Author Topic: Send me to The Wall  (Read 4971 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Send me to The Wall
« on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 04:09:30 »
Just got back into Game of Thrones..

You know..

Tp4 is totally suited for service of the Night's watch..

As long as they got internet over there..  would be perfectly content.....

#Ronery4ever  is fundamentally equivalent to the -Night's Watch Oath-

Any other geekhackers wish to join me at The Wall ?

My main contribution would be Ramen preparation and Dumpling skills..

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
Re: Send me to The Wall
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 04:20:46 »
why a thread for this? There's TONS of Roonery thread.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 05:24:46 »

Because:

136925-0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 05:27:25 »

Because:

(Attachment Link)
We got ourselves a race, bois!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 05:44:03 »
Also, what is a Roonery?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 06:52:29 »
Also, this makes no sense..

If the Night's watch have NOTHING, and take  on Nothing..

Then, why do it..

You either fight for wealth or women in this world..

What purpose do the nights watch have without either potentiality..

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 07:07:50 »

Then, why do it..

You either fight for wealth, women in this world..

Honor. Do you haz?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 07:14:12 »

Then, why do it..

You either fight for wealth, women in this world..

Honor. Do you haz?

Honor is primarily a contractual agreement between two people who intend to mutually scratch the backs of one another for --- a long time ---

But it is never taken upon without SOME profit, or synergistic plunder..

The nights watch, gets to do all that work and DIE alone..

I can't see how men such as that could constitute an effective army.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 07:16:20 »
You don't die alone. You die with your brothers.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 07:29:43 »

---Let's go to the wall together absyrd, my geekhack brother---..

You see how ridiculously unappetizing that sounds...

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 07:30:58 »

---Let's go to the wall together absyrd, my geekhack brother---..

You see how ridiculously unappetizing that sounds...

Show Image

Does the wall have like... prison rules about man-on-man action?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 07:47:52 »

You need not fear prison-rules, only that given time, you may come to like them.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 08:07:49 »

You need not fear prison-rules, only that given time, you may come to like them.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Meh I've heard worse.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 10:01:19 »
Honor is primarily a contractual agreement between two people who intend to mutually scratch the backs of one another for --- a long time ---
Bull****.
There is the honour that others can bestow upon you ... and then there is the honour that comes from within.
🍉

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 10:03:50 »
Bull****.
There is the honour that others can bestow upon you ... and then there is the honour that comes from within.

Mmm...

There's no point in arguing where the line is cut.

I'm merely pointing out for those outside the fold, that HONOR, is made FOR something.

It's not blind,  therefore it has a price,  but that is often forgotten because the contractual terms may have been made prior to the current lease..

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 12:06:22 »
Honor. Do you haz?

I think that answers your question.  If you think it's only taken for profit or synergistic plunder, then you don't know the definition of honor, at least not in this context.  While honor can be bound in others, in general, in relation to the way that it is meant, it relates to, "honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions"  It is self-defined, and self-enforced - a code.  If your honor is rooted in someone else, it is only as good as the bond.  There are some like that, but that kind of honor breaks easily.  You also have external honor, i.e. honor bestowed by others, and internal honor.  External honor can be rooted in self, but doesn't necessarily have to be.  It's how people view you.

The honor of the Black Brothers is one of Brotherhood- the honor of the circle.  Some have internal honor on top of that.  We see the degradation of external honor at Craster's.  But though Aliser Thorne was objectively wrong by the rules set forth, he didn't break his honor.  He did what he thought was right for the Night's Watch as a whole.  It involved him betraying his Lord Commander.  Which meant that he held the Watch in higher esteem than his Lord Commander.  Which is the height of honor and what whole epics have been written about.  It's called Giri in the traditions of the samurai, and is a very personal and subjective thing, and is in direct opposition to Ninjo, or emotion and feeling.

In the Ser Aliser's case, it would have been easier to follow the rules set forth.  However, his obligation to the Night's Watch made him take the more difficult, and more controversial path.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 16:53:32 »
Honor is the either the action of a person paying debt, or the characteristic of the likelihood of repayment..

The average recruit in the night's watch, well, since they're taken from the lowest of the socio-economic ladder,  perhaps steady life is PROFIT..   However, this is only sustained by the fact that these men all DIE-young, long before they've become intelligent enough to understand how poor a deal the night's watch bargain is..

So in these men, we can not truly say they're honorable.. if anything it's dishonorable to have fundamentally TRICKED them into servitude.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 16:56:04 »
Honor. Do you haz?

