Author Topic: Laptop keyboards: are Thinkpads really superior to everything else?  (Read 8469 times)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

As per title. I know this seems to be the majority opinion, but I wonder if it's just a popular legend or actually true.

I'm most interested in W540 as compared to Latitudes and Elitebooks/G-Books/Z-books (4th-gen up), presuming very heavy use scenario.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Re: Laptop keyboards: are Thinkpads really superior to everything else?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 19:20:46 »
After a certain point, computers are computers and you’re paying for small features or the product design.

I used to use a MacBook Pro, which I liked, but after getting into keyboards I ended up switching to a Lenovo X1 Carbon. I definitely like it more, and the keyboard is fantastic. I probably will stick with Thinkpads for a long time, and I definitely recommend them.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 19:30:00 »
I think macbooks and the higher range of thinkpads have very good keyboards as far as laptops go. Travel and actual keyswitch feel is part of it but also finding a laptop with a fairly standard layout with keys where you'd expect them to be also adds to that and both macbooks and thinkpads usually keep it simple. Here in canada especially if you buy a laptop in a store it sometimes only comes in the french canadian layout which is this odd ISO layout with some added ****ery.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 19:39:28 »
I switched to a MacBook Pro from a Surface Book 2 just this last year. The SB2 keyboard was a lot more comfortable than the MBP. I do not mind typing on the MBP keyboard for a little bit but I would not want to type on it all day. I use my hhkb bt with it most of the time.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 20:01:40 »
As per title. I know this seems to be the majority opinion, but I wonder if it's just a popular legend or actually true.

I'm most interested in W540 as compared to Latitudes and Elitebooks/G-Books/Z-books (4th-gen up), presuming very heavy use scenario.
Most corporate grade systems will have a decent keyboard in terms of feel and longevity. Though not all of those are corporate systems.

Is the Lenovo better? Yes and no.
Lenovo has just been more consistent with good ones over the years.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 20:31:35 »
Expanding on other comments...

I wouldn't include Apple in a discussion of good keyboards at the moment.
They are having a LOT of issues with reliability and there is also complaints about them being noisy. This is on top of complaints about how horrible they are for long term use. Older ones were great and could rival Lenovo keyboards for feel, the butterfly ones are not.

I also would not put Microsoft in the good keyboard bracket either.
The typing feel is good, and that palmrest feels fantastic, but that covering on the keyboard gets NASTY over time and that material is hard to clean. Not to mention the entire lineup is almost impossible to repair. It's saying something when Apple scores better for repairability. They're nice and really well made, you just can't fix or upgrade them.

Also, none of them have spill protection like Lenovo.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Coreda

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 20:41:42 »

Feels appropriate to be watched between the fingers covering one's eyes in horror. Though the real question I suppose is how it would hold up later.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 20:42:26 »

That's only the top though.. no side spill protection.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 21:15:29 »
That's only the top though.. no side spill protection.
Oh, this is mild compared to what some have done.
There is video of an X220(?) being dunked in an aquarium and a T series going for a swim in the NASA astronaut training pool. Search youtube for Lenovo and water.

As for holding up, most do fine and I know of at least one warrantied.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Coreda

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 21:27:50 »
Oh, this is mild compared to what some have done.
There is video of an X220(?) being dunked in an aquarium and a T series going for a swim in the NASA astronaut training pool. Search youtube for Lenovo and water.

If this is the one you mean it appears to just be solely for promotional purposes as the laptop itself isn't waterproof (nor is it even turned on in the ad), which is mentioned a few times in disclaimer text.

It's actually interesting how the whole spectacle of a NASA guy in a suit and it being submerged in a large pool alone is meant to convey some impression of a feat of engineering yet it's just a powered off non-waterproof laptop being submerged in water. Apparently an effective impression though :)

Tried to find the aquarium one but couldn't source it. Saw a Louis Rossman water spill test video though, which also held up fine, though he cleaned it with alcohol soon after.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 February 2019, 21:29:45 by Coreda »

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 10:15:30 »
What about Latitude 6540/6440/7240/7440? Singling this one out because it's different from those before and after, and also from 5440/5540. The load 'board before Dell went chiclet. I like it (in my 7240 and my step-father's 7440), but I've heard people berate it in comparison to Thinkpad's. Myself, I've never used a Thinkpad for long enough to form my own opinion and have no friends or neighbours to borrow one from for a day or two to test.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 14:12:36 »
When people say they like Thinkpad keyboards, they are often talking about older keyboards before the chiclet era.

