Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555199 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #10900 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 12:15:40 »
quick question about lubing springs - im planning on using victorinox multi tool oil for 62g springs - so should I apply just a little bit to each end of the spring, or is it okay to put them all in a plastic bag + oil - and shake (I think someone wrote in a thread that they used this method as a shortcut?) and if so, what would be a good/okay amount?

Yup, you can throw everything into a baggie and it will work. Just use your best judgement. When they look coated just enough....like sauce and pasta :).

Offline kohi

« Reply #10901 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 12:33:46 »
Yup, you can throw everything into a baggie and it will work. Just use your best judgement. When they look coated just enough....like sauce and pasta :).

ah okay, thank you. also, would lubing the springs get rid of some of the switch ping/resonating sounds? cause the stock clears on my board as of now have a consistent high pitched ping on every switch :confused:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10902 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 12:39:37 »
would lubing the springs get rid of some of the switch ping/resonating sounds? cause the stock clears on my board as of now have a consistent high pitched ping on every switch :confused:

You could try it. I suggest putting drawer liner or foam between the PCB and case bottom. And also putting something underneath your board like a mousepad.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #10903 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 06:20:16 »
A quick question regarding keycap profiles: deskthority says for DSA "The keycaps are 0.291" (7.39 mm), the same height as the home row of the OEM profile.", as well as SPs website. However WASD says their caps are OEM but the homerows height is 930mm/800mm. So which is correct? I guess the height numbers are correct, but I was wondering since I wouldn't consider this the same height.

OEM profile is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion. I interpret it as the tall height profile of stock Ducky/CM/Vortex/WASD caps. But I've had OEM caps from Leopold on my 700R that were not OEM or DSA height. Also remember that OEM caps are sculpted.

But that aside, it looks like DSA isn't exactly the same as the OEM home row height

From my own measurements (from base to top face keycap lip) :
DSA = .304"
Ducky OEM = .283" / .330"

Show Image

Sorry for the potato. DSA on the left and OEM on the right.

Does Ducky OEM keycaps have crossbars inside ?

Offline Moralless

« Reply #10904 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 06:30:07 »
A quick question regarding keycap profiles: deskthority says for DSA "The keycaps are 0.291" (7.39 mm), the same height as the home row of the OEM profile.", as well as SPs website. However WASD says their caps are OEM but the homerows height is 930mm/800mm. So which is correct? I guess the height numbers are correct, but I was wondering since I wouldn't consider this the same height.

OEM profile is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion. I interpret it as the tall height profile of stock Ducky/CM/Vortex/WASD caps. But I've had OEM caps from Leopold on my 700R that were not OEM or DSA height. Also remember that OEM caps are sculpted.

But that aside, it looks like DSA isn't exactly the same as the OEM home row height

DSA = .304"

Show Image

Does Ducky OEM keycaps have crossbars inside ?

I believe so:

Offline mozaiq

« Reply #10905 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:21:42 »

DSA = .304"

Show Image

Thanks for the clarification.

To throw in another question: I'm somewhat tempted to buy a KBT Race 2. Besides the different switches, I only found two versions of this board. Black with white backlighting and white with green backlighting. Is there any other version of this board currently available, especially one without LEDs? I know I can turn them off, but it's additional stuff to desolder if I wanted to.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10906 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:27:00 »
To throw in another question: I'm somewhat tempted to buy a KBT Race 2. Is there any other version of this board currently available, especially one without LEDs?

There should be a lighting mode in every backlit keyboard that keeps the lighting off. Other than that, I'm not sure if there is a non-backlit version. I don't think so. If you get it now, there are still a people who are offering free or cheap modding services that you can take advantage of. drhubblephd and Hoff come to mind, but you also have dorkvader, tjcaustin, and LastPilot. There's another fellow who does modding as well but I can't remember his username at the moment :(.

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #10907 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 21:46:40 »
What's the best way to remove switches from a plate? My fingers are in so much pain :S
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10908 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 21:52:09 »
What's the best way to remove switches from a plate? My fingers are in so much pain :S

That depends on whether you mind marking them. Fingers are the most gentle, but needlenose pliers work well if you aren't concerned with some gouges here and there.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10909 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 21:58:32 »

That depends on whether you mind marking them. Fingers are the most gentle, but needlenose pliers work well if you aren't concerned with some gouges here and there.

