Author Topic: The Switch Modification Thread -- lube, springs, + more  (Read 4836 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
The Switch Modification Thread -- lube, springs, + more
« on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 10:37:22 »
Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't believe there's a thread dedicated to modding switches.

So, may I present to you...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE SWITCH MODIFICATION THREAD
a one stop shop for lube, springs, + more

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't be the only one obsessed w/ finding the perfect combination of switch weight, smoothness, and style.

Anyways, in my 5+ years in the mechanical keyboard world, I've tried out many mods. I've narrowed down my favorites to:

- 62g/65g Ergoclears: Cherry MX Clears, 62g/65g SPRiT springs, Krytox GPL105/205 50:50 combo applied to spring, slider, stem & housing.
- 65g Lubed Linears: Gateron Black Switch, 65g SPRiT springs, Krytox GPL105/205 50:50 combo applied to spring, slider, stem & housing.

However, I need some advice on 2 incoming builds, with 2 PCB's each, for a total of 4 TKL's. (TGR Jane v2 & Duck Orion v3)

- For Cherry MX Blacks, would you recommend 63.5g in LINEAR or PROGRESSIVE form?

After years of swapping between 62g and 65g, I've found that 62g is a hair too light and 65g is a tad too heavy. I'm truly hoping 63.5g is as good as it sounds.

I imagine PROGRESSIVE would be best in a linear housing, but I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2019, 10:49:27 by bmilcs »

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: The Switch Modification Thread -- lube, springs, + more
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 14:20:24 »
What about a heavy clicky green switch in a linear housing? Idk, celtic greens?

Offline vegs

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 01:53:01 »
63.5g is good :cool:
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 05:05:28 »
If you're trying to avoid bottoming out progressive is the way to go with linears so you can learn where in the stiffness curve the activation point is.  With springs that light (I run 100g+) I'd be looking at o-rings.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 05:17:08 »
63.5g is good, would definitely recommend. I've been using these for most of my linears (except silenced ones as I prefer heavier for those).

Offline snurrebassen

• mechanical keyboard designer and enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 00:52:22 »
I've been wanting a thread like this  :D

I'm just 1+ year into this stuff, started my first build around this time last year, but I've just started to get into switch modding! I'm afraid I can't give you very insightful advice, but i'm interested in seeing the result of this/hearing what you end up with.

I'm a big fan of 78g springs actually, but it's about as heavy as I want to go. I'm planning on making my own smooth tactiles with YOK red pandas, MX clear stems, 78g progressive springs and lubed with 204/205, which I'm very excited to try out. My hope is that they will have a lighter downstroke, and then heavier around the actuation point.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 08:22:44 »
SABLE Hair Brush.. !!

Repeatability + Precision = Rapid Lubing.

-be weary of manufacturers passing off weasel hair as sable.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 08:38:32 »
NK Cream stems are fantastic. They are very smooth, stable enough, and impart a deeper sound to just about any switch. Put them in a Tealio v1 or v2, Gateron (clear or milky top), or Cherry housing. Yes, the posts of the stem are extra-long as is usual with Kailh, but if you don't bottom out hard (or you are one of those people who actually likes the "raindrop" bottom-out) it's not something you'll notice.

The housings aren't anything to write home about (and stock they still have the stick-slip problem), but with films they are pretty okay. They're good enough to use with your linear-stem leftovers from the above swaps, or because they have the nice sharp Kailh contact leaf they are fine with other tactile stems like Halo, Zealio v1/v2, and even Kailh brown.

Regular Kailh stems are pretty damn good too. Not sure if it's because they're (apparently) factory dry-lubed or what, but they are smoother than Gateron stems and more stable in e.g. a Cherry housing. I'm not even sure if the Cream stem is any different.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 07:03:04 »
What spring is the closest to cherry mx reds?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 07:52:13 »

Standard 45G springs
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 16:46:20 »

Standard 45G springs

That's not how they're measured..