Author Topic: Super rare IBM Model M - Only 4 in exsistance!  (Read 22672 times)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
Re: Super rare IBM Model M - Only 4 in exsistance!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 22:44:40 »
#MANDOLINCRYSTAL

Offline calavera

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 22:45:46 »
I'm seriously getting tired of that crystal BULL****. Didn't he get **** from literally every forum he posted? tsk tsk

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 23:05:18 »
so , this is not rare?

"This keyboard is even rarer than SSK, Industrial and M15 put together."

must be rare
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 23:21:05 »
The seller sounds like a real douchebag. I hope he's trying to be sarcastic, but I seriously doubt it.

Offline metafour

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 00:21:29 »
**** yeah. Round 2. I believe this is half the previous eBay asking price.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 00:43:48 »
Hope he gets what he deserves.  I hate having to step over such listings. 

Maybe I should check mine - if I find a 5th I'll devalue his stock.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 00:47:47 »
**** yeah. Round 2. I believe this is half the previous eBay asking price.

My only qualm with the auction is that while there exists photographic evidence of at least four of these on the internet, there are likely more than four in existence. Still, I can't just PM everyone with an early M to take theirs apart, can I?

Still, it's a good looking keyboard. You never know what it's worth to a collector.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 00:49:19 by dorkvader »

Offline Larken

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 02:36:23 »
actually, the previous listing was increased to 1500 for some reason. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEST-MODEL-IBM-Model-M-Keyboard-Silver-Label-Resilient-Crystal-Clock-4Mhz-/181151999637

I don't usually have a problem with people listing what they think is a right price for their item (if its too high, just walk away), but I have to agree that this is pretty ridiculous. doubt there's only 4 in existence either.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 07:38:39 »
Like the bar advertising "the coldest beer in the world" and the owner says "As far as I know, nobody else's is colder!"

PS - the keyboard universe begins and ends with Geekhack. That's why Ripster was the #1 keyboard expert in the world!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 09:07:10 »
You keep on advertising my sales, stahp please  ^-^

More
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 09:19:59 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 09:42:34 »
I know little or nothing about most of it... However, as a budding gemmologist I feel I must point something out.

"[...]It uses real organic quarts crystal.[...]" from the listing

Quartz is an inorganic compound of silicone and oxygen.  And by real organic I presume you're implying that it's a natural crystal rather than a synthetic?  If so then you're undoubtedly incorrect.  They hydrothermal process is cheep, easy and produces perfect reproducible quartz kilo after kilo.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 09:48:28 »
Quartz is an inorganic compound of silicone and oxygen.  And by real organic I presume you're implying that it's a natural crystal rather than a synthetic?  If so then you're undoubtedly incorrect.  They hydrothermal process is cheep, easy and produces perfect reproducible quartz kilo after kilo.

Especially since the claim about these crystals is that they are better quality than the metal can type ones, I can't imagine why someone would want to use a natural crystal with all it's impurities over a synthetic.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 09:55:35 »

Especially since the claim about these crystals is that they are better quality than the metal can type ones, I can't imagine why someone would want to use a natural crystal with all it's impurities over a synthetic.

Gonna change that then.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 09:57:10 »
Ill be watching this thread grow.....*grabs popcorn and sits back :p
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline 1391406

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 10:15:39 »
Mandolin, why do you keep changing the percentage that goes to charity each listing? For example, you changed the percentage to 100% on the last day of your $1,500 listing vs. only 10% for your current listing.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline ed_avis

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 10:19:59 »
Can you use the crystal to realign your orgone chakra energy fields?

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 10:23:00 »
Mandolin, why do you keep changing the percentage that goes to charity each listing? For example, you changed the percentage to 100% on the last day of your $1,500 listing vs. only 10% for your current listing.

As the final day of the listing approaches, I put it up. It Started as a 40%, then 7X%, then 95% and a hundred at the end. You can't take it back as you'd now. No reason really, just a whim. I could sell it with no charity percentage whatsoever. But I always choose that reasearch center because I'm commited to that cause in particular.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 10:25:26 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline 1391406

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 10:36:39 »

As the final day of the listing approaches, I put it up. It Started as a 40%, then 7X%, then 95% and a hundred at the end. You can't take it back as you'd now. No reason really, just a whim. I could sell it with no charity percentage whatsoever. But I always choose that reasearch center because I'm commited to that cause in particular.

Of course you could sell it with no charity attached whatsoever, but it's easy to claim you're not trying to rip people off if an item is linked to a charity, per this interaction:

metafour: "I guess someone's desired end is to take people's money. And lots of it."

Mandolin: "If you'd see in detail the ebay link, you'd get its for a good cause."

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44308.0

It's a good face-saving strategy.