I use precision flat head screwdrivers.  I have found the don't scratch annodized finish but they can scratch thin paint
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10910 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 22:11:53 »

I tried precision flat head screwdrivers at first.  They worked but marked up my plate a little bit. 

Then someone told me to try a IC Extractor like this --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTIC-IC-EXTRACTION-TOOL-CHIP-EXTRACTOR-/120726399420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1bdaa9bc

The Extractor worked much better for me.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #10911 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 23:48:37 »

I tried precision flat head screwdrivers at first.  They worked but marked up my plate a little bit. 

Then someone told me to try a IC Extractor like this --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTIC-IC-EXTRACTION-TOOL-CHIP-EXTRACTOR-/120726399420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1bdaa9bc

Awesome just the type of thing I was looking for  :thumb: ordered and thanks!
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10912 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 03:25:20 »
I use a nylon stick. Lift up once side and insert left thumbnail to keep it from clicking in. Then I pop the other side.

Easy, fast, and won't scratch up the expensive plate you're working on.

I use ones like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280877670711

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10913 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 03:43:57 »
what size 40% kibord?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #10914 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 04:52:00 »

Awesome just the type of thing I was looking for  :thumb: ordered and thanks!

GON is explaining pretty well how to use that IC extractor and modify it to perform better :

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10915 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 15:50:36 »
I use a nylon stick. Lift up once side and insert left thumbnail to keep it from clicking in. Then I pop the other side.

Easy, fast, and won't scratch up the expensive plate you're working on.

I use ones like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280877670711

I'm going to try this.  Great suggestion  :)

Even though the IC Extractor worked better for me then precision flat heads.  They still cause little scratches if I'm not careful.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #10916 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 17:49:32 »
Does anyone know what numberpads have NKRO?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10917 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 18:12:47 »
Has anyone sucessfully gotten an F to function over USB that had an 8 channel capsense chip and not swapping the internals?  Soarers only works with the 4 channel versions.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10918 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 19:32:16 »
Has anyone sucessfully gotten an F to function over USB that had an 8 channel capsense chip and not swapping the internals?  Soarers only works with the 4 channel versions.

Simple questions man. Simple. I'm sure you'll get much better replies in your thread.

Does anyone know what numberpads have NKRO?

I don't know off the top of my head but I don't see why they wouldn't be.... Actually the GHPad should be.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 December 2014, 19:34:07 by CPTBadAss »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10919 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 19:37:11 »
FYI: I've had a couple people ask me about issues with avatar images successfully having a transparent background (like mine).

Make sure you follow the usual rules/methods to make transparent images, and most importantly, scale the image down to 100x100 pixels.  It should almost certainly solve any issues you might be having.   :thumb:

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #10920 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 09:06:29 »
I'm harvesting few keyboards ,
on this one : http://imgur.com/a/VAmfH , only the keycaps are worth right ?

http://imgur.com/a/pCowk , something worth keeping besides switches , stabilizers and keycaps ?

And apple M2980 (rubberdome with alps sliders ) , something interesting to keep here ?

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #10921 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 09:47:48 »
On the 3006, the case is worth a little. Maybe 5-10EUR if in good condition. The PCB/switches are worth nothing though.

On the Wyse the PCB/plate/case might be worth something to somebody.. but I'm not sure if you could find a buyer easily.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #10922 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 10:40:29 »
On the 3006, the case is worth a little. Maybe 5-10EUR if in good condition. The PCB/switches are worth nothing though.

On the Wyse the PCB/plate/case might be worth something to somebody.. but I'm not sure if you could find a buyer easily.
Ok thanks .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10923 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 09:17:18 »

And apple M2980 (rubberdome with alps sliders ) , something interesting to keep here ?