I don't like the feel of Microsoft Surface or recent Apple MacBook keyboards. I especially don't like how some colours of MS Surface keyboards have keys that are more slippery than others, and when if you rub your finger along the space bar, you can feel lots of bumps.
Recent Lenovo chiclet keyboards may feel better than most laptop keyboards I have tried, but there can be others out there I don't know about that are just as good/bad.
But everyone has a different taste, and judging by the comments on the MacBook keyboards with super-low-profile keys, the opinions seem to be divided: Many hate them, and some like them.

You really have to try a keyboard out in person, and preferably use it for a little while, to find out if you like a keyboard or not.
🍉

Offline mac2

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 18:52:02 »
After a certain point, computers are computers and you’re paying for small features or the product design.

I used to use a MacBook Pro, which I liked, but after getting into keyboards I ended up switching to a Lenovo X1 Carbon. I definitely like it more, and the keyboard is fantastic. I probably will stick with Thinkpads for a long time, and I definitely recommend them.
+1 for X1 Carbon. You can often find great deals on carbons on the hardwareswap and thinkpadsforsale subreddits.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 18:57:44 »
Only thing I don't like about my carbon x1 is the placement of the fn key. Its in the bottom left and I frequently press it thinking im hitting ctrl.

*I know this is the case with all thinkpads but its just annoying*
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 March 2019, 18:59:17 by HPE1000 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 20:11:42 »
I have been using think pads for seven years now. Their keyboards are good, for a laptop, but poor compared with mech keyboards.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 03:02:29 »
Tried to find the aquarium one but couldn't source it. Saw a Louis Rossman water spill test video though, which also held up fine, though he cleaned it with alcohol soon after.
I think it got removed though I'm not sure why.
Rossman's notebook later died, he says it was unrelated but it was covered under warranty regardless if it was or not.

By comparison, Apple's have been killed by bugs peeing in them and the water sensors have been triggered by just being in humid conditions, which voids your warranty.

When people say they like Thinkpad keyboards, they are often talking about older keyboards before the chiclet era.

Recent Lenovo chiclet keyboards may feel better than most laptop keyboards I have tried, but there can be others out there I don't know about that are just as good/bad.
But everyone has a different taste, and judging by the comments on the MacBook keyboards with super-low-profile keys, the opinions seem to be divided: Many hate them, and some like them.
Some people like the newer chicklet style, but yes, the reputation comes from the old ones. However, the Lenovo chicklet is still better than other chicklets.

Whether or not you like the Mac butterfly or not, it still has reliability issues. The newer V2 is better, but there are still too many reports of problems. This is on top of the fact that newer Macs themselves have a lot of issues/quirks and you cannot really separate Mac hardware from software. Buying a Mac means buying into the Apple ecosystem.

As for trying them, I've found it takes only seconds to figure out if it's garbage. Notebook keyboards don't have the range mechanicals do and most people are simply happy if it isn't mush or flexible, which you can find that information in a review. Really, it doesn't take much to be a decent laptop keyboard, just don't be garbage. Unfortunately it's a spot that is easy to save money on.

Only thing I don't like about my carbon x1 is the placement of the fn key. Its in the bottom left and I frequently press it thinking im hitting ctrl.
Almost every Thinkpad offers a way to swap that in bios.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Polymer

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 05:50:41 »
I have been using think pads for seven years now. Their keyboards are good, for a laptop, but poor compared with mech keyboards.

Agreed.  Compared to most other laptops the keyboard on a Thinkpad is pretty good....but it is pretty poor compared to any mech board...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:48:43 »

Agreed.  Compared to most other laptops the keyboard on a Thinkpad is pretty good....but it is pretty poor compared to any mech board...

I have also noticed a slightly better feel on the backlit version of the contemporary TP keyboards like those in the T460s. The key travel appears to be longer than regular non-backlit versions and that produces a feel closer to an actual mechanical switch board.

Offline Maxyol

• “A small rock holds back a great wave”. Homer
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 22:31:20 »
I have an old hp laptop which has has tactile bump it feels pretty nice just haven’t tried a thinkpad keyboard yet

Offline NTwoO

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 05:25:41 »
The biggest miss on the laptop keyboards is the lack of matrix layout. Does anyone know of a laptop with matrix layout or aftermarket matrix keyboard available?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 11:16:35 »
Matrix layout is not recommended unless it is split or there are keys in-between two halves.
🍉

Offline Kavik

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 11:47:07 »
The newer-ish Thinkpads at the office have pretty crappy keyboards (island keys) with very shallow key travel and little tactility, but my T420 at home has a pretty darned good keyboard, both in layout and key feel. I wouldn't mind using it as a primary if it could detach from the laptop.

