Author Topic: My girlfriend and my keyboard don't get along well together  (Read 7581 times)

Offline Dext

My girlfriend and my keyboard don't get along well together
« on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 05:10:26 »
Hi everyone,

My love for keyboards (which is of course bigger than my love for my gf) is in great danger. My girlfriend told me yesterday that my keyboard is... too noisy and that she cannot focus while i'm typing.(i'm a starcraft 2 player and studying computing so i'm typing all day long).
I have a leopold FC750R with red switches. So i'm basically looking for a way to reduce that noice. I thought about O-rings but i'm a bit scared because i don't really want the sensation to change.
One of my other solution would be to buy a new board with a quieter switch. Is the MX Silent really quieter? Or what switch could i go for? What good board is available with MX silent and in tkl?
I was thinking about the new leopold because Leopold keyboards are life but maybe you have other or better solutions?

Thanks for your help

Offline Spaceman1200

Re: My girlfriend and my keyboard don't get along well together
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 05:14:37 »
O-rings are cheap, and if you get them thin, it quiets the bottom out by a lot and doesnt effect the feeling. The bottom out will get softer because of them, But the change is hardly noticeable compared to the sound difference.

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 05:22:54 »
O-ring dampeners work fine, but you will definitely feel the difference in key travel at first. After you get used to the reduced travel you might not mind it anymore. I used common red .2 mm o-rings for a long time before deciding I really didn't like using dampeners anymore.

Offline Tangtawan

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 07:07:03 »
Cherry MX Red is already silent, the sound you hear is the bottoming out.. so yea using o-ring will definitely help, but it will decrease the travel distance and might take some time to get used to; not that big of a deal imo.
My boards : Model F AT (6450200), Industrial M (1394950), Model M SSK (1391472), Model M13 (13H6705), Model M (1390131), Focus FK-2001 (ALPS SKCM Blue), HHKB Pro 2, Realforce 87U 55g, KBP V80 Matias Click, TADA68 (Gateron Reds), Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (67g Ergo Clears), Cherry G80-11800 (Ergo Clears), KBT One 108 (MX White), Ducky One TKL RGB (MX Black), Filco Majestouch Tenkeypad (MX Brown), Leopold FC210TP (MX Red)

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 07:27:49 »
How about you invest in this:

It'll definitely be cheaper than a new keyboard and will also turn down every other noise that could disturb her  ;D

Offline Dext

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 08:12:31 »
Kawasaki, i didn't think about this solution but it's probably one of the best so far.

About the O-rings, i'm just scared that it may change the feel too much... If i was only typing I would probably go for this but i'm playing Starcraft 2 a lot and i don't want O-rings to change my APM or something. Is it
more tiring to type with O-rings?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 08:22:29 »
I have tried a lot of things and it is very hard to get true silence. Especially if you're not willing to compromise the feeling.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 10:39:10 »
Get a WASD V2 TKL with MX pink (aka Red Silent) switches.

I've read some very positive reviews of those switches here, and I can't wait to try them in a Varmilo VA108M. Nearly all my keyboards have MX reds in them and I too would love to reduce the bottoming out and upstroke noise. I believe MX pinks will be my solution.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 10:45:02 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 10:57:36 »
Leopolds have keycaps in Cherry profile. The red or black O-rings sets you could buy are better for OEM profile that have more space in-between switch top and struts inside the keycaps. With Cherry-profile keycaps, the O-rings would impede too much of the key travel.
Instead, for Cherry-profile keycaps do get Orhodontic elastic bands 3/16 Medium". These white/translucent rings are thinner than the black or red O-rings and don't impede key travel as much but are just as good at reducing noise and are just as inexpensive as O-rings.
These orthodontic bands are too thin for OEM-profile keycaps, however.

Another factor is that noise can be transmitted to and amplified by the desk the keyboard is sitting on. Once you have installed dampening bands you could try one of those super-wide mouse mats (more like desk mats) underneath the keyboard and see if the noise is reduced when using that. It does make a difference for some of my keyboards that don't have good-enough rubber feet.

I have seen Cherry MX Silent Red switches in TKL keyboards from Filco and WASD Keyboards. Filco calls them "pink" because the slider has a slightly lighter red colour than in regular Red switches.
WASD Keyboards does however have a reputation of their keyboards being a bit loud because of how their case is constructed.
Both Filco and WASD Keyboards come with thin OEM-profile keycaps with low-quality printing that (in case of Filco, anyway) rubs off too easily, so you might want to replace those with some thick keycaps. Filco keyboards also have no frills (media keys, etc.) whatsoever.

