Author Topic: Best Anti-Spyware?  (Read 10723 times)

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Best Anti-Spyware?
« on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 21:16:13 »
I've been pirating stuff alot lately (teehee) and ended up with some random ****e. What anti-spyware program would you guys recommend?
I hate everything.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Best Anti-Spyware?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 21:16:54 »
I like Microsoft security essentials.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 21:21:12 »
I like Microsoft security essentials.

^^ this is good

I also like malwarebytes

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 21:23:08 »
I don't use one regularly. I'm just careful with what I download. It's very easy to not get viruses even if you pirate regularly.

I have malwarebytes & MSE installed. I scan once a month just incase but for the past six months they've turned up negative.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 21:26:34 »
It's weird I've pirated stuff for years, but my favorite site got shut down and I got a little reckless..
I hate everything.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 21:32:20 »
It's weird I've pirated stuff for years, but my favorite site got shut down and I got a little reckless..
I recommend you do the following :

1. Get a seedbox. You can rent seedboxes that are already setup or you can do the following :
-Rent a cheap dedicated server with debian server installed.
-Install seedbox software - rtorrent (torrent client), rutorrent (web interface - allows you to add torrents through a website).
-Setup SFTP. The use of SFTP means that any peers can only see the file size and file format. This way you simply cannot get done for pirating.
The advantage of a seedbox is that it will constantly seed your torrents at high speeds. It's also much more secure.

Why do you need a seedbox though?
2. Join private trackers. These are specific trackers, for example what.cd is for music, tehconnection.eu is for movies etc.
They are invite only. You have to seed what you've downloaded which is why you ideally need a seedbox. The files on these sites are usually higher quality (especially when it comes to music) and you won't find any viruses here.
github

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 23:44:07 »
I like Avast because it's free, easy to uninstall if you wanna, you can turn off all the auto update **** if you wanna, and it is very customizable in terms of what and how you specifically want scanned.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 00:09:19 »
Mac

This is my download folder icon:

I was looking for a VPN. Ya'll are say'in that a Seedbox is better?
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2013, 00:13:12 by Input Nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 02:21:24 »
I don't use Amazuntu and software by companies such as Google or Microsoft. Also, I use software mostly from trusted sources. (Who the hell would pirate free software anyway?) In other words, the best way to get rid of spyware is... well, just don't install it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 03:08:38 »
This is actually a major part of my job, dealing with malware.

I wouldn't touch MSE for several reasons.
A. It's common, too common, especially for noobs, this means it's a ripe target.
B. You have all your eggs in one basket, I.E. Microsoft, who has a history of being sh*t when it comes to stopping malware. You have them handling your o.s. security, your av security... No. Diversity is good.
C. http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-security-essentials-fails-another-antivirus-test

The only thing I have seen it do well was deal with a rootkit. However, it required making a disk and blah blah blah... Tdsskiller did it in a quarter the time and without a boot disk.

As for what to run, frankly most malware is coming in through web advertisements. In fact the last survey showed only 3% was coming through email and no single approach will stop it all (well, almost).

I have well over 300 systems running this setup, including my own, it's a multi-pronged approach, however, it's relatively low in resources and all of these programs are free(!). Anything I work on, ends up with this setup (unless they recently bought something like Norton) and the business owners and I try in earnest to make sure nothing gets on their network without being checked first as most have seen the results first hand. In fact, that is usually why I get called in the first place.

Level1
Run an adblocker. Adblock Pro for Chrome, and Adblock Edge for Firefox. This blocks 90%+ of the junk out there.
Level 2
Winpatrol. Winpatrol is a VERY low resource program (uses only 3megs of memory) that most of the time sits idle. Every few minutes, it simply scans every autostart location in Windows. It keeps a list of approved programs, and if something new pops up, it simply asks you if you want to allow it. It's a much better version of the U.A.C.  If YOU are careful, this program alone is the best anti-virus program there is, and is probably the only pro-active one on the market (rather than reactive). My brother and I went 6 months with only this and an adblocker and never caught anything despite being careless. In fact it was so good, I was worried about losing my business if I installed it on customer computers. I didn't need to worry, people are always the biggest threat.

At this point, it's pretty much only user error that allows the system to be infected, which is why...
Level 3
Avast Free. I have Avast Free running. This is their basic protection, I absolutely hate firewalls (biggest con job the anti-malware industry has put over on the general public, topic for another discussion) and "internet protection" packages. This is mostly to protect from anything I download or comes through my network.

If I suspect something has gotten through, that too has a multipronged approach.
First is Tdsskiller, this removes rootkits.
Second is ComboFix, this takes care of 90% of the junk you will get.
Third is Super Antispyware
Fourth is MalwareBytes.
After this, I uninstall all of these, then run CCleaner to clean out the temp files and the registry.
At this point, the system should be squeaky clean.

If I do have something I suspect is flakey, I run it on a system I use a sandbox system.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 04:29:54 »
I would recommend having a job and simply buying things, its usually easier and quicker than stealing anyway and means you don't have to deal with the **** your dealing with now.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 06:12:46 »
I would recommend having a job and simply buying things, its usually easier and quicker than stealing anyway and means you don't have to deal with the **** your dealing with now.

Try before you buy. ~_^

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 06:40:03 »

Try before you buy. ~_^

Yeah, there are usually legal and easy ways to do that... hell apart from games I can't even pirate most of the content I consume becasue it's not on torrent or similar services becasue not that many people have it, and torrent traffic gets shaped so much (least for me) that Steam/GoG are much faster anyway.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 07:14:48 »

Thank you very much for this. I have become bewildered with the choices out there.

Since I started using personal computers in the mid-1980s, I have always liked "utilities" programs and the (probably) illusion that I was running a lean and mean machine. I used the Norton family of products until about 5-10 years ago when the ever-increasing cost and bloatware pushed me away.

I have used a variety of freeware since, for my "utilities" mostly CCleaner and Glary Utilities in recent years, which make me very happy. I also use Revo Uninstaller, and move quickly to fully uninstall anything that I suspect has sneaked in unexpectedly.

For several years I used AVG but it eventually seemed to slow me down too much. I switched to Avast a couple of years ago and have liked it a lot. Windows Defender seems OK, and I run it at least once a month, but it never finds anything. I do strive to be careful with what I allow in, so maybe I beat it to the punch.

Malwarebytes was also something I used regularly for several years, but in the last 6 months I have been having occasional and intermittent boot problems (Windows 7/Gigabyte mobo/small Samsung SSD boot drive). After every recovery, Malwarebytes was corrupted. Experimentation showed that uninstalling MB solved the problem, and whenever I re-installed it, I had a boot crash within a week or 2.

I can do without it, although I do rather like like it, and on my boss's computer (he is completely incompetent) it made getting rid of the FBI ransom virus quick and easy.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 07:18:42 »
I thought I got Epic internet rap3d yesturday,  all my 3 w7 systems went down.. turns out, avast antivirus made an update that caused the page fault in non-page area x50  error....

:D :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 07:26:25 »

A. It's common, too common, especially for noobs, this means it's a ripe target.
B. You have all your eggs in one basket, I.E. Microsoft, who has a history of being sh*t when it comes to stopping malware. You have them handling your o.s. security, your av security... No. Diversity is good.
C. http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-security-essentials-fails-another-antivirus-test

The only thing I have seen it do well was deal with a rootkit. However, it required making a disk and blah blah blah... Tdsskiller did it in a quarter the time and without a boot disk.

As for what to run, frankly most malware is coming in through web advertisements. In fact the last survey showed only 3% was coming through email and no single approach will stop it all (well, almost).

I have well over 300 systems running this setup, including my own, it's a multi-pronged approach, however, it's relatively low in resources and all of these programs are free(!). Anything I work on, ends up with this setup (unless they recently bought something like Norton) and the business owners and I try in earnest to make sure nothing gets on their network without being checked first as most have seen the results first hand. In fact, that is usually why I get called in the first place.

Level1
Run an adblocker. Adblock Pro for Chrome, and Adblock Edge for Firefox. This blocks 90%+ of the junk out there.
Level 2
Winpatrol. Winpatrol is a VERY low resource program (uses only 3megs of memory) that most of the time sits idle. Every few minutes, it simply scans every autostart location in Windows. It keeps a list of approved programs, and if something new pops up, it simply asks you if you want to allow it. It's a much better version of the U.A.C.  If YOU are careful, this program alone is the best anti-virus program there is, and is probably the only pro-active one on the market (rather than reactive). My brother and I went 6 months with only this and an adblocker and never caught anything despite being careless. In fact it was so good, I was worried about losing my business if I installed it on customer computers. I didn't need to worry, people are always the biggest threat.

At this point, it's pretty much only user error that allows the system to be infected, which is why...
Level 3
Avast Free. I have Avast Free running. This is their basic protection, I absolutely hate firewalls (biggest con job the anti-malware industry has put over on the general public, topic for another discussion) and "internet protection" packages. This is mostly to protect from anything I download or comes through my network.