As reference, the last laptop I had before the T420 was some Gateway from 2007. Its keyboard was serviceable, neither good nor bad. In comparison, the T420 is much nicer though.

I don't know anything about Apple stuff, but I've used my brother's Mac something-or-another laptop, and I would consider it to be the worst keyboard I've ever used: completely flat with no tactile feedback and almost no key travel; it feels like typing on a 1mm thick sponge/cork mat on a hard table.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 13:32:54 »
I agree that a matrix layout is not for everyone. Besides, having different layouts when at the office is not convenient.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 19:20:37 »
Thanks, folks. It seems I'll be sticking with Dell, though.

Can anybody compare older pre-chiclet pre-island Dells (7240/7440, 6440/6540, 4th-gen Precisions) vs more modern Dell island chiclets like in Latitude 5570/Precision 3510 first-hand?

I'm familiar with the old Dells but not the new ones.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 08:01:54 »
The newer-ish Thinkpads at the office have pretty crappy keyboards (island keys) with very shallow key travel and little tactility, but my T420 at home has a pretty darned good keyboard, both in layout and key feel. I wouldn't mind using it as a primary if it could detach from the laptop.

As reference, the last laptop I had before the T420 was some Gateway from 2007. Its keyboard was serviceable, neither good nor bad. In comparison, the T420 is much nicer though.
I dunno...the island ones aren't too bad...The older ones I thought were better but not by much...The island ones have slightly better stability...I don't mind using them at all.

Obviously not when I have a good alternative....but compared to most other laptop keyboards, it is pretty good..

Offline Kavik

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 14:01:46 »

I dunno...the island ones aren't too bad...The older ones I thought were better but not by much...The island ones have slightly better stability...I don't mind using them at all.

Obviously not when I have a good alternative....but compared to most other laptop keyboards, it is pretty good..

I wonder if there are different generations of the island key variant. The laptops I was referring to aren't here anymore for me to get the model number, but, the couple times I used them, I remember having trouble discerning whether I was actually pressing particular keys because the travel and tactility were so low.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 15:41:02 »
It's all about that BLUE, enter key..

As long as the laptop has Blue Enter Key... it's gonna be pretty good.

Offline NTwoO

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 02:06:53 »
Matrix layout is not recommended unless it is split or there are keys in-between two halves.
And why wouldn't something like  this work? What is the advantage of having the staggered layout?

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 07:02:48 »

I'd say a strong yes - I haven't found any laptop keyboard close to the goodness of the modern ThinkPad keyboard. My work computer is an X1 Carbon, and it's a fine example of KB excellence. The previous ThinkPad KB design, with seven rows, is often pumped up as better, but I think it's more the great seven row layout that was superior. Earlier laptops by Toshiba, Compaq, and others had full size keys and mech switches - those were truly superior IMO - but of course they made the laptop slightly bigger, heavier, and more expensive, so they had to disappear, I guess.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 09:21:16 »
And why wouldn't something like  this work? What is the advantage of having the staggered layout?
With columnar layout, users use one finger per column, but when the columns for both hands run close together in parallel like that then that would put both wrists in awkward angles.
Keyboards with columnar layouts therefore need to be split apart enough and/or have the halves angled to be able to allow the users to have each wrist in a straight relaxed angle that is not straining.

With row-staggered layout, the way most users actually use keyboards is not lining up bothhands in those same "columns". Instead, people have evolved typing styles that have both wrists relatively straight.
(QWERTY was never designed for the hand but to allow type-arms to be placed at equal distance to each other. Typing schools that organised keys in columns came later)
One hand tends to be more-or-less against the rows, and the other tends to have the fingers over diagonal "columns". (either hand could be the diagonal one. I have seen both, but I believe having the right on the diagonal is more common)
Another way of putting it: row-staggered layout is as if the one half of the orthonormal keyboard was rotated ~24° and the other half got its middle row shifted. (And ... B falls in-between halves and Q is for the left hand as far away as left Shift)
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 March 2019, 09:34:18 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Polymer

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 15:01:38 »

I wonder if there are different generations of the island key variant. The laptops I was referring to aren't here anymore for me to get the model number, but, the couple times I used them, I remember having trouble discerning whether I was actually pressing particular keys because the travel and tactility were so low.

