Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1248282 times)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #3250 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 20:31:33 »
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #3251 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 22:18:22 »

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #3252 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 22:35:47 »
No trawling! I'll just solder everything upside down (right polarity though) and pray it works. As for the firmware, I'd just slowly poke through the settings. I imagine it'll be upside down or something in the end.
well, that's an option too ;) just as long as you know to expect to have fun and games in code with the firmware once it's all done. good luck!

Oh yes, fun will be had!

I'm already relishing the opportunity of soldering all my own switches, etc. so this will be my Magnum Opus. Or at least my first great work. :D

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3253 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:09:36 »
is there a way to test with a multimeter if my smd and teensy/io-expander are soldered properly before i solder the switches? 

this is the multimeter i own:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVYGZA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i soldered everything but the switches yesterday.  i am not confident about my work but i tried super duper hard and really focused on this bastard. i really hope everything works, if it does i am going to be so very very happy.  i would love to test my smd and usb cable soldering jobs though.

i did not expect that usb connection from the teensy to be so difficult. that was a real bastard.

also the plastic plate that comes with the massdrop order allows for switch tops to be opened if we want to swap out the springs afterwards right?  i just tracked down a bunch of binder clips that i think will work since i dont own a set of BEASTS SWITCH TOP TOOLS (which i want very badly).
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:13:05 by tricheboars »

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #3254 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 17:06:35 »
I am not sure whether there are formal ways to test ergodox using a multimeter, but I use the following method:

1. if you have everything ready but the switches, you can now attach your ergodox to the computer
2. use a keyboard test program, I use xev in linux
3. then use tweezers to short the holes for the switches, test each one of the switches, you will see which one is acting funny

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #3255 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 19:39:40 »
I am not sure whether there are formal ways to test ergodox using a multimeter, but I use the following method:

1. if you have everything ready but the switches, you can now attach your ergodox to the computer
2. use a keyboard test program, I use xev in linux
3. then use tweezers to short the holes for the switches, test each one of the switches, you will see which one is acting funny

+1, this is what I'd do. Make sure you know which layout the Ergodox is set to though, not all switches will send a key to the pc, eg if they are set as layer switching keys or something. I'd do a testing layout in the configurator and put that on the ergodox.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3256 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 19:14:48 »
So ergodox has been working fine since I finished it and then this morning, I wake up and it won't recognize inputs and I can't get the teensy into programming mode.

Unplug it all, plug just the right hand back in and it works fine.  Plug the left hand in and I get a "too much power" USB shut down warning and no input recognized again.  Unplug left hand, right hand works.  Plug in just trrs cable, still ok, plug left hand in, and it's back to nothing.

Considering it worked 18 hours ago, could it be something like the mcp or trrs port being faulty?

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #3257 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:09:59 »
Measure the resistance with left side disconnected between the let side's pwr and gnd. Also try it with the the TRRS cable in the left side only. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will show a short that needs addressed. Then you'll have to find it!

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3258 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 18:59:56 »
my dox is complete and it is ****ing awesome. i really suck at typing with it though...

is there a prefered way to keep this bastard from moving around so much when i type with it?  this guy slides around like crazy when i type. this message took me about 2 minutes to type and there were a **** ton of typos.

« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 19:11:57 by tricheboars »

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3259 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 19:47:17 »
my dox is complete and it is ****ing awesome. i really suck at typing with it though...

is there a prefered way to keep this bastard from moving around so much when i type with it?  this guy slides around like crazy when i type. this message took me about 2 minutes to type and there were a **** ton of typos.

Some people have put rubber feet on it. I have it raised with larger screws, but still have the problem. Used some rubber hollow feet I had from some equipment and put them on, it has reduced a lot the moving... but still far from solid.

What type of wrist rest did you add? are those the Kinesis wrist pads?

