Author Topic: [Article] Keyboard Bacterial Culture  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Coreda

[Article] Keyboard Bacterial Culture
« on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 11:17:50 »
Found this article on Hacker News. Makes me think of that thread I saw in the Spy about how clean people prefer their keys.

Keyboards are gross. How can they not be? Most of us spend hours every day on them, transferring all sorts of good stuff back and forth from our hands to the keys. So, while looking closely at my keyboard recently, I got to wondering just what types of bacteria and other microorganisms were growing on it. Thus began an experiment to find out.

Computer, Meat Science

I use a (decidedly not magic) Apple wireless keyboard at home, which, lacking a keypad and control keys, has around eighty keys. I've used the same keyboard for the past five years and clean it throughly perhaps once or twice a year. But it hadn't been cleaned in at least six months, providing good starting conditions for my little experiment.

Slightly disturbing and interesting at the same time.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: [Article] Keyboard Bacterial Culture
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 11:22:01 »
My HHKB is very clean... except I think it might be pregnant.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Altis

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 11:41:51 »
I'm way more concerned about things like door handles, especially in washrooms.

Nobody else uses my keyboards and I wash my hands frequently.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 11:53:44 »
Where I work, there's much worse on surfaces than germs :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 12:02:43 »
My HHKB is very clean... except I think it might be pregnant.

How could a keyboard get preg—

Oh. I see.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 17:48:31 »
I buy the Kirkland sanitary wipes from Costco and keep a pack by my desk. About twice a month, I'll wipe down my keyboards and mice. Also do my phone while I'm at it. From what I've read, your phone is one of the dirtiest items you possess and also happens to be something you touch to your face.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 18:06:35 »
Always put toilet paper down on your keys before you go typing.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline raymogi

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 18:29:28 »
I'm OCD enough with my keyboard so I have to wash my hands everytime before I start typing on them.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 21:41:01 »
Always put toilet paper down on your keys before you go typing.

Better safe than sorry.

I'm OCD enough with my keyboard so I have to wash my hands everytime before I start typing on them.

Literally each time or just when you get home/after eating food?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 21:48:01 »
Literally each time or just when you get home/after eating food?

For sure after eating food and peeing :D
Please feed my addiction.

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 21:52:25 »
I got a little box of alcohol wipes I use to clean the surface of my keycaps every two weeks or so.

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 06:33:11 »
I got a little box of alcohol wipes I use to clean the surface of my keycaps every two weeks or so.

I buy the Kirkland sanitary wipes from Costco and keep a pack by my desk. About twice a month, I'll wipe down my keyboards and mice. Also do my phone while I'm at it. From what I've read, your phone is one of the dirtiest items you possess and also happens to be something you touch to your face.

Ye wipe users, have you noticed if using the cleaning wipes affects the properties of your keycaps over time? Just curious. I’m with raymogi in the sense that I frequently wash my hands to keep my boards clean. Still, it seems that especially with ABS keycaps, shine is only a matter of time — no matter how clean your hands are.

Maybe it’s time to try the toilet paper trick…  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 December 2015, 15:12:47 by Matsilainen »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 10:56:46 »
Tbh, none of this is particularly terrible if you're the only one using your keyboard. Don't forget; they're YOUR bacteria after all.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 06:13:20 »
Geez—if you're really concerned about it, put a little alcohol on a tissue and wipe it over your keys every few days... It takes about 15 seconds.

Keep in mind that if you get paranoid about germs and try to sterilize your whole life, when you finally are exposed to pathogens (and it's inevitable), your immune system will be considerably weaker ("use it or lose it") and you'll be that much more vulnerable to illness.

Chronic worry also takes a physical toll. I have a friend who not only agonizes over germs, but thinks that everyone from his cable provider to the parking-meter police are personally out to get him. (I am rather amazed he doesn't mind being my friend anyway.) Though only in his 50s, he's already had open-heart surgery, his digestion is shot, and he must walk with a cane because stress chemicals have attacked his joints.

It's sad, really, but some people actually fulfill their own fears of destruction. Believe me, you can easily end up worse off than had you not worried at all.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 16:26:19 »
Keep in mind that if you get paranoid about germs and try to sterilize your whole life, when you finally are exposed to pathogens (and it's inevitable), your immune system will be considerably weaker ("use it or lose it") and you'll be that much more vulnerable to illness.

Ander, I totally hear you in the sense that trying to be too clean — sterile, even — can cause health issues in the long run.

My issue with the keyboard is that if I pay good money to have this nice tool, and perhaps even adorn it with some special caps, I don’t ever want it to look like my colleague’s keyboard, which looks like it might have been used in some bizarre food prep situation in an industrial kitchen…

Guitarist Tom Morello once said that he washes his hands every time before he picks up his guitar. It is a sort of ritual, shows respect for the instrument, and probably helps him enter the right “mode” before he begins practicing or playing.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2015, 16:31:47 by Matsilainen »

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 17:31:42 »

Guitarist Tom Morello once said that he washes his hands every time before he picks up his guitar. It is a sort of ritual, shows respect for the instrument, and probably helps him enter the right “mode” before he begins practicing or playing.

I dont profess to being much of a guitar player, but I do find the guitar a lot easier to play when my hands are clean.  Especially when it comes to the pick (oily hands make it slip out).  Keeping the instrument clean is also a plus. 

I find typing on a keyboard when my hands are free of dirt and oils to be easier, but im not particular about it or anything. 

Considering the many other germ magnets that surround us, I would say that the keyboard is rather inconsequential.  Additionally, for that bacterial culture to have any validity, I would want to see a control and a comparative plate at the very least.  I still dont think it is a public health concern in any way.  The door handle to my bedroom is probably just as dirty, and most people dont think anything of that.  Thinking like this just breeds germophobia.  If you were to plate basically anything other than a sterilized surface, you will get random colonies of the same sort as pictured above. 