Well I've been using Lenovo's X and T series for a long time...and been fortunate to get to use a number of these...the island ones feel similar to the ones I remember when they first came out..although to be honest, I didn't have the first gen T series that had them...but I did have the second.  Overall I think they're pretty decent.

I think the laptops themselves are pretty ordinary..but the T and X series are both solid performers for work and the keyboards are definitely some of the best of any laptop keyboard I've tried...but I try my best not to use that keyboard :D.

Offline jamster

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 19:01:00 »

I would second this. The older Thinkpads had amazing keyboards, off memory they used to be made in Thailand. There was a loss in quality when they moved production (to China) but remained non-chicklet. Then they went chicklet, and in my opinion are now like the majority of other chicklet boards out there.

I still have a Thinkpad from the Chinese chicklet era, and use it as my casual laptop just for the keyboard.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 21:31:10 »
Just cleaned out my x220 fan today..

Haven't actually typed on the keyboard in years, because it's running as a desktop.

Compared to newer chiclet style on my other lenovos, I would say it's pretty much identical, except if you adopt a typing style that's Closer to the key.

If you type with Fingers-High, Large lifts between strokes,  They feel almost identical.

If you type with Fingers-Straight, Palm close to the board, The chiclet may feel less organic moving across the keys, because the edges feel like hard breaks, cobble stones beneath your feet,  x220 original style, feels like rolling grass fields, Nothing to fall off of.

Offline NTwoO

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 02:05:00 »
With columnar layout, users use one finger per column, but when the columns for both hands run close together in parallel like that then that would put both wrists in awkward angles.
Keyboards with columnar layouts therefore need to be split apart enough and/or have the halves angled to be able to allow the users to have each wrist in a straight relaxed angle that is not straining.

With row-staggered layout, the way most users actually use keyboards is not lining up bothhands in those same "columns". Instead, people have evolved typing styles that have both wrists relatively straight.
(QWERTY was never designed for the hand but to allow type-arms to be placed at equal distance to each other. Typing schools that organised keys in columns came later)
One hand tends to be more-or-less against the rows, and the other tends to have the fingers over diagonal "columns". (either hand could be the diagonal one. I have seen both, but I believe having the right on the diagonal is more common)
Another way of putting it: row-staggered layout is as if the one half of the orthonormal keyboard was rotated ~24° and the other half got its middle row shifted. (And ... B falls in-between halves and Q is for the left hand as far away as left Shift)

OK, fair argument. I'm going to have a look next time I type on my keyboard if this is noticeable. The lack of space is in any case a problem for me, so this can only get worse if the keyboard forces it even further.

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 18:33:00 »
These take me back to middle school and high school. I would see a lot of people use these ThinkPads, and I even got to try them. I swear I remember seeing a few with the IBM logo on there and they were pretty good. I miss using that little trackpoint in the middle of the keyboard sometimes. Had no idea they were still producing these. Currently use a MacBook Air which is alright, but I have one of the last models before they switched to butterfly caps I believe and I kept hearing so much about how hoirrlble the new ones are.

If this laptop ever breaks down, I think I'd take a look at a ThinkPad myself.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 18:42:31 »
These take me back to middle school and high school. I would see a lot of people use these ThinkPads, and I even got to try them. I swear I remember seeing a few with the IBM logo on there and they were pretty good. I miss using that little trackpoint in the middle of the keyboard sometimes. Had no idea they were still producing these. Currently use a MacBook Air which is alright, but I have one of the last models before they switched to butterfly caps I believe and I kept hearing so much about how hoirrlble the new ones are.

If this laptop ever breaks down, I think I'd take a look at a ThinkPad myself.

I wouldn't pay the thinkpad price,

There's no reason to buy a thinkpad imho, because even if it's a bit more durable for the long haul,  obsolescence is 2-3 years like every other laptop.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 19:50:21 »
Track points are a pain in the ass; however the keyboards were far better than currents. The bottom line is quite simple: No laptop keyboard compares with even the worst mechanical keyboard; however, some are useful.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 21:58:06 »
There's no reason to buy a thinkpad imho, because even if it's a bit more durable for the long haul,  obsolescence is 2-3 years like every other laptop.
This is EXTREMELY dependent on you use case and in most case simply not true.

For office work/general desktop/ultra portable use a laptop can go 7-10 years, your own X220 proves this.
CPU speeds have stalled and ram capacity has stalled and even regressed in some cases. Yes, you can get more cores, but more cores are not the same. Yes, we have touchscreens, higher resolutions and USB type 3/C, but none of those impact performance. Now if you are gaming, of course it only lasts 3 years, but why in the heck would you be buying a corporate grade general purpose laptop if you are gaming?

