Author Topic: Best keypuller?  (Read 6349 times)

Offline xyeLz

Best keypuller?
« on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 21:47:22 »
The Topre one sucks...and I want a reliable one please!  :thumb:
ReΛlforce 87U - Capacitive (45g), ReΛlforce 103UB - Capacitive (Variable)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Best keypuller?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 21:56:05 »
I have one of these, works a treat!

Or, some members here actually design and make custom keycap pullers - have a browse around the vendor forums.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:01:02 »
Pretty much anything will work. I've heard, though not verified, people saying that wire keycap pullers damage the keycaps, which could be attributed to there being a rougher material (metal vs plastic) and less contact on a wire compared to a ring puller.
Anything really will work if you're gentle, though. Neither will be damaged if they are used with care as they should be, so use whatever.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Online HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:01:30 »
simple wire keycap puller is the best :cool:

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:45:36 »
Pretty much anything will work. I've heard, though not verified, people saying that wire keycap pullers damage the keycaps, which could be attributed to there being a rougher material (metal vs plastic) and less contact on a wire compared to a ring puller.
Anything really will work if you're gentle, though. Neither will be damaged if they are used with care as they should be, so use whatever.
I think you got it the wrong way round. The wire ones are fine (and the best :p). I have this in particular.

It's those plastic (sometimes metal) ones that clip on the sides of the keycap that are likely to cause damage.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:49:32 »
More expensive + cooler looking + larger =/= gentler on keycaps.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:51:43 »

My filco wire keypuller work pretty well.  But yes, some times it damage the keycap, especially SP abs keycaps. :(

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:56:23 »
I love the stainless steel MKC one I have. But a simple filco/wasd cap puller works just as well
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline xyeLz

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:20:51 »
Oh cool I like the look of the MKC one better than the techkeys.us one. Where can I get one of those or similar?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:22:29 »
Oh cool I like the look of the MKC one better than the techkeys.us one. Where can I get one of those or similar?
There was a GB awhile back.  Doubt you'll be able to snatch one now.  Can always try classifieds

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:23:19 »
This is the best one.

38264-0

Offline xyeLz

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:25:43 »
There was a GB awhile back.  Doubt you'll be able to snatch one now.  Can always try classifieds

Thanks! Can't yet, only 16 posts. ;)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:26:27 »
This thread is a good reminder, I need to get onto Nubbs to make me a keypuller.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:28:29 »
I'm a fan of the MKC one. The TechKeys one is the best one I've bought. I got the MKC as a present :D.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:28:59 »
My favorite of the cheaper plastic ones is this Leopold one: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,keytools&pid=leokp

It has a nice shape and grip, and the wires are spread nicely. I don't really like the Techkeys/Filco, etc. style ones, as the wires are weirdly shaped and have to be spread apart forcibly to work properly.

I also like the wooden one of originativeco.com, but that one is a bit more expensive. The MKC one is also nice.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:30:47 by esoomenona »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:30:21 »
I have a Filco one, it works fine for me.  However moose is right, you have to like spread them out its weird.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:31:26 »
The TechKeys one I got I liked because the wires were set into the plastic so they were already spread. The Filco and Ducky ones? I had to spread the wires myself. :(.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:38:28 »
The TechKeys one I got I liked because the wires were set into the plastic so they were already spread. The Filco and Ducky ones? I had to spread the wires myself. :(.

Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my god! Are you ok? Must have been really hard to spread some wires!

Lets start a non-profit charity so no one else has to experience what you had to go through. Be brave CPT, be brave!

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:47:01 »

Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my god! Are you ok? Must have been really hard to spread some wires!

Lets start a non-profit charity so no one else has to experience what you had to go through. Be brave CPT, be brave!

