down here is forked up. Sadly, I never learned the actual passing and lane rules for the highway until I started hanging around northerners and driving on road trips. It infuriates me how people drive in FL and drivers get confused when I flash my lights and use my blinker when I'm trying to pass someone in the "passing" lane--I mean "cruising" lane.  :rolleyes: Clueless--as I once was.   :-[

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #341 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 21:06:55 »

Seriously though, the driving mentality down here is forked up. Sadly, I never learned the actual passing and lane rules for the highway until I started hanging around northerners and driving on road trips. It infuriates me how people drive in FL and drivers get confused when I flash my lights and use my blinker when I'm trying to pass someone in the "passing" lane--I mean "cruising" lane.  :rolleyes: Clueless--as I once was.   :-[

At least you weren't driving in Miami. The old people can't walk, and certainly shouldn't be driving. Nobody who took the driver's test actually speaks English (and therefore can't read the manual). And even if you know exactly what you're doing everyone else drives so recklessly that it sort of rubs off on you.

Offline jd29

« Reply #342 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 21:59:39 »
Nice shirt, Hoff :D. I'm trying to get an internship somewhere south of there this summer, reckon I could come by and see how you do?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #343 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 22:59:50 »
Nice shirt, Hoff :D. I'm trying to get an internship somewhere south of there this summer, reckon I could come by and see how you do?

Yay ChemE!!  :D  I'm assuming that by "south of there" you mean Chicago/IL area?  O.o  Regardless, if you're within a few hours I am always down to meet up with people.  :thumb:

Offline jd29

« Reply #344 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 23:22:52 »
I don't know exactly, I just want to live somewhere rural-ish and I hear there are a lot of non-metropolitan jobs in that cluster of states. Maybe Indiana or even Kentucky, maybe Wisconsin. I'll be using the opportunity to drive all around and get a feel for places, so I'm sure I'll be pretty close at some point.

But I might only be able to find an internship in Houston or something, who knows.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 January 2016, 23:24:29 by jd29 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #345 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 23:42:46 »
I don't know exactly, I just want to live somewhere rural-ish and I hear there are a lot of non-metropolitan jobs in that cluster of states. Maybe Indiana or even Kentucky, maybe Wisconsin. I'll be using the opportunity to drive all around and get a feel for places, so I'm sure I'll be pretty close at some point.

But I might only be able to find an internship in Houston or something, who knows.

Ahhh, cool cool!  Yeah this whole area is great for semi-rural, semi-non-rural.  :thumb:  Not sure where you're from or what you're used to, but if you have any questions about the area feel free to PM me.  Heck, feel free to PM me for anything you might need. 

And WI is awesome, just sayin'.  ;)

For an internship though, you really can't go wrong with anywhere, since it's so low-pressure.  You will likely have a good chance at a job after graduation, but the experience will also land you other opportunities too, as I'm sure you've been told.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #346 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 10:03:09 »

At least you weren't driving in Miami. The old people can't walk, and certainly shouldn't be driving. Nobody who took the driver's test actually speaks English (and therefore can't read the manual). And even if you know exactly what you're doing everyone else drives so recklessly that it sort of rubs off on you.

Oh, I've driven in Miami; I feel your pain. And yes, the driving habits of others do rub off on you. When I find myself getting frustrated in traffic I have to breathe deeply and let go of my former road training and just go with the flow.
One of us. One of us. We accept him...  :p