As for cpu cores.
Chrome can only use two threads, Firefox is two to four threads, that's it beyond that, there is no performance increase. In fact under normal day to day use there is no benefit to having more than about 6 threads. Sorry, but 32core Threadripper isn't going to be any better under normal loads than a decent mid level Core I5. In fact 32 threads is actually where even the best desktop performance flatlines. We've reached peak core count already, this is why Intel dropped hyperthreading on the I7, for most people having 8 normal cores is more than enough. My desktop has 6core/12 threads, it's not uncommon for several of them to be completely idle at any time.

I'm not saying newer systems are not faster, but it's not much.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 22:52:44 »

This is EXTREMELY dependent on you use case and in most case simply not true.

For office work/general desktop/ultra portable use a laptop can go 7-10 years, your own X220 proves this.

An x220 in Tp4's hands can still fly,   U give one of these oldies to a young person, they'll install it into a crawl and chew though a 9cell in under 2 hours.

Laptops in the wide don't last very long. Something always breaks , even thinkpads. I.T. people usually are a little more careful, but still, hinges, keyboards, ports, screens, grease-dust, carpet dust.  The physical stuff don't last, and if not self-repaired, with Geeksquad prices that general consumers face, one might as well buy a new laptop.

Someone in the know, might do well with a tinkertype Thinkpad,  but the average schmo,  just buy a new toshiba satellite every 3 yrs, and he's good to go.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 02:59:48 »
An x220 in Tp4's hands can still fly,   U give one of these oldies to a young person, they'll install it into a crawl and chew though a 9cell in under 2 hours.

Laptops in the wide don't last very long. Something always breaks , even thinkpads. I.T. people usually are a little more careful, but still, hinges, keyboards, ports, screens, grease-dust, carpet dust.  The physical stuff don't last, and if not self-repaired, with Geeksquad prices that general consumers face, one might as well buy a new laptop.

Someone in the know, might do well with a tinkertype Thinkpad,  but the average schmo,  just buy a new toshiba satellite every 3 yrs, and he's good to go.
I completely disagree.
The math doesn't work if you know someone even remotely competent, and that includes your local computer shop.

You buy a Toshiba/Hp/Acer/etc.. they spend $700-800. Yes it has a nice warranty, but can you go without your laptop for 2 weeks while it gets repaired? If it's a work laptop, absolutely not. In 2-3 years that laptop is tired and beat and you want to replace it. That's what it was designed to do, last long enough to survive the warranty.

By comparison I can deck out a nice used Lenovo for about $350 and they get about 5 years from it. If it breaks or gets dropped it's cheap to fix. I get called in once every 9 months on average to do a clean up and they stay running well the entire time (most have learned to call at the first sign of trouble). The biggest reason they get replaced is the HDD fails (expensive to fix) or the OS is so out of date that compatibility is an issue. I actually have quite a number of systems in offices and running around in cars that I service that are over a decade old and still going, slow by modern standards, but it's 10 years old, what do you expect.

As far as speed, yeah they may bring it to a crawl, but they would do that to any machine so that's a wash. A four year old mid level I5/8gb/ssd is not going to bog down noticeably faster than a newer mid to low end I5/8gb/ssd, they aren't that dissimilar and if they bog down one, the other is not far behind because it's cumulative. If they have it cleaned up every 9 months or so it will stay running well, but many will run them into the ground before they take it in for servicing, at which point a good shop or tech can fix it, while Geek Squad is going to recommend a brand new system. We'll get to why in a moment.

Total cost of ownership for 5 years
Lenovo = $350 + $600 worth of servicing.
Toshiba = $700 + another $700 2-3 years later + $600 worth of servicing.
That's $950 vs $2000.
And if it's an office, I can service multiples for less.

Now, you can say they could buy cheaper ones, true, but they don't because the last one they bought for $400 only lasted two years and it was slow and they hated it from the day they brought it home. When was the last time you used a brand new $400 computer? They suck. So they spent $500 hoping it will last longer, while a little faster, it didn't so they tried $600, then $700, then $800. I have customers who were spending well over a grand trying to find laptops that would survive more than 2-3 years. This is why people end up buying an Apple, they get on this endless cycle of junk that falls apart after 2-3 years and they get fed up with it (and dealing with Geek Squad) and think Apple is the answer. 

