Author Topic: Is your Adblocker still working?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Is your Adblocker still working?
« on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 01:02:00 »
Recently mine have stopped working almost systematically. I had 4 installed and each one stopped working completely with Chrome over the past couple weeks. I tried adding various other ones and none of them work properly with Chrome. Specifically blocking YouTube ads is unfunctional, either doing nothing and allowing ads to run normally or blocking the video and just playing the sound. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this recently or it's something on my end that needs doing.

Offline lakeboredom

Re: Is your Adblocker still working?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 01:07:43 »
Might be time to switch away from that spyware and dl firefox. Ublock Origin is the one you want.

Online yui

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 01:14:38 »
well google owns both chrome and youtube so that makes some sense that  they would protect their own ads, then you can switch to firefox/chromium both not being owned by google should have less issues, but even on firefox sometimes youtube overloads the adblockers with 1000+ ads blocked, when youtube detects that an ad was block it seems to try to load an other one until it get trough. and some adblockers now get paid by ad agencies to let their ads trough.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 01:18:05 »
4?
They can fight each other and wreck hell with your download speeds.

I'm with Lakeboredom
Firefox with Ublock Orgin (and Privacy Badger), get rid of the spyware.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | HMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)

Online yui

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 01:43:46 »
for the spywares and really next level ad blocking you can use noscript also, i use it on slower computers so i can disable all the beauty scripts and only load the functional stuff, really powerful tool but it does have a huge tendency to break every single page you go on.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 01:57:02 »
I use a modified hosts file. Download hostsman and throw in a couple hosts files. They're universal and work everywhere, and can't be borked. They're harder to update, but so far that hasn't been an issue.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 02:01:36 »
Didnt chrome get that update that was gona break addblockers? idk if that ever became a thing but i remember reading about it. dont use chrome tho, ff for life

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 02:36:32 »
Didnt chrome get that update that was gona break addblockers? idk if that ever became a thing but i remember reading about it. dont use chrome tho, ff for life
They forced a minor change in adblocking after blowback over it.

Google claimed it was a misunderstanding, I'm not so sure. Either way, they found a compromise on it.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | HMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline jamster

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 10:53:13 »
I use a modified hosts file. Download hostsman and throw in a couple hosts files. They're universal and work everywhere, and can't be borked. They're harder to update, but so far that hasn't been an issue.

If you're going to take the hostfile approach, you could just install Pi-hole on a raspberry pi, or run DNS blacklisting at the router and shield the entire network rather than do it on a per machine basis.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 18:09:48 »
youtube adblokn' stopped working right.

Yeah looks like a browser switch is needed. Sigh. I love moving bookmarks and losing all my saved browser data. You'd think in 2020 something like that would be easier than transferring to a new phone, but I assume Google holds your data hostage to prevent people from switching browsers.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 18:37:55 »
Try noscript, it blocks all addons and you have to go in a enable each one by one. Very disruptive in the beginning but once you get used to it, it's the best.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 23:34:13 »
Try noscript, it blocks all addons and you have to go in a enable each one by one. Very disruptive in the beginning but once you get used to it, it's the best.
ublock has it built in.

Offline sharktastica

• One IBMer boi
    • Shark's IBM Stuff
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 08:37:54 »
I concur with the suggestion to try Firefox and uBlock Origin (or set up a Pi-hole if you've got an RPi to spare). It's been working great for me for years now, and along with other security-focused add-ons like Privacy Badger and HTTPS Everywhere, I make them a must for all the machines I use.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 June 2020, 08:40:06 by sharktastica »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 11:12:08 »
I concur with the suggestion to try Firefox and uBlock Origin (or set up a Pi-hole if you've got an RPi to spare). It's been working great for me for years now, and along with other security-focused add-ons like Privacy Badger and HTTPS Everywhere, I make them a must for all the machines I use.

I'm just going to add an additional vote for this exact configuration. I use all 3 together, just in case some ads manage to slip past Pi-hole. The best part of Pi-hole is that it blocks ads before they even make it client-side, so you'll be pretty surprised to see how much better/smoother/faster your browser begins to function with most of that garbage completely removed from the equation from the start.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 03:41:08 »

... until you tried uMatrix which is a better NoScript - made by the same guy who also wrote the original uBlock. :)
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122               IBM Model F XT
(review)

Online yui

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 04:35:48 »
what i saw is that on my windows PC with noscript and adblock on firefox youtube manages to sometimes run ads, on my debian machine with the same browser setup it does not even manage to start loading the skip ad button and i never get ads, and i use the debian machine much more when it comes to youtube watching so maybe the issue comes from a windows update that made some pc slower. still mostly get no ads but the windows setup sometimes blocks 400 or more ads before the video starts playing while it never goes above 50 on the debian machine. i do not know what to make of that data, apart from the obvious debian is better for making a web browsing pc than windows.