I only clean my keyboards so that they dont collect grime or excess dirt between the keys. 

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 08:10:03 »
Ander, I totally hear you in the sense that trying to be too clean — sterile, even — can cause health issues in the long run... My issue with the keyboard is that if I pay good money to have this nice tool, and perhaps even adorn it with some special caps, I don’t ever want it to look like my colleague’s keyboard, which looks like it might have been used in some bizarre food prep situation in an industrial kitchen…

Absolutely! But I don't think there's much chance of anything like that happening to you. From your comments, it's obvious you have much more awareness of normal hygiene.

And don't get the wrong idea—I'm totally into reasonable, realistic cleanliness. I'm probably somewhat picker than most people. I usually wash my hands before going from one type of activity to another. Besides wanting to keep my things clean, and to avoid the possibility of spreading disease, it just feels better and more civilized to me. When I see those signs in restaurant bathrooms that say:

ALL EMPLOYEES MUST WASH HANDS BEFORE RETURNING TO WORK

...I always want to take a pen and add:

THE REST OF YOU CAN BE SLOBS

If a sensationalistic article like this one inspires people to wash their hands before they start typing, that's great. That's just common decency. But you can take anything too far. Germ paranoia is something that drives many people into lives of misery, and these types of attention-seeking articles make people like that even more anxious and desperate.

Sure. And looking at it in a more basic way, IMHO, only a pig would pick up a musical instrument with unwashed hands.

My Steinway piano has ivory keys with a natural grain. If I played it with unwashed hands, it'd get grimy very quickly. It wouldn't be as obvious on my banjo, guitar or accordion—but when you play music, presumably you're doing something very personal and individual, something you've spent a lot of time and trouble learning to do. I'd no sooner play music with unwashed hands than I'd make love to my wife that way. (I'm not trying to tittillate anyone, BTW; musicians often make that comparison.)

When you sit down at a keyboard to write, you're expressing yourself as though you were playing music. (Just look at all the interesting, complex conversations that go on here—and all we're talking about is flippin' keyboards. It's like buying a parrot and teaching it to say, "I'm a parrot! I'm a parrot!") So why on earth would anyone sit down to type, and express themselves to the world, with unwashed hands? I never did get that.

We're here because we consider keyboards not just tools, but things of beauty. Even a KB with blank keys is a work of art in our eyes. It's almost a shame we have to put our mitts on them to use them.

Think of the mixed emotions you have when you sit down at a new, fresh-out-of-the-box keyboard. You know it'll never look or feel quite as nice as it does in that moment. If that's how we feel about keyboards, the least we can do is wash the grime of the world off of our hands before we start fondling them.

But worry that our keyboards will turn into festering farms of deadly disease if we don't maintain operating-room standards of cleanliness? No thanks, doctor.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 15:56:12 »
If a sensationalistic article like this one inspires people to wash their hands before they start typing, that's great. That's just common decency. But you can take anything too far. Germ paranoia is something that drives many people into lives of misery, and these types of attention-seeking articles make people like that even more anxious and desperate. …
Think of the mixed emotions you have when you sit down at a new, fresh-out-of-the-box keyboard. You know it'll never look or feel quite as nice as it does in that moment. If that's how we feel about keyboards, the least we can do is wash the grime of the world off of our hands before we start fondling them.

Eternalmetal and ander, I enjoyed reading your insights. Ander, what you said about new keyboards brought to mind another comparison with guitars — or any new instrument or even a new car, for that matter. Sometimes it is a little easier to breathe after that first little dent or imperfection comes along, because then you are no longer waiting for it to happen.

Also, I suppose it is important to define your purpose for an object. If a keyboard is just a tool for you, and you don’t care about aesthetics, then it doesn’t really matter if your keycaps are shiny or perhaps even grimy, as long as you are happy with the keyboard and it is fulfilling its intended purpose.

Offline Matsilainen

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 05:58:04 »
For what it's worth, looks like Lifehacker posted an article that fits this thread like the proverbial glove.

http://lifehacker.com/this-graphic-shows-how-nasty-your-keyboard-can-get-and-1748410593

When it comes to cleaning tips, there are probably better ones right here on Geekhack.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 06:16:34 »
I keep all of my peripherals and my phone very clean, using a diluted rubbing alcohol mix ( like 20% rubbing alcohol 80% water) or a vinegar water mix. Finger oils are a big pet peeve of mine with my OCD, not so much the germs aspect of it.  So i wash my hands more than i should, to the point of needing to use hand lotion a couple times a day, so i'm not to worried about germs on my keyboard.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 05:26:17 »
This thread couldn't come a more appropriate time.  It's amazing how evolved the western (civilized) world has come.  We've become so evolved that we cannot even handle pathogens in our water.  Doesn't sound like something important until you are in a country that has pathogens in the water.  And when you look at how many countries in the world are like this, it's a lot more people out there with this immunity than you think.

Case in point is my wife.  She's from Bangalore, India where I am right now.  She can drink the water here, eat the food here, breathe the air here with no avail.  Me?  If I drink the water or even get a drop in my system, I have to go the pharmacy, or worse yet, the hospital.  The same pathogens are in the food when prepared unhygenically (that almost 100% of the time), so that's a no-no for me as well.  And the air pollution index would make LA smog look like a clear blue day, so my mucus membranes go into overdrive.

Here in India, I'm considered a germaphobe for washing my hands regularly, using hand sanitizer and not touching any food that even has a chance of contamination.  It's all a matter of perspective and what your system can handle.  In the US, I can probably eat off the pavement and be fine.  I know I use the 2/3/5 second rule almost every chance I get, even at a restaurant without getting an upset tummy.