Regarding Geeksquad
Geeksquad are not techs, they used to be before Best Buy bought them, but they aren't anymore.
They are the top sales people retrained as "techs", anything serious is either done remotely by a real tech or sent out to a depot to be repaired and they do a piss poor job of it. The fact that it's their top sales people should also be a clue about their real purpose, sales. Call a tech or take it to an actual computer shop where they hire people who can fix things, you will pay less and it will be taken care of better and usually faster.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 07:47:06 »

I completely disagree.
The math doesn't work if you know someone even remotely competent, and that includes your local computer shop.

This is predicated on living around a -Beacon- of Computer prowess individuals such as Leslieann.

Tp4 didn't know-a-computer-guy until Tp4 BECAME a computer guy. It's Less-rare modern 2019, but hardware competence is still not as ubiquitous as a stones throw.

Most peeps living outside our faith, have little access to service, their only minor relief being big box Bestbuy.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 14:59:43 »
This discussion is a waste of time as it has been derailed now.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 15:04:27 »
A guy who reverse-engineered and patched the firmware of his newer ThinkPad so he could install an older, better keyboard.

Unfortunately, the trick may not work on newer firmwares with stronger cryptographic signatures...
🍉

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 17:35:34 »
I like the current ThinkPad keyboard so much I bought an external version to put into my KB rotation at work.  They're approximately $72 on Amazon.

214792-0

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 18:05:23 »
This is predicated on living around a -Beacon- of Computer prowess individuals such as Leslieann.

Tp4 didn't know-a-computer-guy until Tp4 BECAME a computer guy. It's Less-rare modern 2019, but hardware competence is still not as ubiquitous as a stones throw.

Most peeps living outside our faith, have little access to service, their only minor relief being big box Bestbuy.

Are you saying there's no local computer shop where you live?
Computers have become as common as home appliances, there is somewhere/someplace within 20-30 minute drive you can take it to get it fixed.

Beacon of prowess? Hahaha no.
I live 60 miles from a semi major city in a town of 5k people, a quick Google Maps search for "computer repair" shows that I have around 30 computer repair shops/people within 20 minutes or so, all of those are closer than the nearest Best Buy. This actually surprised even me since I expected only a handful, but it makes sense, TONS of tech people do it as a side job. Any town with more than 2k people probably has at least one or two competent techs and possibly even a computer shop. Then there is Facebook, I'm not even on Facebook but my customers share my info to friends when they have a problem. There is also the last resort, Craigslist, which for some reason is some people's first choice after Best Buy (this is not a recommendation to hire off Craigslist!).

There is someone near you who can fix it, you just have to look. Which is the problem, people don't. I've lived in some pretty small towns in the middle of nowhere, and I never had much trouble finding someone to help fix my computers before I learned. Computers/tablets are as common, actually more common in many homes, than home appliances, someone has to maintain them. Why people think they have to return it to the store they bought it from instead of calling a tech is beyond me. Do you take your toilet to Home Depot when it has a problem? No, you call a plumber, and yet that's what people do with computers.

As for knowing other techs, I've been doing this for many years and I couldn't tell you the name of another tech, I've seen two but I couldn't tell you their names. I was called in to fix their mistakes and just managed to catch a glimpse of them as they left. We don't converse, we don't even say hi. In fact, in my experience techs are somewhat adversarial, not only do we compete for the same customers, but we also have to clean up the mistakes the last person made. It's not hate, but there's certainly some disdain for each other.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Polymer

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 19:21:51 »
I completely disagree.

By comparison I can deck out a nice used Lenovo for about $350 and they get about 5 years from it. If it breaks or gets dropped it's cheap to fix. I get called in once every 9 months on average to do a clean up and they stay running well the entire time (most have learned to call at the first sign of trouble). The biggest reason they get replaced is the HDD fails (expensive to fix) or the OS is so out of date that compatibility is an issue. I actually have quite a number of systems in offices and running around in cars that I service that are over a decade old and still going, slow by modern standards, but it's 10 years old, what do you expect.

As far as speed, yeah they may bring it to a crawl, but they would do that to any machine so that's a wash. A four year old mid level I5/8gb/ssd is not going to bog down noticeably faster than a newer mid to low end I5/8gb/ssd, they aren't that dissimilar and if they bog down one, the other is not far behind because it's cumulative. If they have it cleaned up every 9 months or so it will stay running well, but many will run them into the ground before they take it in for servicing, at which point a good shop or tech can fix it, while Geek Squad is going to recommend a brand new system. We'll get to why in a moment.