Initially bump up the sell price and maintain a low charity percentage, and if the item fails to sell, raise both the sell price and charity percentage (ultimately to 100% on the last day) so no one will accuse you of price gouging.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 10:42:20 by 1391406 »
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 10:39:08 »

Of course you could sell it with no charity attached whatsoever, but it's easy to claim you're not trying to rip people off if an item is linked to a charity, per this interaction:

metafour: "I guess someone's desired end is to take people's money. And lots of it."

Mandolin: "If you'd see in detail the ebay link, you'd get its for a good cause."

Initially bump up the sell price and maintain a low charity percentage, and if the item fails to sell, raise both the sell price and charity percentage (ultimately to 100% on the last day) so no one will accuse you of price gouging.

You're pretty much spot on. I doubt anyone will buy it at the price listed.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 10:48:50 »

BRING IT ON! I stepped it up. See how I rip off people with a 100% percent giveaway. 

You either have the money I ask or don't, it doesn't matter what do I do with it, be it charity or some new rolex. That's as far as the buyer need to worry about.

More
Maybe I'd relist it 0% charity given percentage some of this days, who knows.

That quote you put was in the context of the last sale, as percetages may vary, it WAS for a good cause back then when I posted it, it might not be in the future for the same reason. Context, context, context.

If somebody offers me a deal outside ebay I might take it.

Face saving what? I've got no reputation to maintain. I didn't even ask for the forum attention, you people keep posting links to my auctions.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 22:15:30 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:05:46 »
So just for reference how does a buyer know if the proceeds actually go to charity?

I mean 100% of the proceeds of anything I ever sell goes to either the charity called, 'My wife and kids" and/or the charity called "ray's geekhack fund".

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:06:58 »
So just for reference how does a buyer know if the proceeds actually go to charity?

I mean 100% of the proceeds of anything I ever sell goes to either the charity called, 'My wife and kids" and/or the charity called "ray's geekhack fund".

Must trust ebay paypal giving fund hahaha. It wouldn't have to matter to the buyer, the charity is a thing for the seller, the buyer ought to worry to get his item only and have the money to pay for it, because if he was worried about some ONG or something, he/she could deposit to that organization directly.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:09:05 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:08:43 »

If its on ebay, ebay takes 10% of the money before mandolin gets it, so he only gets 90% then -5% ebay fees then -5% paypal fees etc etc.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:19:16 »

Must trust ebay paypal giving fund hahaha. It wouldn't have to matter to the buyer, the charity is a thing for the seller, the buyer ought to worry to get his item only and have the money to pay for it, because if he was worried about some ONG or something, he/she could deposit to that organization directly.

The point I was trying to make is if I am selling something and say I've giving 50% to cancer research then someone might pay more for an item to support a cause. Regardless of what something is 'worth'.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:30:09 »
BRING IT ON! I stepped it up. See how I rip off people with a 100% percent giveaway.

You changed the percentage from 10% to 100% only after my previous post pointing out your inconsistency. The change is listed in the item revision history.

You either have the money I ask or don't, it doesn't matter what do I do with it. That's as far as the buyer need to worry about. I can give it away, I can spend it in some crazy pet, but that's my thing.

Who suggested you can't do what you want with the money?

That quote you put was in the context of the last sale, as percetages may vary, it WAS for a good cause when I posted it, it might not be in the future for the same reason. Context, context, context.

I started that thread and followed it. I'm fully aware of the context. You were basically accused of ripping people off. You rejected the notion by saying that the listing was for a good cause.

Face saving what? I've got no reputation to maintain. I didn't even post the link of the auction to the forum btw.

You were attempting to defend the price, were you not?

Personally, I don't really care how much you list it for. If someone's willing to buy it for a million dollars, more power to them. I'd think they're stupid but that's beside the point. The point is you're not very consistent, in my opinion. The only time you seem to care about listing the keyboard for charity (or giving a high percentage to such) is when someone questions your motives or the value of the keyboard. For example, how you changed the charity percentage from 10% to 100% in the last hour. People don't generally trust someone who's not consistent, so if you don't care whether you're consistent or not, that's your prerogative.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:36:07 »
The point I was trying to make is if I am selling something and say I've giving 50% to cancer research then someone might pay more for an item to support a cause. Regardless of what something is 'worth'.

If you originally list an item for $400 and give 10% to charity, then a week later raise the charity percentage to 70% but jack the price up to $1,500, you're still making over $400 on the item after charity proceeds. Hence, while it looks like you're giving the bulk of your funds to charity(which you are), you're actually making more than what you originally listed the item for. If the item doesn't sell, you can simply raise the charity percentage to 100% prior to ending the listing to make it appear you're an extremely benevolent soul.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:39:37 »
If it doesn't sell, no charity from now on. That should resolve the issue, no benevolent soul here.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:19:28 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline 1391406

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:40:32 »
It it doesn't sell, no charity from now on. That should resolve the issue.

Good for you.