The switch was developed together with Corsair, but I can't find any TKL from them with this switch.
I have yet to test one of these switches myself, but I have been told that the switch should also be smoother than the regular Cherry MX Red.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 November 2016, 11:02:12 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline zslane

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 11:19:44 »
If the case needs some sound dampening, due to its design, well that's another matter and can be solved separately from silencing the switches. There are some very effective sound-dampening materials out there that you can buy in sheets that can be cut to size and shape. Put that between the PCB and the case bottom and you'll be absorbing all the down-firing resonant noise there is to absorb. Combine that with MX pink switches and a good set of thick PBT keycaps and you'll have the keyboard of your dreams. Your girlfriend will thank you, as will all your future girlfriends.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 12:15:26 »
//Divorce

He's always so smrt :)

Tp4 = Maximum Smart...

Did you max intellect at the start and now sort of wish you had more strength/agility/stamina?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 12:46:04 »
Well, sounds like she has to go...
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 12:48:59 »
You've already established in the OP that your love for keyboards is greater than your love for your girlfriend.
So.... If you have to have one, then the answer is clear.

Offline Dext

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 13:01:19 »
Leopolds have keycaps in Cherry profile. The red or black O-rings sets you could buy are better for OEM profile that have more space in-between switch top and struts inside the keycaps. With Cherry-profile keycaps, the O-rings would impede too much of the key travel.
Instead, for Cherry-profile keycaps do get Orhodontic elastic bands 3/16 Medium". These white/translucent rings are thinner than the black or red O-rings and don't impede key travel as much but are just as good at reducing noise and are just as inexpensive as O-rings.
These orthodontic bands are too thin for OEM-profile keycaps, however.

Orthodontic bands? The ones we put in our mouth?  :eek:
Thanks for you answer :)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 14:26:59 »
Probably worth giving Zealencio clips a try - I'm also an MX red guy (next best thing after topre imo) and ordered a bunch of sets for the wife (she uses 67g Zeals so louder than my reds) and myself off of their Massdrop that happened a couple weeks back. Far as I know they're meant to be at their best with linear/tactile switches so I'm hoping they're fun to use with reds. Don't know if they're readily available yet though, Zeal had a run for them on his website and then the drop happened but don't know how you'd go about purchasing them right now.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 14:30:48 »
If she hates the clack, you gotta go to a thock then  :thumb:

get a topre, a silenced one at that

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 14:32:18 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:35:27 by alienman82 »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 14:33:16 »
//Divorce

Tp4 = Maximum Smart...

Did you max intellect at the start and now sort of wish you had more strength/agility/stamina?

Tp does not require stamina...... lel

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 14:35:44 »
If she hates the clack, you gotta go to a thock then  :thumb:

get a topre, a silenced one at that

not linear though.

I think silencing is a waste of time, but those clips are glorified o rings.  I would get o rings since they will be available right now too.

ayy lmao

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 14:52:10 »
... those clips are glorified o rings.  I would get o rings since they will be available right now too.
Clips and "pink" switches silence also the sound on topping up after you have released the key.
🍉

Offline atarione

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 15:02:17 »
you could also practice not bottoming out... nearly impossible (in my experience with mx-reds =p ) but whatever ... I have a Filco MJ2 TKL w/ mx-reds .. I put on the little o-rings on my replacement keycaps (vortex PBT double shots) ... the dampers feel fine to me... it does change the feel a bit but ... it is fine for me.. YMMV of course..

They are cheap enough (i ordered these from amazon) 008 Buna-N O-Ring, 70A for $4.50~ or so for 100 for my TKL, perhaps worth trying to see if you can deal with the feel and if it quiets things down enough for the g/f ...

my wife and I use to have computers in the same room it is just fundamentally distracting in my experience... I'm glad to have my own home office now... I couldn't ever concentrate with my wife banding away on her keyboard either honestly.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 19:48:28 »
I don't think O-Ring will work, they don't prevent sound when you release the keys.
I haven't tried silencing clips, I ordered them though.

as for red switches, it's hard to not bottom out, it's too light (for me)
I love blue switches but it seems black switches are compatible for me.

maybe you should change to black switches and try to not bottom out.

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 22:23:28 »
I don't think O-Ring will work, they don't prevent sound when you release the keys.

True, O-rings don't prevent sound when you release the keys, but they still reduce noise significantly.  I have them on the three letter rows but not the number rows on a Cherry red board, and the rings make a big difference in noise levels. 