Total cost of ownership for 5 years
Lenovo = $350 + $600 worth of servicing.
Toshiba = $700 + another $700 2-3 years later + $600 worth of servicing.
That's $950 vs $2000.
And if it's an office, I can service multiples for less.

I think this is incredibly misleading...Most companies depreciate Laptops over 3 years...which means there is no reason for them to try to squeeze more out of the laptop at that point.

In addition, while it is useful to have someone that can repair them, it depends on the company and how wide they are.  Is it useful to have many contracts all over the world to repair your laptops?  No you probably have a single maintenance agreement that isn't cheap....So having one person at one location (or region) that can repair laptops just isn't useful...It is for a small company but in the end is it a good use of that persons time?  Maybe...maybe not..

From a personal level, sure, you might stretch it out a bit more..but still, laptops are so cheap now it isn't even worth trying to get them fixed...unless it is just a personal hobby.  It isn't a matter of finding a place, it is a matter of the cost to get it fixed and time spent to do so.  A computer repair person is still going to charge you for labor...charge you for parts...and in the end you've basically funded another PC.  Obviously this calculation changes if you've spent 2k on a laptop you're more likely to spend money to get it fixed...but there are so many great ones that are dirt cheap, there is just no point any longer. 

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 22:33:53 »
I think this is incredibly misleading...Most companies depreciate Laptops over 3 years...which means there is no reason for them to try to squeeze more out of the laptop at that point.

In addition, while it is useful to have someone that can repair them, it depends on the company and how wide they are.  Is it useful to have many contracts all over the world to repair your laptops?  No you probably have a single maintenance agreement that isn't cheap....So having one person at one location (or region) that can repair laptops just isn't useful...It is for a small company but in the end is it a good use of that persons time?  Maybe...maybe not..

From a personal level, sure, you might stretch it out a bit more..but still, laptops are so cheap now it isn't even worth trying to get them fixed...unless it is just a personal hobby.  It isn't a matter of finding a place, it is a matter of the cost to get it fixed and time spent to do so.  A computer repair person is still going to charge you for labor...charge you for parts...and in the end you've basically funded another PC.  Obviously this calculation changes if you've spent 2k on a laptop you're more likely to spend money to get it fixed...but there are so many great ones that are dirt cheap, there is just no point any longer.
I highly doubt someone who handles purchasing for a major corporation is reading GH looking for purchasing advice for their corporation.
Yes, they usually have a service contract with a company, I've had to do fill in work when they didn't have someone locally to handle a problem, this is actually more common than companies realize. They will send someone, but it may not be a company employee who shows up. I know how old those systems are, 3 year replacement cycle? The employees should be so lucky.

That said, most companies around the world are small businesses, not a major corporation. While it's great that you can write off a major purchase, you still have to spend that money out of your pocket in the first place and it's considered money never earned. Think of it a different way, you earned less. If you are buying 5 or 6 laptops a year, that's a few thousand a year not going into your pocket if you are the owner. Taxed or not, it's lost income.

Laptops are so cheap they aren't worth fixing?
I think you've been burned entirely too many times by Geeksquad if you think it's too expensive to repair. They will junk anything first chance they get because that is their business, selling computers. I just had one the other day, an $800 laptop well under 2 years old and they wanted to junk it for a broken screen and hinge. Which is when it was brought to me.

It's usually about $60-100 or so to have a shop clean up a system, I charge more but I do on-site repair (including networks, printers and scanners) but even I rarely exceed $120 in labor unless you really made a mess of something or you have a bunch of things needing work. Most screens can be replaced for about $150-$200.  While that may not be worth it on a $300 Acer you bought two years ago on clearance, you probably hated that computer since you took it home and were just looking for an excuse to get rid of it anyway. Buy something worthwhile and you will want to fix it.

My point is you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get something you will actually enjoy using as opposed to wishing it would just die so you can replace it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline whalematrontron

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 05:24:31 »
I'm quite partial to the surface keyboards on microsoft's laptop/ tablet line too, but Lenovo definitely has one of the best laptop keyboards in the business.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 14:05:34 »
Laptops are so cheap they aren't worth fixing?
I think you've been burned entirely too many times by Geeksquad if you think it's too expensive to repair. They will junk anything first chance they get because that is their business, selling computers. I just had one the other day, an $800 laptop well under 2 years old and they wanted to junk it for a broken screen and hinge. Which is when it was brought to me.

