Author Topic: Buying a Cable modem...considering a few. Would love input.  (Read 3890 times)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
Buying a Cable modem...considering a few. Would love input.
« on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 15:19:01 »
Have never owned a cable modem outright but with comcasts $10 a month rental it seems better to buy one outright now.

We cut all of our TV services and downgraded the internet to a level of speed we will actually use. I'd like to cut costs even further by owning a modem vs leasing. I have a decent size gift card to target (60$) so i would rather get it there considering. At moment i am looking at the following modems.
Arris: (SB6141) Motorola: MB7420 TP-Link: (TC-7620)
Any thoughts as to which among the bunch is the most reliable?
Best customer service?
For reference, our internet is now 10MBPS performance starter with Comcast.
Many thanks in advance.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Buying a Cable modem...considering a few. Would love input.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 15:34:59 »
Well, first thing is to check if you have any alternatives vs Comcast..  They throttle torrents still more so than other providers..

Cable modem wise,  there isn't a whole lot of difference, as long as what you get is compatible..

is that 10MByte/s  or 10Mbit/s

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 16:04:23 »
No one makes "good" consumer cable/dsl modems. Buy the cheapest compatible option and replace it when it burns itself out in 3 years. To get something nice, you have to go pro with edge/wan bridge equipment, but the cost becomes massive.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 16:05:27 »
Well, first thing is to check if you have any alternatives vs Comcast..  They throttle torrents still more so than other providers..

Cable modem wise,  there isn't a whole lot of difference, as long as what you get is compatible..

is that 10MByte/s  or 10Mbit/s

10Megabits i'm not even sure megabytes is possible?

And they are all compatible virtually every major modem is with comcast the list for devices they have is huge.  Sadly though as with the majority of the US they are the only provider in my area short of Slow arse DSL. 
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 16:07:10 »
No one makes "good" consumer cable/dsl modems. Buy the cheapest compatible option and replace it when it burns itself out in 3 years. To get something nice, you have to go pro with edge/wan bridge equipment, but the cost becomes massive.

As i would have figured much being the same with networking equipment.  That said among the bunch i would imagine one has to stand out as a bit better and sadly my Modem knowledge is virtually none.  I know with ones i have rented i have had some be rock solid...and other ones so unreliable with needing constant reboots i demanded a different model from my ISP.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 16:44:31 »
Comcast offers 150mbit,  which is 18.75 Megabyte/s

Tp4 can only afford the Fios cheapo 87mbit, 10.875 Megabyte/s..  But fios doesn't throttle torrents as much,  so in the long run, I'm getting more throughput vs comcast..

The problem with cable modems is the same as with more powerful routers..  They're not actively cooled..

If you're willing,  You can take it apart, cut a hole on the side of the housing, Put an 80mm or 120mm fan on it,  hook up the fan to an old cellphone DC  charger that outputs ~5-7 volts..

It doesn't matter if the fan doesn't spin at full speed, or has low rpm..  The cable modem will only need very little airflow to greatly extend its lifespan..

I have an N66u router, that thing was pushing 87 Celcius in the summer..  I run it open chassis now, with a 120mm fan blowing at it,   never exceeds 40 celcius..

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 16:56:09 »
I have an Arris SB6182 that I bought on eBay, and it does the job for me. It's rated for up to 343 Mbps download and up to 132 Mbps upload.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 17:16:39 »
Comcast offers 150mbit,  which is 18.75 Megabyte/s

Tp4 can only afford the Fios cheapo 87mbit, 10.875 Megabyte/s..  But fios doesn't throttle torrents as much,  so in the long run, I'm getting more throughput vs comcast..

The problem with cable modems is the same as with more powerful routers..  They're not actively cooled..

If you're willing,  You can take it apart, cut a hole on the side of the housing, Put an 80mm or 120mm fan on it,  hook up the fan to an old cellphone DC  charger that outputs ~5-7 volts..

It doesn't matter if the fan doesn't spin at full speed, or has low rpm..  The cable modem will only need very little airflow to greatly extend its lifespan..

I have an N66u router, that thing was pushing 87 Celcius in the summer..  I run it open chassis now, with a 120mm fan blowing at it,   never exceeds 40 celcius..

I actually use one of Tt's USB powered 120MM fans for this purpose to cool my router which is an awesome router but the cooling is ****.  Maybe i will get a second one for the modem.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 17:47:25 »
I went through this a few years ago, we had the option of leasing one or buying, I bought new. Paid for itself in less than 18 months (before our contract was even up).
It may have changed a bit since then, but the consensus was Motorola, looking around it still seems to be the case. Even techs in the industry recommend those as the ones to get.

Since getting mine, we've had 3 boosts to our speed (60>80>100>120), the cable co sends out letters each time saying new modems may be required, replaces a bunch. Mine just keeps on working. Never had an issue and I have always gotten full speed from it while neighbors are always a bit lower. Mine is an Arris Motorola SB6121, same as JDCarpe, which is a bit older but still tops best cable modem lists.

The Motorola is probably not the cheapest on your list, but long term it could pay off with higher rates, fewer problems and less need to replace it if they give you a speed bump later.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 August 2016, 18:07:53 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 20:19:29 »
As a couple othere people have said here, Motorola is the way to go. I've always used them and haven't had a problem at all.
A couple friends that used to buy the cheaper modems always have to replace them replace them before their expected EOL.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 05:23:26 »
As a couple othere people have said here, Motorola is the way to go. I've always used them and haven't had a problem at all.
A couple friends that used to buy the cheaper modems always have to replace them replace them before their expected EOL.

Far as i am aware Arris bought out Motorolas modem business so is the price difference between the Arris and Motorola model worth it for 10 Megabit per sec?
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 06:00:40 »

Far as i am aware Arris bought out Motorolas modem business so is the price difference between the Arris and Motorola model worth it for 10 Megabit per sec?

Ahh,  I believe you are correct. I think they had both names on the box at one point. Maybe?

This would be the newer version of the one that I have, so it is my recommendation.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 07:03:21 »

Ahh,  I believe you are correct. I think they had both names on the box at one point. Maybe?

This would be the newer version of the one that I have, so it is my recommendation.

That is actually one of the ones i was looking at so that's good to know.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 20:21:39 »
They're all more than good enough for 10Mbit..

Good enough sure, but good enough spec wise and reliability are two different games. 
Current Daily Driver/s