Author Topic: I love my Win10 installation  (Read 1373 times)

Offline yuanyasmine

I love my Win10 installation
« on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 03:23:14 »
I love my Win10 installation, no problems and its faster and more secure.

Online yui

Re: I love my Win10 installation
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 04:37:08 »
are you working for microsoft? or never used anything else? nowadays yeah it is kinda more secure than 7 but it still is not secure in the slightest and it is so much slower than 7 that it itself much slower than alternatives. to be fair i do not use aero on 7 but i can't disable metro on 10 nor can i disable cortana or the telemetry using up to 50% of the cpu on some machines. sure on a threadripper or epyc it will be faster as 7 can't use all the cores but otherwise i do not expect it to be ever actually faster, faster feeling maybe as it never shuts down the pc fully to make you believe it starts up fast and it caches in ram more aggressively.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline jamster

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 07:27:26 »

It sure is great, if you don't want any real control over your computer at all (forced updates which can break things, telemetry which can't be switched off totally, 'features' like Edge which push themselves down without authorisation).

Don't even get me started on what a pile of poorly documented garbage things like ReFS and Storage Pools are. I can't believe they are supposed to be business level products.

And I say this as someone who spent the first part of his career running enterprise Windows environments.

All this crap that Microsoft is doing with their subscription approach now means that I have a load of Linux instances running at home.

Edit: it's definitely more stable and convenient for the typical end user experience though.  You don't have to reboot it multiple times a week.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 June 2020, 08:08:40 by jamster »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 08:18:09 »
Leslieann

> I love my Win10       
   installation

> I prefer using W8.1   

Offline ddrfraser1

• IWHBYD
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 08:22:41 »
Imo, XP was the best version. There are a few things windows 10 does well here and there but the UI is worse. They keep getting rig of useful features so that I have to hack my own computer to make it be able to do what it could in 1995.

Online yui

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 08:25:43 »
Edit: it's definitely more stable and convenient for the typical end user experience though.  You don't have to reboot it multiple times a week.
you have to reboot your linux? i have not done so since i changed the ram in the machine, windows ends up self rebooting but not my linux machines. although i use Debian for most machines, but even the opensuse one is running without proper reboot for a while. i had to move it so it was shut down but it was the 1st time since building it so 4 months.
and like you i have to work with windows and the bugs in it and office that are known since the dawn of time are numerous. i do not understand why companies are willing to pay that much money for a software that does not actually really work.

Imo, XP was the best version. There are a few things windows 10 does well here and there but the UI is worse. They keep getting rig of useful features so that I have to hack my own computer to make it be able to do what it could in 1995.
i liked 2000 better, found that everything was easier to get to, but then i was 5 so maybe not that great :) and i crashed it quite a lot.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 08:58:51 »

XP was the best version.

I am inclined to agree. After a few service fixes 98 was great, and I was also very happy in 7 for many years.
“At the age of 35, after 6 years as a renunciant, he sat under a tree in Bodhgaya in North India and vowed not to get up until he had found the secret of our everlasting wandering from rebirth to rebirth. Sensing trouble, Mara, the demon of sense pleasures, sent a series of distractions his way, but the Buddha-to-be would not be stirred by such trivialities.
After 49 days, awakening came upon him. In one of the great moments in world history, he saw that all things are impermanent and ever changing. He saw how we suffer because we wish the world were otherwise. And through these insights he saw his suffering itself wander away. From that point forward he was the Buddha, which, like the term “Christ” is a title rather than a proper name.
For the next 45 years, the Buddha wandered the Indian subcontinent, turning the wheel of dharma and gathering monks and nuns into a crew of wandering beggars. Together they bore witness to what has been described as “History’s Most Dangerous Idea” – that  human beings can solve human problems on our own, without recourse to God or divine revelation.”
– Stephen Porthero 2010

Offline jamster

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 09:08:01 »
you have to reboot your linux? i have not done so since i changed the ram in the machine, windows ends up self rebooting but not my linux machines. although i use Debian for most machines, but even the opensuse one is running without proper reboot for a while. i had to move it so it was shut down but it was the 1st time since building it so 4 months.
and like you i have to work with windows and the bugs in it and office that are known since the dawn of time are numerous. i do not understand why companies are willing to pay that much money for a software that does not actually really work.

i liked 2000 better, found that everything was easier to get to, but then i was 5 so maybe not that great :) and i crashed it quite a lot.

You had to reboot older versions of windows on a fairly regular basis.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 05:52:20 »
Leslieann
You have this backwards (I don't hate win8, it's just dead and Win7 is on the way), at any rate, there's a whole huge thread with my thoughts on Win10, this one is too easy.

you have to reboot your linux? i have not done so since i changed the ram in the machine
You should in order to properly update the kernel.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | HMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)

Online yui

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 06:35:56 »
well i know it is bad but you can reload the kernel without rebooting, when running a server board it is much faster :) (to be clear i am talking about my personal rig, i would not do that on a real server)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • The sun god and destroyer of worlds
    • My promotion link
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 10:02:49 »
I found the installation really painful. All the popups .... constantly clicking no...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 12:54:07 »
I found the installation really painful. All the popups .... constantly clicking no...

Kekeke.. it's alot easier than the XP days.   Then try installing Dos on old systems, drivers by commandline.   And you gotta phone in to that ONE guy on the usenet who got it working on that specific hardware,  and it turns out he's some sort of hardened criminal and now you fear for your life because you guys agreed to meet afk to talk about soundblaster.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 13:12:07 »

Kekeke.. it's alot easier than the XP days.   Then try installing Dos on old systems, drivers by commandline.   And you gotta phone in to that ONE guy on the usenet who got it working on that specific hardware,  and it turns out he's some sort of hardened criminal and now you fear for your life because you guys agreed to meet afk to talk about soundblaster.

Man I'm really glad that I was to young to do computer stuff at home before Windows 3.0. All the DOS was in easy mode by that time.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • The sun god and destroyer of worlds
    • My promotion link
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 15:54:16 »

Man I'm really glad that I was to young to do computer stuff at home before Windows 3.0. All the DOS was in easy mode by that time.
I mean, getting all of your info from the internet has a cost

Offline LASERman

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 17:43:27 »
Nice troll attempt  ;D Especially this statement: "more secure" :cool:
I want to know the assessment proces that leads to this conclusion.  :))