Author Topic: Metal keyboard and electric shocks. What to do?  (Read 27463 times)

Offline dream3

Metal keyboard and electric shocks. What to do?
« on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 09:49:07 »
Hey guys,

I have a metal mechanical keyboard and often I get electric shocks when I touch it. I guess it's due to winter + heating + static right?

Well, how do I know if the problem is with the keyboard itself or something else?

My setup is the keyboard connected to a USB hub which is connected to my macbook's USB port. The HUB is powered. The macbook's charger is connected to a common power strip.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Offline killyou

Re: Metal keyboard and electric shocks. What to do?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 18:05:55 »
You can take it apart and check whether there are any metal elements from the PCB contacting the case.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 18:44:36 »
Put electrical tape on the mounting holes of the case and make a small hole for the screw to go in. Should stop conducting electricity.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 19:06:26 »
I’ve been in many threads discussing this.  Sometimes electrical tape helps, but it’s just the nature of the game.  I have dozens of boards that I shock myself on in the winter when it’s dry.  Here’s my final solution... I keep a lightning cable attached to my computer with the end by my keyboard.  I touch the tip of it before I sit down and let it shock me. 

I’ve even shocked myself on an old Chicony board from the 90s. 

Think about it.  You can shock yourself on the kitchen sink.  It’s nothing to do with power.  It’s just static discharge from your body

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 03:17:01 »
If by "shock", you actually really mean tingling felt when sliding your finger across the keyboard's case then the case might be connected to the ground wire in the USB cable.
If the keyboard has a USB socket and that socket is in contact with the case, then that could be it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2019, 03:22:12 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline dream3

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 08:32:02 »
Put electrical tape on the mounting holes of the case and make a small hole for the screw to go in. Should stop conducting electricity.

Im not sure I got that one. My case has a flat bottom plate that attaches to it with 4 screws through the bottom. Should I put the electrical tape outside or in between the case and the bottom plate?

You can take it apart and check whether there are any metal elements from the PCB contacting the case.

I has a USB-C that could totally be in contact with the case. But those should be isolated right? Isnt that basic?

I’ve been in many threads discussing this.  Sometimes electrical tape helps, but it’s just the nature of the game.  I have dozens of boards that I shock myself on in the winter when it’s dry.  Here’s my final solution... I keep a lightning cable attached to my computer with the end by my keyboard.  I touch the tip of it before I sit down and let it shock me. 

I’ve even shocked myself on an old Chicony board from the 90s. 

Think about it.  You can shock yourself on the kitchen sink.  It’s nothing to do with power.  It’s just static discharge from your body

I think you are right but for some reason I got much more from the keyboard than anything else. Ill try that though, lightning cable connected via USB to the computer and the lightning end free to shock you, is that it?

If by "shock", you actually really mean tingling felt when sliding your finger across the keyboard's case then the case might be connected to the ground wire in the USB cable.
If the keyboard has a USB socket and that socket is in contact with the case, then that could be it.

No, it's a literal shock that makes noise. It has a USB-C port.

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 20:59:41 »
Sounds like the problem I've been having. Your computer isn't properly earth grounded. Make sure your laptop has a 3-prong earthed plug.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2019, 21:02:09 by abrahamstechnology »

Offline dream3

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 21:22:45 »
Sounds like the problem I've been having. Your computer isn't properly earth grounded. Make sure your laptop has a 3-prong earthed plug.

Apple chargers have only 2 prongs but the outlet strip that it is connected to has 3.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 05:37:07 »
You need an antistatic wrist strap. Computer technicians wear them to avoid damaging fragile components when they touch them.

Before you get one, though, there's something you should know: They're chick magnets. If you put on an accessory that hot, be prepared to have babes climbing in through your windows.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 07:33:14 »
You need an antistatic wrist strap. Computer technicians wear them to avoid damaging fragile components when they touch them.

Before you get one, though, there's something you should know: They're chick magnets. If you put on an accessory that hot, be prepared to have babes climbing in through your windows.

/Confirmed..

/Tp4 ordering now. !!