HOLD ME

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:48:15 »
Go at the key from an angle, it will spread for you.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:49:01 »
Lol I know how to work a keypuller guys. Just saying I prefer the pullers with the wires bent already.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:50:03 »
Lol I know how to work a keypuller guys. Just saying I prefer the pullers with the wires bent already.
#lazyamericans

:p

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 12:18:49 »
Dat Techkeys puller... got mine for free.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 12:57:03 »

HOLD ME

Only once I set up this charity

I'm thinking, the CPT is so new and finds it hard to spread wires and other menial task assistance charity. Or the CPTSNFHSWOMTAC

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 13:07:00 »
Someday I'll be old enough to know how to keyboard
And all you'll ever be is mean, The_Beast.

:|

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 13:08:38 »
Someday I'll be old enough to know how to keyboard
And all you'll ever be is mean, The_Beast.

:|

Don't count on it!

Offline SNF

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 13:10:55 »
Anything besides the one that comes in the Realforces

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 15:28:30 »
this H-shaped puller is my favourite. It works like a ring-type puller but the prongs are about 1/2" wide.
Well.. what you do you know. It does scratch ABS.
🍉

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 15:29:58 »
this H-shaped puller is my favourite. It works like a ring-type puller but the prongs are about 1/2" wide.
Well.. what you do you know. It does scratch ABS.

I need one of those in white.

Offline SNF

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 00:17:56 »
Where can I get a key cap puller for cheap?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 00:52:35 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SNF

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 04:04:41 »

Is $6 (plus postage) cheap?

http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/keycap-puller

Would it be better to make a home made one or pay for one?

I really just need this to remove some old caps and put on the new ones.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 04:52:57 »

Is $6 (plus postage) cheap?

http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/keycap-puller

Would it be better to make a home made one or pay for one?

I really just need this to remove some old caps and put on the new ones.

Better?

How well do you want to care for your precious keyboard?

With a little care, you can make your own wire keycap puller out of a couple of paperclips - people have done this before.

Or for something that would last you a bit longer and look much better, just buy one (and maybe get a couple of custom key caps at the same time).

:)

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 05:27:59 »
nubbinator's wooden pullers for sure
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 07:54:26 »
My Leopold key puller is by far the best.

If you don't want to spend any money, these work fine:

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 07:56:37 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2013, 07:59:31 by SpAmRaY »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:11:19 »
I prefer simple and cheap one. This does the job quickly.

But you can save your time and money with this.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:19:04 »
Show Image

^This is great  :))
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 16:02:25 »
Show Image

^This is great  :))

That is Thorpe though, wouldn't work quite as well with MX.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 01:53:28 »
I have one of these, works a treat!

Or, some members here actually design and make custom keycap pullers - have a browse around the vendor forums.

Recently I've been using my black palm one I made:

I love my Techkeys one, but there's just something about using one you've made yourself, especially when it works well.  And the heft and weight of it is nice too compared to the plastic ones which weigh nothing.

nubbinator's wooden pullers for sure

;D   :-*

Glad to see you're still using and loving that Walnut one. 

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 11:07:42 »
hahah i love it nubb
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 18:41:35 »
So earlier in this thread, I said the Leopold keypuller was better than the Filco keypuller. Today, I looked at them to try to determine why. And I figured it out.

The Filco one goes straight down, whereas the Leopold one is wider at a certain point. I can't really explain why, but this helps. I guess its to get around the caps easier.

Anyway, I took some pliers to my Filco one, and voila! It works a lot better now.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 18:46:25 »
Best keycap puller is the plastic ring type.. It's soft enough to not dent the keycap.. whereas the metal wire and metal ones in general may scratch or dig into the plastic keycaps.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 18:47:14 »
I use 2 pipe cleaners :))
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 18:53:08 »
I'm confused, so do wire or ring pullers scratch keycaps, or do both do that?

Offline stancato9

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 18:54:43 »

I only have a normal plastic one and it has scratched the side of keys. That's why I put 2 pipe cleaners under the key to pull them off. I feel like it does less damage.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 20:09:14 »

as far as scratch the "side-faces" of the keycap, the plastic ones are quite safe..

The wire type has a high chance of digging into the keycap skirt if you're not absolutely perfectly lined up to raise the cap with all 4 contact points in place... THIS is very hard and no one does it..

So... the wire type digs into keycaps..  they can be modded to not do so.. but the mod makes it slightly cumbersome.