Author Topic: One Punch Man discussion  (Read 17540 times)

Offline KoalaKaiser

• I make onions cry.
Re: One Punch Man discussion
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 13:42:20 »
I am on episode 7..

Sorry I doubted you guys.. This is indeed wonderfully refreshing..

Please hit me with more reccomendations..
Show Image

Requiem for the Phantom, No Game No Life, and Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They? (yes that's the whole title) If you or anyone want any more let me know! I have way to many under the belt.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 20:22:49 »
Can someone give me a very brief description of OPM.  I don't know anything about it and i'd love to hear your elevator pitch.

Of course I can read a wiki or whatever, but Id like to hear the opinions of those who clearly adore the show. (given the dedicated thread)

I'm horrible about watching anime. Ill binge on shows for months and stop for months.  I feel like starting up again  ;D

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 20:36:57 »

Can someone give me a very brief description of OPM.  I don't know anything about it and i'd love to hear your elevator pitch.

Of course I can read a wiki or whatever, but Id like to hear the opinions of those who clearly adore the show. (given the dedicated thread)

I'm horrible about watching anime. Ill binge on shows for months and stop for months.  I feel like starting up again  ;D

One punch man is like the second coming of Christ. Fun on the bun.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 20:41:28 »
Perfect!

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 20:50:04 »
I think Brad Pitt's accent was terrible.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 21:11:20 »
What am I watching  :blank:

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 21:17:18 »
What am I watching  :blank:

Which ep are you on?

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 21:18:32 »
I just started it since halverson's reply

I just watched him rip the crap persons insides out through his eye :cool:

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 07:29:48 »
Showing my support for OPM in my small way, I've asked the bookshop to inform me when they have replenished Vol 2 since it's out of stock at the moment.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 07:54:42 »

He punches things
Really hard
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 08:54:08 »
Ive watched the first three episodes now.

This is freaking great.

I love how they bring in the random little bits of real life. 
like the birds pooping on the power lines, or him carrying groceries, yelling at the enemy for telling an over dramatic drawn out story.

Offline JonnyPolygon

• Mechanical keyboard masterrace
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 09:08:01 »
Seems like everyone is talking about One Punch man, guess I better check it out after work today. Wish me luck!

Ducky Shine | i7 GTX 980ti | Top 9 best mechanical keyboards

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 18:55:59 »
o ma god

I love this show

Offline raymogi

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 19:02:27 »
I finally started watching this last week during my lunchtime break and I LOVE it. I'm just saving it so I don't finish it in one day.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 21:00:15 »
I finally started watching this last week during my lunchtime break and I LOVE it. I'm just saving it so I don't finish it in one day.

It's ok to finish quickly.  It is just as good the second time and you pick up even more subtle stuff.   :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 21:52:29 »
Seems like everyone is talking about One Punch man, guess I better check it out after work today. Wish me luck!
You might just get hooked on OPM, I sure as hell did! :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 22:00:41 »
I just realized,  I could never become One Punch Man,  because I can't stand to not use air conditioning..

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 01:57:18 »
if you're into AMV"s here's a good OPM one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 02:54:27 »
You know, a buddy just said ,  hay Tp,  that der' anime,  the physics is wrong.. He can't possible do those things, because there's no way there's enough grip between his feet and the ground..

This is certainly a conundrum at the lower end of his power punching.. 

It would be possible to do his super moves, because we could argue that Generating so much power in a concentrated area created the possibility of his own 'intense' gravity, thus increasing his leverage..

BUT,  if he's doing some of the Regular punches..   there wouldn't be enough Energy generated in the concentrated area..

UNLESSS of course we're to assume, that His Energy engine Increases his mass upon activation, regardless of how much final out put he delivers.

So his punching is a 2 part process..    1 part delivers the enhanced density in energy to keep him on the ground,   the second part is the translation of some part of that energy into kinetic motion.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 07:06:22 »
You know, a buddy just said ,  hay Tp,  that der' anime,  the physics is wrong.. He can't possible do those things, because there's no way there's enough grip between his feet and the ground..

This is certainly a conundrum at the lower end of his power punching.. 

It would be possible to do his super moves, because we could argue that Generating so much power in a concentrated area created the possibility of his own 'intense' gravity, thus increasing his leverage..

