Author Topic: 3d scanning Model M SSK's case?  (Read 2580 times)

Offline ag36

3d scanning Model M SSK's case?
« on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 09:46:51 »
I've been thinking about scanning the case of my SSK(still in transit) and publish it on GH for free download, the process would cost me approx £100~£300 depends where I get it scanned and how accurate and detailed the cad file is.

I have a few questions for everyone.

Is it legal to publish the 3d cad file? I believe Unicomp or IBM still have the rights for SSK's design(I know BS's patent already expired). This can't be counted as fair use right?

Are people actually interested making it other then just admiring it and let the 3d cad sit in their hard disk forever? Actual printed case won't look very appealing using thicker filaments to print it cheap($100) but high resolution print would cost more($300~3000$) then a real SSK($220~$1500). Also mechanical strength will be questionable and the case might wrap. I think is much easier to chop a full sized model M.

How do you think?
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: 3d scanning Model M SSK's case?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 10:18:56 »
I could've sworn someone already created a model of the case, at least for a fullsize which could be changed up to an SSK easily.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 13:20:08 »
I could've sworn someone already created a model of the case, at least for a fullsize which could be changed up to an SSK easily.

Yes, but it has probably been at least a couple of years ago.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 23:22:07 »
Cad files don't go bad, the thing you need to know is if it's accurate or if it's just someone's 3d rendering.

Something I see a lot is people will find a 3d design and will convert it to CAD or for 3d printing, never knowing if the design was accurate, intended for manufacturing or if it was even meant to  function in any way. I have no idea why they do this, maybe they think they are doing us a favor (like we have not seen these render libraries) or it's earning them some imaginary e-points, but the files are more or less trash and can waste someones time and money trying to use something that will never function.

This brings up a problem with 3d scanning, unless you are willing to take it apart and scan each and every part, the scan is just a pretty 3d render. Even if you take it apart, it still needs converting into something useful for manufacturing. On something like a keyboard, it's often easier, faster and cheaper to just create it in cad than to try and adapt a 3d scan. If it's a statue, scanning makes sense because it's organic, but something engineering-wise it's often better to just recreate it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 06:34:19 »
A keyboard case is really just a couple of screw holes and height offset for the pcb.

There's really nothing else to it...

If you just supply the measurements for those holes and offset, you can make a case that fits reasonably well..

Offline ag36

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 06:45:31 »
It would be scanned as dissembled, upper and lower case only with legs removed.

There's a few places that scans parts and make accurate cads for reverse engineering however I need to find the cheapest place to do it(abandon project if too expensive)

But I think there no point of making one as is easy to chop a full sized M and some people would rather prefer an smaller case then SSK(very bulky by today's standard)? Just wondering how everyone else think.

And of course, just measuring dimensions of everything would let anyone make a accurate SSK case easily and I can do it myself, pretty everything is same as M except the membrane and firmware for numlock mode and that can be solved with teensy and TNK/QMK and keycaps can be laser engraved at home.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 May 2018, 06:53:31 by ag36 »
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 06:54:04 »
It would be scanned as dissembled, upper and lower case only with legs removed.

There's a few places that scans parts and make accurate cads for reverse engineering however I need to find the cheapest place to do it(abandon project if too expensive)

But I think there no point of making one as is easy to chop a full sized M and some people would rather prefer an smaller case then SSK(very bulky by today's standard)? Just wondering how everyone else think.

And of course, just measuring dimensions of everything would let anyone make a accurate SSK case easily, pretty everything is same as M except the membrane and firmware for numlock mode and that can be solved with teensy and TNK/QMK.

Even if the project becomes (expensive), as long as you have a reasonably accurate digi-caliper and measure the screw hole position and the offset heights, someone with those numbers can easily cad a rectangle that will fit the board..

Offline ag36

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 07:03:21 »
exactly, except the measurement don't have to be very accurate and extra long caliper are very expensive.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 08:25:20 »
Somebody has done this, and I think it was SSKs.

I remember several brightly-colored finished keyboards installed, one in red, and a few other ugly colors. At the time the lack of decent colors made me mostly ignore it.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ag36

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 08:53:42 »
You mean the keyboards with metallic colour vinyl wrapped plate and leds? They're on ebay some times.

I can't find any existing measurements or cads for the SSK at the moment, must be too old to be found or complete lost due to time passing.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 10:07:56 »
My google skills are poor. I know that this has been done and it certainly came after r00tw0rm, perhaps more likely on DT. Somebody else find it.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 10:18:17 »
My google skills are poor. I know that this has been done and it certainly came after r00tw0rm, perhaps more likely on DT. Somebody else find it.

I remember it.  There were examples in some funky colors (seem to remember purples/pastels). 

I did find this thread, but I the one I'm thinking of actually looked like the original case:

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/model-m-3d-printed-frame-t14639.html
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets