Author Topic: How are you liking your ErgoDox?  (Read 80238 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: How are you liking your ErgoDox?
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:09:37 »
I agree about the 1x thumb buttons. Got the Ergodox to be able to move the modifiers (which I use constantly) and to better use my thumbs without strain. The two 2x keys are fine - I use 'em for enter, space and shifts - but it's hard to use mods on the others. I don't want to move the mods back to the bottom left and right, however, as that strains my thumb and pinky.

Thinking of maybe putting ctrl and alt on the first two inner keys of the bottom row. On the outer 1.5x column is no good, as I don't mind those for stuff like tab and backspace but can't stand them for anything I have to hold.

Has anyone tried putting a higher keycap on the 1x thumbs, for instance an SA row 1 or DCS row 5, so that it's easier to reach over the 2x thumb keys?

Current layout, as I'm learning the board:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=4DQTDG&hash=5ce9978e58b8542158c3060d7d11856f
Haven't yet decided what to do with the inner 1.5s as they're acting a bit funny and I haven't had time to debug them. I've based it on querty so it's less of a problem when I have to use other people's keyboards.

Are you tenting your ergodox ?..

Without tenting the thumb cluster keys are too far away from your thumb.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 15:12:21 »
How about a miniDox?

http://www.riitek.com/en/product-detail-427.html  (Click to Enlarge Photos)

(espicially fot tp4tissue)

Idk what fot is...

But, a smaller ergodox would be fine, as long as it retains split design and center-tenting ability...

Since it's fully programmable,  there are numerous keys that could be sacrificed for "size".

Offline Calyx

« Reply #202 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 16:30:26 »
How about a miniDox?

http://www.riitek.com/en/product-detail-427.html  (Click to Enlarge Photos)

(espicially fot tp4tissue)

Idk what fot is...

But, a smaller ergodox would be fine, as long as it retains split design and center-tenting ability...

Since it's fully programmable,  there are numerous keys that could be sacrificed for "size".

This is the MicroDox layout that I'll be using. https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=CTL63V&hash=9ff8ddbb75e03e517aaa39acabc81669
Setup: Microdox (Workman-P) & Tilted Msft Trackball Explorer

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:55:49 »
Wouldn't a mini ergodox be basically the original (and still evolving) key64 design? I mean, you can't get much smaller than that, because keys won't get much smaller without sacrificing comfort.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 18:07:40 »
Look up the ErgoTravel ;)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #205 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 06:48:29 »
Look up the ErgoTravel ;)

No thumb clusters on that one.  :'( Must... have.... thumb... clusters...  :-\

At least for my use.  :rolleyes:

Otherwise a very nice looking little board.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Ch0nG

« Reply #206 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 16:11:52 »
I recently got my Ergodox (Full-Hand, ErgoClears) and I'm really enjoying it. :)

My favorite things about it (in no particular order):
  • Thumb clusters
  • Ease of programming/reprogrammability
  • The layering ability and ease of switching between them.

Since I've never used a split keyboard I decided to go Colemak from the get go and it's working out OK.
Das Ultimate - Blues - Converted to removable USB (Mimic-Cables) - 40 A-L WASD ORings
ErgoDox - ErgoClears ErgoDox - 65g Blues

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #207 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 22:10:21 »
so im bringing this thread back

wanted to share my layout overhaul

after using the ergodox for what i can't believe has been 9 months almost i have been wanting to make these tweaks for a long time to my layout. priority 1 was to get the f keys into my layout

its also a layout in which with a DSA keycap set from group buys like Hyperfuse, you can use many of the key caps with legends and if you wanted to use a DCS group buy with it it would only take finding 4x2u keys and 8x1.5u keys to allow a dcs kit to work with decent results

Secondly ive decided another big change. I got rid of the tenting and switched to flat but i have the hands far away from each other, they are near the width of my shoulders. the mouse or trackball is in the center.

I think its fine ergonomically like this, one of the biggest things i notice is that without tenting my typing speed increases

If your wondering my wooden/aluminium/white edox is pretty much broke for good, im going to rebuild it with a new pcb instead of wasting my time figuring out whats up.

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #208 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 05:21:58 »

The ugly:
This design is highly modal, meaning a steep learning curve, especially when the keys will be unlabeled.

You can use tmk firmware for ergodox (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48106.0), the tap action can let you access another layer by holding a key, or make a key acting as a modifier key by holding the key (https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/doc/keymap.md#41-tap-key)

In your case, I think the ACTION_MODS_TAP_KEY(MOD_RSFT, KC_GRV) function is what you need

Offline Fatrat

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 14:55:01 »
How am I liking my Ergodox? It's awsome.