BUT,  if he's doing some of the Regular punches..   there wouldn't be enough Energy generated in the concentrated area..

UNLESSS of course we're to assume, that His Energy engine Increases his mass upon activation, regardless of how much final out put he delivers.

So his punching is a 2 part process..    1 part delivers the enhanced density in energy to keep him on the ground,   the second part is the translation of some part of that energy into kinetic motion.

The comet was supposed to destroy only one city....

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 07:10:32 »
I don’t think your buddy understands the physics of a satirical comic book parody universe.

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 21:26:41 »
While the anime itself is pretty good, I find the OP to be pretty awesome as well. It hypes me up for sure.
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 21:46:04 »
Im on the final episode... I ll finish tonight, and start reading next :)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 03:59:36 »
Showing my continuing support for OPM, here's hoping Murata kicks into high gear with the Manga chapter releases and we get a Season 2 of the anime before year's end.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 00:02:25 »
Showing my continuing support for OPM, here's hoping Murata kicks into high gear with the Manga chapter releases and we get a Season 2 of the anime before year's end.
Show Image

Does the manga extend past Season 1 of the television show?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 00:26:52 »

Show Image

Yup!

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 00:32:51 »

Show Image

Yup!

Looks like I'm going to Chinatown tomorrow

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 00:39:58 »

Show Image

Yup!

Looks like I'm going to Chinatown tomorrow

Not sure how many chapters, the new arc is promising though!

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 00:43:29 »

Not sure how many chapters, the new arc is promising though!

Based on the popularity I'm sure it's going to be going for a while. If not at least one or two more seasons of the Animated series. I'll take that risk for such a good story.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 01:47:13 »
Murata's manga of OPM is way ahead of the anime, somewhere into the Garou arc I think, but One's webcomic (on which Murata's is based) is even further ahead. The end of Volume 4 of the OPM Shounen Jump manga I'd gotten is just where the Deep Sea King arc, with a little extra side story on Puri Puri Prisoner actually in prison with Sonic.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 03:48:35 »
Murata's manga of OPM is way ahead of the anime, somewhere into the Garou arc I think, but One's webcomic (on which Murata's is based) is even further ahead. The end of Volume 4 of the OPM Shounen Jump manga I'd gotten is just where the Deep Sea King arc, with a little extra side story on Puri Puri Prisoner actually in prison with Sonic.

I wanna party with Puri Puri Prisoner,

can someone link me where to find the manga or whatever the picture book is called. I have never mangaed so to speak and think the OPM would be a good way to give it a go.

soz for not being weabu enough to use correct terminology

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 04:31:29 »
Did you want the web comic or physical manga?

Web comic illustrated  by Murata(visual style of anime) here or original creator ONE here

I imagine there are a few places to get the manga books.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 04:39:22 »
Did you want the web comic or physical manga?

Web comic illustrated  by Murata(visual style of anime) here or original creator ONE here

I imagine there are a few places to get the manga books.

Sweet as cheers buddy, I will check out the web comic and then go from there

Offline STARLORDCOFFEE

• @watch_spike
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 01:24:13 »
Show Image

Genos will also be getting made too :)

My friend Amy has this on order and is planning to get two copies of her toaster prince  :)) Honestly thinking of making Egg Sensei my first Nendoriod

Model M              BL82          JD45          HHKB        RF

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 23:06:46 »
I had seen this thread moving around a bit a few weeks ago. Finally started the series a couple of days ago and just finished it. Season 2 needs to get there already.  :(

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 23:19:41 »
I had seen this thread moving around a bit a few weeks ago. Finally started the series a couple of days ago and just finished it. Season 2 needs to get there already.  :(
It's THAT good, right? ;) Meanwhile, you can still get your OPM fit via the 2 OVA's and that one Special that have been released. The 3rd OVA, focusing on Bang, will be out on the last week of March I believe. You can also catch up on Murata;s manga and One's webcomic, if you haven't already.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 23:25:04 »
It's THAT good, right? ;) Meanwhile, you can still get your OPM fit via the 2 OVA's and that one Special that have been released. The 3rd OVA, focusing on Bang, will be out on the last week of March I believe. You can also catch up on Murata;s manga and One's webcomic, if you haven't already.

what what WHAAAAAT??? 2 OAV's and a Special... Where would someone obtain these???