Offline jalaj

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:45:22 »
There's a setting on eB@y to set your auction/BIN item to fund a charity of your choice, with prescreening if it isn't already on their master list. The proceeds should automatically go to the charity organization. That's what I'm assuming from their FAQ.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:48:16 »
It it doesn't sell, no charity from now on. That should resolve the issue, no benevolent soul here.

I think we as geekhackers just don't want to see anyone getting ripped off....

Not saying that's what your doing or anything.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:51:03 »
It it doesn't sell, no charity from now on. That should resolve the issue, no benevolent soul here.

I think we as geekhackers just don't want to see anyone getting ripped off....

Not saying that's what your doing or anything.

Heaven does not have a pricetag.

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:18:30 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline Dimswitch

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:33:04 »
10/10. Probably the most elaborate troll I've ever seen.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 14:02:21 »
On an unrelated note, how can I add someone to the ignore list?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 14:09:09 »
On an unrelated note, how can I add someone to the ignore list?

geekhack » Profile of hoggy » Buddies/Ignore List » Edit Buddies

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 14:22:00 »
That's much better!  Thanks!

PS - JZ, sorry for the off topic post. :)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 12:55:24 »
is this listing for real, or is it just a joke? $1000 for whatever bs crystals?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:48:22 »
is this listing for real, or is it just a joke? $1000 for whatever bs crystals?

Real my friend, real as it gets.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 06:08:41 »
what makes these crystals so unique and special, is what I'd like to know. Being 'of good quality' doesn't cut it.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 08:33:37 »
In terms of impact to the keyboard as a keyboard, nothing.

In terms of impact to the keyboard as a collectors item., nothing if you don't have issues of some sort.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
EPIC CRYSTAL IS EPIC
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 10:28:19 »
what makes these crystals so unique and special, is what I'd like to know. Being 'of good quality' doesn't cut it.

Crystal by itself nothing, you could buy a KG of quartz at your local store.
This particular square, w/4 pins, uncanned 4mhz high resilience crystal in a model M, is pretty rare.

It gives you epic bragging rights
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2013, 11:09:53 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 10:31:34 »
haha! bragging rights! Yup, it takes a collector to appreciate these things!

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
ERASE
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 10:39:08 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2013, 11:06:03 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline 1391406

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 11:02:01 »
I consider myself a collector of sorts, but it'd take something other than a rare quartz crystal to make it a collectible for me.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 11:55:55 »
Mandolin threads never cease to amuse me.  Looks like I need to bust out the popcorn.  When he first showed up, I noticed he was racing to try and hit the min for classifieds so that he could sell stuff to the community and make a profit off of it.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 13:31:24 »
Info added to the sale: Crystal made by TEW denpa co. ltd (Tokyo, japan), outer shell made of glass.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 15:52:25 »
Info added to the sale: Crystal made by TEW denpa co. ltd (Tokyo, japan), outer shell made of glass.

Interesting! Where did you come by this information? I wonder if we can find out more, like the ppm specification.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 21:03:46 »

Interesting! Where did you come by this information? I wonder if we can find out more, like the ppm specification.

In the same crystal: Y1: 1351544 4.00MHz TEW5 43 A

TEW appeared after looking it up was as prominent company specializing in crystal oscillators from way back, as of today, hence the link.
The first number must be the model or manufacturer ID of some sort, but its not currently listed anywhere. I sent a inquiry to them to see if the could get me some more info and I'm waiting for the answer.
The outer glass shell is because at the time it was used, but I must confirm it still.

I recommend this series of videos to anyone wanting to get a quick review of crystal oscillators. He shows some vintage ones:

Finally, to sum up my sentiment:

When the rain came I thought you'd leave
Cause I knew how much you loved the Crystal
But you chose to stay, stay and keep me warm
Through the darkest nights Ive ever known
If the mandolin wind couldnt change a thing
Then I know I love ya

Oh the rubber domes fell without a break
Model M died in the frozen fields you know
Through the coldest winter in almost twenty five years
I couldnt believe you kept your shine
Now I can rest assured knowing that weve seen the worst
And I know I love ya

Oh I never was good with romantic words
So the next few lines come really hard
Don't have much but what Ive got is yours
Except of course my crystal
Ha, cause I know you don't play canned
But I'll teach you one day
Because I love ya

I recall the night we knelt and prayed
Noticing your caps were thin and pale
I found it hard to hide my tears
I felt ashamed I felt I'd let you down
No mandolin wind couldnt change a thing
Couldnt change a thing no, no

The coldest winter in almost fourteen years
Could never, never change your mind

And I love yer 4 Mhz
Yes indeed and I love your trans-lu-cen-cy
And I love yer Quartz
Lordy I love ya Crystal
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2013, 21:39:31 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 21:54:33 »
Sigh. From my LED-less 1386719...

26060-0

IBM put their own part numbers on just about everything they could - from the CPU down to the smaller logic chips - probably anything big enough to print on. Most likely 1000s of crystals as well.  :p
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2013, 21:56:28 by Soarer »