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3260 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 20:48:38 »

Some people have put rubber feet on it. I have it raised with larger screws, but still have the problem. Used some rubber hollow feet I had from some equipment and put them on, it has reduced a lot the moving... but still far from solid.

i got the pads here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00897D3OQ/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these things are awesome. they stick to my aluminum case really well but have no glue inside them.  they are comfortable too.

well with what i am reading online about the dox sliding around so much i think i will modify some kensis accessory thing i have for tenting and hope that helps with the sliding issue. 

what size screws come with the massdrop kit?  what the hell is M3?

Offline heissler

• I engineer invisible stuff
« Reply #3261 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 01:43:07 »

i got the pads here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00897D3OQ/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these things are awesome. they stick to my aluminum case really well but have no glue inside them.  they are comfortable too.

well with what i am reading online about the dox sliding around so much i think i will modify some kensis accessory thing i have for tenting and hope that helps with the sliding issue. 

It's either a damn fine car, or a metric screw size.
Has trouble not spending money on keyboards

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3262 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 01:45:27 »

i got the pads here:

The M3 is the type of screw. With that you know what screw to buy. If you have the Kinesis accessory, go ahead and use it with velcro. I do not have one, but looks like perfect for it.

Thanks for the URL for the palm rests.

Offline rebus

« Reply #3263 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 09:38:52 »
I am really tempted to buy one (when it will be available again), but I have no skills in electronics and soldering. Is the assembly affordable without particular skills?

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3264 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 14:52:54 »
I am really tempted to buy one (when it will be available again), but I have no skills in electronics and soldering. Is the assembly affordable without particular skills?

yea it isnt hard but you need to be patient.  putting one of these together takes some time.

as far as gear it can be expensive or not.  it is up to you how good your iron will be.  also you will need a small soldering tip so make sure your iron can support different tips.

i ran into a few issues when i was building mine but goddamn am i happy with my efforts.  people are jelly in the office today.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #3265 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 19:48:42 »
yea it isnt hard but you need to be patient.  putting one of these together takes some time.

as far as gear it can be expensive or not.  it is up to you how good your iron will be.  also you will need a small soldering tip so make sure your iron can support different tips.

i ran into a few issues when i was building mine but goddamn am i happy with my efforts.  people are jelly in the office today.

Your office must be different to mine, I haven't taken my 'dox there but my office mates would just be confused...

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3266 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 23:08:55 »
people are jelly in the office today.

They must be a bunch of nerds. I doubt it will score any points on anyone working in a model agency.

Also, Didn't your mom teach you not to take your toys to school? You may scratch it!

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3267 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 00:18:22 »
i am thinking about super gluing down the costar stabs on the thumb cluster.  good or bad idea?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3268 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 04:51:29 »
i am thinking about super gluing down the costar stabs on the thumb cluster.  good or bad idea?
The fumes from superglue makes acrylic plastic foggy. If you don't care about that, then go ahead.

Offline justnits

« Reply #3269 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 05:18:08 »

i wasn't a fan of soldering or DIY before i got into this mkb hobby.
few months after getting my first mkb, i got myself a cheap but usable soldering station to remove some faulty switch on my keyboard.
then i planned to assemble a custom keyboard myself although my experience is only up to desoldering switches (and watching keyboard assembly video by whitefiredragon on youtube)

the pass few weeks, my new experience is making my own custom sleeved usb cable.

yesterday my ergodox kit arrived, the moment i got home after work, eat dinner, and then my table is filled with all the tools that i have prepared prior to assemble ergodox and sprit's custom keyboard.

i started at about 830pm. complete full assembly and troubleshooting at almost 3am. BUT i had a head start with stripping the mini-usb for teensy and stickers on my switch as i did those shortly after the massdrop GB ended in january. the miniusb stripping will take quite a lot of patience n time if you don't have the right tool (i did it with just a blunt wire cutter and a pair of scissors...SO HORRIBLE)

my ergodox's soldering is very messy...i want to sandpaper my bottom acrylic case just to cover up my embarrassing soldering, or at least put something underneath to cover up.

on a side note, my costar stabs seems to get stuck with the 2u keycaps and thus causing the whole stab to come off together...is this a problem with DSA profile only? without the stabs it's so wobbly...

| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline rebus

« Reply #3270 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 06:22:16 »

i wasn't a fan of soldering or DIY before i got into this mkb hobby.
few months after getting my first mkb, i got myself a cheap but usable soldering station to remove some faulty switch on my keyboard.
then i planned to assemble a custom keyboard myself although my experience is only up to desoldering switches (and watching keyboard assembly video by whitefiredragon on youtube)

the pass few weeks, my new experience is making my own custom sleeved usb cable.

yesterday my ergodox kit arrived, the moment i got home after work, eat dinner, and then my table is filled with all the tools that i have prepared prior to assemble ergodox and sprit's custom keyboard.

i started at about 830pm. complete full assembly and troubleshooting at almost 3am. BUT i had a head start with stripping the mini-usb for teensy and stickers on my switch as i did those shortly after the massdrop GB ended in january. the miniusb stripping will take quite a lot of patience n time if you don't have the right tool (i did it with just a blunt wire cutter and a pair of scissors...SO HORRIBLE)

my ergodox's soldering is very messy...i want to sandpaper my bottom acrylic case just to cover up my embarrassing soldering, or at least put something underneath to cover up.

on a side note, my costar stabs seems to get stuck with the 2u keycaps and thus causing the whole stab to come off together...is this a problem with DSA profile only? without the stabs it's so wobbly...

Aww that's not much encouraging! I hope they will offer assembly option again

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3271 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 10:09:15 »
honestly one of the best things about the ergodox besides its amazing ergonomics is that we have to build it.  when you build something like this you own it more than any store bought product.  we know the ends and outs of these bad boys.  if something goes wrong i can fix it.  that is really ****ing cool.

i have a lot of pride in my dox and learning to type on it is really fun. 

Offline spspencer

« Reply #3272 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 16:34:15 »
honestly one of the best things about the ergodox besides its amazing ergonomics is that we have to build it.  when you build something like this you own it more than any store bought product.  we know the ends and outs of these bad boys.  if something goes wrong i can fix it.  that is really ****ing cool.

Absolutely! :p

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #3273 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 21:09:26 »
Is there a schematic or something for the traces?  I have one switch that does not seem to work and we have tried almost everything to get it working.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #3274 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 23:29:10 »

As I posted when I completed my first ErgoDox, "Now I know how Luke must have felt when he fired up that green saber for the first time." :D

As for the sliding around, I notice what appears to be a giant mousepad alongside it in your last pic; get another one like that to put under your ErgoDox, or a pair of standard-sized mousepads to put under each half. ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 April 2014, 23:58:25 by SubGothius »
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #3275 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 23:46:20 »
For those wanting labeled PBT keycaps in DSA profile suitable for rearranging into alternate/custom layouts, just thought I'd point out the Granite PBT DSA group buy on Signature Plastics' PimpMyKeyboard site, which comes as a base set of alphanum+symbol 1x caps (currently $37) with add-on sets of labeled/blank ErgoDox 1.5x/2x caps also available (currently $33 labeled set / $15 blank half-set), and a Pro Modifiers set including 1x and 1.5x modkey caps (currently $29.25 text labels / $45 icon labels).
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 April 2014, 23:57:47 by SubGothius »
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #3276 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 08:23:05 »
Is there a schematic or something for the traces?  I have one switch that does not seem to work and we have tried almost everything to get it working.

Based on my earlier inquiry, I am having a problem with my Ergodox and I cannot seem to fix it.  The "V" key just does not seem to work no matter what I do.  I have changed out the switch and double checked my layout, but nothing seems to get it working.  The only thing left to do that I can think of is put in a new diode or check if something is wrong with the traces.

I am not the best at electronics troubleshooting, so any advice would help.

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #3277 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 10:40:52 »
That one diode is reversed - That's my bet.

Offline madereth

• My Blog
« Reply #3278 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 11:00:29 »
I've designed an ErgoDox tent that you can 3d print yourself and posted all the files here:

https://github.com/adereth/ergodox-tent

Feedback welcome!
Kinesis Advantage LF - Kinesis Advantage with Cherry MX Blues - ErgoDox with Cherry MX Blacks - Cherry MX 8100

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #3279 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 11:02:36 »

Thanks.  I will give that a try.  Do you think it's possible to have a bad diode in general?