I do not know about later Apple model numbers, but if it is an early "Design Keyboard" (my experience is that the ones with detachable cables have Alps-compatible caps, and the ones with attached cables do not) then it probably has very nice quality PBT caps, albeit with the usual Apple silliness like legend fonts and rotated mounts.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #10924 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 21:25:26 »
[...] then it probably has very nice quality PBT caps, albeit with the usual Apple silliness like legend fonts and rotated mounts.
Nice caps, but non-standard layout so beyond the 1u keys the caps are a bit tough to use in other contexts. There are no rotated mounts on these. The legends are fine; fohat’s taste in typography is just stuck on whatever IBM did in the 80s. :)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10925 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 23:42:35 »
what size 40% kibord?

Smallfry or JD40 is 40%

I have some plates and can measure the length/width if you want.

Offline kohi

« Reply #10926 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 18:16:27 »
does anyone know where I can get cheap/decent flush wire cutters? (primarily to cut LED leads)

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10927 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 23:19:47 »
what size 40% kibord?

Show Image

Smallfry or JD40 is 40%

I have some plates and can measure the length/width if you want.
yup :thumb: i plan make 40% width around:27cm lenght:9cm
not sure if its same with SF/JD 40%
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #10928 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 07:45:41 »
Is there a Model M 122 ISO-to-ANSI mod guide anywhere? Is that even a thing?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #10929 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 08:10:07 »
Is there a Model M 122 ISO-to-ANSI mod guide anywhere? Is that even a thing?

ezrahilyer mentions doing the conversions here but there isn't a guide.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10930 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 09:40:53 »
If you are doing a bolt-mod anyway, you simply do the same thing I showed in my F-122 guide:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48786.msg1338079#msg1338079

http://i.imgur.com/qUD0B.jpg[/img]]

http://i.imgur.com/4xZSv.jpg[/img]]
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #10931 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 16:50:27 »
need a quick solution for a right shift issue with my KBP V60, no matter what dipswitch settings i use i cannot get the right shift to capitalize letters. anyone have a solution? all it does is jump the cursor up a line. Googling does nothing

*they are stuck acting as arrow keys, shift = up fn=down, ctrl = right

Fn+return swaps the arrow keys around finally found my answer
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 December 2014, 16:55:53 by PunksDead »
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10932 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 00:46:40 »
does anyone know where I can get cheap/decent flush wire cutters? (primarily to cut LED leads)

what country are you in?

Good deals on used lindstrom can be had on US ebay all the time. Swanstrom as well. Might have to sharpen them a little.
I have these and they are great: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221289833369

I might have a spare set: will have to check.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 December 2014, 00:49:11 by dorkvader »

Offline Moralless

« Reply #10933 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 09:59:06 »
Can anyone link me a guide that Hipsterpunks did about removing the HHKB logo on his Type - S? I suck at searching for old posts on GH and I'm planning on ordering a HHKB soon and want to get rid of that logo.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10934 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 11:43:27 »
Can anyone link me a guide that Hipsterpunks did about removing the HHKB logo on his Type - S? I suck at searching for old posts on GH and I'm planning on ordering a HHKB soon and want to get rid of that logo.
http://imgur.com/a/NJVI9
He just used an emery board
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline mozaiq

« Reply #10935 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 16:05:23 »
A quick question regarding spring weights, since I found misleading information on the web. Cherry MX Green switches use heavier springs (80cn) than blacks (60cn), right? The problem is that I'm not sure whether the numbers I found refer to just the stiffness of the spring (which is what I want to know) or whether it is the force it takes activate the complete switch, which of course is higher for greens due to the bump. Or to put it in other words: can one feel a difference between ghetto greens and "real" greens?

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #10936 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 20:34:54 »
I'm looking into getting a raspberry pi specifically for retropie for old school games. I have found some tutorials but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience setting this up and how well it would work with composite cables. Thanks!

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #10937 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 20:58:46 »
A quick question regarding spring weights, since I found misleading information on the web. Cherry MX Green switches use heavier springs (80cn) than blacks (60cn), right? The problem is that I'm not sure whether the numbers I found refer to just the stiffness of the spring (which is what I want to know) or whether it is the force it takes activate the complete switch, which of course is higher for greens due to the bump. Or to put it in other words: can one feel a difference between ghetto greens and "real" greens?
About spring of Cherry MX Black & Green is similar. It's 60cN. But actuation force of Green is stronger than Black because Black is linear, Green is clicky (have part tactile).
 About feel Ghetto Green is same with Green, but we can easy to get Ghetto Green & it's is cheaper.