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 23:29:28 »

what what WHAAAAAT??? 2 OAV's and a Special... Where would someone obtain these???

This guy is asking the important questions.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 00:12:43 »

This guy is asking the important questions.
You can check out the links here, under Episode Discussion: I consider Road to Hero to be a Special because it's the same length as a regular episode of OPM, >20 mins, but the OVA's may be a smidgen >10 mins, but fun to watch nonetheless....
https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePunchMan/wiki/index#wiki_episode_discussions

Offline hullo8d

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 00:25:10 »
i feel like i'm alone in the opinion that murata ruined one punch man with his redraws. i like his art, but i just don't like how much it shifts the focus or the tone that one has in his original web comics. it's kind of lame that it was the outline that the anime is based on, so i just kind of felt annoyed watching the one punch man anime with most things except for the sea king saga. the thing that really helped that bit is the fact that one punch man wasn't in most of it.

the ova's are amazing though. it's mostly speculation on my end, but i feel like those episodes are the ones that one has complete control over. you don't have old japanese businessmen trying to push products down peoples throats.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 00:33:17 by hullo8d »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 01:50:02 »
i feel like i'm alone in the opinion that murata ruined one punch man with his redraws.
Yup. You’re alone.

The ****ty-art webcomic already exists. What would be the point of redrawing it if the redraw looked the same?

I don’t think the ****ty-art webcomic’s style would work very effectively as animation.

Offline hullo8d

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 02:12:25 »
Yup. You’re alone.

The ****ty-art webcomic already exists. What would be the point of redrawing it if the redraw looked the same?

I don’t think the ****ty-art webcomic’s style would work very effectively as animation.

i'm not saying that having a well drawn one-punch man is a bad thing. what i'm saying is that having an artist like murata take your work and shift emphasis through his stylized drawings is a bad thing.

your essentially giving your work to another director with a certain vision. my main gripe with murata is that he puts way to much focus on one punch man. one punch man himself is a punch line for a elaborate joke that one is setting up, and to have him treated like a serious thing really really affects the way the story comes off. the things that are appealing about one punch man is not the character itself, but how the world around him is effected (and of course how he came to be [origins, influences, etc.]) by him being in it.

it's selfish of me to say i hate the one punch man redraws because of murata, because the redraws are in no way bad. they're just no longer special.

also, bite your damn tongue whenever you berate one's art. he knows where his bread is buttered and the fact that he's able to pump out these great stories without worrying about how good his art will look just makes his art even more charming than muratas.  :mad:
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 02:15:07 by hullo8d »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 02:13:26 »
and another thing..  In order to have so much forward force..  there has to be something to push against..

So every super move, should do equivalent super damage from both front and back of OPM...

Physics disappoint..

Offline hullo8d

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 02:17:32 »
and another thing..  In order to have so much forward force..  there has to be something to push against..

So every super move, should do equivalent super damage from both front and back of OPM...

Physics disappoint..
Show Image

one punch man is using the worlds momentum and the expansion of the universe as the force for his punches. everytime he give a big punch the worlds axis is shifted the the universe expands just a little bit faster.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 02:41:56 »
[...] my main gripe with murata is that he puts way to much focus on one punch man. one punch man himself is a punch line for a elaborate joke that one is setting up, and to have him treated like a serious thing really really affects the way the story comes off.

I feel like the manga redraw and the anime both do a pretty good job of keeping this joke alive. The badass-superhero art style is pitch perfect satirical parody of the superhero comic genre, and helps highlight how ridiculous the characters and world are and emphasize how seriously they take themselves, while the switch back and forth with the alternate dopey style art makes for great punchlines. The voice acting and animation timing on those jokes is also spot on.

I think the whole thing is extremely well done.

Obviously it’s not the same as the original webcomic... that wouldn’t be possible, and IMO isn’t desirable.

bite your damn tongue whenever you berate one's art.
Note, your sentence isn’t idiomatically correct English usage of the word “berate”. You want a word like “criticize”, “lambaste”, “insult”, or similar. “Berate” is something you do to a person, directly to their face: the word comes from “rate”, which long ago was a synonym for “scold”, in a similar construction to “bewilder” or “bedazzle”. You can’t berate artwork.