Because O-rings are so cheap and it's quick and easy to put them on or take them off, I'd buy a pack and try them on a few keys.  If they feel OK, keep them.  Otherwise, get rid of them.  Personally, I like the softer feel with the rings, and my wife (whom I love more than my keyboards) likes the lower noise level.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 23:53:49 »
Start with dampening the inside of the keyboard first. Line the inside of the case with sorbothane and see where that puts you. Another thing I have played around with success is putting the same ~3mm thick sorbothane them between the pcb and the plate. Cut it into thin strips and attach it to some type of string or pipe cleaner and pull it between each row. Do what you can to the case before changing the feel of the keystrokes.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 03:36:39 »
Just change race....start playing Toss with 80-100 APM and will be ok until GM :D Stop spamming MMM  ;D

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 07:58:49 »
What to do if gf is okay with cherry noise but says model m is too much?

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 08:23:58 »

Offline keykaiser

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 10:06:39 »
Buy her the Leopold.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 10:26:53 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:35:09 by alienman82 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 12:14:36 »
//Divorce

Tp4 = Maximum Smart...

Tp4 haz good dexterity from piano and good stamina from standing-desk (8 hrs /day)

But.. Yea..   ~24/99 strength ~10/99 agility

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 12:50:06 »
//Divorce

Tp4 = Maximum Smart...

Tp4 haz good dexterity from piano and good stamina from standing-desk (8 hrs /day)

But.. Yea..   ~24/99 strength ~10/99 agility

Good with ur fingers ;)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 13:05:51 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:34:58 by alienman82 »

Offline consolation

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 21:28:15 »
Try blacks with o-rings if you want to stay mechanical; you won't bottom out and the noise drops right down. Now, having said that, I was in the same situation and going topre solved the problem. The thock thock is lot quieter and being much lower pitched is not nearly as annoying.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 14:56:05 »
I have an FC660(M) and I have found this to actually be my quietest board.  The build quality and materials look very similar.  You must be clacking away at those keys pretty hard.  I rest the board on a watchmaking mat made of some kind of foam and plastic or vinyl because I like the soft surface, but this also probably helps with the reverberation across the hard surface (a very, very limited amount). 

I agree that O rings are probably the best you can do to tone down the noise.  I don't think the Cherry profile is a problem.  The keystroke distance is the same, the caps are just not as tall. 

KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Urbi

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 11:41:13 »
Get her out of your keyboard room. :P

JK but reds aren't that loud. If she is annoyed by this she will be annoyed by your mouseclicks next.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 11:58:22 »
Get her out of your keyboard room. :P

JK but reds aren't that loud. If she is annoyed by this she will be annoyed by your mouseclicks next.
I agree, I think she needs buckling spring therapy or something similar.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 12:00:28 »
The clips silence the up stroke and have minimal change in travel distance. Both things that o rings fail to do.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 19:58:36 »
You must be clacking away at those keys pretty hard.  I rest the board on a watchmaking mat made of some kind of foam and plastic or vinyl because I like the soft surface, but this also probably helps with the reverberation across the hard surface (a very, very limited amount).

You guys are ONLY tinkering around the edges of your problem here.

What your girlfriend is really saying it's time to buy a BIGGER house.  Women are like that, they will pick, pick away at the issue of noise being her main complaint but she's scared to tell the OP time to move on UP from their current place.

My Mrs operates in that sphere of wonder, where she will complain about some absurd issue which means we need a much LARGER place to live in, far away from the maddening crowds and pervy neighbours.  Since we moved here at my current place she no longer complains about noise anymore, hence Buckling Spring is no issue in the house.

Get smart, understand what they really want then supply it to them, life becomes far more manageable when you can read her the right way, otherwise pain and misery becomes your permanent bed-fellow.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:00:30 by Elrick »

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 02:08:22 »
Use a buckling spring keyboard for awhile. She'll beg you to go back to your Cherry reds.

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 10:54:49 »
Get smart, understand what they really want then supply it to them, life becomes far more manageable when you can read her the right way, otherwise pain and misery becomes your permanent bed-fellow.
Shoes??
There is a curse. They say: May you live in interesting times!, Terry Pratchett

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 22:08:58 »
//Divorce

Tp4 = Maximum Smart...

Not Maxwell Smart?

OP should get priorities right and get a new keyboard-friendly girlfriend.

Or get a Model M for a couple of weeks so she pleads for the return of the MX red.

O-rings will change the keyboard feel.

Or, what about a Matias silent keyboard?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 04:10:02 »
Type in another room or tell her to do whatever she's doing while you're typing in another room. What the hell.

But yes, either Matias Quiet or Silent MX.
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline Meyvn

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 15:41:43 »
If you love MX Red, you probably wouldn't like Matias Quiet Click (which is actually tactile rather than clicky, but is shockingly silent). You might, however, like their Quiet Linear switches, which are light and linear just like MX Red, but also silent.