Author Topic: What happens to keyswitches when they reach/go over/ approach the 50M key press?  (Read 368845 times)

Offline knowsnokb

What happens to keyswitches when the reach/go over/ approach the 50M key press?

Do they just break?
Do the springs snap?
The plastic wear off?
The circuit breaks?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
I would say most of the time switches that are good to start with, that is no problems from the factory, outlast the keyboards they are put into.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
The contacts probably wear out.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline 3K

They explode.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline Bucake

they vaporize
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Probably almost half of the Apple Extended Keyboards (AEK "1") that I have bought have had 2-6 dead switches, but otherwise I have found dead switches to be rare.

Technically, I suspect that these would be better described as "broken" rather than "worn out" but there are many ways for a tiny assembly of half a dozen to a dozen parts to fail.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Rad

So did they have a robot push down on a key 50 million times?

Offline falkentyne

At 50,000,001, you had better stop or this happens....

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
The Heat Death of the Universe.

Offline Findecanor

For Cherry MX, I suppose that the leaf spring inside it will wear out: bend and possible break. No more circuit and no more tactility.
If it was a tactile switch, the feel should have been diminished already by that time though.

BTW, I have had the top housing break on a switch -- not much used though.

Probably almost half of the Apple Extended Keyboards (AEK "1") that I have bought have had 2-6 dead switches, but otherwise I have found dead switches to be rare.
Switches can also wear being pressed all the time... and in case of Alps: suffer greatly from dust.
🍉

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Food and medicine have expiration dates, but it's not like the milk turns sour at 12:01 a.m. That's just the latest the company is willing to sell it. I'm sure key switches last even longer than 50 million presses, but at that point any reasonable person is going to have to concede that they got their money's worth.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I can imagine the leafs getting thinner and thinner until they just wear away.  But that would take many more than 50M presses.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Basically.. the keypress becomes inconsistent, chattering, or intermittent operation as the leaf spring wears out..

Offline jamster

It would take 10.7 years of non-stop typing at 70wpm to wear out the switch under the letter E (most common letter used in English). I'm pretty sure the keyboard would have been defenestrated well before approaching that limit.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
you have to go outside and start talking to people

*shudders*
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
you have to go outside and start talking to people

*shudders*

throwing my filco out, nothing is worth this
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
It would take 10.7 years of non-stop typing at 70wpm to wear out the switch under the letter E (most common letter used in English). I'm pretty sure the keyboard would have been defenestrated well before approaching that limit.

I think I did a calculation like this a couple of years ago.  CBF searching for it though, yours will do as an approximation :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
I've never come across a broken switch due to just age, but like other people I'd have to assume the contact points would just degrade or the leaves would break in some way.

They actually do have a machine just to press the switches
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline piemancoder

They won't immediately magically stop working, the 50m measure is a very safe measure.

Was just about to link this video.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Maybe the Germans know?
Chris Schammert

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
I had a Cherry MX blue quit on me once. Well, it didn't exactly quit. It stopped generating characters, that's true. But the strangest stuff did happen whenever I pressed it—for example:
  • Our doorbell rang.
  • All the automatic garage doors on our street opened.
  • Scarlett Johanssen called and asked me out for coffee. ("Aw, come on," she said, "it's just coffee!")
  • The Florida Panthers won the Stanley Cup.
  • A dozen NIB Space Cadets appeared on eBay for $100 each OBO (+ $17.50 shipping).
  • Some of the more Asperger-y people here on GH suddenly started getting my jokes.

Okay, I realize that last one was a bit of a stretch.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
So testing for 50 million keystrokes - how long would that take?

Assuming 10 presses per second (which might be a bit high depending on how long the switch takes to return to rest), that is 5,000,000 seconds.

Which is around 57 days, 20 hours, 53 minutes, 20 seconds.

So about 2 months to test a switch?  Does that sound right?

The above video mentioned that some switches were tested to 100M presses - 4 months continual bashing?

Offline vincentk14

my friend once told me that his keyboard will reach 50M key press
he said he will press it until 50M key press and see what happening
after few days, some people in suit come to his house
and after that i never see him again
rumour said if you press the 50,000,001 times, you will get abducted and sent to area 51 for alien research

i miss my friend :-[

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
my friend once told me that his keyboard will reach 50M key press
he said he will press it until 50M key press and see what happening
after few days, some people in suit come to his house
and after that i never see him again
rumour said if you press the 50,000,001 times, you will get abducted and sent to area 51 for alien research

i miss my friend :-[

50,000,001 - 000,000 = 51

Math checks out
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Malenky

This

More

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
We should start a "50 million key press tour" in which we take one brand new switch and mail it to the list of people. Everyone who receives it has to press on it a number of times and post results haha.

When we get close to the last 100 presses, the last person needs to make a live feed so we can all watch. Once it reaches 50 million, everyone watching gets to bet on when they think the switch will break. All proceeds go to GeekHack, but the person who gets closest to the number of times before the switch fails, will have GeekHack buy them a keyboard of their choice using a portion of the proceeds. =).

Offline knowsnokb

Can't verify but I've heard they evolve to the switch of a different kind, like a Pokemon.
Depends how your pressed it over the course of its 50,000,000 presses.
Blues could turn to greens
cherrys could turn to topres
Really depends how you treated it
Still can't verify though.

Offline piemancoder

cherrys could turn to topres

Is this how a Novatouch is made?
Yoda grammar best has

Offline Capnmycraw

The nova era of evolution.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
I'd imagine BS have a rating as well, no?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Dunno about a rating - most of those keyboards are 25+ years old and still going strong!

A bit of discussion about it here.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
25 M membrane, >100 M capacitive. It's not the springs or the plastic, it's the contacts.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Nothing happens, the switch continues to work. Companies realistically test the switch actuations way past 50M, then cut their results a bit to a nice round number.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline pr0ximity

Hall Effect have alledgedly been tested up to 30 billion keypresses, though how that could have veen done is a mystery I think.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Hall Effect have alledgedly been tested up to 30 billion keypresses, though how that could have veen done is a mystery I think.
Maybe the Mormons know?  :))