I wonder if it might have something to do with the switch, because I had to open the switch to put in a new spring.  Maybe I screwed something up with the internal contacts, but the other 75 switches are working fine, not to mention the hundreds of others switches that I have modified.

Offline justnits

« Reply #3280 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 11:30:10 »

Thanks.  I will give that a try.  Do you think it's possible to have a bad diode in general?

I wonder if it might have something to do with the switch, because I had to open the switch to put in a new spring.  Maybe I screwed something up with the internal contacts, but the other 75 switches are working fine, not to mention the hundreds of others switches that I have modified.

i believe its got nothing to do with switch mod...but more on ur diodes on V switch area.

on another note...i can't seem to get my led to work...
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3281 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 13:46:23 »
You know what's super irritating? Intermittent problems.

Sometimes my ergo works great, sometimes it don't.  The scenario plays out like this:

I'll use ergodox most of a day, go to bed, wake up and ergodox won't respond to anything at all.  Other keyboards in the same USB port will, using ergo in different port won't.  A day or three later when I go to do diagnostics, I plug it in and everything works again for a couple days.  Sometimes, I can plug in the right hand and it works, then the entire thing turns off when I plug left hand in.

I have a spare teensy here as well as two trrs plugs and the left hand I/O chip as well to try swapping things around, but I dunno if I'm going to keep it at this point as I prefer my topre switch feels.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3282 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 13:58:24 »

Sometimes my ergo works great, sometimes it don't.  The scenario plays out like this:

I'll use ergodox most of a day, go to bed, wake up and ergodox won't respond to anything at all.  Other keyboards in the same USB port will, using ergo in different port won't.  A day or three later when I go to do diagnostics, I plug it in and everything works again for a couple days.  Sometimes, I can plug in the right hand and it works, then the entire thing turns off when I plug left hand in.

I have a spare teensy here as well as two trrs plugs and the left hand I/O chip as well to try swapping things around, but I dunno if I'm going to keep it at this point as I prefer my topre switch feels.

Is it possible you have a loose connection or a cold solder joint on your usb or controller connection? That is what I would check first on intermittent problems like this. I had a similar problem with a usb hub I was using. I took it apart and resoldered it all and that fixed my issues. 

Offline squarefrog

• \m/_
    • Ergodox Layout Stats
« Reply #3283 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 15:00:12 »
I've designed an ErgoDox tent that you can 3d print yourself and posted all the files here:

https://github.com/adereth/ergodox-tent

Feedback welcome!

Looks great!! I finished building my dox about 20 minutes ago, and a 3d printed tent was going to be my weekend job. Thanks for open sourcing :thumb:

Offline sordna

« Reply #3284 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 15:10:41 »

If you suspect a bad switch you can always short the relevant points in the PCB with a wire to see if a keypress is registered. No need to remove or desolder anything to do this.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3285 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 15:22:50 »

i always connect the trrs cable before connecting the usb port. always.  do that from now on and you will most likely not see this behavior. 

Offline madereth

• My Blog
« Reply #3286 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 15:34:14 »
Looks great!! I finished building my dox about 20 minutes ago, and a 3d printed tent was going to be my weekend job. Thanks for open sourcing :thumb:
Sweet.  Please let me know how it works out for you!
Kinesis Advantage LF - Kinesis Advantage with Cherry MX Blues - ErgoDox with Cherry MX Blacks - Cherry MX 8100

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #3287 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 15:48:51 »

i always connect the trrs cable before connecting the usb port. always.  do that from now on and you will most likely not see this behavior.

Yes, I think the TRRS cable is not hot-pluggable, or at least not reliably so, as the plug shorts some circuits on the way in/out that would never be shorted in normal operation; always plug/unplug the TRRS jacks with the USB disconnected.