If I suspect something has gotten through, that too has a multipronged approach.
Fourth is MalwareBytes.
After this, I uninstall all of these, then run CCleaner to clean out the temp files and the registry.

If I do have something I suspect is flakey, I run it on a system I use a sandbox system.

I forgot about winpatrol I used to use it all the time.

It goes on sale every once in a while for $0.99 I believe for the plus version!! In case anyone is interested.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 07:32:15 »
This is a load of ****. Pirating =/= viruses. See my earlier post. If you're stupid with how you use the internet then you'll end up with viruses even if you don't pirate.
github

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 07:50:27 »
This is a load of ****. Pirating =/= viruses. See my earlier post. If you're stupid with how you use the internet then you'll end up with viruses even if you don't pirate.

Pipe down kiddo, that's not what I said at all.

I've been pirating stuff alot lately (teehee) and ended up with some random ****e

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 08:00:31 »
linux
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 08:08:09 »
You're missing my point. If someone manages to get viruses while pirating then they're probably going to get viruses even if they were to stop pirating.
github

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 08:13:36 »
You're missing my point. If someone manages to get viruses while pirating then they're probably going to get viruses even if they were to stop pirating.

Why?
He said he was taking risks in order to pirate (which I assume means going off trusted trackers etc)... if he hasn't had problems prior to this (given that he is only asking for help now) it's safe to assume that he's fairly competent and that the only reason he has a problem is from downloading (trying to pirate) from untrusted sites, a problem he would never have if he didn't pirate...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 08:21:23 »

Why?
He said he was taking risks in order to pirate (which I assume means going off trusted trackers etc)... if he hasn't had problems prior to this (given that he is only asking for help now) it's safe to assume that he's fairly competent and that the only reason he has a problem is from downloading (trying to pirate) from untrusted sites, a problem he would never have if he didn't pirate...

ah... I don't think there is such a thing as "trusted" pirate sites.

You take a risk with anything... internet files, that hot blonde that 12 other guys have gotten in before you, only 3 of which she admits to anyone...

So you see.....   Don't do anything with the computer that could epic screw up your life..

DO NOT online bank, DO NOT trade stocks on the same home line you use for pr0n, Everything else just keep a backup

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 08:24:50 »
I don't use anti virus, just re-install all over again..lol
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 08:57:46 »
Why?
I still think it's highly likely that he would get the odd virus even if he stopped visiting The sites he is currently visiting. OP, correct me if I'm wrong in saying this.
Also, it's not the fact that he's pirating that's getting him the viruses. It's the fact that he's pirating the wrong way.
github

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 10:11:57 »
I don't use anti virus, just re-install all over again..lol

This works fine if you arn't going to risky sites...  but..... who can do that these days... hidden links plastered everywhere

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 23:46:47 »

For several years I used AVG but it eventually seemed to slow me down too much. I switched to Avast a couple of years ago and have liked it a lot. Windows Defender seems OK, and I run it at least once a month, but it never finds anything. I do strive to be careful with what I allow in, so maybe I beat it to the punch.

You're welcome.

I used to use AVG on all the systems I maintained, but like you, I saw it become a bloated pain in the neck.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 00:11:44 »
Lelslieann:
Thank you for your info, I believe it is very helpful for virtually every GH'er. Valuable to have an educated, experienced, knowledgable offer of information. (and by experienced, I didn't mean "old" should you possibly be female and ridiculously overly sensitive about such silly things). I use Mac  so it doesn't apply to me but I fully recognize the extreme value of your contribution.

Baldgye:
Thank you for what sounds to be a moral judgement. Of course you're technically correct. We all know the what's legal/not legal regarding getting something for free via the internet when it's for sale on and off the internet.

This is my question for you....
Do you pirate anything illegally from the internet? Your first statements would indicate you do not, but your subsequent statements indicate you possibly do. Would like to know where you stand so I can possibly understand where you're really coming from. Keep in mind that the NSA is watching this thread. Choose your words carefully.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 00:39:42 »
Lelslieann:
Thank you for your info, I believe it is very helpful for virtually every GH'er. Valuable to have an educated, experienced, knowledgable offer of information. (and by experienced, I didn't mean "old" should you possibly be female and ridiculously overly sensitive about such silly things). I use Mac  so it doesn't apply to me but I fully recognize the extreme value of your contribution.

You're welcome
Female, yes, sensitive, not very.

Keep in mind that the NSA is watching this thread. Choose your words carefully.
NSA cannot keep information on US citizens, nor can their info be used to prosecute you. Plus, piracy is way below their  radar. The FBI on the other hand... They do watch IRC channels and do prosecute US citizens.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 01:02:45 »
Lelslieann:

You're welcome
Female, yes, sensitive, not very.