It's usually about $60-100 or so to have a shop clean up a system, I charge more but I do on-site repair (including networks, printers and scanners) but even I rarely exceed $120 in labor unless you really made a mess of something or you have a bunch of things needing work. Most screens can be replaced for about $150-$200.  While that may not be worth it on a $300 Acer you bought two years ago on clearance, you probably hated that computer since you took it home and were just looking for an excuse to get rid of it anyway. Buy something worthwhile and you will want to fix it.

I would never use Geeksquad..for anything...

But fixing a laptop is more than labor...If the motherboard is a goner (which isn't that uncommon) then it costs a ton to replace and it isn't just like you can get a 3rd party motherboard to replace it.
Drive?  You can likely replace that easily yourself..depending on what the situation is and what it takes to do that.  Ideally it is easy but sometimes it isn't. 
Screen you just said 150-200...so all of this to fix what was lets say an $800 laptop 3 years ago..and can probably be found used for 200 today....

Basically, your math doesn't work out...in any sense...You're better off buying a bunch of used laptops than paying someone to fix them..unless it is a simple problem, it just isn't worth it.

Again, if you bought a 2k laptop, it is probably worth fixing..but a good solid laptop nowadays can be had for under 800 easily....and it just doesn't make sense if it is anything more than buying a replacement part that can slot right in. 

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 19:04:47 »
I would never use Geeksquad..for anything...

But fixing a laptop is more than labor...If the motherboard is a goner (which isn't that uncommon) then it costs a ton to replace and it isn't just like you can get a 3rd party motherboard to replace it.
Drive?  You can likely replace that easily yourself..depending on what the situation is and what it takes to do that.  Ideally it is easy but sometimes it isn't. 
Screen you just said 150-200...so all of this to fix what was lets say an $800 laptop 3 years ago..and can probably be found used for 200 today....

Basically, your math doesn't work out...in any sense...You're better off buying a bunch of used laptops than paying someone to fix them..unless it is a simple problem, it just isn't worth it.

Again, if you bought a 2k laptop, it is probably worth fixing..but a good solid laptop nowadays can be had for under 800 easily....and it just doesn't make sense if it is anything more than buying a replacement part that can slot right in.

You start with an $800 laptop that is now worth $200 and junk it over a $150 screen or board replacement.
Okay...  You still have to replace that laptop, it's unusable. You just spent  $800 to fix a $150 problem.

It doesn't matter if the laptop is only worth $200 now, it needs to be fixed or replaced and you are not taking into account everything involved in replacing it.
You still need to move your data, setup your printer/scanner network, familiarize yourself with a possibly new OS, reinstall your software, make your preference changes... Do you know how to recover all your data or was it backed up recently, can you restore it? Do you have the equipment? For my customers in your scenario, they just bought an $800 laptop to fix a $150 problem, and they are still going to be calling me out and paying $120 to get their data moved over and setup everything. So it's not $800 to fix the problem, it's $920 to fix a $150 problem, and that "fix" still means taking time out to go buy the laptop, scheduling an appointment and waiting until I can get out there to do the job which itself will take a couple hours. Then they have familiarize themselves with all the changes because it's almost never quite the same as it was no matter how hard I try.

So let's go the other way. Let's say you do buy the $200 copy of what you had because the screen broke.
How much time did you spend finding/buying and waiting on delivery? You still lack all of your data and you have an unknown variable, the laptop itself?  Is that a dead pixel, is that hinge a bit wonky, how is the battery? Is that fan failing? You just opened yourself up to a whole new set of problems as opposed to just fixing what you had and you knew worked. Yes, you have spare parts, but what if the part you need next time is the same part that failed last time. You haven't accomplished anything.

A motherboard requires no software changes or anything to replace, it's about as difficult as replacing a screen.  A T440 motherboard swap is about $150 and a T460 motherboard swap would be about $250. I can usually swap a Thinkpad motherboard in 45 minutes or so if I'm in a hurry and the user is back up and running immediately. A home system will cost more because there are fewer parts (if any) available, even fewer certified good ones, and it takes longer to do the job due to the construction.

By comparison, a drive or system replacement can take hours.
It's not the drive cost or even the labor to install it, it's what comes after. You have data recovery if possible, reloading Windows, re-installing software, you have to re-learn and re install things you used to have like browser extensions etc. It can take weeks for a customer to get back to where everything works like it used to. Replacing a drive is one of the biggest pains in the neck I (and customers) have to deal with. There is more labor involved in replacing a drive than it is to replace the system and it's just as hard on the customer to get used to after. This is why I say drives are what usually kill old Lenovos. It's a combination of cost, age and hassle.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More