BTW, which MX switch type did you get? I got the tactile/non-clicky Clears and love them so far. The ErgoDox plate design does allow changing switch plungers without desoldering switches. You could get a batch of some other-type MX switches, swap the plungers, then resell the surplus switches with your old plungers if you like the new ones better.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 April 2014, 15:52:01 by SubGothius »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3288 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 16:33:22 »

Is it possible you have a loose connection or a cold solder joint on your usb or controller connection? That is what I would check first on intermittent problems like this. I had a similar problem with a usb hub I was using. I took it apart and resoldered it all and that fixed my issues.

Reflowed all connections first time this happened.

Yes, I think the TRRS cable is not hot-pluggable, or at least not reliably so, as the plug shorts some circuits on the way in/out that would never be shorted in normal operation; always plug/unplug the TRRS jacks with the USB disconnected.

BTW, which MX switch type did you get? I got the tactile/non-clicky Clears and love them so far. The ErgoDox plate design does allow changing switch plungers without desoldering switches. You could get a batch of some other-type MX switches, swap the plungers, then resell the surplus switches with your old plungers if you like the new ones better.

Except for the fact that this happens while it's all plugged in and sitting.  As in, it works before I go to sleep, I leave everything plugged in and alone, I wake up and issue has arose with me.  So no, I think the order I plug the cables in isn't what's causing this.

I have blues.  Blues are wonderful and magic and almost as good as topre.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3289 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 16:56:11 »

Except for the fact that this happens while it's all plugged in and sitting.  As in, it works before I go to sleep, I leave everything plugged in and alone, I wake up and issue has arose with me.  So no, I think the order I plug the cables in isn't what's causing this.

TJ on some other ergodox thread people were reporting the same issues as you. TP4Tissue had the same thing over time if my memory serves me right and he ACTUALLY OFFERED GOOD ADVICE.  to eliminate this issue he bypassed the trrs connector port altogether and soldered the trrs cable directly to the pcb.  he had to get some female to female connector to connect the two halves together after this but he said it worked.

i also remember many people saying that by far the biggest weakness in the ergodox design was the use of trrs. 

maybe it is your trrs cable?  i just had to replace a faulty cable in the data center at work. not that that has anything to do with what we are talking about other than anecdotal evidence that cables go bad sometimes.  luckily you make cables all the time so try that before doing anything else drastic.

i am using stock clears on my ergodox.  i bought a kit of 62g springs and lube to make ergoclears but frankly i dont see a need to.  stock clears are not nearly as heavy as i was led to believe.  these things are just plain nice.  especially with SA caps.  maybe i will mod them later (once i find a ****ing switch top opener tool).
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 April 2014, 16:59:01 by tricheboars »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3290 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 18:07:52 »

TJ on some other ergodox thread people were reporting the same issues as you. TP4Tissue had the same thing over time if my memory serves me right and he ACTUALLY OFFERED GOOD ADVICE.  to eliminate this issue he bypassed the trrs connector port altogether and soldered the trrs cable directly to the pcb.  he had to get some female to female connector to connect the two halves together after this but he said it worked.

i also remember many people saying that by far the biggest weakness in the ergodox design was the use of trrs. 

maybe it is your trrs cable?  i just had to replace a faulty cable in the data center at work. not that that has anything to do with what we are talking about other than anecdotal evidence that cables go bad sometimes.  luckily you make cables all the time so try that before doing anything else drastic.

i am using stock clears on my ergodox.  i bought a kit of 62g springs and lube to make ergoclears but frankly i dont see a need to.  stock clears are not nearly as heavy as i was led to believe.  these things are just plain nice.  especially with SA caps.  maybe i will mod them later (once i find a ****ing switch top opener tool).

I do remember this, actually, and it's been kinda in my head this whole time.  I ordered a couple trrs ports to replace the ones I have and if I still have issues, I'll either engineer a way to use USB connectors instead or hard wire the pieces together.  What you said earlier about order of operations makes sense when I tried making a trrs cable earlier as I was just trying to swap cables and kept getting turn off errors, so thanks for that, too. 