Keep in mind that the NSA is watching this thread. Choose your words carefully.
NSA cannot keep information on US citizens, nor can their info be used to prosecute you. Plus, piracy is way below their  radar. The FBI on the other hand... They do watch IRC channels and do prosecute US citizens.

Rat bastards. All of 'em.

I'll pee in their cereal.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 03:39:03 »
Lelslieann:

Baldgye:
Thank you for what sounds to be a moral judgement. Of course you're technically correct. We all know the what's legal/not legal regarding getting something for free via the internet when it's for sale on and off the internet.

This is my question for you....
Do you pirate anything illegally from the internet? Your first statements would indicate you do not, but your subsequent statements indicate you possibly do. Would like to know where you stand so I can possibly understand where you're really coming from. Keep in mind that the NSA is watching this thread. Choose your words carefully.

**** the amatures at the NSA it's GCHQ I've gotta worry about!

And no I don't pirate stuff, mostly because it's easier just to buy things legally. The only digital content I use (other than software) is music; which I use iTunes/beatport and bandcamp for, video; DVDs are hella cheap and for everything else there is YouTube/iplayer/Netflix and then games steam/gog or eBay...

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 04:56:27 »
I've been pirating stuff alot lately

Shameless statement haha.

I've been using MSE, mainly because it's light and works relatively well for a free program. Even works for the windows that you've pirated  ;) . Although, after what Leslieann posted, I may have to rethink using it.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 05:00:48 »
More

Level1
Level 2

Level 3

Fourth is MalwareBytes.

Thank you for this, it's very informative. Based on context, you fix/recover computers for a living. And it looks like you just gave the essence of your job procedure out :) . This will be very useful for many of us.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 06:47:44 »

Try before you buy. ~_^

Yeah, there are usually legal and easy ways to do that... hell apart from games I can't even pirate most of the content I consume becasue it's not on torrent or similar services becasue not that many people have it, and torrent traffic gets shaped so much (least for me) that Steam/GoG are much faster anyway.

Not always. I sometimes need some outdated software (because newer releases are not backward-compatible or bloated), and copying is the only way to get it to work.

Music? There's no official/legal way to get some bootlegs.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 06:55:38 »

Try before you buy. ~_^

Not always.

That's why I said usually and not always.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 07:13:07 »
Thank you for this, it's very informative. Based on context, you fix/recover computers for a living. And it looks like you just gave the essence of your job procedure out :) . This will be very useful for many of us.
You're welcome, I hope at least a few find it useful.

I'm not worried about telling people what I use, it's only one aspect of my job, and people on here aren't potential customers. I only work on recommendation, I don't have a shop, I don't advertise, I don't even carry business cards, you have to know a customer to hire me and I don't come cheap.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 07:24:32 »

Try before you buy. ~_^

Not always.

Your "usually" means my "almost never". ~,^

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 07:37:46 »
how i do a virus removal at work

Manual removal
tdss killer
malwarebytes
superantispyware
avast free full scan (kaspersky rescue disk if necessary)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 07:58:24 »

Try before you buy. ~_^

Not always.

Your "usually" means my "almost never". ~,^

No, it means in most cases, there are things you cannot get legally... These days those are few and far between, especially when it comes music. Hell even the bizzare and ****ed up world of Vape music (or what ever people call it) is easier to buy than pirate... And most of the sites that support that are in random languages...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 17:13:50 »

Manual removal
tdss killer
malwarebytes
superantispyware
Manual is good, but not always practical, and sometimes a royal b*tch to find.
Combo Fix gets most of them without the hassle.

I would rather use a 5 minute tool than spend an hour digging.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 17:25:21 »

Manual removal
tdss killer
malwarebytes
superantispyware
Manual is good, but not always practical, and sometimes a royal b*tch to find.
Combo Fix gets most of them without the hassle.

I would rather use a 5 minute tool than spend an hour digging.
usually manual removal is to just get passed screens that lock you out of your comp and such. We get a TON of ransomware at my shop. havent used combofix in a long time, may give it a shot again :P

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 21:53:11 »
I'm not worried about telling people what I use, it's only one aspect of my job, and people on here aren't potential customers. I only work on recommendation, I don't have a shop, I don't advertise, I don't even carry business cards, you have to know a customer to hire me and I don't come cheap.