I got it in the August drop. Arrived in the UK sometime in Nov/Dec but I didn't get it built until the Christmas holiday. I was totally amazed that it worked. The last soldering I did was in school and didn't work. Thanks to some great tips from friends and the loan of a load of gear I managed to complete the board with only two dodgy SMDs, which were easily fixed.

The pictures show it in use and my solution to getting some tenting. I use it with the two halves fairly far apart so the degree of tenting I need is small. I can't remember who it was on the forum that suggested using the door stops but they work well and are very cheap. I also cut and filed the screws down to tidy the bottom up and remove the sharp edges for when the board goes in my bag.

52887-0
52889-1
52891-2

The layout (https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=T2T4QN&hash=05dca23f1c61874c3d7cd093179e46cf) is fairly standard. I need to swap between the Dox and my laptop keyboard all the time so needed to keep some of the keys nearer where they are on the Mac. I moved CTRL to a thumb for Emacs shortcuts I use a lot (ctri-a, d, f, b, k etc) and have another ctrl on the bottom row for some of the combo shortcuts I use to move windows around and change virtual desktops.

Layer 2 is pretty blank. I haven't really got to grips with what I can use it for yet. The next stage is to get the tmc firmware installed (I have it compiled but haven't modified the layout to match the massdrop one yet) so that I can have mouse keys and media keys. I also need screen brightness: has anyone got that to work?

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 16:05:00 »
Glad to see this thread brought back.  I just got my ErgoDox built earlier this month (thanks MistakeMistake!).  Couple things I'm thinking about now, though:

1.  Do I want to tent my classic case?
2.  Do I want to find a full-hand case?  My second kit is another classic case - not sure I want two.

I haven't had the chance to use it extensively, yet, due to my current workload/deadlines.  Though I have been able to load/test out a few layouts on/off for a couple hours. 

I've tried both Glod's and daerid's (thanks to both of you for sharing).  And another that I created by merging a few aspects from both.  I'm constantly scripting so some layouts I've found floating around GH and online just don't work for my day to day.  One thing I've found is that, like Glod, I need F5/F8 on my primary layer.

[Layout.01]
[Layout.02]

...something that's been on my mind, too - creating a sub-layer to simulate the Matias Half-Keyboard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2014, 16:08:56 by wiredPANDA »
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline kod

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 19:48:02 »
So the massdrop package showed up...
and my immediate reaction upon trying it is theres no way the thumb clusters will work for my hands.

Ive used columnar layouts with thumb keys before (kinesis), but I can't see this working for me.

Did anyone else who had that initial reaction end up liking it, or should I just sell this one on?  I havent even taken the paper off the acrylic yet....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 20:25:57 »
So the massdrop package showed up...
and my immediate reaction upon trying it is theres no way the thumb clusters will work for my hands.

Ive used columnar layouts with thumb keys before (kinesis), but I can't see this working for me.

Did anyone else who had that initial reaction end up liking it, or should I just sell this one on?  I havent even taken the paper off the acrylic yet....

LOL... tenting bro.. tenting..

i didn't think the thumb cluster would work either. until the board was tented, and then i though.. Ohhh.......

if you just lay your hand on it...  realize that you're still thinking  "regular" rectangular keyboard..

Your mind hasn't adjusted to the "NEW" movements that will be required to use the ergodox..

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 11:11:16 »
I really only use the two long keys of the thumb clusters during everyday typing. The 1x buttons are used for extraneous stuff.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #214 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 19:10:11 »
The overall idea of the ergodox is great, and in practice it’s better than a standard keyboard, but the thumb key layout is IMO pretty silly, with only 2 very-easy-to-press keys per thumb, and an awkward gap next to the main thumb key that should have a key in it.

Basically, the design of the thumb cluster was just copied from the Kinesis and flattened, without much thought going into the physical movements that are easiest for the thumb. Among keyboards with this particular style of thumb cluster, the Maltron has the best 3-dimensional position/angle of the thumb keys, in my opinion. For a keyboard that’s going to have each half in its own flat plane, it’s possible to do much better than the current Ergodox design.

For example, Obra’s http://keyboard.io design is dramatically better.

Offline Internet Friend

« Reply #215 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 21:38:33 »
No doubt there's room for improvement, but as it is I use all of the thumb keys. I've got navigation keys and cut/copy/paste/undo on the 1x keys. I do have a pretty severe 15 degree tent going on, if that's really the difference.

Offline bisl

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 12:54:05 »
I agree about the 1x thumb buttons. Got the Ergodox to be able to move the modifiers (which I use constantly) and to better use my thumbs without strain. The two 2x keys are fine - I use 'em for enter, space and shifts - but it's hard to use mods on the others. I don't want to move the mods back to the bottom left and right, however, as that strains my thumb and pinky.