I think that answers your question.  If you think it's only taken for profit or synergistic plunder, then you don't know the definition of honor, at least not in this context.  While honor can be bound in others, in general, in relation to the way that it is meant, it relates to, "honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions"  It is self-defined, and self-enforced - a code.  If your honor is rooted in someone else, it is only as good as the bond.  There are some like that, but that kind of honor breaks easily.  You also have external honor, i.e. honor bestowed by others, and internal honor.  External honor can be rooted in self, but doesn't necessarily have to be.  It's how people view you.

The honor of the Black Brothers is one of Brotherhood- the honor of the circle.  Some have internal honor on top of that.  We see the degradation of external honor at Craster's.  But though Aliser Thorne was objectively wrong by the rules set forth, he didn't break his honor.  He did what he thought was right for the Night's Watch as a whole.  It involved him betraying his Lord Commander.  Which meant that he held the Watch in higher esteem than his Lord Commander.  Which is the height of honor and what whole epics have been written about.  It's called Giri in the traditions of the samurai, and is a very personal and subjective thing, and is in direct opposition to Ninjo, or emotion and feeling.

In the Ser Aliser's case, it would have been easier to follow the rules set forth.  However, his obligation to the Night's Watch made him take the more difficult, and more controversial path.

I've always been more of a Ronin myself but it appears (from the show, I've yet to read the books) that the Night's Watch is a brotherhood brought together on the premise of fear just like every other aspect of Game Of Thrones. Fear rules all. No one is falling on their own sword for screwing up, they're praying that no one noticed the screw-up. I'm drinking wine right now, 10/10 tp thread
Chris Schammert

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 17:41:10 »
Honor is the either the action of a person paying debt, or the characteristic of the likelihood of repayment..

The average recruit in the night's watch, well, since they're taken from the lowest of the socio-economic ladder,  perhaps steady life is PROFIT..   However, this is only sustained by the fact that these men all DIE-young, long before they've become intelligent enough to understand how poor a deal the night's watch bargain is..

So in these men, we can not truly say they're honorable.. if anything it's dishonorable to have fundamentally TRICKED them into servitude.
You're equating all with some.   Frex Sam,  Aliser, Aemon ,  John, Mormont - none of them fall into that category.   And just because it starts as an external debt,  doesn't mean it ends as one.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 17:55:09 »

You're equating all with some.   Frex Sam,  Aliser, Aemon ,  John, Mormont - none of them fall into that category.   And just because it starts as an external debt,  doesn't mean it ends as one.

You're looking at debt only in 1 person's timeline.

If we expand the timeline to include influence of actions upon others.. 

We could say that upholding honor is a general repayment of debt to society.. of which is Real, but not necessarily possible to tabulate..

Which is why there is always the Morality clause which people who live as part of societies uphold..

So I repeat again.. HONOR is the act of or the likely-quality of debt repayment

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 17:57:37 »
the hell, this was about tp being ronery.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:16:46 »
the hell, this was about tp being ronery.

No ?

I was trying to setup a Lan party @ the wall..

Get with the programm...

Also, demik is bringing Fajitos..

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:17:33 »
are those male fajitas?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:19:38 »
are those male fajitas?

I was told it's a combination fajita + burrito..

But I am not total sure.. because I've been lied to before..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:22:41 »
Also.. no girls allowed at the Lan party..

Must take temporary #Ronery Oath  before attending.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:24:07 »
are those male fajitas?

Yes. Baja please.

Wait, no women or specifically no girls? I'm perfectly fine with no girls (kids scare me) but no women might be taking it a bit far don't you think?
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:25:32 »
are those male fajitas?

Yes. Baja please.

Wait, no women or specifically no girls? I'm perfectly fine with no girls (kids scare me) but no women might be taking it a bit far don't you think?

You are allowed to bring a female,  only if you've captured her from the other side of the wall, and your name is Jon,  or your last name is Snow.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:26:12 »

You're looking at debt only in 1 person's timeline.

If we expand the timeline to include influence of actions upon others.. 

We could say that upholding honor is a general repayment of debt to society.. of which is Real, but not necessarily possible to tabulate..

Which is why there is always the Morality clause which people who live as part of societies uphold..

So I repeat again.. HONOR is the act of or the likely-quality debt repayment

Yeah... we'll have to agree to disagree.  And the colour nor size will change that statement.  :p

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:29:47 »
are those male fajitas?