THIS CHICK AIN'T CHEAP!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, that struck me as funny :)

I once told someone "You can't afford me".... I was never sure that was appropriate, but I still laugh about it.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 10:53:40 »

Level1
Level 2

Level 3

Fourth is MalwareBytes.

The only trouble with security programs that require a lot of user intervention, is that most people are impatient and not very smart.  I've installed various programs that require users to approve or deny applications, and almost always they end up clicking approve without even looking at what the program is, which can be infuriating.  This pretty much defeats the purpose of these programs for anyone but power users.  About 10 years ago, I had a buddy of mine that kept getting viruses because he would just click allow every time.  After he asked me to cleanup his computer two times in one month, I gave it back to him with his desktop wallpaper set to tubgirl, and created a local group policy to prevent him from changing it.  This in itself was punishment enough in my opinion, but he also still was living with his mom, and she needed to use his computer from time to time.  LOL I was at his house when she sat down to use his computer, and she FREAKED OUT.  He tried to blame me for it, but I told his mom that it was his computer, he could change the background anytime he wanted, but that he is just a sicko that needs mental help.  Needless to say, he now pays attention to what he does, and hasn't had a virus since!  The moral of the story is that the best anti spyware is not being an idiot.  In a business environment, this translates to snitching on problem users to owners or top management.  I had a guy years ago that kept going to tranny porn websites AT WORK and getting viruses.  I reported what he was doing to management, and guess what, the problem stopped.  I've had to do this on more than a few occasions to people, it's pretty disturbing what some people think is acceptable to do at work.

I'm not going to get into specific software too much, since you covered it pretty well.  I would like to add that Avira also works pretty well and is free, and Autoruns from sysinternals works pretty well to clean up systems manually if you are a power user.  If people insist on downloading warez, I usually tell them to download and run it inside of a VM or at least a sandbox.

Also, hardware firewalls are great, for business customers, and only if you configure them.  I'm not talking about Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, etc., I'm referring to business grade firewalls.  If you block sites that you know people are getting viruses from, they no longer have the option.  You can control what comes in and out of your network, and that's a powerful thing.  I'm pretty sure by your comments that you are referring to software firewalls though, in which case I would agree, because people just click allow on everything anyway just to get the "annoying" popups out of the way.  If you support 300 users, and they are all part of the same network, I would HIGHLY recommend using a corporate cloud based antivirus that allows you to create policies and push them out.  It's much easier to manage false alarm virus exceptions that have valid business reasons this way.

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:04:37 »
Microsoft security essentials, AVG is ok too.
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:08:43 »
You're welcome, I hope at least a few find it useful.

You're doing it right.  Word of mouth is the most powerful advertising there is.  When people see that you genuinely want to help, and that you don't just see their problems as a chance to capitalize, they tell all of their friends.  Having a good personality also helps, because people like doing business with people they like.  I also do zero advertising, and all of the business owners I work with always tell their other business owner friends.  Also, I charge $125/hr, which is much more than a lot of "tech guys" who usually charge anywhere from $25-$75/hr.  The way you justify the cost is with the quality of your work.  It's apples and oranges out there, and you don't want to compete with the person that charges $25/hr and takes 10 hours to do something that takes you one hour to do, because they are frantically searching google since they have no idea what to do.  The way I look at it is that I would rather have a few profitable customers, instead of tons of customers where I don't make a lot.

Also, it's nice to see there are ladies in this industry as well.  I've been in IT professionally since 2000 in a bunch of different companies, and have never physically met a female tech or engineer.  This industry is dominated by weird dudes with no social skills.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:12:04 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:16:24 »
I just keep a backup image of my boot partition on 2 different harddrives, after compression, it's only 70gigs, and it's setup to run every day... I have the whole month's worth of different states backed up which is only 4TB on 2 low rpm samsungs.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:23:45 »
I just keep a backup image of my boot partition on 2 different harddrives, after compression, it's only 70gigs, and it's setup to run every day... I have the whole month's worth of different states backed up which is only 4TB on 2 low rpm samsungs.

Data deduplication is your friend.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 16:56:02 »
.......Also, it's nice to see there are ladies in this industry as well.  I've been in IT professionally since 2000 in a bunch of different companies, and have never physically met a female tech or engineer.  This industry is dominated by weird dudes with no social skills.

Would you care to rephrase? LOL

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 00:16:10 »
.......Also, it's nice to see there are ladies in this industry as well.  I've been in IT professionally since 2000 in a bunch of different companies, and have never physically met a female tech or engineer.  This industry is dominated by weird dudes with no social skills.

No.  LOL.

Offline UniClown

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 00:31:52 »

No.  LOL.

No "except me." At the end?