Offline divito

« Reply #10938 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 22:05:01 »
I'm looking into getting a raspberry pi specifically for retropie for old school games. I have found some tutorials but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience setting this up and how well it would work with composite cables. Thanks!

Can't speak to the composite cables, since I hooked it up with HDMI, but setup and documentation online is really good for setting up RetroPi, and it was really easy overall.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10939 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 22:09:57 »
This. What is? (8 pins)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10940 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 01:09:32 »
This. What is? (8 pins)

Show Image

Proprietary Tandy pinout for their systems.  The only way to make it work that I know of is with Haata's Kiibohd project, but I'm not sure where the documentation for that keyboard is.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10941 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 01:11:28 »
This. What is? (8 pins)

Show Image

Proprietary Tandy pinout for their systems.  The only way to make it work that I know of is with Haata's Kiibohd project, but I'm not sure where the documentation for that keyboard is.
Cool, I'll see if I can find that. Want to be able to use this thing, good size and pretty nice switches.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #10942 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 18:02:24 »
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0267/1905/files/spring-rate-chart.jpg?1061

I don't get this picture.  Cherry light must be something like red or browns but they are supposed to be 40-45g actuation force but this picture shows 50g actuation force.  Also clears are supposed to be 55g actuation force but this picture shows them as 65g actuation force.  If I understand correctly the "originative" springs are korean springs which are measured from the bottom.  I'm wondering how 55g koreans compare to reds/browns?  Surely they are a little lighter?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10943 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 20:05:59 »

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0267/1905/files/spring-rate-chart.jpg?1061

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46449.0

Sheraton ripped that from rkinze's article. If you click on the link, there's an in depth explanation for the chart.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10944 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 21:05:35 »
I have a Rosewill RK9000 I got from IvanIvanovich.  I got it with a mini usb -> PS/2 cable.  If I swapped that out with a standard USB cable would there be any issues or does it need an adapter?  Or is the PS/2-> USB adapter just a plug change and nothing with the protocol?

Offline MGH

« Reply #10945 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 04:35:06 »

Offline MGH

« Reply #10946 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 17:27:38 »
Is GON the only place to buy universal 60% plates?

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/17-universal-frameplate-for-60.html

Also how does Acrylic plates compare to metal plates?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10947 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 17:30:34 »
Is GON the only place to buy universal 60% plates?

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/17-universal-frameplate-for-60.html

Also how does Acrylic plates compare to metal plates?

You can get plates through various group buys when they come around.  Feng has done several for anodized aluminum plates.

Acrylic plates are thicker with more flex.  Due to their thickness, they don't fit the switches as well (IMO) and they may rest on the PCB.  I'm not a huge fan of acrylic plates, though I can see why some people like them since they can look nicer with LEDs and they're supposed to be acoustically better for clicky switches.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #10948 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 01:12:27 »
Acrylic plates are thicker with more flex.  Due to their thickness, they don't fit the switches as well (IMO) and they may rest on the PCB.  I'm not a huge fan of acrylic plates, though I can see why some people like them since they can look nicer with LEDs and they're supposed to be acoustically better for clicky switches.
And generally much cheaper than Al/SS plates. The switches down't lock in since the plates aren't 1.5mm (This thickness of acrylic is prone to a lot of flex and snapping easily), but they do stay in place and serve the purpose. Also stabs are complicated, the best situation is to use PCB mounted stabs and have the adequate clearing in the acrylic for them, along with the clearance for the stab wires (Since the plate is thick it interferes with the stab wire).

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10949 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 03:41:48 »
Are the backplate slots in the old IBM computers for example the 5160 the same size and make as current pcie backplates (talking about the metal backplate slot doobie and nothing to do with the actually pcie isa connection to the motherboard).

*I think they may be called brackets sorry for the stupid
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 December 2014, 03:44:56 by fanpeople »