Yes. Baja please.

You are allowed to bring a female,  only if you've captured her from the other side of the wall, and your name is Jon,  or your last name is Snow.

Um, well, at least I asked :-[
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:33:59 »
are those male fajitas?

Yes. Baja please.

Um, well, at least I asked :-[

Hahahhaa.. I'm actually just trying to dispell the disappointment of 0 female attendance.  which is 99.9999999% likely..

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:35:07 »
are those male fajitas?

Yes. Baja please.

So if Ramsay got consigned to the wall and did it, he'd be OK?  Or any northern bastards?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:38:07 »

So if Ramsay got consigned to the wall and did it, he'd be OK?  Or any northern bastards?

Ramsay could do it if we're assuming he has the support of his armies..

But if Hoff is coming,   we could just have Ramsay duel Hoff... that way averting battle with superior numbers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 00:07:22 »
If I ever get to live in a clifftop castle.

I'm totally NOT going to have one of them moon-doors..

That's so stupid...  some guy's just gonna throw you off in it..

Offline nugglets

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 00:12:14 »
If I ever get to live in a clifftop castle.

I'm totally NOT going to have one of them moon-doors..

That's so stupid...  some guy's just gonna throw you off in it..

Show Image

Which was the entire purpose for it's existence.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 05:50:35 »
I'm having trouble with this..

Does game of thrones ever END.. ??

I feel like the way the arcs are created,  it's gonna drag on forever..

Offline nugglets

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 10:25:41 »
That really depends on what you mean by "end." Will the story finish with every arc wrapped up in a bow like most popular fantasy? I doubt that very much. There will likely be many things left unfinished and never clarified.

But the show has this season and one more "split" season before it's done for good.

As for the books, supposedly there are two left. The Winds of Winter, which was supposed to be out by now, and A Dream of Spring. But it was originally going to be a trilogy, then five books, then six, now seven. Who knows where it will really end.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2016, 10:27:58 by nugglets »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 10:50:26 »
But the show has this season and one more "split" season before it's done for good.

HBO: No decision has yet been made

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/14/game-thrones-end-date

Unless you have other references from HBO?  I think a lot will be based on how soon they can get a successful tentpole.  HBO doesn't kill something without having a replacement- at least historically.

Offline scoobs0311

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 13:36:49 »
Hodor

Offline nugglets

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 13:52:43 »

Unless you have other references from HBO?  I think a lot will be based on how soon they can get a successful tentpole.  HBO doesn't kill something without having a replacement- at least historically.

D&D have eluded to this on a number of occasions, even recently. You're right that nothing is set in stone, but it's the most likely outcome.

Take anything they actually "confirm" with a grain of salt. It's all the stuff between the lines that has turned out to be the truth so far, no reason to believe that will change.

The scenario I mentioned gives them until Fall of 2018 to find something else to hype, I'm sure they can.

And honestly, if they try to drag it out much further than that the quality of the show will plummet. They already shortened it's lifetime by shoe-horning two massive books into season 5. To then drag out 2 theoretical books, to which they only have access to the skeletons, across four years would end fairly terribly.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2016, 13:57:51 by nugglets »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 21:28:28 »
How come no one wrote down how to beat those snow monsters the first time around... since they already did it before...

Seems like something important that you'd keep records of.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 22:21:38 »

D&D have eluded to this on a number of occasions, even recently. You're right that nothing is set in stone, but it's the most likely outcome.

Take anything they actually "confirm" with a grain of salt. It's all the stuff between the lines that has turned out to be the truth so far, no reason to believe that will change.

The scenario I mentioned gives them until Fall of 2018 to find something else to hype, I'm sure they can.

And honestly, if they try to drag it out much further than that the quality of the show will plummet. They already shortened it's lifetime by shoe-horning two massive books into season 5. To then drag out 2 theoretical books, to which they only have access to the skeletons, across four years would end fairly terribly.

They've been in extensive talks with GRRM, and know the whole plot to the end.  That's quite a bit more than skeletons.  But everything at this point is supposition.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 01:02:35 »
Tp. I say this as a friend. Something tells me you're not made for the cold.

Also... Binging this show is so stressful. Too many emotions being played with.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 01:04:29 »
Tp. I say this as a friend. Something tells me you're not made for the cold.

Also... Binging this show is so stressful. Too many emotions being played with.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My computer will keep me warm..

I just need to create a duct system that pipes the computer exhaust into my jacket..