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3291 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 20:21:06 »
The TRRS problems are annoying me.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3292 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 20:36:30 »
my next ergodox (which is inevitable at this point) will have an RJ-11 port instead of TRRS.  I just have to figure out how to get it to fit in the case.

Offline Larken

« Reply #3293 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 23:49:46 »
The ergodox cutting out for no reason is most likely due to the trrs ports/cable. Personally I never had an issue with the trrs ports with either since I don't move the keyboard around much at all, thus less chance of catching the connector on anything and straining it.

I did have both stock cables from both of my kits die within the first two months of owning my ergodox. Again, never tugged at them, moved them or anything like that; they just conked out on me, on an ergodox that had pretty much been stationary the whole time. I'd go to sleep with it working and wake up and have it not work suddenly too. I stripped the insulation later to find one of the wires had broken inside (on both cables to boot), which leads me to conclude that the provided cables were just crappy ones. Made my own and never had an issue with my ergodox in the last 9 months or so.

If I did want to get rid of the trrs connectors, I'd probably hardwire 4 pin mini xlrs (male-to-female) to each of the halves instead. Less of a hassle compared to trying to get a different type of port to fit into the case.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3294 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 12:16:50 »
The ergodox cutting out for no reason is most likely due to the trrs ports/cable. Personally I never had an issue with the trrs ports with either since I don't move the keyboard around much at all, thus less chance of catching the connector on anything and straining it.

I did have both stock cables from both of my kits die within the first two months of owning my ergodox. Again, never tugged at them, moved them or anything like that; they just conked out on me, on an ergodox that had pretty much been stationary the whole time. I'd go to sleep with it working and wake up and have it not work suddenly too. I stripped the insulation later to find one of the wires had broken inside (on both cables to boot), which leads me to conclude that the provided cables were just crappy ones. Made my own and never had an issue with my ergodox in the last 9 months or so.

If I did want to get rid of the trrs connectors, I'd probably hardwire 4 pin mini xlrs (male-to-female) to each of the halves instead. Less of a hassle compared to trying to get a different type of port to fit into the case.

Ffff that trrs connector... i got 2 dox-es and both had issues with the connector port breaking down over time...  and i couldn't have unplugged it more than 30 times each over the entire use history..

I removed the trrs connector and soldered a few copper pins into the holes... wrapped the wire around the pins, solder, then liquid eletrical tape.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3295 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 01:07:57 »
liquid electrical tape.... good ****ing call.  that should strengthen the wires going into the pins\joints.  nice.  i might have to do this someday.  i unplug my dox everyday since i take it to and from work and then back home.  i am going to buy another. one just for work on the next massdrop buy to alleviate this problem but it worries me that so many people are having trouble with the trrs.  i will go the tp4tissue route when and if problems arise. 

are we sure this issue isnt the trrs cable?

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #3296 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 02:11:35 »
I think most TRRS cables you can find are not very strong, some are better than others, but not much

I have a custom made cable which works fine, seldom causing problems

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3297 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 10:54:55 »
I think most TRRS cables you can find are not very strong, some are better than others, but not much

I have a custom made cable which works fine, seldom causing problems

It's not the cable..  it's the connector port.. poor quality part..

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3298 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 10:40:51 »
well i take my dox to and from work everyday.  so.... i am sure i will be writing on this thread compaining about my trrs port issues eventually. 

guess this is an excuse to purchase another one. woo!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3299 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 12:34:48 »
i've said this in other threads but f the

for some reason my first ergodox, which is currently my primary, was spared from any trrs problems oddly, but my other 2 both suffered from TRRS Issues, and i got tired of trying new connectors only to have them go out again so i got out my hook up wire http://www.amazon.com/Electronix-Express-Hook-Wire-Solid/dp/B00B4ZRPEY, just hooked into the TRRS holes and soldered, it aint going nowhere, did some cheap sleeving on the hook up wire, which is very stiff and stays in whatever shape you put it in., never had an issue after that.

Untitled by almightyglod, on Flickr

of course doing this means you cant remove it but you could potentially use a molex connector of some sort if you needed quick disconnect.