But anyway, I’m definitely not criticizing One’s art. I think it’s amazing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 02:55:13 by jacobolus »

Offline hullo8d

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 03:15:40 »

I feel like the manga redraw and the anime both do a pretty good job of keeping this joke alive.
well i don't. while i do agree that maybe he's able to capture this occasionally, overall i think it's done in such a sloppy way. he probably doesn't even realize the sort of magnitude his art has in affecting the tone of the story, so i'm not faulting the guy.

the switch back and forth with the alternate dopey style art makes for great punchlines
agreed

The voice acting and animation timing on those jokes is also spot on.
do you speak japanese?

I think the whole thing is extremely well done.
agreed

Note, your sentence isn’t idiomatically correct English usage of the word “berate”. You want a word like “criticize”, “lambaste”, “insult”, or similar. “Berate” is something you do to a person, directly to their face: the word comes from “rate”, which long ago was a synonym for “scold”, in a similar construction to “bewilder” or “bedazzle”. You can’t berate artwork.
did you find out about love through a definition in a dictionary?

But anyway, I’m definitely not criticizing One’s art. I think it’s amazing.
umm
The ****ty-art webcomic

side note: please don't take this as an argument. expressing tone through text is impossible without making my rebuttals artsy fartsy.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 03:30:18 »
You don’t think “****ty-art webcomic” is a reasonable summary of his art style? In my opinion the whole point of the art is to be “****ty”. That doesn’t mean it’s bad. I think it’s perfect. How would you describe the art style of the original webcomic in a few words?

(Note, you can turn off the silly geekhack language filter in your settings; I feel like the bare word itself is less offensive than a version full of ****s.)

did you find out about love through a definition in a dictionary?
It was just a friendly note. When people misuse impressive or “fancy” words, especially in the middle of an argumentative comment, it sometimes seems to others like they’re trying too hard. Most people won’t bother correcting irregular usage, they’ll just silently lower their opinion of the speaker.

I’m not trying to be a jerk by pointing out this mistake; I have no idea whether you’re a native English speaker, what your background is, etc., so that wasn’t intended as some kind of judgment.

If you don’t care about precise word usage, that’s fine by me; most people don’t.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 03:46:10 by jacobolus »

Offline hullo8d

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 04:02:08 »
You don’t think “****ty-art webcomic” is a reasonable summary of his art style? In my opinion the whole point of the art is to be “****ty”. That doesn’t mean it’s bad. I think it’s perfect.
no i guess your right. there's no sugar coating it. it's ****ty
(Note, you can turn off the silly geekhack language filter in your settings; I feel like the bare word itself is less offensive than a version full of ****s.)
i'd appreciate this forums respecting my ears, and you're right the censorship does add a bit more emphasis.
It was just a friendly note. When people misuse impressive sounding words, it often looks like they’re trying too hard. I’m not trying to be a jerk by correcting you. If you don’t care about precise word usage, that’s fine by me.
in that sense thanks, i appreciate the note, but you can understand how passive aggressive the tone of that was and how this remark up above me still kind of is. especially when it comes off as a strawman argument.

i'm the sort of guy that sees words as inert. no matter how much you juggle them around there is always room for misunderstanding. but even so, it's a tool of expression to communicate complicated thought, and if i feel that a certain word is proper enough to warrant use, i use it. in my 23 years of being conscious i've read a book or two, so i think i can stand on my own two feet without your help.

also, there is no one way of saying the correct thing. language will constantly evolve and take different shapes. if you were sent back to the 1800s to an english speaking country, your tongue would be alien to them just as much as theirs is alien to you.

so with this frame of thought, i hope you can understand how someone like me might see that the minutia of proper grammar (or grammer) as backwards thinking for the advancement of any sort of whatever.

but anyways, i'm glad you think my words sound impressive!  ;)

edit: jeez i hope i don't come off as smarmy  :-[

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 14:31:20 »
This thread shan't die!

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 18:28:51 »
On my 4th run at re-watching season one..I think there is something wrong with me. I've also expressed my dissapoint with the upper management at my work since they have not watch opm yet. ^-^