Thinking of maybe putting ctrl and alt on the first two inner keys of the bottom row. On the outer 1.5x column is no good, as I don't mind those for stuff like tab and backspace but can't stand them for anything I have to hold.

Has anyone tried putting a higher keycap on the 1x thumbs, for instance an SA row 1 or DCS row 5, so that it's easier to reach over the 2x thumb keys?

Current layout, as I'm learning the board:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=4DQTDG&hash=5ce9978e58b8542158c3060d7d11856f
Haven't yet decided what to do with the inner 1.5s as they're acting a bit funny and I haven't had time to debug them. I've based it on querty so it's less of a problem when I have to use other people's keyboards.

This post is really old, but here's my current config with keycaps:

My thumb rests, generally, on the left 1.5x key, which is Shift. I have my arrows on layer 1, and F-keys/keypad on layer 2, and both layer 1 and layer 2 are accessible on the thumb clusters as well. Furthermore, the contour of the keys makes it very easy to chord many modifier combinations: Ctrl-Shift, Ctrl-L1, Shift-L1, Alt-Shift, Alt-Shift-F2, Ctrl-Shift-F2, Ctrl-F2, etc. Right thumb does all modifiers, while left thumb handles space/backspace.

To accomplish this, I do need two Ctrl keys, which is too bad. Furthermore, Ctrl-Alt is annoying to hit--but honestly, I've only needed Ctrl-Alt about three times in the past year in order to reset my password in Windows for work.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 14:47:47 »
This week does mark 1 year of using the ErgoDox and making it my primary keyboard.

I think i had to be one of the first handful of people to build the massdrop round 1 kit. The ergodox was a game changer for me. I have a a history, dating back before i was using mechanical, of switching up mice and keyboards every few months and the fact i am still using this ergodox shows just how much i love it. Anyone that follows me knows my ergodoxes changes appearances often so i never go bored lol.

My first ergodox was built April 8th 2013 with krytox-mix lubed reds. reds i pulled from the famous $25 RK9000 deal

As documented on Flickr, I've build and rebuilt my 2nd(RIP) and 3rd ergodox with whites, blues, feather blues, browns, clears, and ergo clears and although all that testing was fun, I keep going back to the first, now heavily beat up, ergodox because after so much use the broken in lubed reds the quietest, smoothest, absolute buttery switches i have ever used, i want to change the weight with different springs but i am afraid to mess up how good these feel. Stock reds feel nothing like these. I thought I liked clicky and tactile switches but i keep coming back to lubed linear.

This is my current layout and favorite layout so far, similar to my last shared layout its pc gaming and keycap friendly and also allows me quick uses of keys i need for work and gaming.

If any ergodox owners are unaware, there is a keycap group buy going on via signature plastics called Granite http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/granite-set-pbt-dye-sub-dsa/ it is dye sub pbt DSA, should last forever, and allows ergodox users to grab keys with legends for every key properly. this is THE essential key cap set for the ergodox and i think is worth the cost.

/rant

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 15:05:54 »
Also wanted to add something about how people have their ergodox arranged on their desk

i have tried tented and not tented and i found that i like to tent if i want/need both my hands close together but i like it flat if i put the hands far apart with the mouse in the center. My hands are alligned with my shoulder width and i have my desk tray lowered where my wrists are level with my elbows.

In fact i think the hands at shoulder width is the proper way you should use the erogodox (tented or not tented), i see many people recently with their ergodox hands really close together and wonder if they have tried the hands far apart yet, one of the key design elements of the erogodox is the ability to spread them out. the ergonomics seem better far apart, especially if you want to keep them flat.

as for what is in the center of my ergodox hands, I was using a slimblade trackball with my ergodox for most of last year but my slimblade broke and i went back to mouse, the mionix naos 3200 and found i like the mouse better as a gamer, ergonomics be damned.

/second rant

Offline wuqe

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 15:31:39 »
Congratulations, Glod! Meanwhile, I am only six months in myself, but also loving the thing.

I appreciate your thoughts on placement; I may have to look at mine more critically now.

I'll second PBT granite for being the perfect set for the Ergodox. I'm looking forward to mine gaining some legit legends.

Offline AntiFish03

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:14:05 »

Just finished mine about 4 hours ago... its like learning to type all over again.

Pros:  nice smooth keypress with the cherry mx reds I choose.

Cons: not enough keys for all the symbols to be in the correct location.  So I am trying to not only learn the keyboard but my custom layout too.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #221 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:24:24 »
Fewer keys isn't a con! At least once you get used to layers with these special symbols right in the resting home position. I recommend using the bottom-row keys under FJ as modifiers.